2. Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
1. Halo 3

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Becomes (slightly) more difficult to define "this generation" for primarily-PC gamers such as myself. For instance, a few others have counted both Oblivion and Bioshock, neither of which I would consider "this generation".

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Since I'm kind of a chemistry nerd, I'll give symbolic trophies to the games I think are the best in this generation:

The iron Nanosuit of 10th place: Crysis 2 (choose your own style kind of gameplay, good pacing, engaging story, albeit convoluted).

The titanium Mortar of 9nth place: Spec Ops: The Line (Great story and commentary on the industry, realistic characters).

The tungsten N7 helmet of 8th place: Mass Effect 2 (overall great feel, sympathetic and interesting characters, the ability to romance Tali).

The cobalt Bong of 7th place: Saints Row 2 (a twist on the sandbox genre, wacky yet somehow grounded, extremely fun to play).

The nickel Pickaxe of 6th place: Minecraft (soothing exploration, an excelent balance of effort and result).

The palladium Hammer of 5th place: Bastion (a tight story, few but relatable characters, a superb visual design and style, great music, challenging gameplay).

The copper Portal Gun of 4th place: Portal series (both carry great puzzles, a simple yet atractive story, excellent feel in both).

The silver Sectoid of 3nd place: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (refreshing tactical gameplay, it pissed me off in a good way, every shot missed meant even more celebration when finishing a hard mission).

The golden Chinese Dagger of 2nd place: Far Cry 3 (superb sandbox, a clear yet troubling story, showed us that shooters can be much more than military)

The platinum Skyhook of 1st place: Bioshock Infinite (excellent feel, a simple yet varied gameplay, excelllent visual design, a great story and characters, simply beautiful).

Honorable mentions:

Libmo, good start, showed that you can tell a stories without words.
Guitar Hero, for essentially being the go to game when being drunk.
Metroid Prime 3, couldn't finish it since I don't own a Wii, but every time I got a chance to play it I would be hours just sitting there and playing.
Minerva: Metastasis, best mod of Half-life 2 I've ever played, mysterious atmosphere and story.
Tribes: Ascention, for being FAST.
Saints Row: The Third, because this kind of wackyness cannot go unnoticed.
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, for its likeable characters, having a realistic feel and good pacing. The modern military shooter started for a reason you know.
Battlefield 3 Multiplayer component, for being chaotic and actually being cinematic.

Dishonourable mentions:

Metroid: Other M, for having an absolutely horrendous story and unnecesarry narration.
Halo, for being the epitome of boring.
Modern Warfare 3, for being by far one of the worst games ever made.
Black Ops 2, for having the poorest taste I've ever seen in a game game I've ever played (yes, even more than Saints Row).
Battlefield 3 Singleplayer component, for not teaching you a thing about the multiplayer, eschewing a proper airplane and helicopter driving section in favour of an absolutely mediocre story lifted from 24 or something.

ThatCatHead

Apr 17, 2013
Hmmm.. Toughy!

1. Demons Souls. Obsession doesnt cover it. I loved/lived that game.
2. Fallout 3. Bethesda's finest moment, IMO
3. Team Fortress 2. Going on hours played, this has to be in there.
4. Deus Ex : Human Revolution. Yes, really. Really got into the story, and the sound/music was superb. Play sneaky on Hard and get the most out of it.
5. TES : Oblivion. Another time-ruiner.
6. Bioshock. Does for me what Infinite doesnt, its claustrophobic and horrific in equal measure.
7. Dark Souls. Not as good as DeS but fine nonetheless.
8. Dead Space. Could be seen as a bit of a tarty mainstream choice but i enjoyed it a lot, the settting, everything.
9. Test Drive Unlimited. I dont like driving games but i got well into this. Looks fab on a half decent PC.
10. Company Of Heroes. I know its similar to, well, all the other RTS's out there (hello Dawn Of War!) this one stands out for unit variety and a cracking physics engine.

