Your Top Ten Favorite Video Games

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Not in any sort of order because I don't feel like staring at the computer scene forever. :D

1. Mega Man 2- Everything about that game was just awesome to me growing up, and it's still fun to play. The bosses were challenging enough to where you didn't want to quit and never felt like they were unfair.

2. Super Mario Bros. 3- It's practically my favorite Mario game of all time.

3. Diablo II- I've played that game more times than I'd care to admit, but it never got old for me. How I managed to get really good grades in high school is beyond me because of how many hours I put into that game, and how many characters I've created for new builds.

4. Pokemon Blue/Red- I have no idea what the deal with that game is, but it's just so damn addicting.

5. Pokemon Silver/Gold/Crystal- I really enjoyed the new Pokemon in that game, and I liked the towns there.

6. Silent Hill 3- It's my favorite game out of the series and the music is amazing. It was the only time I've ever played a game where I was the same age and gender as the protagonist, so that was a plus for me. I've gone on and on about that game numerous times, so I will spare you all the details. :D

7. Assassin's Creed II- I'm a sucker for the Renaissance era, so a game taking place there where I can read about the people, places, and events there was a no brainer for me. Again, the music is one of my favorite things about that game.

8. God of War: Chains of Olympus- It's a great little game for the PSP where the combat didn't suffer at all, in my opinion. The fighting was still great and I never felt like I was getting killed by cheap shots. Also, getting a costume for Kratos to be the Spud of War just made me laugh.

9. Borderlands- That game really got my loot whoring itch going. Diablo with guns? Yes please. Lilith was fun to play as, and is so OP it's stupidly, ridiculously fun. :D

[sub][sub]I haven't finished the second one yet, but I have a feeling that it will replace that. Maybe when I stop being lazy I will get back to it. >.>[/sub][/sub]

10. Space Channel 5- It's weird, quirky and I loved it to pieces. How can you not love a game about a space reporter that grooves? :D

Kelzhas

Nov 9, 2012
1. The Witcher 2
2. The Walking Dead
3. The Last of Us
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Alan Wake
6. Mass Effect
7. Red Dead Redemption
8. Dota 2
9. Mafia 2
10. Assassins Creed (all except for Revelations)

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
I'm gonna have a bit of an issue with this...

So I've decided to make two lists of 5.

I descending order...
5.Pokemon Conquest
4.Civilization V
3.Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2.Legend of Zelda: Windwaker
1.Dragon Age: Origins

In descending order...
5.Civilization V (SHUT UP!)
4.Skull Girls
3.Super Smash Bros Brawl
2.League of Legends
1.Pokemon.. Red and Green to X and Y.

silentNate

Apr 1, 2013
I really wanted to like Civ V, bought it on disc and took two weeks off work to enjoy it... no Hot Seat!!! :(

OldKingClancy

Jun 2, 2011
Right, not sure how in order this is but I'll give it a go.

1: Red Dead Redemption
2: GTA: San Andreas
3: Fallout: New Vegas
4: Infamous 2
5: The Walking Dead
6: Spyro 2: Gateway To Glimmer
7: God of War 2
8: Batman Arkham City
9: Saints Row 2
10: Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

If you can't tell I'm a sucker for sandbox games

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Hey, now, I do indeed read other people's lists. I find it interesting to see differing opinions, also it helps me think back on games they mention and helps me to figure out my own. No need to be a bunch of Debbie Downers up in heya.

In no particular order.

1. Metro 2033 (I quite enjoy Last Light as well)
2. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
3. Mixed bag of pretty much any proper Pokemon handheld game.
4. Yoshi's Island.
5. Kingdom Hearts (1, I guess, though I'd throw two in there as well with it)
6. .Hack://G.U. (I'm gonna count all three volumes as one massive game, k? K.)
7. Mass Effect 2.
8. Dragon's Dogma.
9. Half-Life 2.
10. Halo 3 (Those MP Memories, man...)

These were chosen in regards to the amount of sheer enjoyment I feel I've gotten from them. For instance, I do greatly enjoy Dark Souls, but I also recall at least half of my playtime being spent respawning or being frustrated.

the_great_cessation

Nov 29, 2011
For the sake of of avoiding repetition, I'm going to try to stick to one game per series for the titles that this applies to on this list (for no other reason that its safe to assume if I enjoyed one title in a series enough to list it here I'm likely to enjoy the rest of the series to an almost equal degree...)

