Your scary ideas

GreyWolf257

Oct 1, 2009
ReincarnatedFTP said:
I'd make a game called Fugitive.

Basically, your start out in dystopian future America. A dictator has taken power over the UN and thus, the world (suspend reality plz). Anyways, in the wave of resistance, martial law has been declared. Infantry troops, often unaccompanied by vehicles, just patrol the streets of your LA-esque city. There are special political para-military black op groups that hunt down and kill dissenters.

Anyways, you start out the scene in a doctor's office. As you lie down to get a "flu shot", people in masks break in and shoot you doctor, and take you away. You wake up in a random cookie-cutter house in the middle of a suburb on the outskirts of the LA-esque city. You figure out that the guys who rescued you are old friends of your brother's before he was shot to death in a riot.

Anyways, on to the scary mechanism. The game is called "fugitive" because you can't stay in one area of a certain distance for 10 minutes without paratroopers or assassins hidden somewhere around you start attempting to kill you. Noone warns you of this, not even before the first time. It just happens. Assuming you stay busy, the one time you do sit still it'll scare the hell out of you.

It's also a cyberpunk future, so if you're logged into a computer doing virtual stuff for more than ten minutes, it still counts. So let's say you go in there to talk to a character (the dialogue is FO3 tree style) and it lasts 9 minutes and 20 seconds (you had to find the virtual reality club to talk to him and virtual downtown is big). Then it takes you 40 seconds to walk down the stairs. You'll hear guards burst through the second floor, gunning for your ass.
Damn. Make that game right now. I want to play it so bad! Seriously, you have something going, there.

EDIT: Oh, OP: Put PeeWee Herman in the game. It doesn't matter what he does, just do it: it will be guaranteed to creep the hell out of everyone.

camiilou

Feb 9, 2010
GreyWolf257 said:
Damn. Make that game right now. I want to play it so bad! Seriously, you have something going, there.
Seems a bit gimmicky to me, and the whole dystopian future cyberpunk land is a bit overplayed and surprisingly bland.

GreyWolf257

Oct 1, 2009
camiilou said:
GreyWolf257 said:
Seems a bit gimmicky to me, and the whole dystopian future cyberpunk land is a bit overplayed and surprisingly bland.
I think it sounds good. At least it isn't another "shoot the terrorist/nazi/zombie" game. It sounds a little bit like a movie I saw a while ago, though, yet I can't seem to recall the name.

camiilou

Feb 9, 2010
GreyWolf257 said:
I think it sounds good. At least it isn't another "shoot the terrorist/nazi/zombie" game. It sounds a little bit like a movie I saw a while ago, though, yet I can't seem to recall the name.
Yes that is a bonus. I guess I would simply need more description, more originality. Maybe I'm being picky, I mean, this is just a simple forum post not a game proposal.

e2density

Dec 25, 2009
My scary scene:
1. You are put in a pitch black room. You only get a dimmed flashlight thats flickering and almost out of battery. No matter how high you set your sensitivity, it is extremely low in game, so it takes a long time to turn around. You then start hearing white noise, (where every audible frequency of sound is played at once), and it seems kind of static-y. You then hear the sound of a human scream, as if it was muffled through a wall. A couple seconds after you hear that scream, your flashlight flickers off, as the battery runs out.

You then see, in the depths of the darkness, two slight glows. They start shuffling and moving all over the place, but do to the low sensitivity, you cannot turn and keep following the two dots.

Everything goes silent for a couple seconds...then you get pounced by a scary monster looking thing (Sorry, not that great at describing monsters). It happens very fast, you don't get any warning, and it's one of those "Popping out of nowhere moments".

GreyWolf257

Oct 1, 2009
camiilou said:
GreyWolf257 said:
Yes that is a bonus. I guess I would simply need more description, more originality. Maybe I'm being picky, I mean, this is just a simple forum post not a game proposal.
Well, of course. Needs polishing. Needs more depth. Needs a story. Needs an actual future, not just a post in a forum.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
In real time you must traverse the entire United States from East to West which has been infested somehow with eternal night, and armies of demonic creatures no one in the game really knows they're origins they could be aliens, or from Hell or another dimension or what ever the point is they've taken over the whole U.S. You start the game in Virginia with a crew of survivors and an RV and you have to somehow make it to California where supposedly the U.S's allies and the UN are helping evacuate survivors. (Our millitary has been completly destroyed) however these survivors can die, and you meet more people along the way. Not to mention the demons may not be the only enemies you may meet people who have gone insane or even accidently adopt a survivor who is really a demon in disguise into your team.

I'll bet you if this game was real it would drown in its own ambition though, its still an idea though.

Death on Trapezoids

Nov 19, 2009
The vault in FO3 where there are still drugs in the air that make you see things... and then a guy with a rocket launcher shows up.
Or you just make a long hallway filled with ammo and medkits, to create forboding, then open into this room that looks like someone hooked a city's sewer system through a hole in the roof for a few weeks, then strained out all the liquids. In this room there will be a hole, completely pitch dark, and as ominous music plays, a rabbit with a knife taped to it emerges. If you spare the rabbit, you go freely through the hole. But if you kill the rabbit, somthing a la Aliens bends off the ceiling and tries to rape your face. You then have to go through an insanely difficult series of QTEs (permissable in this situation, I think) or have to reload from a half hour's progress back becuase the one thing the hallway was lacking was a save point.

