Sep 4, 2012
OZ7O said:
You have an awful taste in games!
DRAGON AGE 2?!?
HALO 4?!
A.v.P. 2!
PROTOTYPE?!!/!?! ERRH MERHH GERRRD
OT. I put a lot of time in this list so please take the time to read it
You want your own list to be taken seriously but introduce it by insulting other people's taste? Different people like different things you know. It means their tastes differ, not that their taste is "awful". C'mon now!

On topic:

These are purely a list of favourites and not a list of games that I think are "best" - that would look very different.

1. Civilization: Because I've probably put more time into it than into any other game. It hasn't aged badly (I don't feel that the newer version have really added much that wasn't there the first time around aside from visuals).

2. Conquests of the Longbow: Partially a nostalgia choice, but I genuinely loved it when I first played it and I still like the way the story worked and the fact that the ending had variety.

3. Uncharted Waters: Every 2-3 years I replay this, and every time I do I enjoy myself. I've bought all kinds of nautical-themed games since then and none of them has been nearly as fun.

4. Mass Effect Series: I laughed, I cried, I made robots fly through the air. I'm also one of the very few who enjoyed scanning planets in ME2.

5. Caesar III: My favourite city-building game - the only city-building game that I actually cared to buy after playing a demo.

6. Dr Mario: Still my favourite way to waste time when I'm sitting on the phone on hold (or in a really boring conference call).

7. Fallout Series: Primarily 2 and NV, but when I've had to travel to the DC metro area I've found myself constantly wanting to quote 3, so clearly that one's stuck with me as well.

8. Summoner: I played it 3 or 4 times over the course of one year - I don't know why, because it wasn't that good, but I clearly loved it. I have fond memories for the sequel as well.

9. Dragon Age 2: Was Origins a better game? Yes, it was. I don't care - I loved that this was a fantasy game that had a hero being buffeted about by fate rather than becoming the savior of the world. You can think I have crap taste all you want, but I just started my 8th playthrough and I'm not ashamed.

10. This slot could be any of a pile of casual/social games - some 4-player split screen shooter, some singing game, one of those Nintendo ones with the flying monkeys - anything that you can play with a bunch of people in the same room.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
theultimateend said:
scorptatious said:
Off topic: Okay seriously, these ads that are blocking where I type are kind of annoying.
Crazy annoying isn't it.

Do you use Chrome? I switched to Firefox and it stopped happening. Not that you should have to switch but that might be a fix.
I am using FireFox. :(

Maybe the reverse will probably work for me. >_>

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
scorptatious said:
theultimateend said:
scorptatious said:
Off topic: Okay seriously, these ads that are blocking where I type are kind of annoying.
Crazy annoying isn't it.

Do you use Chrome? I switched to Firefox and it stopped happening. Not that you should have to switch but that might be a fix.
I am using FireFox. :(

Maybe the reverse will probably work for me. >_>
Hope this gets fixed soon.

Reminds me of games that don't work because of DRM.

I'm super nice and not using web editors and getting a broken chat box in return :(.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
The list will change from time to time (it might even be different than the one I gave a few days ago). Anyways...

1). Xenoblade Chronicles: Just an excellent experience overall. I don't think I've ever been as connected to a game's world, characters, and stories as I was in Xenoblade. The beautiful environments made up for the Wii's graphical limitations, the soundtrack was arguably the best I've ever heard, and the general gameplay and (most of the) missions were things I wanted to do without ever feeling forced to do it. This is actually one of the few games I've played where I started wasting time in it just because I didn't want it to end. The only issue is that the game is over 100 hours, so finding the time to replay it can be hard. Still, the memories I have of this game are almost completely unmatched, except by The Sands of Time.

2). Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time: I love platforming and action games, and The Sands of Time trilogy did the best job of merging those two genres of any game series I've ever seen. What makes The Sands of Time stand out is it's simplicity yet ability to keep me guessing of what was coming in terms of puzzles and combat. Not to mention, it has the best story I've ever followed in a game, and shows just how perfectly to reflect romance in a video game in terms of both story and gameplay.

