Your video game hot take(s) thread

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Alright, one per IP:

-The darker tone of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin adds to the story, it is not "edgy."

-Aliens: Colonial Marines is a good game. Aliens: Isolation isn't

-Red Alert 3 is the best Red Alert game

-Diablo III is the best Diablo game

-Doom 3 is my favourite Doom game

-Fire Emblem: Awakening saved the franchise, but changed it forever, and in some ways, for the worse

-The Gears of War series has a good narrative, with a good world, and good characters

-Halo 5 is a good game, and succeeded in taking the series in an interesting direction (that Infinite seems set to reverse)

-Heroes of the Storm is the best MOBA

-Killzone is a grossly underrated franchise, both in narrative and gameplay

-A Link to the Past is overrated - even in the context of 2D Zeldas, A Link Between Worlds surpassed it in every way

-Metroid: Other M isn't a bad game, nor is it the worst Metroid game. It gets far too much flak.

-Mirror's Edge isn't some underappreciated masterpiece - its gameplay is lacking, and its storytelling is terrible

-The best aspects of Perfect Dark's narrative come from the corporate/cyberpunk side of things, not the alien side

-Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is overrated

-Resident Evil VII is the weakest mainline RE game, and whatever its strengths, it's basically a REINO - Resident Evil in name only. Also, RE3>RE2.

-People who say "Sonic was never good" or "Sonic has never had a good game post STH3&K" or "Sonic has never worked in 3D or some variant don't have any idea what they're talking about, and are mostly on a bandwagon

-The Legend of Spyro games are underappreciated - at the very least, they've got a better story than the original series

-StarCraft II is better than StarCraft I in every single way

-Super Mario is a franchise that's had stymied character development, and while I'm not a feminist, it's frankly embarassing that Peach is still a damsel in distress when characters like Zelda developed into actual characters over the last three decades

Could probably think of more, but meh.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
The COD series tends to be very good and the only reason it gets hate is because familiarity breeds contempt and its one of the most familiar series out there.
I'll add that Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare is the best CoD game I've played, but then, I've only played, like, three of them, so...

Reactions: gorfias

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'll add that Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare is the best CoD game I've played, but then, I've only played, like, three of them, so...
I'm not sure I would say best, I still think that COD4 tops it, but it is certainly top 3 for me.

Reactions: gorfias

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The reason so many sex games star children should be obvious and Sony's done nothing wrong

Skyward Sword codifying reincarnation in The Legend of Zelda and putting them all on to a timeline stagnated all future potential of the franchise until its retconned

Destiny 2 has the best world-building in the business

Reactions: gorfias and Gyrobot

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Skyward Sword codifying reincarnation in The Legend of Zelda and putting them all on to a timeline stagnated all future potential of the franchise until its retconned
I don't think SS can be 'blamed' for timeline stuff - the timeline was established in Hyrule Historia, and even before then, there were clearly, ahem, 'links' between games before then.

But can you elaborate how it 'stagnated potential?' I mean, even with the games sharing continuity (a good thing IMO), it hasn't stopped Nintendo from doing whatever, however, whenever when it comes to the narrative.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Red Dead Redemption 2 has an amazing game world, great writing and characters, and is an absolute fucking slog to play. I have never had less fun with a game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
-The darker tone of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin adds to the story, it is not "edgy."
Who complained about that? Last I check, the story no one had a problem with.

• Beat'em ups are not as repetitive as many "professional" critics or anti-brawler fans have you believe. It's just that they don't bother to explore the games mechanics or blaze through the game, button mashing their way through. All without much thought and care. There are brawlers that are button mashers, yes, but that pretty much died down the early to mid 2000s.
  • Ninja Gaiden as a whole is a frustrating series that is not fun to play. Especially the reboot games with Ninja Gaiden II being the stand out example.
  • DmC nearly killed the Devil May Cry series. Thank Christ, Capcom finally got their head out of their asses and actually focused on what makes them Capcom. Embracing their Japanese roots. Now I wish they did the same for Dead Rising and Lost Planet.
  • Dead Rising 3 is the best game in the DR series.
  • Street Fighter IV & V should have been sequels, and not prequels to III, that further develop the younger generation. Thankfully, V closes a ton of lose ends for the majority of the cast, so whenever VI does get announced, it actually be a legit sequel that goes into the future and does constantly rely on Ryu, Ken, and Chun-Li.
  • Most Sonic games are good and a lot of the other hot takes are mostly history revisionist bullshit, because wants to be poplular by bashing the franchise when a majority have not played that many games. Doing all of this just to gain easy street cred. Sonic Unleashed and Colors I am still not big on either though.
  • Sonic Generations is better than Sonic Mania.
  • Metal Gear Rising is the best Metal Gear game.
  • Vanquish and Bulletstorm are the best shooters of 7th generation for doing something to really stand out and try. The latter is the best Duke Nukem game ever made. I am glad both games are getting the recognition they finally deserve.
  • Nintendo Switch Online sucks and I refuse to cough up $20.
  • Turtles in Time (SNES) is not the best beat'em up ever made. One of the best, yes, but I blame Screw Attack (Stuttering Craig) for constantly selling that fantasy when they there are so many 2D brawlers that have better game play. I love the TinT, but there are better brawlers that deserve that title. Streets of Rage 2 or 4, Undercover Cops, Violent Storm, Guardian Heroes, and Alien vs. Predator.
  • From Software can you go back to making games that are of the non-Dark Soul variety. Remember when you use to make those? We've got enough Soul style games already!
  • Evil Within 2 is the best modern Resident Evil game. EW2>>>>>>>>RE4, RE5, RE6, and especially RE7.
  • The GameCube I enjoyed more than og XBOX. With that said, XBOX has an amazing library of games.
  • Timesplitters was an awesome series that was gone too soon. Finally found it's footing with the 3rd and final entry.
  • I never found the Tomb Raider games that exciting. Both original and remake.
  • Rayman Legends is the best 2d platformer of 7th generation and kills most of the platformers on 8th gen. Fuck you, Ubisoft for pushing the release date back to when GTAV released with 2 weeks! Because that will improve your fucking sales!
  • Strider (2014) and Shadow Complex are the best Metroidvania's ever made.
  • Castlevania was at it's best going arcade style (Castlevania I, III, & Bloodlines for example) and not constantly drawing from the Symphony of the Night well. It's why I never held much interest in most of the GBA and DS titles
  • The Mishima blood feud storyline always sucked and got worse after 3. No one cares anymore. The storyline went on far too long and overshadowed other characters stories and either ended them ati-climatically or dropped them without warning. I know it's a fighting game series, but this was ridicilous by that standard. I honestly have no interest for Tekken 8's story, even though they actually killed off Hieachi this time for good!
  • Open World/Sandbox/GTA games are not the pinnacle of game design nor are they the perfect or ultimate game. They can be just as lazy and unintuitive as any other game not made with care or only made with mediocrity in mind. I got sick of the genre after Saints Row 2 and GTA IV.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I don't think SS can be 'blamed' for timeline stuff - the timeline was established in Hyrule Historia, and even before then, there were clearly, ahem, 'links' between games before then.

