Your White House Petition is Bad and You Should Feel Bad

Akexi

May 15, 2008
Sylveria said:
Akexi said:
Well at least the petition has been pulled now. Seriously though, it is sickening that people are actually doing this.
Yep, a dozen people supported a dumb petition. Be sickened. Shun all of humanity. Life is not worth living as long as these people roam free.

Meanwhile, there's at least 10x as many people in the world engaging in pedophilic activities as I write this, but an ill-conceived petition about an average hack-and-slash game is what sickens you.
Ok, attitude, not necessary. I'm just making a statement on what I feel on the subject, not here saying this is worse thing in existence as you're assuming.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Honestly the whole petition is bull and while I really dislike and hate the new game I'm not going to buy it but feel disappointed that I've been left in the dust for what's "new and hip".

Also come on people the new Dante has the foulest of mouths which is totally what we want the COD kids getting their hands on now don't we?.

Also remember the Deadspace ad for moms and then the Dante's inferno fiasco?.

And now the new Dante "fuck you" parts?.

Still the industry is taking a few steps back in terms of being grown up just as long as we can actually see that happening.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Obama may cry...

But yeah, retarded suggestions from people who know nothing about anything are going to sprout when it's open petition night. Nothing that can be done about that.

As for the game, some criticisms seem overblown. Dante was a smartass before, and now he's a smartass anno 2013. It probably suck if you played the series for the plot or the difficulty though.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
If there was a ten hour loop of Dante and Succubus shouting 'Fuck you!' at one another I would love to spam this R.J.'s email with it.

Atary77

Feb 27, 2008
@Sylveria I will say that I apologize if it sounds like I'm condemning those who had any complaints about the game. What I mean to say is people have every right to be upset about how the new DMC has turned out, there are legitimate complaints to be had. As much as I enjoy the game play I can understand why it wouldn't be a good idea to recommend it to everyone. The thing is though if you really don't like something, don't buy it, return it for a refund, or maybe write a letter to the developer or publisher.

I know letter writing may sound redundant to most people but you'd be surprised how much it can make an impact at times. The bottom line being there's a right way and a wrong way to show that you disapprove of a game and doing childish things like asking the government to pull it off shelves is the WRONG way of going about it. If you have a complaint that's fine, just make sure your complaint is in the right direction to those who are responsible NOT the friggen government!

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Are... you... fucking... kidding me?
And this is why people elected Obama, because they think he'll just give them whatever they want if they whine about it enough and loud enough.
Side note: I'm venting and won't rise to any baiting posts so don't waste your time.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
SkarKrow said:
Gordon Freemonty said:
I don't get the hate for DmC. Its getting 4/4.5 reviews.

I hate the gamer community sometimes.

(Except you lovely escapist folks, pls dont kill me pls pls)
It got a 9/10 from Jimothy Sterling even!

I fucking loved DmC, anybody who's actually played the game should realise it's the Dante we know and love in a new skin, the story is also a hell of a lot more coherent than it ever has been. My only gripe was the complete lack of manual lock-on, which I managed fine without until the very last few stages of the game and the difficulties above Nephilim, where prioritising targets and switching between them was a much bigger issue.

Edit: Really. I loved it. On par with DMC3. It's in my top ten games of all time now, if they make a sequel (they will if it sells, it sets up well for a re-interpretation of 3 in my opinion) and add a manual lock on and maybe a couple of extra weapons I'll lap it up.
I'm going to go out on a limb here, I don't own the game. I played the Demo of it. I did however watch the games cutscenes to get an idea of the story. Gameplay wise, the game is ok, though the need to kill enimies with specific weapons seems to be redundan.

Story wise, "coherent" doesn't equal good. Dante was always a bit of a punk, this new Dante however is a Douche. The old Dante was a demon hunter, ate pizza, road motor cycles, rocked out on demonic weapons, impromptu stage theatrical, shrugging of sword impalement, gigantic demon flurting, nut job.New Dante, crude, willing to follow orders and be duped from a plot twist most people saw the first minute they saw Virgel. This new Dante is just an ass, and not in the fun way too. He spouts fuck and shit more often then a sailor with turrets, he seems to have no goals for himself beyond what his brother convinces him to do.

