Your quirks when it comes to music.

Toasty Virus

Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
What are the little quirks that make your taste in music that make people go "Really?".

For me it is that if I can listen to a live recording of a song over a studio version, I will pick the live one every single time. Doesn't matter if they sound worse, I just prefer it.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Not really a "quirk" more of a bizarre habit.

When I had sex with my first "proper" girlfriend in 1993 Fields of Gold by Sting was on the radio.

Whenever I hear that song now I have to strip to it. Started off as a joke and stuck.

Pisses me off when one of the lads puts it on the jukebox of the local. Think most of the folk in that pub have seen my testicles more than my wife has.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I tend to like really discordant and confused tracks where there are a lot of different instruments and beats going on - but I suppose you could just call that liking metal.

I'm quite partial to mathcore & 8bit, I suppose most people find that surprising.

M K Ultra

Nov 27, 2012
Hate vocals, hands down prefer purely instrumental tracks & bands. How ever if the vocals are unintelligible or in another language I can dig it. Recently I've gotten into the NASA recordings where they converted electromagnetic readings from satellites into an audible spectrum. That & listening to numbers stations.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I'm much more for instrumentals than lyrical tracks. I really have to enjoy the lyrics for it to make it onto one of my playlists.

[sub]Keep up the good work MOS[/sub]

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Rawne1980 said:
Not really a "quirk" more of a bizarre habit.

When I had sex with my first "proper" girlfriend in 1993 Fields of Gold by Sting was on the radio.

Whenever I hear that song now I have to strip to it. Started off as a joke and stuck.

Pisses me off when one of the lads puts it on the jukebox of the local. Think most of the folk in that pub have seen my testicles more than my wife has.
What if it starts to play when you're in a place with a large amount of children?

OT: I can't listen to any sort of music with any sort of sound effect. Like, as soon as I hear a sound effect in a piece of music I instantly dislike it. I don't care if it's from a band I love, I just can't.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
A quirk? I guess that my go to genres are pretty far apart.

From this

Or this

To these

Musette

Pacifist Percussionist
Apr 19, 2010
I find myself shying away when people asking me about my tastes in music, particularly if they do not know me well. The majority of my music comes from video game soundtracks or are orchestral arrangements of themes from different soundtracks. That is particularly harder to explain to people from older generations and/or people who do not play video games at all. The majority of my other music are different percussion solo/ensemble pieces, particularly mallet percussion pieces. Part of the reason I'm a percussionist is because of how much I like marimba music especially, but when people don't even know what instruments you're talking about and there isn't really a specific genre to the music, it becomes increasingly difficult to explain.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I generally can't stand live recordings, doesn't matter on the genre, artist, band, composer, orchestra or whatever, if it's a live recording, with applause, cheering and all that, I won't listen to it. That and the fact of 'out of tune', even if it's just a sixteenth of a tone out, I'll cringe...

I'll go to concerts fine, because I'm there and am feeling the vibe[footnote]Though there is a limit, once went to a performance of Handel's Messiah and dear lord two of the second violins were so out of tune it wasn't funny...[/footnote], but on my iPod... screw it...

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Toasty Virus said:
For me it is that if I can listen to a live recording of a song over a studio version, I will pick the live one every single time. Doesn't matter if they sound worse, I just prefer it.
Huh... just noticed I'm the complete opposite of you, mate... -_-

Evil Top Hat

May 21, 2011
My quirks? Well, personally, I feel that this is one of the greatest musical masterpieces of our time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAsPeY8BsQU

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I really don't like techno or any other type of music that's made with a computer but I love when it's a soundtrack to a game or movie.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Not sure if this qualifies as a quirk, but if someone tries to get me to like a band they like, I will not like that band. No matter how much it caters to my taste, I will not listen to them. I hate being pressured into liking something.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
My brother find it werid that I can listen to the same music playlist over and over since he prefer to have his music selection on random so that the song never get stale from listing it too many times.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I guess the only quirky thing I have about the music I listen to is that I have a tendency to change my mind dramatically. Sometimes, I'll listen to an album for the first time and not really get it, not listen to it for weeks, put it on again and love it.

Also, having a wide music taste is not a quirk.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I much prefer anything that is a soundtrack for something I have played. My entire music playlist when I play LoL is pretty much video game and anime music and stuff.

My current favourite is this piece of awesomeness.

"I'll show you... *Punch* Everything... *PUNCH* THAT I'VE LEARNED!"

DISTORTION FINISH!

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
I really, really love musical comedy. I'm listening to Jon Lajoie and the Lonely Island just now. I think Bo Burnham and Stephen Lynch are the greatest comedians ever, don't know why, just love musical comedy.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
That my musical tastes are more varied than a schizophrenic squirrel? I hate JPop and yet like some of their songs. I despise pop music but still listen to Goteye. I love classic rock but hate certain bands.

I listen to what I like, regardless of genre.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Mainly it is the fact that I can easily switch from listening to really extreme heavy metal like Pantera and Bathory, to really soft rock, like Duran Duran or Toto, without missing a beat. That always seems to confuse people. :D

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Redlin5 said:
I'm much more for instrumentals than lyrical tracks. I really have to enjoy the lyrics for it to make it onto one of my playlists.

[sub]Keep up the good work MOS[/sub]
I thought I was the only one who prefers no vocals.

I tend to go towards soundtracks.