1. Twilight Princess / Ocarina of Time : Nostalgia. Simple as that. I was obsessed with The Legend of Zelda to an embarrassing degree growing up and while I could muse on what it was about this series that was so special to an 8-14 year old version of myself, I feel as if no one is interested in reading a god damn novel so I'll try to keep it as brief as possible. Ocarina of Time was the game that established this childhood obsession. This was due largely to its sheer creativity and the way in which it inspired my own imaginative side through its colorful characters, excellent world and lore-building, intricate dungeon design and free-form play style (for its time). I spent literally years of my childhood exploring the land of Hyrule and getting lost in its locations and lore (an honor that can also be applied to A Link to the Past, Majora's Mask and Wind Waker although to a lesser degree).

Twilight Princess then can be seen to represent my enthusiasm for that series at a fever pitch. The unveiling of it in 2004 blew my fragile 13 year old mind and would be the subject of much longing for the final years of my childhood. Most kids have a story of some movie, cartoon, book or game they got overly excited for - Twilight Princess was that piece of fiction for me (well, that and Pokemon Gold and Silver). The final product perfectly embodied the traits I admired so greatly in Ocarina of Time as a child. The sense of adventure, imaginative world, creative characters, etc, were all there and realized as perfectly as they possibly could be. Unlike other things I loved so deeply in my childhood the quality of Zelda's core design (coupled with its narrative subtext) has allowed it to age gracefully. These two games sort of symbolize my childhood and the sort of things I valued when I was young (imagination, heroism, adventure, etc) and as a result will always be some of the most treasured experiences I will have not only with games but fiction more broadly. I apologize for the eulogizing.

With that said, I don't mean to diminish the impact of the games on the rest of the list which are a bit more conducesive to my current tastes

2. Shadow of the Colossus : A beautiful game with a haunting atmosphere, moody art direction and a highly emotive score - Shadow of Colossus is, to me, the perfection of what video game should aspire to be. Add to this an interesting and shocking post-modern story about the nature of free will that blends meta-narration with gameplay that at its core gets the blood pumping at its sheer intensity and you have a title which perfectly appeals to what I consider important in a video game.

3. The Last of Us : While very recent, I am fully assured that this stands as one of the most perfectly made games I have played to date. Every thing in this game is made with .purpose The main appeal of this game is the sheer quality of writing and narrative depth found in its story - making it as much a moving character drama as it is an intense surivival-horror-stealth game. The maturity and elegance in which it tackles its core themes sets a new high for the medium of video games with the gameplay informing the narrative and vice versa. Never have I seen a game in which both aspects were so holistically implemented and built up upon. The oppressive and violent atmosphere stays tonally consitant throughout both and reveal a work wholly dependent on both aspects for its greatness. The Last of Us is a landmark in interactive entertainment, one of the finest "road stories" told to date, a condemnation and celebration of humanist ideals and one of the best designed and satisfying games I have ever played. An absolute classic in every sense of the word.

4. Beyond Good and Evil : While this games has quite a few flaws, I find it so charming and imaginative that it is a title better than the sum of its parts. This can be owed largely to the phenomenal world building found in this title. The sci-fantasy world of Hyllis is one of the few video game fantasies which is derivative of nothing. A completely unique interactive space in which the player is meant to immerse themselves in. It was also one of the first games I ever played with a strong emphasis on true three-dimensional characters and narrative subtext. It also didn't hurt that the blend of adventure, stealth, vehicular exploration and photography made for a game that was highly creative and rarely boring. The only downside for me is that damn cliff hanger ending I've been waiting almost 10 years now to get some closure on...

5. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 : This game is pure butter. Smooth controls and an excellent trick system made this one of my most played games of the early aughts. Likewise, the licensed soundtrack was fantastic and perfectly fit the mood of the game. The game holds up even to this day and is, in my opinion, one of the most enjoyable pure gameplay experiences to this day. While this could easily be any of the Pro Skaters or Underground titles, I went with 2 due to how it revolutionized the series and for how much time I personally sunk into it.

6. Psychonauts : One of my biggest passions is humor. My favorite film is a comedy. My favorite televesion series is also a comedy. Likewise, my favorite novel of all time is a social satire. However, few games really get comedy. Tim Schafer however gets comedy. While I could easily list any of his games , its Psychonauts that has resonated with me the strongest. While the clever writing and quirky characters are a big part of appeal, what I will always remember Psychonauts for is the way in which it perfected the 3D platformer with its creative and memorable level design. It also doesn't hurt that there is a clever reference to the author of my previously mentioned favorite novel of all time in the game.

