Nov 29, 2011
1) Dark Souls
2) Dragon Age: Origins
3) Valkyria Chronicles
4) Spec Ops: The Line
5) Catherine

William Ossiss

Apr 8, 2010
Huh... Odd question. Late in the 7 generations console cycle, I found myself renting more and buying the games I KNEW I'd get replayability out of... Anyway, my top 5 would have to be...

5. Blue Dragon. I really enjoyed this title. With my loathing of any jrpg games out there (because of the grind) I was hooked almost immediately when playing this. Not really replayable, but the initial fun was there.

4. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. For me, this is the game where they finally perfected everything the series stood for. Gameplay was fantastic, story was alright, but the thing that held my attention was the flow of movement. Every game since has to live up the the flow of movement because of this game.

3. Journey. Hey, not every game I loved was for the xbox. The random people you met along the way, the dangers you faced together... Short, but it was deep and emotionally satisfying for me. The way they never used words, the inability to communicate with the people you met; it was a gem among the rocks.

2. The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion. This was a pure gameplay game for me. Once I had beaten the stories the first time, I simply started a new game, traveled to Anvil, bought my manor, and then proceeded to horde everything I came across. I also discovered the duplication glitch after Skyrim had come out, so I had fun crashing the game XD

1. The Mass Effect trilogy. People say the ending to 3 was god awful, (which it sort of was till they fixed the obvious gaping plot holes... and then it was A, B, C, OR D) but the trilogy was something I enjoyed so thoroughly that I can quote the opening lines of 1 from memory. 2 was a continuation with much needed gameplay fixes, and 3's gameplay was a mastery of the series' gameplay. The story was outstanding. Good first game, fantastic second, mediocre third. (Hm.. which series was like that? Oh yeah, Batman.) The amount of manly man tears I shed during the entirety of the 3rd installation was more than the amount I shed for Clannad.

Tactical Pause

Jan 6, 2010
Bah, things like this are always too hard, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

1) The Last of Us - I pretty much bought a used PS3 entirely for this game, and I do not regret that decision one bit. There were plenty or really great games this generation, but TLoU takes the cake. The gameplay was solid, the pacing was impeccable, I loved the characters, and the conclusion was something that will definitely stick with me.

2) Bioshock (also Infinite, because they're pretty much tied) - This is the game that really got me interested in the more narrative angle of video games (yeah I know, I was late to the party). As anyone who knows me can attest, this created a snowball effect that absolutely changed who I am today. It's a little weird to think about.

3) Dragon Age: Origins - I've put more hours into repeated replays of this game than any other non-MMO/MOBA. The surprisingly complex world, the brilliant characters, and combat that made me feel like a master tactician (especially on the highest difficulty) cement this as one of my all-time favorite games.

4) Spec Ops: The Line - It wasn't for everyone, but in my opinion, this one aimed high and hit the mark perfectly. Weaving together deconstruction, condemnation, and good old-fashioned fantastic writing, it's a harrowing tale I won't soon forget.

5) The Walking Dead (Telltale) - No other game has ever hit me as hard as TWD did. Throughout the entire season I was glued to my screen (I hate that analogy, it creates a silly image in my head) thanks to excellent writing, acting, and the best use of illusion of choice I have ever seen.

Honorable mention: Dishonored (heh) - Just a crazy fun game, and this coming from someone who's never quite been a fan of stealth games. Sure, by the end you may have gotten a little too powerful, but that didn't stop it from being cool as hell. On top of that, I was incredibly surprised by how interesting a character Corvo turned out to be when you took a good look at him, despite his silence.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
No particular order, really.

Fallout: New Vegas
Xenoblade Chronicles
Saint's Row 2/3/4
Infamous 2
Journey

Honorable mention to Dragon Age: Origins and the entire Mass Effect Trilogy, which both lost points for middle installments that use terrible ideas as the central premise, while still providing great characters and pretty good narrative without the Bethesda characters or world unaffected by the amount of shenanigans you perform.

EDIT: WOW. NO ONE has said any GTA game, but Just Cause 2 and Saint's Row are absolutely clobbering it. HA!

