Your Top 5 Favorite Games (with a slight twist)

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
PC: Baldur's gate 2, one of the best RPG of all time of all systems, it is incontestable.

Super Nintendo: Mortal Kombat 2, one of the first mortal kombat on snes that have blood inaddition the one of the game I played most at the time.

PSX: Tekken 2

PS2: Soul calibur 2

PS3: Tekken tag 2

What can I say? I game mostly with friends, in the same room while having beer.

KnightOfTwo

Jan 10, 2012
This was actually really hard, but here is what I decided on in the end

Persona 4 Golden (PSVita)
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)
Metroid Fusion (GBA)
Silent Hill 2 (PS2)
Dead Space (PC)

For the last 3, I just really like the way they managed the stalking monster concept.

The SA-X is why for me Metroid Fusion is better than Super Metroid, it turns it into a bit of a horror game. Adding tension that at any moment this unstoppable monster could pop up and you have to get away as fast as possible.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
This is going to be tricky for me, because I've never owned a console so I'm going to be very limited in my choices for a couple of them. Here goes though:

1. Dragon Age: Origins, plus the Awakening expansion (PC)

[small]My undisputed favourite game of all time, though it saddens me to have to jettison so many other great PC games. Under normal circumstances this list would be overwhelmingly PC focussed[/small]

2. Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (Xbox 360)

[small]Another tough choice, but this edges out the competition due to the phenomenal amount of fun I've had playing this with friends at our "MvC3 parties"[/small]

3. Pokemon Red (Gameboy Colour)

[small]The first game I ever played, so this has a special place in my heart. Unusually, this was also my first experience of a roguelike, as I had to play on my friend's Gameboy so I couldn't ever save my game[/small]

4. Plants vs. Zombies (Android smartphone)

[small]Maybe slightly cheating as I originally played this on PC, but the number of hours I've sunk into this is ridiculous. So addictive![/small]

5. Mario Kart (Arcade)

[small]The major draw of going bowling when I was younger was that the bowling alley had this game. I've never really played any (non-Pokemon) Nintendo games in any other context, but this was always a whole lot of fun (and I was good at it, which helped :p )[/small]

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
1. Okami (PS2)
2. Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack In Time (PS3)
3. Portal (PC)
4. Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage (PS1)
5. Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)

My poor list. Most of it was originally made up of PS2 and PS3.

Archangel768

Nov 9, 2010
1. Final Fantasy X PS2
2. Final Fantasy VIII PS1
3. The Curse of Monkey Island PC
4. Uncharted 2 PS3
5. Halo Something Xbox/360

I'd say it's probably down to Halo 1 or 2 as my favourite of the series.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Ha! I can't even make an accurate list this way either.

You keep yourself so busy you start to forget some of those special times you had with a good game. But there is still some that really stand out to me.

5. PS2: Shadow Of The Colossus
- It has so many problems, but some of the Titan idea's and how it worked with the mechanics I found really unique. It's a shame that when you know there weaknesses that they no longer provide a challenge. Well, except for the last couple which are just an absolute pain in the ass. I love the idea of it all and the soundtrack kicks ass.

4. N64: Ocarina Of Time
- I just love some of the stage designs and boss idea's in it. I find it a blast to replay some of the temples. It really feels like the perfect version of your typical adventure, accompanied by a great soundtrack. I was considering Majora's Mask here but I just don't remember enough of it.

3. Gamecube: Super Smash Brothers Melee
- I'm not saying it's better than Metroid Prime, because it isn't. However, I love the mechanics in it and how fluent the animation is. It leaves so much to the imagination. So many possibilities I probably will never see. Also, I still play it with friends now, since 2001, and we still believe it's the best games for making bets. I hate Brawl.

2. Computer: Lineage 2 (Chronicles 1 to 4)
- It's been overlooked and swept under now, but it was one crazy experience when it first came out. Crazy as Frank Zappa. It was beautiful for it's time and it was really free. It's such a shame there are no games like this one used to be. I also miss discovering quests by going through the story's, not enough games do this. Also, go listen to the music for the first couple of chronicles.

1. SNES: Super Metroid
- Like all of you, I have my own version of perfect, and this does it the most for me. Because it doesn't have a story in the normal sense, one of my friends disregards it as lazy. The thing is though, you shouldn't really add something unless you're going to do it well, and everything added into Super Metroid is really well thought out.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
In no particular order:

Tetris (GB)
Rockman (VIC20)
Jagged aliiance 2 (PC)
Action biker (C64)
Final fantasy 7 (PS)

Guess i'm showing my age :p

Funny how i struggle to think of good modern games but still remember almost everything about the games i used to play when i was younger.

