Your Top 5 Favorite Games (with a slight twist)

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
These are in no particular order and subject to change with my mood. Especially with the nature of this poll. But at this moment I'd say...

PS2 - Sly 2: Band of Thieves - Pure joy, in game form! Only downside? Mz. Ruby didn't return.

PS1 - Final Fantasy IX - Touching story meets beautiful music and some of the best visuals ever seen on the PS1.

NES - Castlevania III - Great music and graphics with gameplay that couldn't possibly get much more rock solid. Very challenging and oh so satisfying.

GBA - Castlevania: Circle of the Moon - A challenging Metroidvania with a fun castle to explore. Good graphics for a GBA launch title (provided you're playing on a later system with a backlight) and the soundtrack is practically a "best of" compilation from the entire Castlevania series to that point.

PC - Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - One of the most immersive, beautiful RPGs I've ever had the privilege to play. Also it was too hard to pick between Serious Sam and Doom for an FPS lol.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
1. WWF No Mercy (Nintendo 64)
2. Fallout: New Vegas (Xbox 360)
3. Marc Echo's: Getting Up Contents Under Pressure(Xbox)
4. Jungle Book: The Game (Sega Genesis)
5. Super Smash Brothers Melee(Nintendo Gamecube)

EDIT: despite the simple look of my list this was a tough one for me...I hold multiple N64 and Xbox 360 games in very high regard....I even had afew Genesis games that almost edged out the Jungle Book game

FlambeNobunaga

Mar 4, 2013
Well, thanks. 3 of my top 5 are on the PS2. Guess I'll have to get creative...
1.Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
2.Just Cause 2 (Xbox 360)
3.Minecraft (PC)
4.Dark Souls (PS3)
5.Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)

My top 5 without the console stipulation is
1.Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
2.Jak 3 (PS2)
3.Ratchet & Clank: Up your Arsenal (PS2)
4.Just Cause 2 (Xbox 360)
5.Minecraft (PC)

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Well now that is a twist hmmm

Well to make things a little more interesting for me I am going to exclude my actual favorite games of all time from this list, just to make it a little more fun or else, well, this list will just look like any other top 10 favorite games list. At least the ones where I can either go no higher than 5 or 10.

Jersey Devil (Sony Playstation)
Rayman Legends (Xbox360)
Resident Evil Remake (Gamecube)
Splatterhouse 3 (Sega Genesis)
Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES)

*sigh* and two years ago I would have had the dream cast up there with Sonic Adventure 2 :*( damn you xbox live, you shattered my nostalgia glasses...right into my eyes...

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
God of war: ghost of sparta (PSP) - i only had the time to play 2 games on it and the other one was need for speed, so..
Crash team racing (PS) - Perhaps not the best game i had, but it was great fun with a couple of friends.
Red alert 2 (PC) - Well it was one of two games that made me want to buy a PC.
Tekken 6 (Android) - Do emulated games count? :/

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Ah shoot.

Uhm.

1. Mirror's Edge (Xbox 360) (I PLAYED IT ON ONE ONCE SO IT COUNTS)
2. Myst Online (PC)
3. Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon (PS1)
4. Guitar Hero 2 (PS2)
5. Bubble Bobble (NES)

That was hard. D:

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Let's see. In no particular order because that is impossible for me

1. Mega Man X on SNES
2. Bayonetta on the Xbox 360
3. Mega Man X5 on the Playstation Classic
4. Jackle on the NES
5. Kingdom Hearts 2 on the PS2

Again in no particular order but these would have to at least by my top games on those specific platforms.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
Can I start by saying:

a) Well, played.

b) You utter bastard!

OKAY now that's out of the way...let's do this!

1) Mass Effect (PC)
2) Flashback (Mega Drive, or "Genesis" to those not in the UK)
3) Total Carnage (SNES)
4) APB (Arcade cabinet)
5) Metal Gear Solid (Playstation)

Woo that was fun!

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
In no particular order:

Metroid Prime (GameCube)
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (Super NES)
Halo 3 (Xbox 360)
Fire Emblem (Game Boy Advance)
Pokémon Gold/Silver (Game Boy Color)

Good twist, though I think it would be better if it was "Favorite game for every console you care to mention". So I'm going to pretend like it is and say the rest.