3). Tales of Vesperia: This was a surprise. I tried the demo but hated it, but I ended up seeing it in the game store and since there was nothing else interesting to buy, I decided to pick it up. It's probably the most beautiful game I've ever played. It's self-aware parodying of popular TV show and move tropes combined with its more serious and mature story was handled flawlessly, as was the humor and more serious moments in general. It's characters are also some of the best I've ever seen. If the game didn't feel like it was dragging itself out towards the end, then it might have made it even higher.

4). Fallout 3: I absolutely loved exploring The Capital Wasteland, which is saying a lot considering I normally don't like that kind of environment. Not to mention, this is probably the only Bethesda game that had a good enough cast of characters to keep me interested in them from beginning to end, as well as remembering them long after I finished the game.

5). The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: Loved this fantasy world. It was absolutely beautiful, and there aren't many games where I've spent as much time just looking out over the lush landscapes as I did in this one. Everything about this world just made me want to explore it, no matter how many times I ended up going through generic dungeon #337.

6). Mass Effect 2: To me, this did the best job in the trilogy of merging excellent writing with good gameplay. Its story was the weakest, but its character completely unforgettable. Not to mention, the final attack on The Collector Base was one of the best ending levels in any game I've played.

7). Super Smash Bros. Melee: Along with being the best fighting game I've ever played, this game also has the fondest memories of any multiplayer game I've played. I recently saw this game on sale at a convention and might have even shed a tear for all the good times I had with friends and family with this game.

8). Dark Souls: Haven't completed it yet, but I feel this game has deserved its spot here already. It is rare, and I mean very rare, for a game to be this simultaneously fun and challenging, somehow balancing the two so neither is sacrificed for the other. It isn't flawless and can be horribly dejecting at times, but no matter how many times I take a mandatory break from the game, I'm always looking forward to my next attempt at it.

9). Super Mario Sunshine: I liked how they kept the open-ended "just have fun" feel of Super Mario 64 while giving a much needed refinement to the core mechanics of the game. I'm normally the type to just go through doing what needs to be done in a game, but Sunshine really got me away from that, having me create my own fun more often than following the game's own challenges. Oh yeah, and I absolutely loved the tropical setting.

10). Super Mario Galaxy: There was just something special about this game. It was an excellent experience that had a great sense of personality. It helps that the levels were designed so well, even if it could have been a bit more challenging.

Megahedron

Aug 27, 2010
Someone should make an account that does nothing but reply to "Top X Games" threads with a list and see how many posts he/she can get with nothing but video game titles and numbers.

Tweg

Jul 15, 2013
1. Dark Souls
Countless hours of pure enjoyment. Huge replayability. I can't even count how many new characters I have started. So many possibilities when it comes to building a character. Cool weapons, items and magic. Very rewarding experience. Also fantastic world and level design ( Sen's Fortress <3)
2. Walking Dead
Most emotional experience of my gaming career. Story is beyond amazing. Well-made characters.
3. Journey
This one is hard. I don't even know why I like it so much, I just do. Hypnotizing experience.
4. To the Moon
Boring gameplay but the story <3
5. Fallout New Vegas
One of my most played games of all time. The atmosphere, dialogue and characters are awesome! Much more enjoyable than Fallout 3 IMO.
6. Bioshock Infinite
Relatively enjoyable gameplay, but the world and story are the best things here. I love Columbia as a setting.
7. Civilization V
One more turn...
8. Spec Ops: The Line
Honestly the gameplay is really average and boring but the story is something new. And they make fun of modern brown military shooters.
9. Heavy Rain
Again, the story. Also the interactivity, what you do actually matters and affects the outcome.
10. Minecraft
Just gotta have it here, something completely unique. I was addicted to this game for a long time.

As you can see I appreciate stories in games.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Eh, I'm terrible at deciding on favourites, and I don't take to favouritism in general, so i'll give you a "10 games Headsprouter really likes!" list.