The plot too takes itself way too seriously. The previous installments, while maybe not as "choheren" were still entertaining. Simplistic even. This pushes it's politcal agenda so hard down our throats. And it's really ham fisted too " Conservatives and corperations are evil, the only way to be free is to rebel" because that message hadn't been attemted in media before, and people often mistake anarchy for liberation, with no regards to the casualties on either side. Yes, the demons are bad, an the media is brain washing you. The sky is blue, and this game's story is trying too hard, with poor writing. I can point out the obvious too.

I'd also like to point out two things. One, Vergil too has gone through a really blatent character change from being ambiguously antagonistic, but in his depths sympathetic, to downright evil. Demon baby or not, he shoots an aborts it through it's mother's womb, allows her to relize this, and proceeds to kill her. Wow, hard to even watch that scene.
Also I'd like to point out, their whole plan involves revealing the "truth" so people are now in direct danger of being killed by demons, instead of being manipulate by them, turing a hole city into ruin... yea, great job "freeing" them and saving them. We going to proceed to save the rain forrest after burning it down? I perfered it when the demons were just outright in the streets and didn't need some Matrix level of bullshit to push a convoluted plot.

will still not deny the gameplay is still fun. But I personally wouldn't buy it. People think it's only gameplay that makes it worth buying. It's a good part, but I like an interesting story to go with it. I even think the writing for the Metal Gear Solid games is more tolerable then this garbage, and those games are primarily cutscenes. If I bought this game, and had to trudge through this story, I would have been insulted and felt my money wasted.

I perfer old Dante, not because I'm nostaltic, not because I'm a weeaboo, he represented when the game didn't take itself seriously, when it was about a man, kicking demon ass, and didn't need an agenda outside of "demon asses need kicking, and I've got the only boot"

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
I'm not certain this is a problem with gamers as much as it is a problem with "We the People" petition system. It would seem there is no moderator or reviewer. The fact that "We should totally build a deathstar" got so many online signatures that it required a response is a perfect example of how the people who made the online petition system had virtually no understanding of the scope and size of the internet.

Morbira

Nov 28, 2009
As an American, I am more disgusted by the fact that this trend of writing letters to the President like he's fucking Santa Claus is becoming more and more common. I can't believe how retarded we've become in such a short amount of time that we've begun to treat the presidency as an elected monarchy.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
I'm pretty sure that petition had no more than a few dozen signatures (even after getting posted around enough places to garner the attention of gaming media) and whoever wrote it had their tongue firmly entrenched in their cheek.

This just isn't fucking news.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
Refreshing to see this was pulled from the website! Honestly, trends like this and the Mass Effect 3 one is making me want to distance myself from the gaming community at large.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
what an idiot.

if you want something to go away just ignore it. that's what I'm doing :D no need to get the incompetent government in on it when they can't even agree on a way to fix the budget.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
dragongit said:

The abortion thing didn't really bother me too much, what bothered me more was that Virgil used a gun to do it, that's very un-Virgil, DMC3 Virgil would have just run her through and cut the soldiers to ribbons. Or how the demon faeatus is murdered by a single 5.56 round but not by the previous boss fight where you spend a good few minutes stabbing the hell out of it, I found it all relatively inoffensive, and I kind of saw Virgil's dickery coming. It's hardly, as I saw somebody here describe it, a "360 noscope abortion". I can see how the scene could be upsetting and even offensive. Personally it didn't bother me, had the baby been carried by a human woman and not the crazy demon *****, and I hadn't had to fight the demon baby, then I may have been put off by it.

I'd rather Virgil had been handled in a more badass way, but he's been well setup as a villain for a follow up.

I kind of like how it's more serious than it used to be, and I enjoyed the story, I'm not saying there are parts I disliked, but mostly I enjoyed it. And the demo is not a great representative of the writing or story as a whole, especially not the boss battle included, I would advise you to play the game through before judging it.

