YouTube Issued Copyright Claims Against Miracle of Sound

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Dr.Awkward said:
So technology and automation is supposed to solve problems and reduce costs, huh?
Nope, every single automatized system always means Skynet.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
shadowstriker86 said:
FalloutJack said:
Pitchforks! Torches and pitchforks! Get 'em here! Get 'em while they're hot!

(Come on, you know this is coming.)
You do know that bats, pipes and boston bashers would be WAY more effective? I mean granted torches will help to see and set them on fire....actually we can keep the torches lol
Nevah! Torches and pitchforks are TRADITION! Have intrinsic value and conveyed message when used!

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
(The fuck?? An ACTUAL JOURNALISM coming from Escapists??!)

I mean...

Youtube, you're a visionary.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Jesus, this makes me wish I could unsubscribe from Youtube AGAIN! They should be paying Gav damages for this or something, it's just inexcusable.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Call me cynical but I don't really believe that the company was all that aggrieved to be "accidently" claiming 20% of Mr Dunnes revenue at all, even though he never knew they had been given the rights to make claims "on his behalf". Funny how they don't really respond to the complaints in a timely manner either...

Vzzdak

May 7, 2010
Well, there really need to be significant financial penalties for corporations, so that incompetent activities are discouraged. Otherwise, stupid decisions are simply shrugged off.

We've seen stories where individuals are threatened with lawsuits for considerable sums for supposed copyright infringement, where the expectation is that people will be shocked into quick submission to avoid the "justice" system. Probably a minimum financial penalty for coporations should be in the range of $100-500,000 per infraction, enough to make someone in the rank-and-file understand that they're risking their job by being sloppy.

The CEOs seem to be raking in big cash running companies into the ground. Let's peg additional CEO penalty of 5% of that year's salary & bonuses, period, regardless of contractural arrangement for that CEO's financial compensation. In other words, someone goofs, that CEO feels it, pound for pound. Otherwise, running a large corporation is just a license to game the system and laugh at what they can get away with.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
Goodbye YouTube, and hello Vimeo!

Hello? *voice echoes around the website*
Hold on, I see something.. over there *points to the left* is a lack of monetization... over that way *points right* are a bunch of bandwidth caps. And right in front of me... the 13 people currently using Vimeo.

Right, that's why Youtube dominates.

ChaosReaver

Sep 4, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Pitchforks! Torches and pitchforks! Get 'em here! Get 'em while they're hot!

(Come on, you know this is coming.)
Put me down for 6 of each. *digs debit card out of his wallet*

On topic:

I was actually just having a discussion about this kind of thing with some friends today. I really feel that technology is being forced into situations where it doesn't necessarily improve the functionality. Like here, clearly a person would be better than an automated system.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Living_Brain said:

Hold on, I see something.. over there *points to the left* is a lack of monetization... over that way *points right* are a bunch of bandwidth caps. And right in front of me... the 13 people currently using Vimeo.

This is sadly why YouTube will get away with all this BS. Currently there isn't anyone who is willing or able to compete.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
This ain't fun and games, this is peoples livelihood youtube is messing up here.
What they're doing is fraud and slander on a massive scale and they should be hit with a class action lawsuit.

I wonder to whom the ad revenues of all those fake claims go.
Wouldn't it be ironic if it was google?

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
Youtube messed nothing up in this regard. Mr. Dunne obviously signed a contract which allowed Tunecore to police the copyrights on his behalf (otherwise he could simply go to google and dispute their right to claim copyright, instead of handling things through tunecore).

If you want to give away informal rights to your works you don't sign a contract which allows your publisher to chase copyright infringement on your behalf ... this was bound to happen sooner or later really, read your contracts people.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I wonder if Google is going to get sued collectively by some copyright holders for making life & work more difficult. They're probably going to win the next Worst Company in America though.

GAunderrated said:
Living_Brain said:

This is sadly why YouTube will get away with all this BS. Currently there isn't anyone who is willing or able to compete.
Blip is a popular alternative. The worst alternative is probably Veoh, who was pretty much already doing the exact same shit Youtube is doing now, but started years ago.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Pinky said:
If you want to give away informal rights to your works you don't sign a contract which allows your publisher to chase copyright infringement on your behalf ... this was bound to happen sooner or later really, read your contracts people.
People just love throwing that line around, don't they.

