You're probably the only fan of this.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
JagermanXcell said:
I used to and still love this old show that once aired on cartoon network called "Time Squad".

About a genius kid taken from his life at a crappy orphanage by literally C3PO and buff idiot Hulk sized stereotype manguy voiced by the same fellow who voiced Hercule from DBZ.
Where they go on back in time adventures to fix wrongs but instead usually make things worse like accidentally not brining the genius kid along, resulting in Benjamin Franklin making the light bulb instead of Thomas Edison...

... take my word for it, it's much funnier than it sounds............... could explain why I alone like it. >_>
I remember this show. I would catch an episode here or there and liked it, but never got super into it. Haven't seen much of it in the years since, but I do recall it every once in a while.

WhiteFangofWar said:
Animorphs. While everyone else read Sweet Valley High or Goosebumps, I was reading Animorphs. Strange, since while I'm sure it wasn't the intended selling point, it had more blood and gore on average than any other teen book series, and matured with its audience utilizing far fewer end-chapter jump scares than Goosebumps.

I do recall someone once comparing it negatively to Power Rangers which was also big in my youth, but I don't feel that to be a fair comparison. These 'teens with attitude' are outgunned by about ten thousand to one by the aliens, their wise mentor is dead eaten alive by chapter 5 of book 1 and never revives, they can bleed and lose limbs (and so can everyone else, frequently), and one of the overarching themes is how insanely stressful such a life really is, particularly for their leader.
Absolutely loved these books. It was a brilliant deconstruction of itself all the way through, and I'm one of the few people you will see defend the ending (That is, the ending itself, which I felt fit the series' deconstructive nature quite well. Not so much the author's explanation for why she ended it that way, which was rather condescending, rude, and outright hostile.).

OT, the game "Sigma Star Saga" for the GameBoy Advance. It was buggy, unbalanced, and kind of a mess, but it was unique (A shoot-em-up/RPG with a story about questioning loyalties and "shades of gray" morality amidst a sci-fi war with aliens? Sign me up!). Outside of a single article in Nintendo Power and a page on TV Tropes, I have never seen anyone talk about this game, not back when it came out, nor since then.

Solbasa

May 3, 2014
There are a few things like that for me.

As for things that I've never heard discussed by anyone ever, I'd have to go with Infinite Space. It's a DS game from that 2010 that, if not for a review in Nintendo Power (God rest its soul), would've flown completely under my radar and I'd be basically 100% sure that only I have ever played it. Sure, it's kind of a niche game, with somewhat overcomplicated gameplay mechanics, and it may be freakishly long (I haven't finished it yet and there's no end in sight, but I haven't been that dedicated) but it's still kind of special to me.

As for things that nobody else liked, I have to go with Shadow the Hedgehog and Star Fox Adventures. Not the best games in their respective series (definitely not Shadow), but I'll always be rather fond of them.

WhiteWolfe

Mar 15, 2011
It's really hard to say because most of the stuff I'm into no one I know in real life would know about, but the internet is probably chock full of people who know/like it. I would have said Dynasty Warriors but Jim Fucking Sterling son has my back on that.

The tv miniseries Merlin's Apprentice was cool. Did anyone else watch that? It had Sam Neill and some girl who I'm pretty sure showed me short hair and armor could look hot.

EDIT: For words

Bob Thenecromancer

Nov 10, 2012
Destroyermen: I have yet to find another person who has read it and I'm incredibly confused as to why its not more popular as its literally the most /k/ thing in existence.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
RedDeadFred said:
Hmmmm..... If I'm the only fan of something, it's probably something I've created and haven't showed anyone.

Behold my poem about the Taco Man:

His hot sauce is a high-grade acid,
His expression always seems quite placid,
He attacks his foes with scalding beef,
You'll beg for death, he'll grant relief,
So run run run as fast as you can,
You'll never escape from the Taco Man.

Sorry.

Also, I have shown this to two of my friends and I wouldn't say they were fans of it, so we're still good on that front.

Sweet taco sauce that was the most beautiful poem I have ever read, it made me want a taco... But i'm irish so they're hard to get so I decided to make tortillas instead, thank you taco-man, you are my favourite hero.

On topic:

I'M probably the only person who has ever heard of this very mediocre game, but it's one of my most played games of all time... no reason why, I just loved it for how fun it was, despite everyone thinking its bad, which it is, but I like it for some reason... it's essentially a hack and slash beat em up with fun quick time events that either hurt the enemy if you succeed or give you a tiny bit of damage if you fail. It was damn fun! Loved it @_@

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
I might be the only fan of Pablo Hasél in my area. He's got a good number of fans in Spain, although even there he is far from mainstream. He isn't very popular because his lyrics include such gems as, "Comunista como Mercader ejecutando la rata de Trotski", but I quite like him. Good beat, good flow, good rhyme scheme, and while he is a bit vitriolic I personally agree with most of his political views, so for me he not only is a technically excellent rapper but one whose lyrics I really like. If you're not a communist and you speak Spanish his lyrics are likely going to be offensive to you, but if you don't speak Spanish its just good sounding music to have on.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Zanzarah: The Hidden Portal. I ain't never seen nobody else playing that German game before. See also: R/C Helicopter: Indoor Flight Simulation. The music in that one was utterly mentalistic.

feeback06

Sep 14, 2010
I have seen a lot of people praise it on this website, so this may be cheating. But when I'm out and about in the "real world" and I mention the Persona series. I usually just get stares in return.