But can you elaborate how it 'stagnated potential?' I mean, even with the games sharing continuity (a good thing IMO), it hasn't stopped Nintendo from doing whatever, however, whenever when it comes to the narrative.
Ganon doesn't reincarnate. He's just Demise forever. No potentials for alternate characterization, no flipping the script, if Ganon's in a game you already know what's up. He's even more static than:
Zelda became an explicit bloodline reincarnation. You see Zelda in a game, you already know what's up. Link's an explicit reincarnation. Not just some fuck-off kid that usually comes out of nowhere. No potential for anything else.

I'd say it's the same stagnation we give Mario shit about, but the Mario games occasionally let you play as Peach.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
The COD series tends to be very good and the only reason it gets hate is because familiarity breeds contempt and its one of the most familiar series out there.
It gets the same kind of hate that Minecraft, Mortal Kombat, Overwatch, WoW, DoTA did. Because of their popularity, the rest of the games have to suffer.

When CoD got big, if a game wasn't a first person shooter... no one cared. Everyone wanted the CoD money so everyone tried to make a CoD. It lead to a dilution of a gaming era because everyone was trying to be that.

Minecraft made earth shattering amounts of money from nothing. Nothing. And EVERYONE had to have crafting after that. Building or Crafting. And it gets tiring. It makes sense in some places (Fallout 4's crafting system was good and deserved to stay on is my Hot Take, because where else would you be trying to scrounge stuff up to survive)

Mortal Kombat showed that you don't need to be an artist. Just pay some Martial Artists for a few weeks time, animate some magic, and make it super violent. Does anyone remember the Live Action Fighter Era?

Overwatch gave birth to the term Hero Shooter... Only it didn't, because Team Fortress Mod made that shit years ago. And I loved it. But Overwatch blew up and... can we even name the number of Hero shooters that fizzled out like a defective firework?

WoW and DoTA. I need to say nothing else.

I'm not the biggest first person shooter fan. But I get why gamers would love to have their niche in the world not affected because investors just want more CoD level of sales.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Overwatch gave birth to the term Hero Shooter... Only it didn't, because Team Fortress Mod made that shit years ago. And I loved it. But Overwatch blew up and... can we even name the number of Hero shooters that fizzled out like a defective firework?
Anyone remember Brink? I knew a guy who played and was disappointment, because he really bought in to the hype.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
  • The GameCube I enjoyed more than og XBOX. With that said, XBOX has an amazing library of games.
The Gamecube was a cracking console, the console that I discovered my love of JRPG's on and it had a great library of other games. I still say WWE: Day of Reckoning 2 was the best wrestling game ever made (No Mercy was good but the glitch that regularly wiped your progress ruined it for me). It hurts my heart to this day that my launch day Gamecube died and could not be saved.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Too bad Epic encourage kids to bully other kids for having default skins. Peer pressuring them in to spending from their parents credit and debit cards without their permission or lack of understanding the concept of spending money. So one toxicity was funneled out for an even worst one. Good progress you motherfuckers!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Too bad Epic encourage kids to bully other kids for having default skins. Peer pressuring them in to spending from their parents credit and debit cards without their permission or lack of understanding the concept of spending money. So one toxicity was funneled out for an even worst one. Good progress you motherfuckers!
On one hand I'm inclined to think thats not true and over exaugurated but on the other, when I played league back in the day I would assume someone with a skin was better at playing that character. I kinda do that in Smite also but Smite has a mastery number you see on loading.