YouTuber, Gbay99 had his video plagiarized by PC gaming

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA

Four years ago Gbay99 video talking about why people hated Temmo was plagiarized by PC gaming. It's only as been until recently that they've been found out. The article above goes and we more detail.

This kinda made me think of something, how often does this happen? Gbay99 is by no means a small YouTuber having 460k but is not Internet famous. How easy is it for journalists to plagiarize smaller content creators and never get caught. It took four years for this we found out. How much of online journalism is just plagiarism?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
About 4 years ago. If I remember right there was this one writer, I don't think he was with pcgamer but he was pretty notorious for just straight up plagiarizing small youtubers, eventually he got caught and fired. I want to say he was with IGN.

Yeah, although it looks like this was from 2018.
He was a guy named Miucin, do you know if the one that did this to Gbay was the same guy?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
History once again repeats itself. This happened with another YouTube user who has plagiarized by a reviewer from IGN. Looks like gaming journalism takes another hit in credibility. Hopefully, he'll be able to sue them.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
History once again repeats itself. This happened with another YouTube user who has plagiarized by a reviewer from IGN. Looks like gaming journalism takes another hit in credibility. Hopefully, he'll be able to sue them.
I highly doubt it would be worth his time and the lawyer fees, given that whatever damages that could be quantified would be minimal.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I highly doubt it would be worth his time and the lawyer fees, given that whatever damages that could be quantified would be minimal.
Even so, I don't blame him if he does. Lawyer fees or not. I know I would.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Even so, I don't blame him if he does. Lawyer fees or not. I know I would.
To what end? An official apology? With the churn that game journo sites go through, it is extremely unlikely that that journo still works for them, so you can't have them fired. Won't get much of a payout.

Even a small claims suit is an immensely emotionally draining affair. The legal system is inhuman by design and tradition. Why expend your well being and time on petty grievances instead of something you love? Some day we'll all be dead and gone, and nobody will ever know about some shitty ripped-off article, much less care about it. Pride is empty ego stroking. Just go be your best self and have time that you'll be able to look back fondly on.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
To what end? An official apology? With the churn that game journo sites go through, it is extremely unlikely that that journo still works for them, so you can't have them fired. Won't get much of a payout.

Even a small claims suit is an immensely emotionally draining affair. The legal system is inhuman by design and tradition. Why expend your well being and time on petty grievances instead of something you love? Some day we'll all be dead and gone, and nobody will ever know about some shitty ripped-off article, much less care about it. Pride is empty ego stroking. Just go be your best self and have time that you'll be able to look back fondly on.
I can't speak for him, but whether he decides to take action or not, I don't blame him either way. What you said is heartwarming, but not everyone is that forgiving. When something like this happens again, the next person might want more than an apology.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Who still reads articles by any gaming publisher? Gaming journalists have a lower reputation than wasps with super aids stingers

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
...welp.

You'd think people would understand that the internet is very....privy to noticing stuff like this. Plagarizing is such a stupid way to throw your career away. Oh well, free publicity for the YouTube channel just like Boomstick got ha.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
...welp.

You'd think people would understand that the internet is very....privy to noticing stuff like this. Plagarizing is such a stupid way to throw your career away. Oh well, free publicity for the YouTube channel just like Boomstick got ha.
Keep in mind it took four years for this to be figured out, and the guy they ripped off has nearly 700k subscribers. How many articles could just take the script from a random YouTuber's video with just 2000 subscribers and never get caught? There were mountains of articles on gaming alone, how much of the content is actually ripped off from people without voices.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Keep in mind it took four years for this to be figured out, and the guy they ripped off has nearly 700k subscribers. How many articles could just take the script from a random YouTuber's video with just 2000 subscribers and never get caught? There were mountains of articles on gaming alone, how much of the content is actually ripped off from people without voices.
Well, much like Mucin, the floodgates are open now and I'm sure his editor is going back through all his work and finding more instances. A plagiarizer never just does it once...

Tireseas

Plaguegirl
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Seattle
Country
United States

It varies by jurisdiction and individual resources (i.e. whether they can afford an IP attorney). Some are fairly easy, particularly small claims, while others can be a slog.
...welp.

Universities and even high schools have services where you can run essays and other writings through an analyzer that catches potential plagiarizing. I'm genuinely shocked a media company wouldn't have this practice to avoid potential lawsuits (though I can see it being an expense issue depending on pricing).

Reactions: BrawlMan