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
In no particular order.

Console:
1. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
2. Demon's and Dark Souls
3. The inFAMOUS games
4. Hatsune Miku PROJECT DIVA F
5. Journey

Honorable mentions: Catherine, Dishonored, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, the Ratchet & Clank Future games, Darksiders II and The Walking Dead.

Handheld (PSP and DS; Vita and 3DS are 8th gen):
1. Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep and Re:coded
2. Pokémon Black/2 and White/2
3. The World Ends with You
4. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
5. The various Kirby games

Honorable mentions: Jump Ultimate Stars and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Argyle

Dec 12, 2013
FO3 and TLOU are tied for me right at the very top.
I loved SMG 1 and 2, they're probably tied for 2nd for me.
I also loved:
Red Dead (I like GTA V, but I think Red Dead is the better game and certainly the one I enjoy more)
Uncharted 2
The Walking Dead (I don't think I've ever been as anxious to finish a game. Let me explain. I played the first two episodes when they were free on PS+ just to see what all the hubbub was about. I IMMEDIATELY shelled out the 15 bucks to finish the series. I was just playing with my mouth open at like 3 in the morning.)
Assassin's Creed 2 (Probably my favorite original IP this gen, and this one is easily my favorite)
Bioshock 1/Infinite (Coin flip for which one is better. Miraculously, I didn't know the twist for Bioshock 1 despite playing YEARS after it's release. Objectively, I had more fun with the combat system in Infinite though)
Journey (Absolutely moving. I've played it multiple times since my original playthrough and every time feels like a unique emotional experience.)
Mass Effect (Yes, the first one. The other two seemed a bit too refined for my tastes, if that makes sense)

What I'll remember most from this gen is the spectacular possibilities of a smaller scale indie game. Super Meat Boy, Limbo, 'Splosion Man and 'Ms Splosionman, the Trials games, Brothers, Bastion, Mark of the Ninja, Shank, From Dust, Dust: An Elysian Tail and countless more.

Taurus Vis

Jan 12, 2013
1. Dark Souls
2. Fallout 3
3. Bioshock
4. Bioshock: Infinite
5. The Soundtrack of Halo 4 (everything else about that game is shit.)

Edit: GTA V was pretty good too. Dragon Age: origins was also fun.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Damn. This was a good gen between the DS & some great PC titles.

In no order:

Company of Heroes
Pokemon DPPt (or maybe BW)
Team Fortress 2
The World Ends With You
9 hours 9 persons 9 doors

Honorable mentions: Civilization V

All of these titles I've spent significant time invested in.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
1. Persona 4 Golden
2. Persona 4 Golden
3. Persona 4 Golden
4. Persona 4 Golden
5. Persona 4 Golden

Seriously though I've played so many excellent games this gen that it's impossible for me to rank them all. Also my tastes have changed as I've gotten older, so a game I might have really enjoyed 5 years ago I might not like much today and vice versa.

One thing I can say is that Persona 4 Golden is my favorite game ever :p

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
1. Diablo 3 - This game has gradually become my favorite game of all-time. Can't wait for the expansion!

2. Rock Band 3 - Now considered to be my 2nd favorite game of all-time. Drums are crazy fun and offer a sense of accomplishment I've never felt in any other game in history.

From here the list becomes difficult and could potentially change...

3. Dragon Age: Origins - Easily my favorite current generation RPG game.

4. inFamous - My favorite take on an open world game and on a superhero game (sorry Arkham Asylum). Awesome gameplay, awesome setting, fun characters, solid story.

5. . . . Can't decide. Civ 5, Plants vs Zombies, Defense Grid, Metroid Prime 3, Puzzle Quest, Mass Effect 2 and Borderlands all deserve this slot for various reasons.