Tunecore changed the terms & conditions of the arrangement in 12/12/13 without telling any of the artists.

They amended the terms & conditions without the knowledge of us, their customers. So please, spare us all your 'read your contract' line.

http://dd.reddit.com/r/youtube/comments/1t1c1a/indmusic_is_ripping_musicians_off_wtunecore_and/

https://twitter.com/MPSouleye/status/413097274080653313

And when Youtube allows third parties to claim any video they like, without having to prove they have the rights? You bet your ass they messed up.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
And when Youtube allows third parties to claim any video they like, without having to prove they have the rights? You bet your ass they messed up.
Sadly whenever I see people making claims like "read your contract" or some stuff like that they've actually not created videos on YouTube and seen how bad this system is. >.>
I know what you're going through when it comes to YouTube's broken system Gav, I know all too well. >.>

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Diana Kingston-Gabai said:
Can't wait to hear the song this will surely inspire... :)
Gavin's got a pretty applicable one already, with a few little tweaks to the lyrics:

Agayek said:
Gezzer said:
You've got a point. While the definition of fair use could be better defined I also think some of the problem comes from how very valuable those copyrights are. We have a section of the economy where the buying and selling of both copyrights and patents are a big business, which really no longer benefits the originators. I think one of the reasons that fair use is so restricted and IP holders are so ruthless in their defense of their IPs is because of the high worth of those IPs in the marketplace. I think any reduction in the worth of those IPs for corporations without removing the ability of the originators to see good return for their efforts would go a long way to reduce this feeding frenzy like behavior where IP rights are concerned.
This much I don't disagree with. My point was more that someone owning a copyright wasn't really so much of a problem as how that copyright is applied. I may have misinterpreted your original post.

That said, there's a really easy fix to all the points you bring up: Make copyrights unsaleable. The copyright holder can still grant permission to other entities to use their copyright should they desire (and presumably for money) but the core license can not ever leave the ownership of the original creator. Thus, when the creator dies or the copyright expires, the copyright ceases to exist and the work in question enters the public domain.

This would immediately remove the constant fighting over IP ownership and, quite literally, make it impossible for companies to keep hoarding the stuff.
Great ideas, which we all know won't happen because there are far too many people making far too much money who have WAAAY too much influence in ol DC than they should have (nothing more than the average joe is what they SHOULD have) that will NEVER allow copyright laws to change in any way that won't benefit them even more.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
MorganL4 said:
So let me get this straight...

Gav's publisher issued a copyright claim on Gav's music, in order to prevent people from taking advantage of Gav's work. But they forgot to tell Gav, and so he got accused of copyright infringement for posting his own work online.... Did I read the story correctly?
Yeah that was pretty confusing to be honest. I couldnt even figure out if Gav had actually lost money on it, or if it goes to him through his label or whatever Tunecore is.

If he's lost money, others probably have to. Isnt that kind of thing grounds for a legal case...?

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
The only thing I'm wondering is what we can do about this... I mean, there are so many moving parts in this behemoth of a catastrophe, how can we make sure that these companies get screwed, but not the content creators?

This is quite the depressing situation we're in here.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
WTH, Google? I expected so much better from you. Are you feeling well? Do you need help or something?

You know I really can't believe this. Google runs a flawless, powerful, efficient web search engine every day with freaking style but when it comes to simple user-uploaded videos, they turn into dumbass-mcgee in special ed class.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
Jesus fucking christ, this youtube content ID program is an abomination. Gavin has become another victim to this endless automated clusterfuck of a program, which Google seems to give zero shits about.
Original content creators like the developer of VVVVVV and Johnathan Blow are being affected and it's their own content!

I've been reading from Youtubers like AngryJoe about how this system automatically copyright claims even though the companies gave the a-ok to the video content, and some are being hit by hit and run scammers. I've also been told by my friends who upload videos are losing 100% money to fraudulent claims. Youtube won't help!

This system is so broken and so exploitative, and the worse thing is Google/Youtube just doesn't care. As long as they get their share of the ad revenue from content creators they don't care who's being affected.

You dun goofed big time Google.