YouTuber Angry Joe Says He's Done Reviewing Nintendo Games

NoShoes

Aug 15, 2013
YouTuber Angry Joe Says He's Done Reviewing Nintendo Games

Due to their content-sharing policies, YouTuber Angry Joe is done with Nintendo.

With nearly 2 million subscribers on YouTube, Joe "Angry Joe" Vargas certainly has some weight to throw around. He's also apparently fed up with Nintendo's rigid policies on the sharing of their content online, specifically where it involves YouTubers, so much so that he's vowed to stop reviewing Nintendo titles for good.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/AngryJoeShow/status/584272715952992257]

After posting a Let's Play video of Mario Party 10, Angry Joe received a copyright infringement notice. Unlike other copyright infringement claims, Vargas states that "what's interesting here is that it's not matching on a particular song, it's just the whole...thing. Because there are Nintendo characters in it, the whole...thing is claimed." According to Angry Joe, he's spent over $900 on Nintendo-related products in order to produce his Let's Plays and video reviews, but "that's not enough for Nintendo. What's enough for Nintendo is also monetizing anytime you share your content with anybody else."

Nintendo recently launched a beta version of their Nintendo Creators Program (with a full launch in May of this year), and with it some strict guidelines on how Let's Play videos of Nintendo content could be shared. According to Polygon, the Nintendo Creators Program allows "YouTubers [to] still realize ad revenue under the program, [but] Nintendo takes a 40 percent cut of it." Another restriction? YouTubers in the Creators Program can only use approved games from this whitelist [https://r.ncp.nintendo.net/whitelist/], and Mario Party 10 is absent from said list.

You can watch Angry Joe's full video on his stance below.

How do you feel about Nintendo/Vargas situation?

Source: Angry Joe's Twitter [http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/4/8344341/angry-joe-nintendo-takedown-mario-party]

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
This really made it to the news? Getting a copyright strike was his own damn fault, he starts sobbing after not following the rules that he knew that was in effect. Either that or I underestimate Joe's PR.

His reaction makes his channel seem like Whining Joe.

Zipzip the Penguin

Feb 14, 2013
It's not just Joe either. If Nintendo keeps this shit up, they'll be missing their entire lower body from shooting themselves in the foot.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010

Even if Nintendo is in the wrong I still don't like Angry Joe.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
mad825 said:
This really made it to the news? Getting a copyright strike was his own damn fault, he starts sobbing after not following the rules that he knew that was in effect. Either that or I underestimate Joe's PR.

If you actually watch the video he points out at 9:50 that he was effectively testing the waters with Let's Play videos rather than spending thirty to sixty hours actually producing a proper review as he does for other games because he thought this might happen. The video linked in the OP is basically "yup, so you went and actually went through on those threats. Well, screw you, Nintendo".

He's not really surprised, he just thinks its bloody stupid. Much like Jim Sterling said in the video linked by RatGouf, although to my knowledge Jim never actually decided to try testing himself against their policies.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Lightspeaker said:
mad825 said:

If you actually watch the video he points out at 9:50 that he was effectively testing the waters with Let's Play videos rather than spending thirty to sixty hours actually producing a proper review as he does for other games because he thought this might happen. The video linked in the OP is basically "yup, so you went and actually went through on those threats. Well, screw you, Nintendo".

He's not really surprised, he just thinks its bloody stupid. Much like Jim Sterling said in the video linked by RatGouf, although to my knowledge Jim never actually decided to try testing himself against their policies.
This

Nintendo is really screwing themselves over by doing this.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Uploading the video on YouTube was very silly of Joe. Just because he has 2 million subscribers doesn't suddenly make him an exception. That doesn't mean I am defending Nintendo, their YouTube policy is just stupid, and there is nothing positive about it, but I don't really know what Joe was expecting.

That being said though, I completely understand why Joe doesn't want to make a Nintendo YouTube video again.

Quick question, though: Does this policy apply to review content too?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
What's funny is that Smosh Games just put out an Honest Trailer for Mario Party 10, and I sincerely doubt they are part of Nintendo's program. The videos is still up, I guess Nintendo doesn't have the balls to go up against people like Smosh Inc,

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
mad825 said:

When they last took down a video of his, it was an unedited private gameplay video of several hours. Nintendo claimed that it was because of the soundtrack.

This video, which was public, edited, and had no soundtrack in it to avoid repeating the same situation got taken down and this time no reason was given.

