Your quirks when it comes to music.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Ahri said:
It's hard to describe, but..

I go through phases of being really excited/obsessed by songs/albums.

Time will pass, and inevitably my focus will shift. If, for whatever reason, something reminds me of one of these songs/albums..

I will obsess over it with the same renewed vigor as when I first discovered it.

(Regardless of how many times I've heard/obsessed about it before.)
That's the exact same as how it is for me.

I'l find an awesome album or artist and obsess over their songs and creations constantly for a long period of time and then go off them after i've listened to them so much and gotten bored. I'l eventually come back and get obsessed with them again.

Apr 8, 2010
Well apart from the fact that I can't stand live albums at all and my music taste tends to rest in the experimental, I've got one particular quirk: long songs. And with long I usually mean 10 minutes and upwards. For instance a 50 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSGkP6WkdYI&list=PL1F8095CDE208FD99] or 24 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH_9lJxeiXg] minute progressive rock piece, some crazy 2 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2dfoKxSMg8]0 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMdwNYBtOXE] minute soundscape of haunting bells and electronic distortions or 43 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xdj1MTQetk] minutes of melodic Death Metal. Somehow those songs always catch me more than the shorter ones and I tend to stick to them much much longer than any other. Especially if they are epic as fuck at the same time.

Rickolas Walrus

Mar 2, 2012
AgentLampshade said:
Not sure if this qualifies as a quirk, but if someone tries to get me to like a band they like, I will not like that band. No matter how much it caters to my taste, I will not listen to them. I hate being pressured into liking something.
Same here. Though there are exceptions, I rarely like a band/artist that someone tells me to listen to. Nor am I likely to enjoy a band that a bunch of other people like and constantly mention/talk about

Basically, unless I've discovered it on my own, I probably won't like it. Which is why most of the music I listen to is foreign or really unknown...which kind of makes me a hipster in a way...mother of god WHAT HAVE I BECOME

Brainwreck

Dec 2, 2012
I...
Fuck.
This is hard.

I used to like Linkin Park. And Disturbed.

[small][small][small]the shame[/small][/small][/small]

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
I can never really hear bass lines in songs. (possibly why I don't like reggae)
I prefer female vocalists.
I hate an uplifting key change at the end of a song (mostly done in lazily written pop songs - and American Idol).
I think all session musicians suck no matter how technically proficient they are.
Hate live albums. (Don't mind live videos though). The live albums with crowds yelling really annoy me.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I have a wide variety of music (with a few exceptions, of course) so I always find it entertaining to see people's looks when I have my library of music on shuffle. :D

Anyways, if a band has put out a new album and I own physical copies of their previous stuff I will get the physical copy. However, if it's classical music (using the generic term here) and I see an album I want I have no problem with buying the digital version.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
I'm Into Psychedelic Rock. This Includes:

Frank Zappa

&

Captain Beefheart.
Beeheart is just ridiculously awesome, but difficult listening.

I listen to a variety of stuff, but I don't think there's anything quirky about my selections. I know people are surprised that I don't look like a guy who'd be listening to Burzum, Sleep, or John Zorn though.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
I have a very eclectic taste in music. I can find maybe one or two songs I like even in genres I hate with a passion.

Also, if the lead singer has a "weird" voice, I will usually fall in love with the band. Especially when their speaking voice doesn't match at all. It might also be because I can tell what band it is simply by hearing a single lyric.

Claudio Sanchez from Coheed and Cambria
Geddy Lee from Rush
Brian Aubert from Silversun Pickups

This might be because while I have a relatively deep voice, I sing high. Funny thing is: I don't have a falsetto voice. If I go to high my voice simply cuts out.

doggy go 7

Jul 28, 2010
Lt._nefarious said:
I really, really love musical comedy. I'm listening to Jon Lajoie and the Lonely Island just now. I think Bo Burnham and Stephen Lynch are the greatest comedians ever, don't know why, just love musical comedy.
Have you heard of a man named Tim Minchin, because he's one of my favourite people ever, makes really great music and is bloody hillarious (google "confessions" then "prejudice" then "thank you God" then "storm" then buy everything he's ever made).

OT: no quirks as such, but I really dislike haveing music on as background noise, if I'm listening to music, I want to listen to it, properly. I absolutely cannot hold a conversation with an earphone in on ear and a person talking to me in the other, which plent of people seem to be able to do.

Coppernerves

Oct 17, 2011
doggy go 7 said:
Lt._nefarious said:
I really, really love musical comedy. I'm listening to Jon Lajoie and the Lonely Island just now. I think Bo Burnham and Stephen Lynch are the greatest comedians ever, don't know why, just love musical comedy.
Have you heard of a man named Tim Minchin, because he's one of my favourite people ever, makes really great music and is bloody hillarious (google "confessions" then "prejudice" then "thank you God" then "storm" then buy everything he's ever made).

OT: no quirks as such, but I really dislike haveing music on as background noise, if I'm listening to music, I want to listen to it, properly. I absolutely cannot hold a conversation with an earphone in on ear and a person talking to me in the other, which plent of people seem to be able to do.
Musical comedy...

What about Tom Lehrer?

Wrote the elements song, and much funnier ones like "The Masochism Tango" and "The Vatican Rag".

GB-1025

Jul 30, 2012
Not sure if this counts as a quirk, or if it just means my taste in music is about as bizarre as anyone else's.

The majority of my music consists of various classic rock and heavy metal bands from before I was born. Rush, Metallica, The Beatles and Nirvana rate pretty high with me, and then of course there's Boston, CCR, The Eagles, Eric Clapton, Guns N' Roses, Iron Maiden, Jimi Hendrix, Judas Priest, Led Zeppelin, Scorpions, and Stevie Ray Vaughan to name a few.

I also listen to a lot of music inspired by MLP, made by folks like The Living Tombstone, MandoPony, AcousticBrony, Woodentoaster etc. I also freaking love Vocaloid.

EDIT: I thought of something else! I generally prefer all of the songs on my ipod to be around the same volume, as I'd rather not fiddle with the volume buttons constantly. I don't care what song it is, if I have to turn the volume all the way up just to hear the song it's not staying on my ipod.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
My music collection consists of everything from Cannibal Corpse to NSYNC to The Beatles to Fall Out Boy to Eminem.

I guess that's pretty quirky.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
I prefer soundtracks over generic radio music.

And for good reason

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I like movie soundtracks. It gives the music something I can connect it to, a kind of purpose besides just being music for the sake of being music. And not the cheesy 80s-90s action movie tracks. Tracks like Trent Reznor's Immigrant Song cover.