EDIT : just seen that lots of other people have got DX HR in their list, dont feel that i needed to justify it now!

thibaut95

Feb 8, 2011
although i know nobody is going to read this, here is my list (btw i list series, because i do what i want)

1. Assassin's Creed series
2. Red dead Redemption
3. Mass effect series
4. Batman arkham series
5. portal
6. bioshock
7. Enslaved: odessey to the west
8. skyrim
9. Pokémon soulsilver
10.halo 3+ halo 3: odst

most dissapointing: GTA IV, i really hated nico

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Difficult to list. Probably think of something else to add in later.

1) Skyrim. (would've said Oblivion, but going back and playing Oblivion now I think Skyrim is better, more dungeons, less Oblivion gates.)
2) COD 4, Black Ops 1.
3) Bioshock Infinite. (Yes it's early but it really is that good)
4) Resistance Series. (My introduction to this generation, and what an introduction)
5) Uncharted 2 & 3. (I'd be lying if I put the whole series on here, 1 wasn't that good. 2 & 3 were excellent.)
6) Borderlands 1 & 2.
7) Gears of War 1, 2 & 3. (played through as p2 all the way..so yes Dom's story & death was sad, it was my character)
8) Team Fortress 2.
9) Portal 2.

10) Difficult one Halo Reach probably deserves to go here but so does Minecraft, and gotta fit in Total War and looking up the list Rayman Origins and Little Big Planet have a shout too. Oh and almost forgot Playstation All-Stars.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Batman Arkham City
Fallout 3
Skyrim
Saints Row the Third
Uncharted 2
Burnout Paradise
Assassin's Creed
Bioshock Infinite
Prey
Halo 3

Been a heck of a ride! I wonder how the best of this generation, all things considered, compare to Gen 6?

hahagirl727

Jan 1, 2013
1. Dragon Age Series
2. The Mass Effect Series
3. Portal 2
4. Skyrim
5. Bioshock
6. Batman Arkham City
7. Metal Gear Solid 4
8. Civilization V
9. Call of Duty Black Ops
10. Fable 2

iNsAnEHAV0C

Sep 20, 2009
1) Mass Effect Trilogy (The story is unlike any other and all 3 hold a special place in my heart)

2) Fallout 3 (I don't even want to know how many hours I put into this)

3) Gears of War 1 (I really enjoy the others, but this one is by far my favorite)

4) Elder Scrolls IV & V (Oblivion introduced me into the world, Skyrim made me fall in love with it, both had 100+ hours)

5) Assassin's Creed 2 (far and away the best one of the series, loved every second of it, brotherhood was good too)

6) COD Modern Warfare 1&2 (single player of one, and countless hours were spent in the spec ops)

7) Arkham Asylum (While city might have been better overall, this was the first time I played a game and said "this is how you make a Batman game)

8) Ncaa Football 09 (me and a friend have put about as many hours into this game as 1-4 combined. Year 40 of Tulsa dynasty)

9)Pokemon Black (What a fantastic game, not having played one since Gen 2 I was blown away by how evolved the series has become)

10)Bioshock (I only got to play through it once because I let my jackass friend borrow it and he sold it, but every now and then I think about the game and am just amazed how beautiful it was and that damn twist)

Fiairflair

Polymath
Oct 16, 2012
10) Bastion
Bastion has excellent storytelling and my favourite game soundtrack of all time. Even the ridiculous number of weapons was a plus, creating more play-styles to choose from.

9) Mass Effect 2
The game that introduced Miranda Lawson: brilliant, stunning and Australian. ... Miranda, that is. The game is pretty good too.

8) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Skyrim earns its place here simply for how immersive the world is. Peaks and valleys; Skyrim is pretty and you can lose yourself in it.

7) Red Dead Redemption
An incredibly violent game about cowboys and Mexicans that somehow delivered so much more than the box art lets on. Southern America is a world away from my quiet office-based life down under so, like Skyrim, RDR was an escape to another world that I thoroughly enjoyed.

6) Fable III
There is nothing like comic dialog coupled with 2-dimential moral dilemmas. Fable is a piss-in-the-wind pleasure of gaming: shallow but fun.

5) Civilization V
Civilization is a plethora of historical and strategic goodies. There is something uniquely satisfying about seeing anything you build up from scratch dominating all the other similar but inferior things.

