Your thoughts on... Nerd/Geek culture of today.

Einspanner

Mar 6, 2016
erttheking said:
Terminal Marque said:
erttheking said:
Terminal Marque said:
erttheking said:
Vergeltung said:
I tried to keep it simple and say that the unofficial term was used and couldn't be pinned down. You didn't respond to it. Don't blame me for feeling that a more in depth explanation was needed

Hm...No. Geek culture has a lot of problems with it. But nerd being an object of ridicule? Nope. It hasn't been that way for a long time. The dictionary says otherwise? People don't care what the dictionary says, they assign their own meanings to words. It's why literally is basically it's own antonym now. You can say that nerd only exists to scorn, common use of the word begs to differ, no amount of pulling up definitions will change that.
Nerds aren't an object of ridicule? Rich, successful nerds, sure, but you can just append any noun after "Rich, successful" and get the same result.

Ree: Caitlyn Jenner.
Nowhere where they used to be. And to be perfectly frank I find that nerds do more horrible things to other nerds than people outside the group ever do.
In two posts you've gone from "But nerd being an object of ridicule? Nope. It hasn't been that way for a long time."

to

"Nowhere where they used to be" and some version of "They're doing it to themselves".

Which do you actually believe to be the case? Then we can get on with why you're wrong.

I made that post nearly a week ago. I didn't exactly remember it. Allow me to clarify. Yes sometimes people still poke fun at nerds. This rarely happens anymore, to the point where I don't really consider it to be a trend to worry about. It's barely a thing. Nerds lashing out at other nerds? Well...let's just say that there's a reason my resentment to the online gaming community grows every day.

-snipped question not aimed at me-
You said it, "Online gaming community".

Not "Nerds". There isn't really much of an overlap either.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Gengisgame said:
Realize that a lot of the hate you may have towards nerd culture is manufactured.
What gave you the impression I hate nerd culture, out of curiosity?

Terminal Marque

May 2, 2016
erttheking said:
Terminal Marque said:
erttheking said:
Terminal Marque said:
erttheking said:
Vergeltung said:
I tried to keep it simple and say that the unofficial term was used and couldn't be pinned down. You didn't respond to it. Don't blame me for feeling that a more in depth explanation was needed

Hm...No. Geek culture has a lot of problems with it. But nerd being an object of ridicule? Nope. It hasn't been that way for a long time. The dictionary says otherwise? People don't care what the dictionary says, they assign their own meanings to words. It's why literally is basically it's own antonym now. You can say that nerd only exists to scorn, common use of the word begs to differ, no amount of pulling up definitions will change that.
Nerds aren't an object of ridicule? Rich, successful nerds, sure, but you can just append any noun after "Rich, successful" and get the same result.

Nowhere where they used to be. And to be perfectly frank I find that nerds do more horrible things to other nerds than people outside the group ever do.
In two posts you've gone from "But nerd being an object of ridicule? Nope. It hasn't been that way for a long time."

to

"Nowhere where they used to be" and some version of "They're doing it to themselves".

Which do you actually believe to be the case? Then we can get on with why you're wrong.

I made that post nearly a week ago. I didn't exactly remember it. Allow me to clarify. Yes sometimes people still poke fun at nerds. This rarely happens anymore, to the point where I don't really consider it to be a trend to worry about. It's barely a thing. Nerds lashing out at other nerds? Well...let's just say that there's a reason my resentment to the online gaming community grows every day.

Please. Tell me how I'm "wrong" as you so eloquently put it.
The vast majority of "online gamers" aren't nerds either, and if you can't keep track of your own arguments, it's a sign that you should take a break from making them.

They were going nowhere anyway.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Terminal Marque said:
erttheking said:
Terminal Marque said:
erttheking said:
Terminal Marque said:
erttheking said:
Vergeltung said:

to

The vast majority of "online gamers" aren't nerds either, and if you can't keep track of your own arguments, it's a sign that you should take a break from making them.

Oh great, we're doing the thing where we're limiting who can be a nerd. Let's be frank, the nerds who are online that I've made have tended to be stuck up assholes most of the time and way too much of the interaction nerds too online include elitism, hostility, tribalism and generally being an asshat. Majority of online gamers aren't nerds? Debatable. Highly debatable. Even then, too many of the nerds that are on are people that are insufferable.

Keep track of my own argument-I'm sorry...no I'm not sorry, I was under the impression that this thread was dead. I moved on from it. Then you necroed a thread that nobody had talked in for nearly a week. Of course I didn't remember it off of the top of my head.

Terminal Marque

May 2, 2016
erttheking said:
Terminal Marque said:
erttheking said:
Terminal Marque said:
erttheking said:
Terminal Marque said:
erttheking said:
Vergeltung said:

to

Oh great, we're doing the thing where we're limiting who can be a nerd. Let's be frank-
Yes, lets. Of course we're doing "the thing", it's called language. Otherwise every word would mean what every other word does, and "Nerd" would be no more meaningful than "Fpqfyed".

Now if you have nothing else except a circle you're walking between "You can't define 'Nerd'!", "Nerds aren't persecuted", and my favorite, "Nerds are the ones persecuting nerds!"... we're done.