Your Pokemon Story!

wowcrendor

Feb 19, 2009
I know the majority of us have played Pokemon. Some the older versions, some newer, but I want to know how you found out about the game. I personally was in third grade when the blue/red versions came out, and I watched my cousin play it at my house. He got excited after catching a Diglet, and that was enough reason for me to ask my parents to get me it for my birthday (Which was about two weeks away).

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
I think this may be the single saddest moment I've ever experienced while playing Pokemon...

Okay, the game is Emerald, the location is the Sky Pillar. For those who don't know this is a ruinous spiraling tower full of strange pokemon
( and okay, Golbats... but those fuckers are everywhere.) There are damaged sections on the floor I may only traverse on my Mach Bike, careening quickly over the dangerous floor just to make it to the next set of what are beginning to seem an endless number of stairs. I finally reach the top of the building, rubble and detritus all around me. There in the middle of all the destruction sits Rayquaza, coiled like a snake ready to strike. I save the game and approach the legendary beast. After the unique opening animation, the music starts and it is a tense, inspiring remix of the usual battle theme designed for this beast specifically and this beast only. I take a moment to appreciate this and the beast's impressive claws, mythical figure, and, though it is still a tiny sprite, how it manages to give off the impression of completely dwarfing my partner Armaldo. I have done my homework. I know this beast's types, it's move set, and even it's catch rate (3). This fearsome monster tops out the list of wild Pokemon in any game with it's impressive 70 levels of sheer power, 20 full levels over any member of my team. The imminent battle for mastery and control is almost overwhelming.
With a heavy heart I open my bag. I rifle through the pockets until I reach the ball section. I select the one lone purple ball inside and, before a single blow has been struck by or to the Sky High Pokemon, I throw it. The Legendary beast is unwillingly consumed by the fragile orb. It shakes twice, straining only slightly, and then falls dormant. I retrieve it, catalog the Guardian of the Skies in my PokeDex, and elect not to sully it's majesty with a pathetic mortal nickname. I leave.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
I was ready to rant supposing this'd be a fanfic thread, but now I'm disappointed :(

But yeah, I got it because I heard it was half decent and I wanted to be able to play a game, please remember that I was 5-6 when I bought the Sapphire Version and was even conned into buying Emerald a while later, but then I just managed to grow an emotional attachment to my virtual buddies and I had to abandon the game for my own sanity.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
Lol, on Pokémon gold I used that cloning trick to make like 20 master balls, I used the last one on a Ponyta on victory road XD.
Yea the Pokémon craze for me was a primary school thing, anyone who had a gameboy had pokémon to be honest.

deletemeplease107

Oct 15, 2008
I first started with the Yellow Version when i got it for my birthday ( i believe)
I loved my pikachu...

hrm...ima go dig out my sp and my yellow to see if it still works
:D

Nostalgia

Mar 8, 2009
EmileeElectro said:
Saturday morning TV.
This is how I believe I got into it, but then I think why I even watched Saturday morning programming in the first place. Then it's like, "oh, so it must of been the games!"
But then I don't remember how I found out about that either.

Damn. My memory is horrible.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
Gerazzi said:
I was ready to rant supposing this'd be a fanfic thread, but now I'm disappointed :(

But yeah, I got it because I heard it was half decent and I wanted to be able to play a game, please remember that I was 5-6 when I bought the Sapphire Version and was even conned into buying Emerald a while later, but then I just managed to grow an emotional attachment to my virtual buddies and I had to abandon the game for my own sanity.
Wow you're young. I feel old now :p

My first Pokemon game was Pokemon Blue and I can't exactly recall how I found out about it. I think I was about 7 and it was my best friend who had the game at the time, and I remember a Dewgong. That's about it. I probably liked it and then the next christmas (which is also my birthday) I got a copy of Pokemon Blue along with a Gameboy Colour. And it was the best christmas ever.

Hexadecimal16

Mar 11, 2009
Wow, I don't even remember how I first heard about it. TV or kids at school, I guess.