4) Team Fortress 2
The simple fact that I have played over 1000 hours of TF2 and I am not bored of it mandates that it be placed this high on the list. F2P FTW.
<spoiler=Third Place> 3) Assassin's Creed II
Everything about ACII is magical but the story and the cities you play in are the main reasons why I love this game.

<spoiler=Second Place> 2) Portal
This game was a triumph and GLaDOS is the reason why.

<spoiler=First Place> 1) Bioshock Infinite
Not only the best game of this generation, Bioshock Infinite has overtaken LOZ: OOT as my favourite game of all time. The gameplay is too tight, the story too delicious, the artwork and setting and themes and characters and multi-dimensional escapades too good for this game to be anywhere other than first.

Honourable mentions
Portal 2
Bioshock
Thomas Was Alone
The Walking Dead

Possible gems that I haven't played yet
Borderlands
Journey
Dishonoured
Spec Ops: The Line
X-Com: Enemy Unknown
Limbo
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Half Life

Dishonourable mentions (that I have played)
The Witcher
Halo 4
Final Fantasy XIII
Gears of War

Joey Bolzenius

Sep 9, 2011
10.COD Modern Warfare/Borderlands 1 (RPG in the shooter, gaming's chocolate and peanut butter mix)
9.Saints Row the Third/Prototype/Just Cause 2(open world bliss)
8. Amnesia the Dark Descent
7.Oblivion(yes, Skyrim is amazing but the jump Oblivion took from Morrowind was enormous)
6.Dead Space 2/Bioshock Infinite(well defined worlds)
5.Mass Effect 1, 2, 95% of 3
4.Gears of War 2(cover shooting at its finest, yes Gears 3 is an improvement but more in new weapons and variations on horde mode)
3.Batman
2.Super Mario Galaxy 1/2
1.Fallout 3

I wish I could put the Last of Us on here, I do. The issue is that as amazing as it is, it did not scratch any particular itch of mine, gameplay, story, presentation. I fully admit it is one of the best games of this gen and all time but somehow I cannot put it above anything on this list. It is a 10 out of 10 game and I advise anyone with the time and money to buy a PS3 just for that game alone, oh and Ni No Kuni too which is a total 9.5 game worth owning. What happened with those two is that I just did not get a huge emotional tug from the entire package which is odd I know. I do not think one console or platform is inherently better than the other, I just have certain ways I respond to game mechanics, story, presentation, and even my own nostalgia.

This gen was incredible, so many memories and in-game events that took me by surprise. The Batman Arkham games are so solid in my opinion they will hold up for at least a few decades. I love how goddamn ambitious the Mass Effect series was and despite the last minute major fuck up of 3, I am so glad Bioware put their heart and soul into that series. Let me finish by saying I am aware of the massive issues the game industry faces, the costs of development, nasty communities, the sheer fucking risk of making huge, sprawling and smaller virtual worlds and attempting to tell stories in them with visuals, voice acting, and gameplay. However I am so passionate about this medium because it has so enriched my life that I cannot wait to play the next indie masterpiece, the next bloated triple A game that amazes me!

InfernalGrape

Jun 3, 2012
10) Shadows of the Damned

Sadly, this game was overshadowed by other Suda51 titles, like Lollipop Chainsaw, also EA didn't make proper PR work. While honestly Damned didn't have anything groundbreaking, it was very charming. Good old RE4 mechanics provided by Mikami makes it more playable than Lollipop. From position of design and art direction, it's also much better than No More Heroes and Lollipop. The Demon World is interesting setting, grotesque and pity it's not more detailed. There are some really nice locations. The overall concept of light vs. darkness is nothing new, but played nice. Design of enemies and characters is memorisable and cool, especially bosses. The game is full of funny things, not only sexualized jokes, but details like door lock, eating strawberries. Music by Akira Yamaoka is melancholic, and it gives pretty interesting feel.
Again, SotD was not "great", but it's can find place in your heart. And it makes more sense than Lollipop or Killer is Dead (no no no, i love killer7 and flower sun and rain, dont worry)

9) Bully: Scholarship Edition

This game contains so much fun. Yes, it's "gta: school days". And it has awesome soundtrack in surf rock style, composed specially for this game.