(Kudos to anyone able to both catch the reference and also figure out my favorite novel as a result).

7. L.A. Noire : I'm a sucker for 1950s Noir. I love it. I love the music. I love the atmosphere. I love the character archetypes. This game is a great send up to that era of story telling while also doing a damn good job in presenting an interesting and engaging noir story of its own. I found its creative approach to game design a breath of fresh air in a AAA-market focused on over the top gunplay or stat managing. Its reliance on subtle and intellegent mystery solving was engaging and actually a lot of fun. I also admire the game for being another great example of a title that seamlessly blends story telling and game-playing into one holistic and immersive experience.

8. Mother 3 : The best JRPG ever made. Mother 3 is a game with a lot of heart and charm. The tale of Lucas and Claus is one brimming with genuine humor, sadness and humanity. It also has one of the most interesting battle systems I have ever seen in a turn based game with a large musical influence (which appeals to the music fan in me). Its really a shame Nintendo hasn't localised this yet as its easily one of the finest games they have ever made.

9. Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee : An intelligently designed and highly imaginative adventure/puzzler with a great story and memorable character and a nice level of difficulty. I always loved the Oddworld games for the great puzzles and the way they stimulate your brain. While all the Oddworld titles are of the highest quality, I chose the original for how daring and innovative it was for its time while also having possibly the best atmosphere of any game in the series.

10. Heavy Rain : While notably cheesy, I really admire this game for trying to take gaming in new directions through its focus on emotion instead of adrenaline - creating an experience that is "immersive" without necessarily being "fun". While the story is dripping with melodrama, I would be lying if I said I didn't find myself completely immersed in the experience and geniunely affected by and caring for the cast of characters. However, I can't really speak much on Heavy Rain without veering into spolier territory so I'll leave my summary there...

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
1. Ninja Gaiden Black
2. Diablo 2
3. Halo 3
4. Warcraft 3
5. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
6. Final Fantasy 7
7. Super Mario 64
8. Vice City(that soundtrack <3)
9. Call of Duty 4
10. Sonic 2

I like a lot more but I will follow the OP.

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
10. Silent Hill 2
9. Metal Gear Solid 3
8. Shadow of the Colossus
7. Minecraft
6. System Shock 2
5. Resident Evil 4
4. Deus Ex
3. Mother 3
2. Katawa Shoujo
1. Half-Life 2

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
It's always good to re-evaluate one's personal list of favorite games. Haven't given an active thought about it for awhile, might as well do it now.

1. Bioshock

2. Persona 4

3. Pokemon (any of them really, but White if I HAVE to choose)

4. Kingdom Hearts

5. Super Smash Bros Brawl

6. Super Mario Galaxy

7. Final Fantasy X

8. Katamari Damacy

9. Fallout: New Vegas

10. Starcraft

Hmm... half of my list is made up of RPGs. Guess I know what my favorite genre is, huh?

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Whenever I make these lists I get a few certain answers immediately but then I run out of ideas and start naming random stuff that I happen to like and don't necessarily think that highly of. So I'll see how many definites I can think of and then just end the list there. Also, unordered, because who wants to choose between two masterpieces when you can have both?

Secret of Mana: This game made me a gamer. I mean this is the game that made me passionate about games. As it turned out, there were three big games from Square during that time (the other two being FF6 and Chrono Trigger), and this was the only one that came to Europe. If I'd played either of the other two at the time then maybe they would be on this list (they're damn good games I'll admit). But either way, I still think Secret of Mana is better. It's the better game in terms of gameplay, and that's what I value above everything else.

Borderlands/Borderlands 2: I'll put them together because I can't decide which is my favourite, and they're both kind of similar. Technically the second is better in almost every way, I'll give you that. But there was something about the loot system in the first that I prefered (and no, not just that the drop rates were better). Can't quite put my finger on why. Anyway, I love these games because they do randomised loot better than anything else. Randomised content can only deal with stats; you can't procedurally generate new mechanics. In the more traditional turn based (or pseudo turn based) combat systems, stats are entirely passive things. In a full action FPS combat system, stats can be more active; accuracy or reload speed, say. In other words, the Borderlands games make randomised loot more of an active and mechanical thing, whereas other similar games can only ever give you statistical upgrades. Of all the randomised loot games I've played, only in the Borderlands games do I have to try a weapon out before I decide whether or not I like it.