I just remember being like, 8 and getting a GBC and Pokemon Red for Christmas. I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Fast forward 9 years and my opinion on Pokemon hasn't changed much. Sadly.

shadow_pirate22

Aug 25, 2008
Sipher107 said:
I first started with the Yellow Version when i got it for my birthday ( i believe)
I loved my pikachu...

hrm...ima go dig out my ds and my yellow to see if it still works
Hope i caught you in time, but DS doesn't support original gameboy games... Hope you still have an SP lying around.

Aaaaaaaanyway..... When I was playing Crystal, I was returning to Goldenrod for the night after some pokemon catching, when I beheld a shining Hoothoot. This being the first (and only so far) shiny pokemon I had seen, besides gyarados, my pulse quickened. I knew this was a once in a lifetime opportunity, so I was extra careful. I sent out my scyther, and whittled his HP down to one with False Swipe, and switched to my Jolteon and paralyzed it with Thunder Wave, just to be extra sure. I went into my pokeball section of my backpack, and behold! It was empty......

deletemeplease107

Oct 15, 2008
shadow_pirate22 said:
Sipher107 said:
I loved my pikachu...

hrm...ima go dig out my ds and my yellow to see if it still works
Hope i caught you in time, but DS doesn't support original gameboy games... Hope you still have an SP lying around.

Thats what i meant.... haha.
oops :p

FinalGamer

Mar 8, 2009
I saw the first series one day in the morning and went "awwwww that lil red fire lizard is ADORABLE!" in a very metrosexual way at the tender age of 10.

So I got the game and started as Charmander CUZ THAT'S THE WAY WE ROLL!

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
I was about eight when the initial craze hit, my entire school was taken over by talk of level 100 Charizards and how cute Pikachu was, conversations not about Pokemon were all but unheard of.
Now here I am, nearly eighteen and I still love it.

The_Chief

Jun 3, 2008
ok here is a sad story

i was 5, and on my first cruise. three weeks before i was on vacation at the beach, staying in a motel thing. in the week i was there. i spent my days at the pool and my nights playing pokemon. i finally got my gengar and polywrath to lvl 100. it was the proudest day of my life. then,on the cruise i put my game boy on the edge of the boat for two seconds. came back, and saw it wasn't there. i cried...alot. but i was 5 and now i have another blue!!!

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Weeeeeeeeell, the first time I was interested in pokemon...was on the Gameboy Camera. It had stickers you could put in the pictures, and one of them was creatures. They were all pokemon. Later on I got a tape in the mail about a new show called Pokemon which got me excited. Dunno why I got it, also dunno if I got the game or watched the show first. Red was my first though, but I did get blue...and yellow, and silver and gold and crystal and saphire. My brother got ruby. I stopped after that though. They kept adding 100 and removing 50. Honestly, they should stop and just make 1 with ALL of them. I mean 1 game, all pokemon in it catchable. I'd rather they stop at the Saphire/Ruby generation though, since after that the pokemon get rather super lame.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
a friend had blue and said how great it was so, when he'd finished it, i bought it off him. that was about 7 or 8 years ago and i still have it

Hexadecimal16

Mar 11, 2009
shadow_pirate22 said:
Aaaaaaaanyway..... When I was playing Crystal, I was returning to Goldenrod for the night after some pokemon catching, when I beheld a shining Hoothoot. This being the first (and only so far) shiny pokemon I had seen, besides gyarados, my pulse quickened. I knew this was a once in a lifetime opportunity, so I was extra careful. I sent out my scyther, and whittled his HP down to one with False Swipe, and switched to my Jolteon and paralyzed it with Thunder Wave, just to be extra sure. I went into my pokeball section of my backpack, and behold! It was empty......
Story of my life.

wowcrendor

Feb 19, 2009
Kiutu said:
Weeeeeeeeell, the first time I was interested in pokemon...was on the Gameboy Camera.
Thank you for reminding me about Game boy Camera! I forgot all about it! Ahh.... memories.