Nintendo can make up whatever ridiculous rules they want, and Joe can just ignore them and play games from companies who don't treat YouTubers like crap.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Nintendo frequently seems like a company run by old men, behind the times and convinced this whole "inter-nets" thing is a passing fad that needs to be stomped out, not invested in. See also: one of their big names be so shocked and wounded over people uploading the cutscenes from brawl that he swore the next game wouldn't have them, their continued refusal to institute a unified functional online identity like the competition has had for two generations, friend codes, ect. Good on Joe for boycotting this bullshit.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Joe thinking way too highly of himself. Furthermore, he never reviewed any Nintendo games. Period. He just put up lazy LP's. That is it. And let's not get into the fact that his fans donated money to him so he could buy a damn Wii U in the first place. Criminy, there is nothing more pathetic than watching a grown man throw a hissy fit.

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
Laggyteabag said:
Uploading the video on YouTube was very silly of Joe. Just because he has 2 million subscribers doesn't suddenly make him an exception. That doesn't mean I am defending Nintendo, their YouTube policy is just stupid, and there is nothing positive about it, but I don't really know what Joe was expecting.

That being said though, I completely understand why Joe doesn't want to make a YouTube video again.

Joe acknowledged in the video that it's Nintendo's right to do this. I think he's frustrated that, as a content creator; Nintendo is limiting his ability to create (and monetize) content for stupid reasons.

In truth, however, I don't think he made this video on his own behalf but as a tacit encouragement for other creators to shun Nintendo coverage because (A.) they're being dicks for no reason and (B.) the last thing we want is for other companies to start doing this too.

40% of revenue is an insane chunk to excise from Youtubers (particularly when the results of their coverage should mean more money for Nintendo anyway). If tubers only get to keep 60% of what they earn across all content (and that's BEFORE taxes), the games industry could conceivably strangle the independent commentator industry in its crib. I don't think any of us want that.

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
While I don't agree with Nintendo's business decisions concerning Youtube, and feel it would serve them better to let content creators make videos freely, I'm aware that they have a program in place to facilitate those who DO wish to make content. I'm quite sure that Angry Joe knows this as well, and uploaded the video anyways. To have it taken down was expected.

All his video rant has done is make me lose some of the respect I had for Joe, and I feel less inclined to watch his videos now. As far as I know, he wasn't doing Nintendo reviews before, and I won't miss them now either.

I *am* surprised that this is making news anywhere though. I don't remember his previous rants being published about like this, but perhaps I just missed those ones.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
RatGouf said:

Even if Nintendo is in the wrong I still don't like Angry Joe.
Yeah, I actually like Jim's stance on this, at least more than others.

I do sincerely think Nintendo is in the right for some of this as an unpopular opinion that might be.

Though I do wonder how certain channels like GameXplain and JWittz handles things like this.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
senordesol said:
Joe acknowledged in the video that it's Nintendo's right to do this. I think he's frustrated that, as a content creator; Nintendo is limiting his ability to create (and monetize) content for stupid reasons.

[...]

40% of revenue is an insane chunk to excise from Youtubers (particularly when the results of their coverage should mean more money for Nintendo anyway). If tubers only get to keep 60% of what they earn across all content (and that's BEFORE taxes), the games industry could conceivably strangle the independent commentator industry in its crib. I don't think any of us want that.
Actually, I don't think Nintendo has a right to monetize content like Angry Joe's. Admittedly, YouTube's policies are somewhat draconian, but Let's Plays fall pretty solidly under the umbrella of Fair Use. One of these days, someone with deep pockets will take on both Nintendo and YouTube on this issue and score a big win.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I don't think Nintendo understands how the internet works... or what Youtube is... or why Youtubers are the best advertising venue they could possibly get these days.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Nintendo being stupid and forgetting it's not 1987? What else is new?

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
senordesol said:
Laggyteabag said:

That being said though, I completely understand why Joe doesn't want to make a YouTube video again.

In truth, however, I don't think he made this video on his own behalf but as a tacit encouragement for other creators to shun Nintendo coverage because (A.) they're being dicks for no reason and (B.) the last thing we want is for other companies to start doing this too.

To put it another way youtubers are giving publishers millions of dollars of free advertising. A national network commercial in the US would cost Nintendo around $350,000 allowing LP's could save them money.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Trishbot said:
I don't think Nintendo understands how the internet works... or what Youtube is... or why Youtubers are the best advertising venue they could possibly get these days.
They don't. I'm sure their boardroom is filled with men 60+ who still think this is 1990.