BushMonstar

Jan 25, 2012
It's pretty simple for me:
1) Saints Row 2 - It was the perfect balance of everything for me - serious/wacky storyline, amazing city (Stilwater > Steelport anyday), and just a whole bunch of fun all around. Still love the other ones, with IV being my second favorite.
2) Team Fortress 2 - The only game I've ever managed to sink 400+ hours into. Love it to death, and have somehow never got bored of it.
3) Civilization V - This is one of the few games that just from watching it on YouTube I knew I would love playing. As it turns out, I was not wrong - I love this game, and have still yet to get bored of it.
4) Just Cause 2 - I always call this my "Podcast Game" - it's the perfect thing to just set up some Podcast to play in the background, hop in for a bit, go take over some settlements, and then hop out. Plus, dat multiplayer.
5) VVVVVV - I only really got around to playing this recently, but my god, do I love this game. It threw out all of the things I don't like in small/indie games, and kept the core-mechanics focused gameplay throughout.

Honorable mentions go to (in no particular order) Plants vs Zombies, Left 4 Dead 2, Super Mario Galaxy + 2, Garry's Mod, Minecraft, and Terraria.

sunsetspawn

Jul 25, 2009
Separating the genuinely good games from the media-hyped doritos-n-mountain-dew horseshit isn't easy.

I don't know about a list of 5, but I do know 1...

Risen - This sandbox RPG puts those terrible Elder Scrolls games to shame, and if you haven't played it and you consider yourself an RPG fan you should be embarrassed.

Other than that, I liked Mass Effect, DA:O, Dues Ex:HR, Borderlands 2, and Bioshock. Maybe, I guess that sounds about right. Oh wait, that's 6. Take out Dragon Age; it loses a point due to unoriginal TolkienySongofIceandFireiness.

the_great_cessation

Nov 29, 2011
1) The Last of Us
2) L.A. Noire
3) Brutal Legend
4) Journey
5) Bioshock Infinite

Honorable mentions: Rayman Legends, Batman: Arkham Asylum/City, Darksiders, Dishonored, Heavy Rain, Red Dead Redemption and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
1-Fallout 3 for the huge deep world and VATS which shows we can have cinematic kills without QTEs while making the shooting equivalent of crash junctions.

2 Borderlands (2) for just being a hell of a lot of fun to play with friends, online or on-couch. So many different ways to kill lots of things.

3 Portal (2) for being a hilarious mindfuck that shows you can have a compelling FPS where you don't kill things.

4 Valkyria Chronicles for being a weird combo of rpg, strategy, and shooter that actually works...and for having a lovely art style.

5 Saints Row 2 for just being big weird fun and without a drop of pretentiousness.

Other games that might end up on the list after I finish them: GTA V/online, Bioshock (Infinite), maybe a Mass Effect game but I couldn't get into the first one.

AnEnglishDragon

Jan 29, 2013
Easy.

1: Journey. This is my favorite game of all time. Hell, this is my favorite media experience of all time.

2: Mass Effect. Yes, the original. I loved the customization, music, story, and yes gameplay the best here. I <3 Mako.

3: Call of Duty: World at War/ Modern Warfare 2: I can't decide. Thanks to my array of pals in middle school, I simply had the best times playing these two games. Without question. If I could, I would still play them. FUCK HACKERS.

4: InFAMOUS 2. It's villains are lacking compared to the first one. Whatever happened to Sasha anyway?

5: Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition. I forgot what I originally was gonna put here, so I looked at Steam. Numbers do not lie. My most played game by far.

Burgers2013

Nov 3, 2013
MrBaskerville said:
Worst Games in no particular order:
Enslaved
Alone In The Dark
Legendary
Alone in the Dark was so bad I actually enjoyed it. I laughed so hard I cried after crashing into so many invisible walls and dying that the game reminded me that I could skip the level if I wanted.

This is pretty tough. There have been a lot of awesome games. I guess I'd have to say:

1. Fallout 3: Sure it had some glitches and a kind of weak ending; I don't play those games for the main story arc anyway. It gave me a powerful sense of adventure and agency. I started a new game and blew up Megaton to see if it could actually be done. The humor/writing was great, and many of the side-quests were wonderful.

2. Amnesia: The Dark Descent: This was one of the first survival horror games to come out in a long time (really since gen 6). It scared the pants off me. It utilized the pretty universal if not childish notions of the fear of darkness and just looking at the monsters is harmful and can increase the chance that they see you. No combat system. Brilliant.