Crusader Kings II (PC)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
Titanfall (Xbox One)[footnote]I played the Beta so it counts![/footnote]
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Nintendo 64)
Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox)[footnote]Halo 2 is actually my favorite Xbox game but I've only ever played it on an Xbox 360[/footnote]
Kirby's Adventure (NES)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
Gotcha Force (Gamecube)
No More Heroes (Wii)
Golden Sun (GBA)
Pokemon X (3DS)
Guild Wars (PC)

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Dragon Age (PS3)
Alan Wake (360)
Punisher (PS2)
Morrowind (PC)
Silent Hill (PS1)

Oh, man! That was difficult! Shit! I'm not even convinced these are my favorite, yet... It's one of those where it's my favorite RIGHT NOW but it'll change in a couple of hours.

Teh Jammah

Nov 13, 2010
Let's see...

Persona 4 (PS2)
Tales of Vesperia (Xbox 360)
Baldurs Gate 2 (PC)
Secret of Mana (SNES)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (X-Box)

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
O different consoles eh?

1. Silent Hill 2 (PS2)
2. Fallout 3 (Xbox 360)
3. LA Noire (PC)
4. Harvest Moon Animal Parade (Wii)
5. Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask (N64)

Kursura

Apr 8, 2010
Interesting twist.
Okami (ps2)
Abe's oddworld: exodus (pc)
Littlebigplanet (ps3)
warioland 4 (gba)
Silent bomber (ps1)

the_duke_CC

Feb 4, 2008
OK here goes:

Sonic & Knuckles (Sega Megadrive)
Final Fantasy IX (PS1)
Heroes of might & magic III (PC)
Resident Evil 4 (PS2)
Pokemon Blue (Pocket Gameboy)

Not a very exciting list I know

Black Reaper

Aug 19, 2011
In no particular order:

Castlevania Order of Ecclessia(Ds)
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus(psp)
Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend(Vita)
Tales of Vesperia(360)
Holy shit i cannot decide on the last one

It's either Castlevania Harmony of Despair(Ps3), or Metal Gear Rising Revengeance(Pc)

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
1. Skyrim: PC
2. Mass Effect 2: 360
3. ACII: PS3
4. Windwaker: Gamecube
5. Shining Force: Genesis (okay I didn't actually play it on Genesis but that's what it was originally released for)

Numbers 1 and 2 are actually in the right spots for my favourite games list with no twist. The rest would be further down but they still would all crack the top 10.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I like this twist.

PS2:
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne/Lucifer's Call:
Best turn-based combat system in a game, ever. It's fast faced and challenging with a whole bunch of tactical depth. The demon negotiation, fusion and collection is incredibly addictive; I've put more hours into this than Pokemon, at least! The story isn't the very best in a game, but that doesn't mean it isn't damned good. With 6 different routes relating to four factions, there's a ton of replay value. The game doesn't have a ton of character focus, as you spend much of it alone. It poses a lot of philosophical questions and your behaviour and choices throughout will determine which of the 6 paths you will take. One of the most interesting features of the plot is that the goal isn't to defeat the main "villains", but to decide which, if any, you agree with the most.

In short, it's an incredibly fun, open-ended, monster-catching dungeon crawler. The best JRPG ever made.

PC:
Planescape: Torment:
I've always been a little torn on this one because the combat is so bad. Unlike many other RPGs, it can almost all be avoided but, in dungeons, that's really hard. The actual mechanics aren't too bad; it's pretty much the same as Icewind Dale (which I love) but the encounters are just so poorly put together. The Curst Prison, for instance, just throws hundreds of high-level guards at you and it just isn't fun. The thing that makes it worth it, is a combination of the rest of the gameplay and the narrative. It has both some of the best writing and the best over-arching story of any game I've played and just exploring the world, engaging in debates (a viable way of defeating bosses) and solving puzzles is ver fun on its own. The game would have been much better if it were a point 'n' click adventure, but I love it all the same.