Megaman X: A great example of how technology can create better gameplay. The old 8 bit Megaman games were all fine and dandy, but Megaman X blows them away in gameplay terms. New tech doesn't just mean the games look prettier. It meant you could move faster, and controls could be more responsive. Just look at the new features they added: dashing and wall jumping. Both of them all about movement. I happen to really like movement as a gameplay feature, probably because I played games like this in the past. These days I'm seeing things like Tribes: Ascend and Firefall, and I can't help but think back to Megaman X for that first taste of that speed addiction.

Skyrim: I say this over Morrowind and Oblivion despite having played both of them. Skyrim is the technically better game in a lot of ways. But of all things, it's the progression system that most sways me. I'm kind of a power gamer, in that I don't like to create a character that's sub-optimal in some way. I like to put a little bit of research in to how I build a character. But I hate power-levelling. The whole point of TES games is that you go out and explore, and do whatever tasks come your way. In the previous games you were constantly in fear of losing stat points unless you periodically went back to town to spam cantrips at your feet. Oh look, I'm one point from levelling, I'd better go back to town and spam RMB at a brick wall; look I'm RP'ing. Skyrim was the first TES game I played that let me take on content as and when I felt like taking it on. It has the most freedom of the TES games because of that.

Final Fantasy Tactics: Better than every other FF game IMO (I happen to think FF6/3 is phenominal, but it's not one of my games, in that I didn't play it at the time, y'know?). I loved the customisation aspect. I loved that when you'd mastered a job you still gained all sorts of benefits when moving to another job. I love how every other person you speak to has a different idea of what's OP in this game (for me it's Ninjas with Monk skills + Martial Arts, but I bet you've all got your own OP combos).

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night: Most important game in history for me, because it's the game that proved that I was right. The 32 bit era saw all the old genres from platformers to beat-em-ups moving towards 3D. I thought this was wrong. I relished the idea of new genres emerging, but I intensely disliked the idea that older 2D genres weren't viable anymore because they wouldn't sell. I thought that was bollocks. So without any marketing, this tiny little 2D platformer from Konami was left out to fend for itself. And what happened? Through word of mouth alone, it eventually became a massive hit. I say word of mouth alone, I mean through word of mouth and the fact that the game was fucking brilliant. Another triumph for gameplay.

Alright that's six. I'm certain I've responded to topics like this in the past and I'm reasonably sure I posted those same six games, but I couldn't tell you what the others were. Possible contenders: FF6 (best storytelling, and probably the best game overall of all the FF games other than FFT), Chrono Trigger (like FF6, if I'd played it at the time it'd be one of my favourite games, but it's still an obviously great game), Star Ocean (still prefer the first, don't know why everybody has a hard on for the second personally), Front Mission: Gun Hazard (great example of non-trivial controls and movement in an otherwise quite simple RPG), FF7 (first "real" FF game I played, and I still love it for many reasons), Suikoden (first "JRPG" I played if you discount ARPGs, I remember my brother had to explain the combat system to me even though I'd played games like Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Illusion of Gaia etc.), Xenogears (need to play this one again, because I loved it at the time and I don't remember anything about it), Neverwinter Nights (loved the whole character creation/customisation thing), World of Warcraft (the MMO I've spent most time on, and the one I still think is the best designed despite it's aging tech), DDO (my second most prolific MMO, and the game which I still think has the best character creation system), Minecraft (I made some amazing things in this game, things that amazed me, and that's a great thing for a game to do). I've probably forgotten something important. Sorry.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
lol I reading through the list and my list NOBODY at all has got. its as If I live on a different planet :(

Xerxesrogue

Mar 31, 2010
In no particular order:

System Shock 2
Dear Esther
Dota 2
Silent Hill 2
Portal
Half Life series
Dark Souls
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
The Darkness
Bioshock

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
10. Dragon Age 2. I was disappointed in DA:O overall, but I still think DA2 is a funny game and Hawke is hilarious. The first time I played it I burst out laughing at the start when people just died right and left. The rest of the game was kind of the same for me, fun to play and made me laugh.

9. The Witcher 2. I thought the first witcher was dull and didn't finish it, but the second one was an improvement on pretty much everything.

8. Alice Madness Returns. I loved the first game, and wasn't sure what to expect from this one other than more platforming. I loved the older Alice, and still think she's the most attractive female character in any game I've ever played. I liked the story, and enjoyed the platforming.

7. Persona 4. I honestly thought the school and every day life parts of the game was much more entertaining than the actual dungeons and battles. I also really liked the characters, their shadows and their psyche manifesting in the form of different dungeons. Unique and pretty great.