3. Bioshock 1: Part horror, part first-person action with RPG elements. The mixture was executed beautifully with the the environment, aesthetic, and mechanics. Besides, it was built around a refutation of some of Ayn Rand's ideas presented in Atlas Shrugged. That sort of engagement with ideas or complex themes isn't something you come across on a regular basis with AAA titles. Excellent game.

4. Assassin's Creed 1: While this was definitely not the most polished of the series (AC II was the most polished game play wise as far as I'm concerned), I was absolute awe when I started to play this game. I hadn't played any of the Prince of Persia games, so I had never played anything remotely resembling this sort of fluid climbing/running mechanic. I actually enjoyed the intelligence gathering sections, the open level design, and the alternative approach to stealth. The historical aspect really impressed me as well. The fact that they took the time to get many of the monuments designed very close to the real buildings was amazing.

...4.5 The Walking Dead (Telltale): This game made me cry.

4.75 Heavy Rain: I guess it's not for everybody, but I enjoyed this adventure game quite a lot. The writing wasn't perfect, but most of the characters were still interesting. The game did some things with QTEs that made them more enjoyable (I thought shaking and rotating the action options during times of character stress was a good game-mechanic method of inducing player stress). I also thought it was really cool that some of the challenges were simply QTE trials while others were moral choices.

4.875 Dishonored: This is probably my favorite stealth game. I love having the sorts of choices the game allows you to make. The moral system was tweaked just a little bit from the standard to make it both more realistic and more interesting in terms of the end result.

4.9375 Resident Evil 5: It's not a horror game, but it was an excellent co-op action game. This is one of the few games I played through more than once. The game play was fun, the characters and plot were hilariously ridiculous, and the Mercenaries mode was great for this installment.

4.96875 Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion: The game play wasn't as smooth or half as beautiful as Skyrim, but I enjoyed this one more. I felt like the side quests contained more surprises/interesting stories and that there was always more to discover. I also liked the character building system (actually, Morrowind was my favorite) more because it was a bit more complex and seemed like there were multiple valid paths for character building (could be wrong). It seemed like with Skyrim you were a moron if you didn't go into smithing/enchanting immediately (of course, I didn't because reasons).

5. L.A. Noire: I loved the innovative mechanics with the interviews/interrogations. The detective work was awesome. The game could have done without most of the shootouts/car chases, but that's about it.

Honorable mentions: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Left 4 Dead, and Portal.

Sorry, five was not enough.

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
5.) Lost Odyssey - Not ever has a JRPG got me so emotionally invested in the characters and who cares if the third disc was entirely a cinematic I was hooked, I cried man, Phil and Lil made me cry and it wasn't the only moment in the game I felt that way. To this day I don't know how it made me so emotional.

4.) Yakuza 3 - It's the best of the Yakuza games released for the 7th gen -- released in PAL anyway and the Yakuza games are some of the best games ever made. 'Nuff said really.

3.) Xenoblade Chronicals - When a JRPG is good, it's easily the best kind of game and this is easily the best JRPG of this generation. XBC had me playing upwards of 100 hours and I was no where near finished, most importantly it made me care about side quests. SIDE QUESTS, HOW?

2.) Grand Theft Auto IV - I felt it had the most lovable and charming characters in any GTA game and to top it all off it had an addictive, well written story and to this day is the only Rockstar Game I've played through more than once. "Ballad of Gay Tony" could have been better though.

1.) Far Cry 3 - The first time since "Timesplitters 2" or possibly "Prey" that I felt like any First Person Shooter had any sense of worth and it ended up being one of the most visceral and immersive games I have ever played, even if Jason Brody is an annoying **** rag -- but at least he had some kind of personality.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
1: Mass Effect (agh 1,2 or 3?) Ok 2, for the suicide mission alone!
2: Fallout New Vegas, I've restricted myself to one Bethesda game, and it's the one not by Bethesda!
3: Dragon Age Origins, it came out a year after Mass Effect and wasn't as tecnically advanced, but I love the characters.
4: Saints Row 2, for being the most fun you can have without getting naked with a bottle of vodka &#9786;
5: inFAMOUS 1 & 2, I have to have both as the Cole story is brilliant, fun to jump into, and the endings of the 2nd still makes me cry (maybe it's the music!)