1. Timesplitters: Future Perfect, but I love all of the series.. even so, one of my favourite games of all time. Probably my favourite.
2. Dark Chronicle, just a really good, underrated JRPG. Cool story, cool monsters, cool music, cool everything.
3. Bioshock 1 and 2, but not so much Infinite, but Infinite's pretty great, mind you.
4. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Morrowind and Skyrim are great, too, but this one was my introduction to the series.
5. Borderlands 2. Maybe. I've pumped hours into it, but did I really enjoy it THAT much, or is it the skinner box of loot? Anyhow, the latest DLC really restored my faith in Gearbox.
6. Chasm: The Rift. Poor man's Quake my ass! This is my favourite classic FPS!
7. Ratchet and Clank 2. I've never played the later ones, but I know the original trilogy was awesome and I enjoyed every minute of them.
8. Pokemon. If I had to pick a favourite gen, it'd be the third.
9. Soul Calibur. Might as well throw my favourite fighting game in here as well.
10. Fallout 3! It's really great and stuff.

Lygus

Apr 7, 2013
1) STALKER series

2) Deus Ex 1

3) Fallout series (except FO3)

4) Planescape Torment

5) The Witcher series

6) TES3: Morrowind

7) Operation Flashpoint (Cold War Crisis + Resistance)

8) Arma 2: Combined Operations

9) Vampires The Masquerade - Bloodlines

10) Age of Empires 2 & 3 (cannot decide between the 2!)

Random lists in random TOP10 threads! :p

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
TornadoCreator said:
scorptatious said:
TornadoCreator said:
scorptatious said:
Uh... But Shadow of the Colossus IS my favorite game. I didn't place it up on the top of the list to look cool or because it's considered an art game, I legitimately love the game.

Tornado, it's fine if you don't enjoy the game, but it's kind of rude to call people who do like it hipsters.
Actually I think Shadow Of The Colossus is a really good, captivating, and atmospheric game. Unlike some games (cough*OcarinaOfTime*cough), it does actually deserve the praise it gets. I never said any of the games where bad. I agree that Valve makes high quality games (albeit not to my taste), and I enjoy many AAA games. It's far easier to peg me as a hater though so people assume...

My point wasn't that the games aren't deserving, just that these threads are rarely ever actual conversations and they're basically pointless. People come in, post their top 10's and then leave, often without reading a single post before them. Hardly anyone elaborates on why these games are their favourites or says anything that might lead into an actual conversation. No. They just dump their list and leave, often not even caring if people ever respond to it. It's quite sad really, threads like this are basically the forum equivalent of a toilet. People just dump arse and leave.

As for the hipster comment, I think I'm justified. Whether people like it or not, for every one person who genuinely likes Shadow Of The Colossus as their favourite game, there are two who just claim they do (some without even having played it), because it's the cool hipster game of choice. It's the go to game for arguing "video games are art", so all the pompous arrogant, "I like games that broaden the horizons" douches, (you know; the ones that think games like "The Path" are saying something profound), they all latch onto it as though it's the fucking messiah. Like I say, I do like the game... probably not in my top 10, but top 20 sure.

While I still don't necessarily agree with the hipster comment, I can kinda see where you're coming from when it comes to these threads. People do kinda just leave a list and don't elaborate. (I'm somewhat guilty of this.)

Just get Adblock Plus, seriously. I have no trouble at all. You can always white-list sites if you feel particularly charitable but I find few sites use ads conservatively and respectfully enough for me to do so.

As for top 10's, I actually like them. I watch countdowns on YouTube a fair bit, but honestly most top 10 lists are so incredibly predictable all I can think of is this.

It's just too true...
Doesn't suggesting Adblock incur moderator wrath? Or am I thinking of something else?

But yeah, I just want the ads to be less obtrusive. Or is it intrusive? I don't know, I just want them not to get in my way.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
1. Ultima VII - You are still the greatest
2. Oblivion + Shivering Isles + Mods - 320+ hours can't be wrong
3. Doom - I shall never forget thee and play thee until the end of times
4. Civilization IV - damn thy stack of doom, Ghandi
5. Fallout 3 / New Vegas - 300+ hours can't be wrong
6. Morrowind - the best world and storyline in an RPG. Sadly, it has not aged well
7. Gothic + Gothic 2 - it is alive, like Ultima
8. X-Wing, TIE Fighter - I grew up in a Star Wars cockpit
9. X-Com Terror From the Deep - strategy and base building at its finest
10. Deus Ex - visionary

Honorable mentions:

11. Skyrim - I will still get to the 300+ hours
12. Starcraft - Best RTS of all time
13. Ultima Underworlds - captivating
14. Mass Effect - the universe I've always dreamed of
15. Minecraft - limitless potential

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Disclaimer: The top three are practically solidified while 10-4 switch around amongst themselves or with other games. So if it means anything, this is my Top 10 as of July 2013.