Amberella

Super Sailor Moon
Jan 23, 2010
Azure-Supernova said:
Well I suppose this is subjective to what you find scary. So for me it'd probably be something, similar to something I experienced in Fallout 3. I was in the Dunwich Building and it was my first encounter with Ferals. Literally no ammo. The whole atmosphere of the place was pretty freaky.
Yep, I am happy I bought Fallout 3 for you. :3 Lol.

And I don't get scared much. Although I guess in some parts in games can be quite startling. I'm usually the one doing the scaring instead of getting scared. Lol.

mezmerizer02

Jun 6, 2009
RatRace123 said:
The walk into a room, the screen goes grey, you only hear the sound of your main character's labored breathing after a hard fought fight.
You see feint hallucinations of mutated people rushing at you as you make your way to the door: Your dead spouse, clowns, nurses, knife weilders.

You make your way to the door at the end of the room, you find only a wall. Music suddenly starts playing, a light violin playing eerily, you make your way back to the door you came in. The screen suddenly returns to normal, the music reaches a crescendo and suddenly someone bursts through the door, he's got a knife and he guts you. You slump over dead, as the camera pans up to see his face, you realize he's you, and you just defended yourself from an attack by a madman who drugged you, causing you to see all those things you just saw.

You trudge forward, the door at the end of the room is clearly visible, you take one last glance at the dead body, it then leaps up and strangles you to death. Game Over, all your data was erased.
Get out of my dreams.. or at least stop posting them on here.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
This reminds me of the third Scarecrow sequence in Arkham Asylum. You're walking along and suddenly the screen becomes glitchy and the game starts making weird sounds, almost making you think something is terribly wrong. I say 'almost' because you can tell immediately beforehand that you're about to meet Scarecrow again. It's still a great idea though. Don't make it a scary moment for the character, make it scary for the player. Make them think their save is corrupt, or that something is happening to the game itself.

Daffy F

Apr 17, 2009
RatRace123 said:
The walk into a room, the screen goes grey, you only hear the sound of your main character's labored breathing after a hard fought fight.
You see feint hallucinations of mutated people rushing at you as you make your way to the door: Your dead spouse, clowns, nurses, knife weilders.

You make your way to the door at the end of the room, you find only a wall. Music suddenly starts playing, a light violin playing eerily, you make your way back to the door you came in. The screen suddenly returns to normal, the music reaches a crescendo and suddenly someone bursts through the door, he's got a knife and he guts you. You slump over dead, as the camera pans up to see his face, you realize he's you, and you just defended yourself from an attack by a madman who drugged you, causing you to see all those things you just saw.

You trudge forward, the door at the end of the room is clearly visible, you take one last glance at the dead body, it then leaps up and strangles you to death. Game Over, all your data was erased.
Not so sure about the ending, but BLIMEY! I like the rest of this idea!

Ganthrinor

Apr 15, 2009
I don't do fear very well. I mean, not a lot scares me so what I'd probably wind up doing is writing some kind of bizzare plot that never really goes anywhere and ends with a "oh I saw that coming a mile away" anti-climax.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
I don't know if this was said, but I lack the patience to read the preceeding, so here goes.
I would probobly have the player take a poorly lit flight of stairs down to the underground apartments where guys that need to be killed await. A sign on the door at the bottom floor would read "Beware of dogz", with the penmanship of a retarded graffiti artist (but still legible) and a grisly emblem. During fights, particularly at the exact moments of gunshots and loud, violent noises that accompany the action, I'd go back and forth between maniacal laughter and agonized screams just barely audible over the killing, getting louder each time. For every few dead guys, the player's vision would have a subtle distortion like the world being faintly tinted blue or things being a few inches to the left of where they really are. When the final foe fell, the dead guys' back up (late, clearly) would be heard coming down the stairs. Whether they waited for the goons to come to them or fight through the area a second time, the place would be full of hallucenations like surreal graffiti on random surfaces, misshapen doors, new macabre wallpaper, and corpses of round 1 turning their heads to look at the player. When the last of the backup is slain, a cutscene or something would lead the player to a long hallway, still looking as it did initially, with a ghastly, robed corpse nailed to the roof on the opposite end. All the doorways would darken, showing only snarling, nightmarish dogs that stay behind their respective lines, leaving only you and the nail-addled corpse that just fell to the floor. It would stand up, provide a match of ghostly pong for a boss fight, (each hit of the flaming ball producing a sound like gunfire, car wrecks, or snapping bones) then die. Afterward, a cutscene would show the dogs creeping into the hall slowly, the protagonist quickly firing a few shots, the dogs approaching unfazed, and speeding up. The player would then have to run through the area back to the door with the sign, slamming it shut to end the encounter. The protagonist would look at the door again and notice that the emblem has burned away.

EDIT: Come to think of it, if I did a big, open-world game I'd probobly try to duplicate the genius of Fallout 3 by introducing a big, toughest-thing-you've-ever-seen monster early on that doesn't actually show up much until much later on. Those of you who stumbled across the wounded deathclaw at level 2 or so with little more than a flimsy pistol may know what I mean. I actually stopped and waited until morning every time the sun went down until around lvl 19.

the idiot computer

Jan 21, 2010
my idea: how about

all the lights break you pull out your torch it flickers between darkness and light then you look past a corner nothing there your torch breaks so you get a glowstick and there are a lot of pyschopaths and they all look the same you run as fast as you can but you trip and pass out to wake up with your torch on the ground and the physcopath sharpening 2 scalpels and mozart plays in the background you struggle only for him to rip you to pieces just as the torch breaks again so you only hear blood squelching and your protagnists screams and your protagnist shakes until that point...only to wake up in an asylum with a doctor brandishing a syring approaching you...

well how about it?