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
AnEnglishDragon said:
4: InFAMOUS 2. It's villains are lacking compared to the first one. Whatever happened to Sasha anyway?
There was a series of tie-in comics reeased that filled in more details between the events of inFAMOUS and inFAMOUS 2

http://infamous.wikia.com/wiki/InFamous:_DC_Comics

Info on Sasha]basically, Moyra (the supposed FBI aent from the first game, decides to capture Cole, having alread captured Alden Tate and Sasha. Using Sasha's black tar, she captures Cole and holds him on a ship in the remains of Empire City's harbor. However Sasha breaks free, find Cole and releases him. She then fights with Moya before fleeing. She is assumed dead as the good ending of inFAMOUS 2 is canon

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
1) Demon's/Dark Souls
Immensely fun and rewarding gameplay, intriguing atmosphere, amazing art direction; I love nearly everything about those games.

2) Arkham City
Like another poster said: will a Batman game ever again be this good? Simply fantastic. From the gameplay, to the stories to the way the lore is treated with all those little cameos and easter eggs. Asylum is an amazing game as well but City just took everthing I loved about this game and made it even better.

3) Deus Ex Human Revolution
Awesome story that really drew me in, great gameplay, interesting characters and the near future setting was very intriguing. Classic cyberpunk re-imagined.

4) GTA5
This game that was just amazingly fun to play. Huge, detailed world that was a joy to explore and gameplay that fixed every issue I had with GTA4(from the driving to the shooting controls). Also credit to Rockstar for giving the game cleverly written protagonists I've never seen in any other game before(for better or worse), and once again pushing the medium into different and unknown directions.

5) Max Payne 3
Another Rockstar game. :p One of the best third person shooters ever made in my opinion. Gameplay is so rewarding and satisfying. Max Payne's sarcasm is often(unintentionally) hilarious and lightens up what is an otherwise pretty dark and well written storyline. Also the transition between cutscene and gameplay is flawless.

And b/c I can't stop at 5..:p

6) AC4: Black Flag
Best Assassins Creed game to date. The naval combat was my favorite element of AC3 so I was really glad they built the entire game around it. Also the setting was downright gorgeous and exploring it remains phenomenal. The gameplay was also improved and espescially the combat now seems to flow a bit better.

7) The Last of Us
The storyline was great but to be honest I was never really as captivated by it as many seemed to be. However the setting and atmosphere was just pitch perfect. I really enjoyed the gameplay as well. The gunplay was intentionally less precise and the melee had a raw and desperate feel to it. The game made you feel underpowered and it really heightened the experience for me.

8) Dead Space 2
Best action horror game since Resident Evil 4. Which happens to be one of my favorite games of all time so I can't think of any higher compliment. :p

9) Metal Gear Solid 4
Amazing 'conclusion' to the series. The gameplay is basically MGS3: Subsistence but much improved and the story had me guessing at every turn. I have been following the series since MGS1 so the attempts of this game to tie up all those loose end just left me often in awe at Kojima's creativity. Also revisiting Shadow Moses was just...pure nostalgia.

9.9) Mass Effect 2
First ME game I played and still my favorite. Excellent characterization and the Reaper threat really gave the game an ominous feel. The ambiguity about the nature of this threat is what really drew me in, more so than the actual story itself. Gameplay was also excellent.

10) Dishonered
I loved the authenticity in the setting of this game, it felt like a place that could have actually existed. The gameplay and story were also excellent.

Honorable mentions: Sonic Generations, Spec Ops The Line, Transformers Fall of Cybertron, Fallout 3/NV, Skyrim, Oblivion, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Vanquish, Tomb Raider, Silent Hill Downpour, Hitman Absolution, Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite..and probably some I forgot in one of the best console generations. :p I would mention the HD collections of Ico/SOTC and MGS as well for being truly excellent.