BOOM headshot65

Jul 7, 2011
Just going to go with some of my favorites because my list of things in the "AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO KNOWS ABOUT THIS?!" catagory is way too long.

Made in Japan, this game lets you build your own warships and fight against the navy of an evil empire that has taken over your homeland and intends to dominate the world in an Alternate WW2 timeline (Your nation is in the Vladivostok Pennisula and founded by Vikings, Germany never went Nazi, Imperial Japan is a peaceful nation, WW1 was a mostly Naval War, etc.). This game is HILARIOUSLY long. I have well over 200 hours in it and I still only have about 60% completion, 2 campaigns (though to be fair, it doesnt tell you HOW To get the other campaigns, and I only just recently figured out), and only just got modern warships and laser/particle cannons. As for the warships themselves, there are only 3 limits: 100 total parts, within the tonnage limit for that particular hull, and your imagination. Its entirely possible to build battleships with dozens of high-caliber cannons and enough machine guns to fill the sky with a literal wall of lead, if you choose. Highly recommend, will keep playing.

Also as a Sidenote, this applies to Koei as a compeny in general. There is very little I have ever seen from them that I DIDNT like, but its hard to find here in the US/In English

After 2008, the US elects the most unpopular president in history, who immediately starts abusing power to make sure no else can run against him, eventually leading to him getting rid of the 22nd Amendment and being "elected" (rigging) to a third term. Needless to say, Domestic Terrorist detonate a tactical nuke at the inauguration ceremony and kill almost the entire US government. In order to maintain global stability, the EU elects to send a multinational task force to DC to try and re-establish the government. However, shortly after this, angered at DC's betrayel of the American people, and enraged at a foreign army on US soil, the United states breaks into 6 nations along political and geographical lines (The New Texas Republic, The New Confederacy, Great Plains Federation, Californian Commonwealth, New England Alliance, and Pacifica), each using stock US military equipment+their own special unit (The Federation, for example, gets a custom mortar tank with short range anti-air missiles on it, while Pacifica gets a tank with twin high-caliber gatling guns) Choose from one of these new nations or the EU, and then fight to reunite the United States under your rule.

A German Power Metal Band, sound like old style metal al a Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, but the think I like is that all of their songs are connected into a story about the Iron Savior, an old war machine built by Atlantis that has been wandering space for centuries, developed sentience, and believes humanity to be its enemies. Though a series of events, the Savior eventually goes on to become the guardian of humanity, and helps them to develop into a more advanced society just like Atlantis.
Some samples:
Coming Home [https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0_cVxEiMdzk]
Protect the Law [https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WgiomDEzyl0]
Running Riot [https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jaaX0DBH6MY] (which I will sometimes play while doing games)

You saw that right. Its a moe anime about girls who go to schools (made on giant aircraft carriers)/live in a world where the most popular sport.........is fighting eachother with WW2 era tanks (Called "Tankerey"). And other than the main characters school of Oarai academy, every school has a theme that they follow. A British school with Matildas lead by a Churchill, An American School with copious amounts of Shermans of all varients, a Russian school with many T-34s and KV's who are the current champions, and the Championship favorites, A school with nothing but late-war German Tanks, al a the Tiger, King Tiger, Jagdpather, and a secret trump card which I will not spoil but leads to an awesome battle. Oarai however has a random hodge-podge of tanks from all over the world (Japanese Type 89, French Char B-1, American M3 Lee, German Stug III, and the main characters in a Panzer Mk. IV) and the whole anime is about them banding together to try and win the championship for the first time ever.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
chocolate pickles said:
Marter said:
There are others out there (we call them <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Scorpibros>Scorpibros), but I don't think anyone is as big a fan of <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.375364>The Scorpion King 3: Battle for Redemption as I am.
...oh dear god. As if one wasn't bad enough...
I really liked the first movie, it felt like a live action of The Mark of Kri honestly. xD Especially the part when the Rock is in the cave, stealthily picking off the soldiers one by one.

Never saw the others.

OT: Nobody I know likes 8mm. Hell nobody I know ever saw 8mm, but I love that movie. It was so dark and grim, but so viscerally satisfying in how it gets resolved. There was one part in the film where I actually stood up and cheered in the theater.

I'm a huge fan of Babylon 5, and nobody I know is a huge fan of it. I've had some of my friends watch my DVD collection, but they didn't get into it like I did.

cubikill

Apr 9, 2009
Dryzdale said:
Italian Symphonic/Power Metal band Ancient Bards; I've never met anyone who had heard of them, or any of their songs, until I mentioned the band.
Haha, I love Ancient Bards. I face when I saw this post i was going to use them as my topic! Oh well Im just glad some one else know how awesome they are.

