YouTube Issued Copyright Claims Against Miracle of Sound

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
YouTube Issued Copyright Claims Against Miracle of Sound

The Escapist's Gavin "Miracle of Sound" Dunne woke up one morning to discover he'd been plagiarizing content from... Gav "Miracle of Sound" Dunne.

YouTube has been in the headlines a lot this past week, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/8565-Copyright-War>and not exactly under the best of circumstances. If you're just tuning in, YouTube recently made a policy change allowing copyright holders to claim videos using gameplay footage, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130557-Devs-May-Be-Waiving-Their-Rights-By-Allowing-YouTube-Gameplay-Video>quickly creating a legal slippery slope. To make matters worse, most of these claims aren't processed by human beings, but by bots that monitor YouTube channels for infringing content. Naturally, many law-abiding content creators have been caught in the crossfire, including our own <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/miracle-of-sound>Gavin "Miracle of Sound" Dunne. The Escapist's resident musician was hit with 7 copyright claims in a single day, plus losses in revenue, all for songs that he personally created.

"Basically, I awoke the other day to find my YouTube channel riddled with third party claims from INDMUSIC - the irony being they were being claimed on my behalf for using my own songs which I wrote and performed," Dunne told The Escapist. "It took me 4 emails to get a response and over a day to get the claims removed, during which time INDMUSIC was taking 20% of my ad revenue from those videos without my consent for even claiming them. I had to 'whitelist' my YouTube channel in TuneCore's YouTube monetization policy - which I and all the other musicians [listed here] did not ever opt into."

This isn't a case of a third-party organization stealing Dunne's copyright, nor does it have anything to do with fair use of gameplay footage. INDMUSIC actually has a publishing relationship with TuneCore, the company that distributes Dunne's songs. <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/18/5224022/meet-the-music-companies-behind-many-of-those-youtube-copyright-claims>TuneCore authorized INDMUSIC to issue copyright notices on behalf of songwriters, but no one told artists like Dunne what was happening. He never found out until his channel, and the channels of fans authorized to use his music, came under fire from multiple copyright claims.

"Now I am being flooded with complaints by fans who used my songs (with my permission) in their gaming videos," Dunne continued, "and have to email each one individually to TuneCore to get the claims removed. One YouTube user even got over 100 claims on a song I made for his channel. And when you do email [TuneCore], they don't even respond. I have had to chase back down the YouTube users to ask them if the claims have been removed. Sometimes they have, sometimes they have not. no reason is being given as to why."

While Dunne ultimately resolved the claims against his channel, the matter is far from settled. Hundreds of claims continue to be issued against authorized users of Dunne's work, and artists <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/8592-Copywrong>will probably continue to face the after effects of YouTube's policy change. In the end, Dunne understands why each company made these decisions, but adds that these claims ultimately hurt everyone.

"I think TuneCore has the artist's best interests at heart but their methods need massive changes," Dunne said. "People using our songs in lets plays/gaming videos is free advertising. I depend on this kind of word of mouth spread to popularize my music as I do not have the money for advertising and that kind of thing. They are trying to help us by collecting what we 'are owed', but they are doing more damage than help."

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
What fucking insanity is this? Okay this is PROOF that this automated system should only be used to check and it takes an ACTUAL person to oversee this shit. Absolute madness this.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
So technology and automation is supposed to solve problems and reduce costs, huh?

I don't think Google realizes yet that, even though it might be expensive, actual people would have better judgement and common sense in situations like this regardless how complex a content scanner can be coded.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Youtube copyright bullshit strikes again. God I wish they'd figure that shit out already.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Pitchforks! Torches and pitchforks! Get 'em here! Get 'em while they're hot!

(Come on, you know this is coming.)

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Hmm... I just realized I haven't bought his new album yet... I'm gonna go do that, to help make up for this. I suggest you all do the same.

http://miracleofsound.bandcamp.com/album/level-4

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Ok ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages ... Who has had the biggest fuck up? Microsoft with it's xbox 180 or Youtube with all your vids are belong to us? Vote now!

