Ys: The Oath in Felghana

Akigawa

Jul 25, 2012
Ys, the really-confusing-to-pronounce-until-someone-actually-says-it series, came back in 2010 with the oath of felghana-- A very exciting thing for myself in particular.

You know, there's a certain feeling you get when you clear something tough in Ys for the first time, of which you don't get often today. A feeling that you absolutely, undoubtably earned what you just got. It was either tough as all hell or took a lot of dedication, but you did it with the fluidity of bruce lee and the sheer ferocity of a rabid bear.

Because you had to. True difficulty is needing to develop an automatic response to the things around you. It has nothing to do with numbers. Numbers are numbers. You had to put your heart and your mind into it.

You know-- The game's good. Really good, in fact. So good that I can't stand it. I hate it. Everything works the way it's supposed to. I'm not used to it here and now. I can't take it.
I'm used to pressing a button and seeing things die after an automatically-executed move, not this-- New-fangled monstrosity of a game.

It's so terrible, the way that you have two context-sensitive jump attacks. Or the way that you have to charge your spells. Or maybe the way that you're locked into difficult situations, testing your skill rather than the developer's ability to make the funny puppets kill eachother and wear tiny hats. Maybe it's the way you have to start all over from the last save point. How disgusting! Proper pacing is so...Sensible and thoughtful and-- immersive.

I'm too impatient for it now. I've been drained of thought processes by instantly gratifying games, giving me a treat for taking my first steps at age 20 and grunting when I need to shit.

What's never seemed to die in the Ys series is its willingness to build itself around every little mechanic it presents, nor does it ever cease in trusting the player has more than three active brain cells.

It shines out, in a way, simply by being so mundane and correct despite its engaging and clever use of mechanics. Like Dragon Quest always seems to.

In conclusion, this game is horrible. 0/10, wouldn't play again, it's an insult to modern gaming as it hasn't adapted to the age of being a slobbering imbecile only capable of sitting and complaining about not knowing what to do. It also smells like rotten prosciutto and good cheese, but that's probably the opinion of EA's investors, who know a lot about video games because EA knows everything. That's what EA told me, anyways.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Apr 3, 2020
Sarcasm: 9/10 would read again

I never managed to finish it; got stuck on the second boss. I had exactly the same problem with Origin, which is just as good, perhaps with some slightly better character design. Where are you going to see a girl swing a battleaxe in any other JRPG?

Edit: Maybe I should have said it some other way. My original intention was comparing Origin to Felghana, seeing as I think the former is actually the better game. Though they play a lot the same, I found that where Origin really stands out in comparison is the story - particularly because the player character(s) actually get to contribute to it. Their designs are also a lot less overdone than Adol's.

I just picked the wrong words to say it. Does that clear everything up?

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
That was a kinda stupid way of interpreting it. Oh, and 2 posts? Something makes me wanna say troll, but something makes me wanna say not a troll... Except for the fact that you don't know that it was originally a 2005 game. It only came out on Steam recently in 2012, and on PSP in 2010.

Saying that you're not used to things working like the way you want, basically being automatic, is a pretty poor way to go into gaming in general. You said it yourself, everything works as it's supposed to, makes you test your skill, etc. Those are, uh, I dunno, GOOD things in a game?

I call troll post for sure, and give it a 10/10 myself.

Edit: I'm not saying he's not a troll for hating on a game, by the way. It's every bit of wording regarding the hate that makes me say so, as it seems more as really poorly put together spite. Oh, and the last bit about EA. I think we can all be in agreement there.

Akigawa

Jul 25, 2012
Aetheora said:
That was a kinda stupid way of interpreting it. Oh, and 2 posts? Something makes me wanna say troll, but something makes me wanna say not a troll... Except for the fact that you don't know that it was originally a 2005 game. It only came out on Steam recently in 2012, and on PSP in 2010.

Saying that you're not used to things working like the way you want, basically being automatic, is a pretty poor way to go into gaming in general. You said it yourself, everything works as it's supposed to, makes you test your skill, etc. Those are, uh, I dunno, GOOD things in a game?

I call troll post for sure, and give it a 10/10 myself.

Edit: I'm not saying he's not a troll for hating on a game, by the way. It's every bit of wording regarding the hate that makes me say so, as it seems more as really poorly put together spite. Oh, and the last bit about EA. I think we can all be in agreement there.
The part about everything working/being built around mechanics being bad is satire-- It's meant to allude to the perspective of the slacked jaw developers expect us to have, as well as my own frustration with a lot of current usages of mechanics in a lot of games. I do apologize for the inaccurate year, though. I didn't know it came out in 2005, just that it was released on steam recentish. I ought to do more research next time. Thank you for your review within a review, though. It's terribly awkward for me to write reviews, as I always hated writing structures. Perhaps it's time to adhere a little more.

leet_x1337 said:

I never managed to finish it; got stuck on the second boss. I had exactly the same problem with Origin, which is just as good, perhaps with some slightly better character design. Where are you going to see a girl swing a battleaxe in any other JRPG?
Disgaea, Shinmegami tensei, Final Fantasy Tactics, Dragon Quest, Final fantasy X-2, Dark souls, and mabinogi if that counts. Thank you for your words. :V

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Apr 3, 2020
Akigawa said:
Disgaea, Shinmegami tensei, Final Fantasy Tactics, Dragon Quest, Final fantasy X-2, Dark souls, and mabinogi if that counts. Thank you for your words. :V
I think Mabinogi is Korean, but my point's the same. Especially regarding if you compare Oath in Felghana to Origin.

Akigawa

Jul 25, 2012
leet_x1337 said:
Akigawa said:
I think Mabinogi is Korean, but my point's the same. Especially regarding if you compare Oath in Felghana to Origin.
The point still stands though, that seeing a girl swing a battle axe isn't that impressive nowadays. It's more of seeing a woman that's actually built to do just that in a game.

Ys, to me, doesn't stand out for having odd characters, but the way they apply their mechanics and the absolutely badass flow you feel going on as you move through the game. Everything feels good when you do it. Killing an enemy feels great, just fighting a boss and dodging a single attack feels amazing, and wrecking that annoying knight's shit at the end of the mine arc not only ended up doing justice for the world, but it felt way good since he was a major asshole.
Not only that, but he was tough.
Way tough. Justified in his arrogance, in a way. Try getting back to Ys-- It's a game you have to leave and come back to a lot in order to beat.

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
leet_x1337 said:

tales of symphonia

also i managed to beat origin.. (on normal that is...)
but yeah Ys games are rather unforgiving whether that's a good point or not.. depends on if you like getting your ass handed to you by a boss a bunch of times before you can beat him.