PSP
Final Fantasy Tactics
Second only to SMTIII in terms of brilliant turn-based combat, with a fantastic political story (that sadly goes mental about 2/3 of the way in, as FF plots are wont to do) that explores heavy themes such as classism. It's really quite odd for a Final Fantasy, with most of its lore sounding like something out of a history book. It's largely quite morally grey and a lot of it seems to be quite heavily inspired by the Thirty Years and English Civil wars. The game has a great story, with great grid-based combat that even includes a cool monster-catching mechanic. Troops can die permanently in battle and you can hire more from the Warrior's Guild to bolster your ranks.

It's extremely fun to play, with an engrossing story. It's just a shame that neither translation is especially great. The PSP one disappointed me because it was the same team behind the Vagrant Story translation, which I maintain is the best Japanese to English translation ever, in any medium.

I chose the PSP version because it was the only one released in Europe. I have played the PS1 version, though. Also, this may be replaced by Tactics Ogre which I am absolutely loving.

PS1:
Vagrant Story
A fantastic translation of a great script that tells one of the best stories in an RPG surrounds an incredibly difficult, but oh-so very satisfying solo dungeon crawl. The combat is kind of real-time, but you pause the game to take actions. A large sphere surrounds you and you can choose to attack any body part within range. If you have good timing, you can then chain combos together creating various effects, ranging from dealing more damage to healing you, to inflicting status ailments. The game has a ridiculously in depth weapon crafting system that you WILL learn if you don't want to die. It isn't about picking the strongest tool, but the right one for the job. The only problem with the game is how little it explains its less intuitive systems. But if you want a dark and extremely difficult solo-character RPG with a great story that ranges from political intrigue to horror without losing focus. Buy it.

Megadrive:
Rocket Knight Adventures:
Shock! Horror! Something that isn't an RPG! I wanted to pick Phantasy Star IV, but my heart belongs to this.

This is the best side-scroller ever made. Great visuals, great music, tight controls, varied and interesting levels with a challenging, but fair difficulty curve. Plus, you play as a possum with a rocket pack and sword that shoots FIRE. It has scrolling shmup sections and a giant mech battle to break up the platforming and not once does the quality falter. I just wish it were longer.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
Hmm, the twist makes things much harder. I would have probably entered at least 3 PC games otherwise.
Anyway, my list:

Xbox: Halo: Combat Evolved - I actually played it on pc originally and later the remake on 360. In fact, I never owned the original xbox. Anyway, I really liked this game. I've played the campaign so many times I now the spawns of many individual enemies by now. The gameplay and especially the AI and enemy design were just perfect and anyone who disagrees can, to quote some guy I saw posting a youtube comment a couple of days ago, go play something they prefer.

PC: Magicka - Only one game for PC? Seriously? The platform on which I played rayman 2, beyond good and evil, Civ 5, minecraft, The stanley parable and papers please. Anyway, I've chosen magicka. It's original combat with loads of options to kill your enemies, it's large amount of pop culture references and jokes and it's dungeons and deamons DLC with my favourite boss fight in any game to date makes it one of my favourite games I have ever played.

Gameboy advanced: Metroid Fusion - Ah, the glory of a metroid game that trusts you to aim for yourself. And all that in glorious 2d. Reminds me that I need to seek out and play Super Metroid some time. And metroid fusion has such great level design. The whole space station you are on just makes sense. It seems build in a way somebody might conceivably build a space station without ever needing invisible walls or anything like that to restrict your movement in ways that wouldn't make sense. which is a rarity in game design.

Wii: super smash bros brawl - Ok, so I have never really had nintendo home consoles but the super smash bros series is by far the most appealing reason for me to want to own one. I've played this game for so many hours with a room mate (and kept losing to him). It's just damn good.

Nintendo DS: Pokemon Heartgold - This game made me remember how thouroughly the first season of the pokemon series has managed to indoctrinate me at a vulnerable age. I started playing this on a borrowed DS and kept playing for over 250 hours until I had 11 pokemon at level 100 and had got myself all but six of the pokemon of the johto pokedex.