8) Bulletstorm

Maybe the best fps of this gen. Brutal and dynamic.

7) Alice: Madness Returns

Very beautyful and interesting setting, period. And yes i love old platformers.

6) Binary Domain

Best tps here. Cyperpunkish world with its society problems, epic boss battles, and plot touches heart. Ah, and cyborgs, cyborgs :)

5) Batman: Arkham Asylum & Arkham City

Amazingly correct depiction of Gotham, the best Batman games since 2D times..

4) Zeno Clash 1-2

Very beautiful epos from Chile developers with unique world and habitants and some interesting questions. Sequel is good if you liked ZC1.

3)BioShock

Rapture, Andrew Ryan & Atlas, all that jazz and art deco =)

2) Witcher 1-2

While W2 has pretty serious political plot, Witcher 1 still amazes me with it's contasts of beautyful, breathing world and sins of people who lives in it. And great bestiary in W1 also.

1) Dark Souls & Demons' Souls

Honestly, i don't care for challenge. I played many games on easy even. What i love in Dark Souls, it's the world. Great architecture that makes you feel like a bug. Awesome level design (mostly) with feel of vertical (which is so rare in current gen) and many connections of different locations, that makes you consider all of that as one world instead of different areas. It's creepy as idk monster and bosses. And what about Demon's Souls? It's a bit more unique. I can't forget it's 3rd world...

Honourable mentions:

Alan Wake - while it ended up not as good as expected, it has good moments and beautyful outdoors.
Clive Barker's Jericho - not great game, but monster design and some levels are catching.
Bioshock Infinite - cool game world, unexpected plot and some really heartful moments (dancing Elizabeth..)
The Darkness - stylish noire fps with Mike Patton's voice acting. Sequel is also nice.
Deadly Premonition - unique game. For all Twin Peaks fans. Maybe the best plot of current gen.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - wish it had more "city" locations..
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - excellent exploration/grinding rpg with breathing world
El Shaddai: Ascension of Metatron - well, made by authors of Okami. Most unique and artful visuals of gen.
Fallout 3 & New Vegas
Fragile Dreams - hidden gem on Wii
The Last of Us - full of stamps, but it's a masterpiece of putting them together.
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - it's fun. Ignore the hate of metal gear fans.
Mirror's Edge - another stunning design here. Find some screens on gaf forums
Nier
Resonance of Fate - underrated jrpg gem of this gen.
Silent Hill Shattered Memories - very interesting "creative remake" of cult game.
Siren: Blood Curse - while it's far from great (Siren 2 still the best), it's interesting horror.
Sleeping Dogs - liked it more than GTA4, sorry. Also, when it rains, it's really beautyful. Too bad it has good ending.
Vanquish - fun mecha tps

And, handhelds:

Ghost Trick - puzzle/adventure with interesting concept and excellent plot.
The World Ends With You - imho it's "much better Persona" than Persona 3&4.
Flower, Sun, and Rain - has frustrating gameplay and graphics, BUT it's a masterpiece. why? Plot and atmosphere. While killer7 also was great, i prefer this one from old Suda51 library. Well, it also was on ps2 with better visuals but j-only.
Shantae: Risky's Revenge - awesome platformer/action

Gravity Rush - charming gem of vita
Shin Megami Tensei IV - well, its megaten =)

So, anything still says that current gen was a fail?)))

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
10: Silent Hill Shattered Memories and Downpour

Shattered Memories and Downpour both delivered a brilliant experience with everything Silent Hill was praised for, excluding the 'scary' part. Good narrative, well written characters, haunting atmosphere and in Downpour's case a better usage of the monsters than 2-4.

9: Halo 3: ODST

After the legend making disappointment that was Halo 3's singleplayer experience, ODST showed us just how Bungie makes a nice little game in a short amount of time. Lonely atmosphere, brilliant lighting, liberal use of appropriate flashbacks and a nice little mini-film called Sadie's Story giving us an appropriate background to the events before the start. It's still not as good as Halo 2, but it's definitely earned it's place in my eyes.