As for what i like that no one else has heard of, the bands, Caladan Brood and Saor. Both are Atmospheric Black Metal and are amazing.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
JagermanXcell said:
I used to and still love this old show that once aired on cartoon network called "Time Squad".

About a genius kid taken from his life at a crappy orphanage by literally C3PO and buff idiot Hulk sized stereotype manguy voiced by the same fellow who voiced Hercule from DBZ.
Where they go on back in time adventures to fix wrongs but instead usually make things worse like accidentally not brining the genius kid along, resulting in Benjamin Franklin making the light bulb instead of Thomas Edison...

... take my word for it, it's much funnier than it sounds............... could explain why I alone like it. >_>
I remember that show! You are not alone on this one. Loved Time Squad. They just don't make cartoons like they used to!

I seem to be the only one who likes my soundtracks, Dragonheart, Bloodsport, Last Samurai, Inception, Kickboxer, etc.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I find it pretty hard to talk about music without coming off as a massive hipster (which certainly isn't helped by my penchant for flannel shirts). Actually I just have a lot of time on my hands, a free Spotify account and a love of heavy music. If that makes me a hipster then I suppose I'm guilty. None of my friends share my love of the suldgier or mathier stuff I listen to like Baroness or Rolo Tomassi, and I'm fairly certain that no one this side of the Atlantic shares my total adoration for He Is Legend.

I absolutely, hand on heart, believe this is one of the greatest songs ever put to record. Skip to around 5:20 for the most epic (using that word in its truest sense) part, but it's worth listening to the whole song. It's a fucking beautiful climax to a twisting, chaotic album- I don't think many bands around today take you on that sort of journey. I do know that I sound like a pretentious sack of dicks, but damn... It's so fucking incredible that I can't help it.

I know these guys have a bit of a cult following, but A) They all seem to be in America and B) They all seem to prefer the older, more metalcore type stuff. Personally I love their newer, stranger, more psychedelic rock albums.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
There's this book called Five Spice Street by Can Xue. Never met anybody else who knew about it.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Vocaloids singing Classical music, I can confirm me and a few dozen other people on Youtube are the only fans.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I'm the only one offline I know of that loves Freelancer. Before I joined the Escapist, I knew nobody else who was a megafan of the Sirius Sector. I seem to be one of the few people to have a Kusari tattoo walking around though...

AliasBot

Jun 14, 2013
Grendich said:
Pescetarian said:
Jasper Fforde's proto-Hunger Games novel Shades of Grey. Or, as even the author calls it these days, "No, not 50 Shades of Grey".
Speaking of Jasper Fforde, i really like the Thursday Next series and from what ive read, it's quite well received and all. But i've never met someone who heard about it and it almost never gets mentioned unless you search specifically for it.
Everything Jasper Fforde does is great, really. Shades of Grey (if I ever had anyone to talk about it with I'd probably just end up going Game of Thrones with it and calling the series Road to High Saffron after the first book...which is easy enough to do, because there still isn't a second book yet, which makes me sad), Thursday Next, Last Dragonslayer, the Nursery Crime series (amusingly woven into the Thursday Next books as a meta bit of advertising - I think that was in Well of Lost Plots?), all quality stuff. I think of Fforde as the worthy heir to Douglas Adams's particular style of humor/writing...except somehow the announcement of succession never got broadcast, because nobody has ever heard of him. The only people I know that know of Jasper Fforde are my parents (who introduced me to the Thursday Next books) and the one friend I got to read Shades of Grey. It's a pity, because he's probably my single favorite author (the aforementioned Douglas Adams is the only real competitor for that spot). He deserves more notoriety.

...I came in here with Fforde and Worm as my two top points, and both of them have already been mentioned and discussed (although to be fair, I can't exactly hold a discussion with anyone outside of the internet about them, so they still work), so...hm. I guess there's the fact that I might be the only straight male that likes Carmilla (the web series based on the novella, not the novella itself). It's a really good show with a clever gimmick (how much it does with one camera, one set, and virtually no special effects budget), a cool setting and story (it's basically Night Vale University, with a lot of weirdness that most of the characters treat as perfectly normal), and realistic, well-written, and well-acted characters (and romances)...but I'm loathe to try to introduce it to anyone I know because I feel like they'll only think I like it because "lol, lesbians."

Soleca

Sep 5, 2014
Happyninja42 said:
I'm a huge fan of Babylon 5, and nobody I know is a huge fan of it. I've had some of my friends watch my DVD collection, but they didn't get into it like I did.
Why all of this ?

Pride? Duty ?

You screened it well but you must of known they wouldn't understand.

So why do it ?

Also I'm calling Blakes 7 as something pretty much only I love.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
babinro said:
Columbo

At least this is what best applies when I thought of this question. I should clarify though as this is a show people clearly enjoy. I'm in my mid-30's and a LOVE the show. I've loved it since my teenage years and I can still watch repeat episodes today. In fact, it's easily among my top 5 television shows of all time.

I consider this unusual for my age group.
Most fans of Columbo tend to be a generation older.
34 and a huge Columbo fan, as is my hubby.... even own some Peter Falk Columbo art