10: Halo 3: ODST, for it tried to be unique (well for it's series anyway), brought us back to using medkits for survival which I really, really embraced. It was atmospheric and handled it's free roaming element quite well, especially as you discover Sadie's Story as the game goes on.

9: Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Amnesia is one of the few games which has actually scared me in recent memory. I still haven't completed it because I can barely progress when I go on it because the music, the jam and the monsters scare me off. Regardless it's incredibly poorly designed but it's made up by the fact that it's (I hate using this word) immersive enough for me to play for another 2 minutes before smashing Windows button when a Monster comes to eat me.

8: Saints Row 2, this game combines characterisation, story and gameplay beautifully together whilst being ridiculously fun. Sure the intro is awful and it's essentially a GTA Clone, but it's probably what I'd point to if someone asked me what was "fun" in physical form. It also knew how to balance goofiness with seriousness, something which Saints Row: The Third and GTA IV respectively completely forgot how to do.

7: Spec Ops: The Line, ok Spec Ops is overrated but I didn't find it's gameplay too boring and I found it's story very entertaining (even if the ending confused me a bit), everybody already knows everything there is to know about Spec Ops from well, these forums so I won't continue.

6: BioShock, I only recently completed BioShock (and Infinite) under a week ago but I absolutely loved it. Gameplay wise BioShock is completely easy, but is tense and exciting because of how fast you lose health. Weaving gameplay into the story is also handled masterfully with the Plasmid business and the Audio logs. Story wise, it's all very interesting and relatively easy to follow. I suppose it's just System Shock 2 for console players but it's a good game regardless. I also find the story behind the Big Daddies and Little Sisters great, and I find their relationship adorable so I rarely even consider harvesting Little Sisters. Amazingly enough I really liked a game which received universal praise (as opposed to what I thought about Infinite).

5: Silent Hill: Downpour. Downpour is under appreciated. Glaring as the flaws are, Downpour is not a bad game on it's own merits. Aside from the mailman and to a lesser extent the Nun, the characters all fit the plot rather well and how they revolve around Murphy is how support characters are supposed to be portrayed. Those human things called 'monsters' have horrendous designs but I found the atmosphere MUCH better than Silent Hill 2-4's because the Monsters are hardly seen even in the Otherworld, compared to Silent Hill 2 which has Monsters popping out of every corner to stab you or cough acid in your face which only gets worse during the "missions". Downpour's decision to make the city worth exploring was a massive step in the right direction and I hope Silent Hill 9 (if it happens) carries on the trend.

4: Remember Me. I've already explained a bit of why I love Remember Me since I came onto this forum. Basically I find that it's a unique game which executes it's ideas well, with an interesting story that isn't filled with massive flaws like what Capcom usually forces onto games it publishes and characters which fit the plot (bar one who thankfully has brief appearences) and a world which actually feels like a world drastically changed because of the events of the game.

3: World of Warcraft: WoW's one of the few games to keep me invested for several years nonstop and branch into multiple gamestyles. It's just damn good and while it's stories are very hit and miss (it has some amazing moments like the Purge of Dalaran and terrible ones like Kael'Thas' inability to die), the core gameplay is solid, the world is incredibly varied, beautiful and (again I hate the word) immersive and I could, nay have spent years exploring and questing. It's being dumbed down but I've loved it since I was a young boy playing it for the first time when the European servers opened, and it's one of the few games which don't leave me nostalgia blinded because I remember how awful each major expansion was as well as how good they were.

2: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Oblivion is a damn fine game and most of the reasons why I like it is identical to WoW, and even to this day I have not come close to finding each side quest. I find myself enjoying the atmosphere and all the unique and interesting storylines, even the main one to a minor extent. Cyrodil I will always love you.