Dec 10, 2012
1 - Playstation 3
Mass Effect (2?)
I would say Mass Effect 2 is my favorite game of all time, but it's hard for me to separate series like this into individual games. Normally that wouldn't be complicated, but since ME1 was originally an Xbox exclusive and didn't get ported to PS3 until after the trilogy was concluded, it's an unusual situation if I want to be technically accurate to my own preference AND follow the rules of this list...

Nevertheless, that's my number one answer. Everyone here has heard enough about Mass Effect, I'm sure, so I'll forego the explanation of why it's my favorite.

The majority of my top games are on the PS3, so I will have to shimmy down the list a bit to get to...

2 - Playstation 2
Shadow of the Colossus
This was a rather agonizing choice. There are as many excellent games here as there are on the PS3. This came down to either SotC or Persona 3, and I can't really say why I picked one over the other. But Shadow of the Colossus is just such a one-of-a-kind game, delivering an experience that I knew I would treasure forever long before I even finished the game. It doesn't have the endless replay value of many of my favorite games, but that almost doesn't matter when it leaves such a powerful and lasting impression.

Now it's going to get a bit muddy, as these are the only two platforms I have ever owned a large number of games for. I think the final 3 are going to be pretty interchangeable, but my next pick will have to be...

3 - Gamecube
Metroid Prime
This is the only game I ever owned for the Gamecube, gifted to me with the system by my stepbrother. It's plenty reason by itself to own this console anyway. I've never even played any other Metroid game, so perhaps my perspective isn't very informed, but I certainly don't know any other game that does the exploration thing quite so well. In fact, exploring Tallon IV is such a focus of the game that combat seems secondary.

A lot of people praise Dark Souls for it's oblique way of presenting the lore and the story in a way few other games do. If you ask me, Metroid Prime does this far better than Dark Souls. In DS you will likely miss most of the backstory and, indeed, what even actually happens in the game. In Metroid Prime the lore is given to you just as briefly and indirectly, but still manages to weave itself into the experience effectively. You are not going to go through this game with no clue why you are doing what you're doing.

For it's expert integration of fun exploration, surprisingly interesting boss fights, and lore into one cohesive whole, Metroid Prime is easily the best Nintendo game I've ever played. Which brings me to...

4 - PC
Heretic
You've all heard of Doom. Heretic is like Doom's little brother. It's younger, so it's always been in the shadow of it's older, better-known sibling, but it learned from it's brother's mistakes and lived a quieter, more fulfilling life. Until Heretic 2, at least.

Heretic is an early FPS, like Doom, set in a fantasy world overrun by demons, under the dominion of D'sparil, youngest of the three Serpent Riders. It was made by id software a couple years after Doom and added things like the ability to look up and down, as well as better graphics and far better level design. Doom may have a more visceral feeling of dread with its dark hallways and hideous monsters popping out at you, but Heretic is more streamlined and just more fun to play. It's less about the fear and gruesome visuals than being a solid shooter. It has, I think, smoother mechanics than most early FPSs, and is more focused and confident than it's predecessors.

I'm not sure why it never got the fame or notoriety of Doom, but it's a much better game in any case.

Now, the only other game platforms I've owned are the Sega Genesis (my first console ever), the Gameboy Color, and the original Playstation. Which will it be...

5 - Gameboy Color
Pokemon Gold
I only owned the first two generations of Pokemon, though I played the third once on a borrowed GB Advance. Gold and Silver was definitely the best generation of the three. The first generation was, of course, an instant classic, just a great, addictive game with RPG and collection elements up the wazoo. Gold and Silver was just more of the same with a bunch of new features, mechanics, and collectables. It was exactly what it should have been; it didn't try to revolutionize a formula that it knew was already a winner, and it wasn't old enough yet that it had to get radical in trying to breath new life into itself. It was just a pretty much perfect game.

This was a good twist, OP. I had fun with it, thanks.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (PC)
Timesplitters: Future Perfect (PS2)
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (Gamecube)
Uncharted 2 (PS3)
Dragon Age: Origins/Awakening (Xbox 360)

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (XBOX)

Heroes of Might and Magic III: Complete (PC)

Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition v. 2012 (PS3)

StarTropics (NES)

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)

I kind of cheated a bit with my Xbox and PC choices, since I play Morrowind on PC, but I needed Heroes on the list. I justify this with the fact that the first time I played Morrowind it was on the original Xbox. And it was magical.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
Windows XP - SimCity 4
Windows 7 - Fallout New Vegas
Windows 98 - Starcraft 1
Windows 3.1 - SC2K
N64 - Goldeneye64

I started all of them on different machines, but I still play them occasionally.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Oo. Alright then.