8: Left4Dead Series

Left4Dead is basically a Zombies game with little to no plot, with brilliantly written and modelled characters and a variety of special Zombies to kill the yummy humans in interesting ways. Great multiplayer experience, and it's not too bad on Solo either.

7: Call of Duty: World at War

WaW is one of my favourite World War II shooters, both in it's singleplayer and it's multiplayer. It's still the benchmark of the series for me. It has cliché characters but I like how it shows us the horrors of war that all (except America shockingly enough, right?) and shows the bond between characterised characters and silent protagonists. Also seeing the Japanese in a World War II shooter is my cup of drink.

6: Halo Wars

Halo Wars is not the best RTS in the world, it's controls are a bit faulty. But I can't hate the game when I can experiment with it, and it has a nice little campaign that stays true to the original series without causing too many canon issues. Sure the characters are bit off and the vehicles can't be trusted to drive anywhere, but Halo Wars gains my respect. It's probably also because it was released a week early in the UK than the US, so finishing before they got it felt satisfying.

5: BioShock

We all know the drill, it's System Shock under the sea. I like it's imagination, entertaining gameplay, villains, characters, even the morale choice system has some enjoyment in it. Unfortunately BioShock 2 didn't really live up to it, and I hated Infinite so I guess the series as a whole is hit n' miss, but it's not enough to tarnish BioShock in my mind.

4: Saints Row 2

Saints Row 2 is the embodiment of fun, and is a worthy sequel to the original. I can't say much else otherwise I'd end up gushing too much fluid.

3: Remember Me
Good concept, well executed. Got some issues but overall very satisfying and enjoyable.

2: Oblivion

Oblivion is my second, and favourite Elder Scrolls game, great world, dull but 'entertaining' NPCs, hundreds of interesting quests, good questlines (for the most part), atmospheric as hell and has a difficulty curve like slamming you head into a car.

1: Portal

I put Portal here not because I had the most fun with it (Oblivion or Saints Row 2 would take that), but because I cannot fault it. Sure it's fans are horrible and Portal 2 didn't live up to it, but Portal is a small, effective and very witty and entertaining game. I can't think of any major issue with it.

Honorable mention goes to WoW's Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King expansions, that being my favourite time of the game, despite them not really being 'this gen' (Vanilla wasn't, as it came out in 2004).

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Now for the list of ultimate games is this generation....
(btw please read this with some sort of epic voice)

10.Portal 2
9. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
8. The Walking Dead
7. Bioshock
6. Metroid Prime: Trilogy
5. The Elder Scrolls IV: The Shivering Isles (i prefer the expansion)
4. Mass Effect
3. Dragon Age: Origins
2. Halo 3

And number 1 is.... The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings

OrpheusTelos

Mar 24, 2012
This is counting DS and PSP games, for the record.

10- Shin Megami Tensei IV

9- Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII

8- Darksiders

7- Resonance of Fate

6- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

5- Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep

4- The Last Story

3- Xenoblade Chronicles

2- Radiant Historia

1- NieR

Random Encounter

Feb 17, 2011
There are still a lot of games from the generation that I've been wanting to play but lack the time/money to do so, meaning that my list is not concrete.

In no particular order:

1. Bioshock
2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
3. Donkey Kong Country Returns
4. Fez
5. Hotline Miami
6. L.A. Noire
7. Minecraft
8. Portal
9. Red Dead Redemption
10. Super Mario Galaxy.

If I wrote an honourable mentions section it would probably go on for half a page.

ZCAB

Jan 15, 2013
Country
Netherlands
1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Skyrim
3. GTA IV
4. Super Mario Galaxy
5. Rayman: Origins
6. Batman: Arkham Asylum
7. Portal
8. Far Cry 3
9. Just Cause 2
10. Tomb Raider

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
1. Dragon Age: Origins
2. Mass Effect 1
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Bayonetta
5. Modern Warfare 1
6. Forza 4
7. Burnout Paradise
8. Plants vs Zombies
9. Dead Space
10.Batman Arkham Asylum

Dirt 2, Rayman Origins, Sleeping Dogs
These three were on the list until I remebered something better.

Why is there no love for racing games on this thread? 5 pages and I've only seen TrackMania and Split/Second mentioned?