6. Hitman Blood Money. I bought this game more than once, for different consoles. I've completed it about ten times or more on different difficulties. It was my first Hitman game, and I loved the freedom and different solutions to the assassinations.

5. Suikoden V. It's one of the few games that has made me cry more than once. It's also one of the few games I've replayed from the start after putting many hours into it, just to get the best end. It doesn't just have regular JRPG battles, but also strategy and duels. There's barely any grinding. It's freaking brilliant.

4. Guild Wars 2. I remember thinking that I shouldn't bother buying it, since I normally can't stand MMORPGs. It wasn't worth my money. I had some friends that were going to play it though. I preordered it in the end. Almost a year later, and I don't think any of the friends I was going to play with still plays. However, it is the only game I've ever played for more than a 1000+ hours. I've had fun times with new people, and Anet keeps releasing free updates. There's not another game that's as priceworthy as GW2, despite its flaws.

3. Saints Row 2. So much fun. I bought the first game, and kind of felt like it was an alright game, but not worth my money. SR2 was a huge improvement. I loved being able to play as a female for the first time in a great, addictive sandbox game that also had an engaging story. I didn't regret buying the first game anymore, after playing this for many hours.

2. Mass Effect 2. I really love the Mass Effect trilogy, for its large cast of interesting characters and probably the best female protagonist in a game. If I had to pick one game though, I'd go with the second one.

1. Ratchet & Clank. My two favourite genres are still RPGs and platform games. I've never been a fan of Mario though. Spyro was a great trilogy, but I think Ratchet & Clank was more magical, because you had a whole galaxy to explore and save. I also liked both of the main characters, and the humour. I couldn't get many games back when I got this one as a gift, so I replayed it a lot, and did the same with the two following games.

Spinhorse

Aug 2, 2010
There are a lot of games I know would come on this list if only I had a Playstation or Xbox, but my whole life i've been playing strictly on PC and Nintendo before they were shit. Nonetheless, here goes:

1. Pokemon (yellow-gold-ruby-fire red- platinum)

I just happen to really like pokemon. My happiest memories as a kid are having my cousin from Panamá visit and lend me his Pokemon games for the GBC

2. The Golden Sun series

Also, much of my love for this games is out of nostalgia. Great music though.

3. Deus Ex

Put on your trenchcoat, etc.

4. TES: Morrowind

Sufficently immersive and deep to make me not mind shoddy combat and the usual Bethesda bugs

5. Dota (2)

It's weird putting a multiplayer only game on this list, but this is the game I have played for the longest and that merits some kind of recognition

6. Tales of Symphonia

The co-op combat on an RPG is the greates idea anyone could have. I had so much fun beating this with friends. Sequel sucked major balls tho.

7. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

8. The GBA Fire Emblems

9. Ragnarok Online

10. Requsite indie: Braid

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I make no apologies.

1. Mirror's Edge (It's essentially the perfect combination of elements. I am NOT looking forward to the new Mirror's Edge.)
2. .flow (Horror done right, and the endless subtexts make for fun fan speculation.)
3. Day of the Tentacle (The best adventure game ever, bar none. And it's as hilarious as games get.)
4. Myst Online (Such a cool idea done so very, very right.)
5. Myst III (I love Brad Dourif playing the psycho. As in, I LOOOOOOOOVE Brad Dourif playing the psycho.)
6. Sam and Max Hit the Road (The only comedy adventure game to approach Day of the Tentacle, too bad it's so obtuse.)
7. Pharaoh (I have no idea why this is so much more fun than SimCity, but dangit, it works for me so well.)
8. Tomb Raider III (Best Tomb Raider, with the most unique ideas and cool locales and hardest puzzles.)
9. Rayman 2 (An utter triumph in atmosphere, this game goes from wondrous to terrifying to thrilling in quick succession.)
10. Skyrim (Because the modding scene is just that good.)

puff ball

Mar 14, 2011
alright ill do another of these and as a kicker afterward im gonna look through my old posts for past list and edit this post to tell you the differences i would do it before but it would effect my decision.

1)LoZ link to the past
2)elder scrolls oblivion
3)dragon age origins
4)fire emblem path of radiance
5)LoZ OoT
6)Team fortress 2
7)minecraft
8)recetear an item shop tale
9)mount and blade
10)pokemon blue i guess

edit ok so i forgot resident evil 4, fable 1, and fallout 3. while the top 6 are definitely top ten the next 7 to 10 are kinda interchangeable but almost certainly replace Pokemon with resident evil.