1. Final Fantasy VIII (PS1)
2. Persona 3 FES (PS2)
3. Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360)
4. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Xbox)
5. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle (Wii)

That's also using one game per series. My list would be boring as hell if I didn't.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (PC)
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (PS1)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
Journey (PS3)
Pokemon Y (3DS)

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
1. Xenogears, PS1

Favourite game of all time, so this one was easy. Fantastic characters, great designs, a story that is just unreal and deep and complex and sweet and sad and omgggggg.

2. Dragon Age: Origins/Awakening, PC

It's not that I necessarily believe that this game is better than Planescape, Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Arcanum, etc, but rather I see it as the endpoint and summation of the genre. It's the concept drawn to its natural conclusion, if not its zenith. All in all, a wonderful game that represents a wonderful genre.

3. Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call, PS2

Ugh, hated this choice. This is the BEST console, bar none, and I could just as easily have put down Persona 3/4, Final Fantasy X/XII or Suikoden III/V. In the end, though, Lucifer's Call is just darker, deeper and more compelling.

4. Demon's Souls, PS3

This game symbolizes everything that is best about the last generation. Lovely graphics and designs, great animations, eerie & foreboding, infinitely replayable. Really a perfect little gem, that eventually gave us Dark Souls.

5. Monster Hunter Tri, Wii

Perfect gameplay meets great monster designs and gives you an array of AMAZING weapons with which to hit them in the face. Was almost tempted to put down Xenoblade here, but the JRPG is well represented by the PS1&2.

Hemingslay

Aug 12, 2013
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (Playstation) The first game I ever owned! A grotesquely beautiful alien world with a ton of care and attention put into its details. Weird, funny, one of a kind.

Silent Hill 3 (PS2) Badass everyperson protagonist, terrifically creepy audiovisuals, horrible monsters. An omnipresent distressing atmosphere that eats away at your nerves until finding a cooked dog or screaming decapitated mannikin makes you turn the console off and hide under a blanket for an hour or two.

Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube) Campy horror, groundbreaking gameplay, satisfying weapons, great boss battles, a maniac with a chainsaw and a sack on his head...

Spec Ops: The Line (XBox 360) Uniquely introspective; a long hard look at videogames' portrayal of violence, wrapped in an engaging character-driven story. Great art direction, strong characters, and a message that doesn't just nail modern war games but entertainment-as-power-fantasy in general.

Dwarf Fortress (PC) My first fort's sheriff was kicked in the lung by a horse he tried to wrestle to death. He spent the rest of the game crawling everywhere and vomiting uncontrollably, but that didn't stop him from being elected mayor--apparently on a platform of having our legendary bowyer's arms broken (trade mandates are complicated). An imp set one of our donkeys on fire, and it wandered inside and set fire to our entire lumber supply. Then rhesus macaques stole all our fire opals, and my only dwarf who wasn't insane with grief was murdered by a carp. Deeper than the Mariana Trench and about half as hospitable, Dwarf Fortress is Minecraft without the fancy visuals or accessibility. And it's awesome.

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
Oooooooh. That is a bit different... let's see now.

The Walking Dead: Season 1 (PC)
Just Cause 2 (X360)
Kingdom Hearts II (PS2)
Virtue's Last Reward (3DS)
and...
er...
Ooh, Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)

Tactical Pause

Jan 6, 2010
Since I haven't actually used five consoles, I'm not going to put mine in any sort of order.

(PC) Bioshock: The first one, though I did really like Infinite as well. Bioshock had a huge influence on how I see video games today.

(PS3) The Last of Us: Obviously. I haven't played a great many PS3 games yet, but I sincerely doubt any will trump this one.

(PSP) Monster Hunter Freedom 2: Do handhelds count? If so, this game kicks ass. I haven't played it in a while, but I have some fond memories of its unbearable difficulty.

(Uh... Mac, maybe?) Escape Velocity: Look, I ran out of consoles, alright? Besides, even though EV: Nova was better, this game was still pretty killer way back when.

And that's it. I've stuck with the PC for so long that I never really bothered with the older consoles. No regrets.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Hmm...

Sly 2 (PS2)
GTA V(360)
SMB3 (NES)
FF6 (SNES)
Pokemon FireRed/Ruby (one of those Ninty handhelds)

RiseUp

Jan 31, 2014
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)
Metroid Prime (Gamecube)
Bioshock (PS3)
Dark Souls (Xbox 360)
Half Life 2 and its episodes (PC)

These aren't in any particular order. I really had to rack my brain to come up with a list of only five of my favorites, and listing them in any sort of order would've taken me a lot more time.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
1. Tales of Symphonia (Gamecube)
2. Final Fantasy IX (PSX)
3. Tales of Xillia (PS3)
4. Final Fantasy Theatrythm / Tales of the Abyss (3DS)
5. Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core (PSP)

I tried really hard for the 3DS choice but I just couldn't choose between them; I put way more hours into Theatrythm and feel it gave me more enjoyment overall but I also feel Tales of the Abyss was the better game.