Seriously though, this shit is getting silly. You know that they will stick to there guns though 'cos nobody is competition, so they can implement what they like we have to swallow it. Just how many variations of youtube have there been and nobody has liked any of them ... at first and then we all get used to it, till they change it again.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Agayek said:
Youtube copyright bullshit strikes again. God I wish they'd figure that shit out already.
It's not YouTube's fault entirely. It's actually ancient copyright law that makes this such as clusterfuck. I know that not everyone who posts on YouTube has knowledge of international copyright law, which means the most harsh laws must apply to any international corporation, and Google is one.

Google handled it wrong, but it needs to be fixed before it can go back to being good.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
TheMadJack said:
Hey internet! We're still waiting for the next-gen YouTube! Get to it!
You're part of the internet, you can always begin the work! Let's start with a name.... I got it! UsTube!

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Yeah, this whole copyright thing on YouTube was ridiculous but when I saw Gav tweeting about this it went up to "complete fucking lunacy" levels of bullshit.

Equally stupid is the stuff like Terry Cavanagh's trailer that he himself made for his own game VVVVVV on his own YouTube channel being copyright claimed.

Hope that this kind of shit gets sorted out sooner rather than later (although I don't hold out much hope on that front when I saw YouTube's most recent response)

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I didn't even get an email for it, but just checked and my Sovngarde Song AMV got a claim. It doesn't affect me too much as I don't monetize my videos, but considering Gav himself (and many others) get claims for THEIR OWN CONTENT, I think that's as good a-proof as any to see that this system is broken and isn't helping anyone.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
FalloutJack said:
Pitchforks! Torches and pitchforks! Get 'em here! Get 'em while they're hot!

(Come on, you know this is coming.)
*takes pitchfork*

It was bad enough when random YouTubers were getting their videos falsely claimed or removed but this is personal, this is one of our own. We should all stand with Miracle of Sound and drive this monopoly out of town!

M920CAIN

May 24, 2011
Dr.Awkward said:
So technology and automation is supposed to solve problems and reduce costs, huh?

I don't think Google realizes yet that, even though it might be expensive, actual people would have better judgement and common sense in situations like this regardless how complex a content scanner can be coded.
No they wouldn't. People can be cruel too because they are partial to self gain. Automated versus people is not the issue. A mix of both is the issue. Where does the automated system ends and the human element comes in.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I dont really see the problem though, isnt he payed by The Escapist? The videos are still up, right? He just doesnt get money out of them, isnt that what it was like at the start except now he is working for The Escapist therefore getting paid by The Escapist?

Its not that I dont wish him to get payed (more well payed at least) but I dont think that just because the content is also uploaded on Youtube then it should get a cut out of it where in any other case that wouldnt happen (I dont know of any other place like Youtube that pays money for content creators).

Im not fond of Lets Players (they think that they should be payed for playing a game and talking at the same time while a shitload of people already did that free for fun) but this certainly isnt that case as he does sell his albums (content he created from scratch) and he does work for a particular website for that content.

EDIT: At least my understanding of how The Escapist used Youtube was to gather more viewers/fans for their own site (and get the money out of the ads on the site), not exactly to make money directly from Youtube

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
It's effecting game devs too:

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2013/12/18/indie-developers-rail-against-youtube-after-being-targeted-copyright-claims#.UrIXFLQudX8

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Ah yes, the broken copyright strike system at it's finest. This truly shows how broken the system is and I'm glad more people are now being more vocal about this.
I mean heck I got a Content ID for having silence in my video once, and by that I mean there was no game audio nor commentary in my video.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
This whole thing is starting to make me angry, and I don't even have a Youtube channel. This needs sorting right now, or I suggest we all migrate to another video sharing/streaming website.