1: FarCry, this is just a damn fine game. Unsurprisingly the Cry Engine assaults me with it's eternal beautiful ability to make huge expansive levels filled with beautiful scenery, as well as having a story filled with cliché but oddly compelling. Jack, Val and Doyle may be a bit cliché a bit too but I became very attached to them in each of my several thousand hours of playing it. The stealth's a bit broken and the difficulty curve is merciless but it all adds to the feeling that Jack is very vulnerable in a world where he is the mouse running through a maze of deadly traps. I felt betrayed when FarCry 2 and 3 didn't follow in it's footsteps (as in being actual sequels) but thankfully it's not tarnished my love of the original game.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
10 Hitman: Blood Money
9 Batman: Arkham City
8 Quake 2
7 Warcraft 3
6 Mount and Blade: Warband
5 Ultima 7 + Serpents Isle
4 Left 4 Dead 2
3 Total Annihilation
2 Nox
1 Ultima Online

Captcha: End of Story.

SpunkeyMonkey said:
Can you do me a big favour, these top 10 lists keep appearing 10-a-penny but always just seem to dissipate into nothing ness.

So for a change, would you keep track of the answers you get, and compile a "definite" top 10 list from all of them?

It'd just be interesting to see the results for a change.
You could always do it yourself? I mean you can read the posts just as well as the OP can.

You just have to weight points differently like 2 for a first place. 1.5 points for 2nd and 3rd place. Then 1 for everything else. Add them all up and divide by the total number of posters in the thread who answered the question. Count each game by point average and then compile a list.

OZ7O said:
You have an awful taste in games!... ...A.v.P. 2!
AvP 2 is one of the best games ever made so uhhhh... no u!

ReverendBob

Nov 20, 2012
A view from the older crowd. Results ranked by how much I love them, but organized by genre:

1. The Secret of Monkey Island - (runners up: Full Throttle, Grim Fandango) Ah the venerable and late appreciated Adventure Games. I have loved the Monkey Island series for more than twenty years now. It astounds me that in nearly a quarter of a century, we have not topped insult sword fighting. I have owned at least four copies of the original

2. Tie Fighter - (runners up: X-Wing, Wing Commander 3) There has never been a space-combat flight sim that can top our noble service and sacrifice for Vader and the Emperor. If they sold joysticks for PCs anymore, I would probably find a way to make this work.

3. Super Mario World - (runners up: SMB3, Super Meat Boy) The classic uncomplicated pure platformer. There are excellent arguments for why SMB3 is the superior game, but I love Mario World so much more. Maybe it was the better graphics, maybe it was just because it was easier.

4. Fallout - (yes, Fallout 1. runners up: Baldur's Gate II, Fallout 2) War. War never changes. I wish the same were true for WRPG's. Fallout was simply brilliant. Not as big a world as its sequel and not as colorful (or expansive) as BGII, but it was finely crafted throughout. An RPG where I could offer better solutions because I was smart? An RPG where I can convince the boss to kill himself if I am charismatic? I'll take that over the modern vacant open-world expansiveness any day.

5. Metal Gear Solid 3 - (runners up: MGS: Twin Snakes, the original Metal Gear) Say what you will about the narrative mess that the series has turned into, MGS3 and the earlier entries had fantastic gameplay. And the story hadn't gone completely off the deep end. Personally, I loved the story of MGS3 once it was revealed in its entirety. Definitely the only acceptable example of "Press X to continue."

6. Half-Life/Counter Strike (circa beta 6/7) (runners up: Quake 3, Max Payne) Probably the toughest category, both because of the single-player/multi-player split and the sheer number of titles. I probably played Counter Strike more than any of the other FPS's despite my love for so many. But I have to give credit to Half-Life and Counter Strike for both being revolutionary. Also regenerating health has destroyed the entire genre.

7. Street Fighter IV (runners up: MvC 2, MK2, SF2) As much as I want to give it to my childhood in the arcade and reward SF2, I cannot deny that SFIV is simply a newer better game.

8. Final Fantasy II (yes, I know it is IV, but it wasn't when it was released. runners up: Chrono Trigger, FF Tactics) This is another game that I have loved for decades and owned in probably 4+ different forms. Many love VI for its sprawling epic. Many love the later FF games because they have no taste. But I love the story of Cecil, Rosa, Kain, and Golbez. Plus this game has gotten better as new versions have come out.

