Youtube has sided with Hate

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Everyone causes abuse because of power. "Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority. There is no worse heresy than that the office sanctifies the holder of it."

You're falling into the same trap that has killed the souls of those before you. Power causes abuse by its very nature. A good person may cause less abuse, and a bad person cause more, but abuse they will still bring about.
I think there's a certain issue that power means having to make decisions, and decisions frequently mean some gain and others lose even when the greater good is followed; plus that decisions occur within a framework of wider existing advantages and disadvantages, such that decisions not intended to be harmful may be so. In short, power means making decisions that harm people. I am not sure "harm" is the same as "abuse", however. Abuse seems to represent a sort of misuse or neglect, which is easier to avoid than harm.

One might also note Adam Smith: "This disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect persons of poor and mean condition, though necessary both to establish and to maintain the distinction of ranks and the order of society, is, at the same time, the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments."

Prime amongst this, of course, is the disposition of the rich and powerful to admire themselves. It reminds me of Trump telling a journalist "Don't talk to me that — I'm the president of the United States. Don't ever talk to the president that way." To which my answer is inclined to be "Why not?" Either don't speak to anyone that way, or you should be able speak to anyone that way. As you say, an office should not sanctify its holder, especially in the mind of its holder.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It reminds me of Trump telling a journalist "Don't talk to me that — I'm the president of the United States. Don't ever talk to the president that way." To which my answer is inclined to be "Why not?" Either don't speak to anyone that way, or you should be able speak to anyone that way. As you say, an office should not sanctify its holder, especially in the mind of its holder.
Because a biatch-in-a-boxstand always like to talk, criticize, and put down others, but never themselves. Whenever they say anything negative about themselves, they'll either try to dress it up as some kind of profound virtue, or make pathetic excuses for their bad actions.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Youtube's alt-right pipeline in 2015, and 2016 was pretty bad, and they still pull stuff like this.

Edit: Duplicate post, looks like someone beat me to it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Youtube is a really good example of why the tech industry is broken.

It was founded by three people. It didn't make any money, but it did attract a lot of users, so a year after it launched they sold it to Google for over a billion dollars. It still didn't make money. It has never made money. But it has a lot of people use it, so it could hypothetically make someone money at some point, and thus is worth billions.

The tech industry is entirely built on this ridiculous model of creating a service, making that service popular by offering generous conditions to its users, then selling it for enormous sums of money despite the fact it's never been proven to be able to make any kind of return on that investment. I think Google is finally realising that buying Youtube was a terrible idea, and now they just want everyone to leave so they can turn it into a bad streaming service built around a handful of massive internet celebrities.

Of course, once they do that noone will use it, so the entire thing is still pointless, but again it's a broken industry that doesn't work.
Youtube doesn't need to make a profit directly to be of value to alphabet. For one thing it's a loss leader, and guides users to more valuable alphabet services -- including its most important function, data harvesting. The other is youtube has a monopolistic hold over user-generated streaming content; YouTube stifles competition by mere existence, like Twitter and Facebook.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
For one thing it's a loss leader...
I'm not sure this is true any more, as its revenues have tripled in the last 5 years. As anyone who has experienced the massive increase of advertising on it over the last few years may surmise.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
I'm not sure this is true any more, as its revenues have tripled in the last 5 years. As anyone who has experienced the massive increase of advertising on it over the last few years may surmise.
The question isn't whether youtube itself is profitable as a platform; its whether it needs to be in order to achieve alphabet's corporate strategic goals.

Additionally, we need to ask ourselves from which part of alphabet's monetization model is this new revenue coming. I very, very highly doubt they're able to multiply proceeds as dramatically as they have by advertising alone. The annual "adpocalypses" and mass demonetization of major channels would be a good place to start...

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
YouTube is no longer accepting adblocker.

Monsters. :(