As for using specific weapon types for specific enemies, it works fairly well and the enemy waves play well to it, requiring you to switch about and manage different kinds of enemy on the fly with quick reflexes and thinking, though it would be easier if it had manual lock-on.

I can see where you're coming from and I understand your concerns, but I do advise playing it through before writing it off. It's more mature and the story is more well developed and well thought out than previous entries. But it is a reboot, had they taken such liberties without it being a reboot, then I'd have had a lot more problems. If I judge it with other entries in the series in mind it loses out, but it's a good reboot in a series that, as I recall, was criticized horribly for it's 4th entry, mostly by the people who now hate it for actually evolving.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
I'm gonna go in the record and say: I prefer new Dante, he's cool and funny and... What? I prefer the new game to the original which I thought was just okay... Anybody? Really, no one can agree? I'm not welcome here anymore am I? I'll see myself out...

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
SkarKrow said:
dragongit said:

The abortion thing didn't really bother me too much, what bothered me more was that Virgil used a gun to do it, that's very un-Virgil, DMC3 Virgil would have just run her through and cut the soldiers to ribbons. Or how the demon faeatus is murdered by a single 5.56 round but not by the previous boss fight where you spend a good few minutes stabbing the hell out of it, I found it all relatively inoffensive, and I kind of saw Virgil's dickery coming. It's hardly, as I saw somebody here describe it, a "360 noscope abortion". I can see how the scene could be upsetting and even offensive. Personally it didn't bother me, had the baby been carried by a human woman and not the crazy demon *****, and I hadn't had to fight the demon baby, then I may have been put off by it.

I'd rather Virgil had been handled in a more badass way, but he's been well setup as a villain for a follow up.

I kind of like how it's more serious than it used to be, and I enjoyed the story, I'm not saying there are parts I disliked, but mostly I enjoyed it. And the demo is not a great representative of the writing or story as a whole, especially not the boss battle included, I would advise you to play the game through before judging it.

As for using specific weapon types for specific enemies, it works fairly well and the enemy waves play well to it, requiring you to switch about and manage different kinds of enemy on the fly with quick reflexes and thinking, though it would be easier if it had manual lock-on.

I can see where you're coming from and I understand your concerns, but I do advise playing it through before writing it off. It's more mature and the story is more well developed and well thought out than previous entries. But it is a reboot, had they taken such liberties without it being a reboot, then I'd have had a lot more problems. If I judge it with other entries in the series in mind it loses out, but it's a good reboot in a series that, as I recall, was criticized horribly for it's 4th entry, mostly by the people who now hate it for actually evolving.
Meh, if it comes down to proving myself wrong, and saving 60 bucks, I'll keep the cash for a game I'm more interested about. I've tried the demo, watched the full story online, and this is my relative conclusion. I've even made a pass not to buy Dishonored,when I would really like to. Just due to the fact my income sucks. Maybe if DMC drops down to 20 bucks or less in the next few years, I could pick it up. Until then I'll let it slide.

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
SkarKrow said:
dragongit said:

It didn't evolve. No where close. This is the worst combat in the series by a scary margin. It would be superb by the standards of Heavenly Sword, but for a DMC game, the combat is horrific. This doesn't even count the forced weapon switching which is bad at the best of times and downright forced at the worst.

They have the game setup at my local GameStop for people to try. I waited (on Normal) for the time it took for the closest enemy to strike me, without me doing anything. It took EIGHT FUCKING SECONDS. NO JOKE. In that time, you would be dead on Normal in any of the others. Three of those were spent telegraphing the attack. I understand wanting to dumb it down for the masses, but that is purely insulting. Also:

If you can't tell me what is wrong with that image, I think we're done.
I may not know how the dmc games work but to go from a f to triple sss in a single kill isn't how it supose to work right?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Jeez, talk about a waste of time. I don't get the need for a reboot, so I'm not gonna buy it. They'll make a petition for anything, as the "Build a Death star petition demonstrates. At least the rejection for that one was funny.
What's the status of the Judge Dredd petition?