9. Bionic Commando (NES) (runners up: Mega Man 2, Castlevania (NES), God of War) Action platformers (defined by me as platforming + shooting/whipping/caning). Another category with more fabulous games than can be listed. This genre is tricky as it requires perfect tuning. Bionic Commando is not as perfectly constructed as Castlevania or as iconic as Mega Man, but the swinging mechanic just does it for me. Screw Capcom and Konami for running these franchises into the ground.

10. Strider (Arcade) (runners up: Quiz and Dragons, Gauntlet Legacy, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, APB) Some part of me dearly misses the arcade at the bowling alley and the mall. So many awesome quarter-eating "modern" spectacles. I would walk from elementary school to the baseball card store and then to the 7-11 and play Strider. Now I want to go buy one of the machines for my home. I am pretty sure my wife will kill me.

Genres that didn't make the cut:

Racing games - F-Zero (runners up: Gran Turismo, Super Mario Kart Double Dash)
Sports games - Tecmo Bowl (runners up: NBA Jam, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, Blades of Steel) Yes, there have been no good sports games produced in over twenty years. Sorry.
MMORPG - World of Warcraft (I guess Everquest would be my second)
RTS - Starcraft II (perhaps sacrilege that I didn't pick SC: Brood War, but I suck at that)
Sims - Civilization V (this is a genre that I think has generally improved over the years, except for SimCity... wtf EA?)

e033x

Sep 13, 2010
1: Mount and Blade Warband, because mods. Especially mount and musket, now napoleonic wars.
2: Dwarf Fortress. Because..... If you have to ask that question, you need to play more DF.
3: Crusader Kings 2, because it is the best grand strategy game i have ever played.
4: Minecraft, because mods, really. Tekkit sucked a couple of hundred hours from my life.
5: Civilization V, gods and kings. Vanilla was not so good, but modded G&K is awesome.
6: Shogun 2: Total war, fall of the samurai. Best iteration of gunpowder total war.
7: X2/X3. Best space 4x simulators out there now. Pledged and eagerly awaiting Star Citizen.
8: Skyrim, because mods.
9: Command and Conquer: Generals. Rockvees FTW.
10: Dawn of war: The Dark Crusade. Cuz stuff. Basilisks mainly.

If one have not yet deduced my preferred gaming medium from the list, here's the big scoop: I am very much a PC exclusive gamer. No console will ever find a place under my roof. In that sense, the upcoming generation have given me many laughs.

Mr. Wolf

Oct 22, 2010
1. Mass Effect series
2. Deus Ex
3. Fallout 1-2
4. Oblivion
5. Half-Life
6. Diablo 2
7. Dreamfall
8. The Longest Journey
9. Borderlands
10. Dark Messiah

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well, in no particular order.

Mirror's Edge - When in full flow, it is hands down my favourite experience in a game. Clean aesthetic and music ain't bad either

Bayonetta - Just balls to the walls ridiculousness, especially towards the end, and it embraces it and is wonderful.

Sonic The Hedgehog 1 - Very first game as a child and I love it immensely. Green Hill Zone and Star Light Zone are both still two of the best track in video game music, in my opinion.

Sonic Adventure 2 - YES, I KNOW IT MAY NOT HOLD UP AS WELL NOWADAYS BUT I STILL LOVE IT SO VERY MUCH, SHUT UP!

[sub] Especially you, shrekfan [/sub]

Viva Pinata: Trouble In Paradise - In a generation possibly defined for a lack of colour, this is the complete reverse. Absolutely chock full of a variety of colours. And anybody calling it a kiddie game has obviously never touched the thing because it can be difficult and has depth unrivalled by but a few titles.

Pokemon - I can't pick one. I love the series as a whole. Again, another "brought up with it" series too.

Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker - It's just wonderful. The cel-shading, the music, just everything. I even enjoyed the sailing, as long as it took at times. Grin on my face pretty much the whole time any time I played it. HYPED AS FUCK for the HD remake for the Wii U

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - I'M STILLLLLLLLLLLLLLL IN A DREEEEEEEEEEEEAM! SNAKE EATEEEEEEEEEER -ahem...Brilliant stealth game, with all the usual Kojima brilliance. And obviously DAT MAIN THEME!

The Walking Dead - Best story in a game. Also, closest I've ever come to those manly tears.

[sub] Keep that hair short, Clem [/sub]

Persona 4 - By far and away my favourite JRPG, helped by a great story, cast and soundtrack too. Even if I couldn't get it out of my head that Kanji = Snow. Curse you, Troy Baker!

Whoatemysupper

Aug 20, 2010
In absolutely no order:
1. Total War Series (all of them, is that cheating?)
2. Fallout: New Vegas
3. Skyrim
4. Oblivion
5. Journey
6. Civilization V
7. Mount & Blade: Warband
8. Mass Effect 2
9. Age of Empires 2
10. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

We'll see if I add Bioshock: Infinite and The Last of Us once I play them.

Also if I didn't do my number one, it'd be:

1. Medieval II Total War w/Stainless Steel
2. Rome Total War w/Europa Barbarorum
3. Napoleon Total War w/Darthmod
4. Empire Total War w/Darthmod
5. Total War: Shogun II, The Fall of the Samurai
6. Fallout: New Vegas w/ tons of mods
7. Total War: Shogun II
8. Civilization V
9. Journey
10. Mount & Blade: Warband w/Prophesy of Pendor

That last one is in order.
Also sorry to the Morrowind fans, but I got into TES too late for that and it is somewhat unplayable now (I have given it a try).

Edited because I forgot Mount & Blade

silentNate

Apr 1, 2013
10. Alan Wake / Tomb Raider 2013 Plot, action and gameplay; couldn't choose between the two.

9. Halo In terms of smooth movement and gameplay it is a gaming classic. Could have gone with Doom but Halo will always have a place in my heart!

8. Half Life II Wanted to avoid putting this on my list just because it seems such an obvious choice (that and Portal II) but lets face it, it's just the best FPS

7. Micro Machines As racing games go this PS1 classic was just the most fun multiplayer!

6. Worms Okay just to explain; I've wasted so many hours on the various versions that is deserves it's place on the list. Simple stupid fun!

5. Resident Evil Great atmosphere, great gameplay and decent plot... still love the dogs leaping through the window to get you!

4. The Binding of Isaac My current obsession, such a great platform shooter! Really want the Steam badge! :eek:

3. Tomb Raider 1996 It never got better than this, best designed levels EVER!

2. Civilisation IV Just the best strategy game EVER!!!

1. Elite You can't beat the first game you played!!

Felt almost too guilty to post this as I know there are so many great games that failed to make the list! :(

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
#1 slot is ranked highest

10. Deadpool - I played AND finished a game that was NOT a JRPG and actually had fun.
9. .hack//:Infection - first PS2 JRPG that I completed
8. Final Fantasy XII - I spent 128+ hours of fun on this
7. Mana Khemia: Student Alliance - loved the characters and the alchemy
6. Pokemon Soul Silver - I like all of the main series except for Diamond/Pearl/Platinum but this makes the cut because it improved a lot of gripes and allowed for a lot more trading
5. The World Ends With You - I love the story and the characters along with the music and art direction choices that were so integral to this game
4. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep - for Aqua, because she is the only female Kingdom Hearts character I love
3. Persona 3 (in all versions) - my first ATLUS title, loved it so much I bought it and its remakes 4x
2. Persona 4 (in all versions) - improved on Persona 3's mechanics and looks and I bought a Vita just to play the portable remake, P4Golden
1. Okami - Adam Sessler said I wouldn't regret it; and I didn't. This is a game that I love for its art direction and style, its mechanics even though I hate platforming and was somewhat wary of real-time battling, it remains the ONLY game I've gotten 100% completion in, and most importantly the story and its characters. Its memory lives on in Okami HD.

Ulvenkai

Apr 2, 2009
I know OP said favourite games, but I find it a little easier to just lump series together.

10. Beyond Good & Evil
9. Gothic 1/2/3
8. Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga (but notable mention for Divine & Beyond Divinity)
7. Fallout 1/2/New Vegas
6. The Witcher 1/2
5. Baldur's Gate 1/2
4. Deus Ex / Human Revolution
3. Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
2. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
1. Planescape: Torment