Zack Snyder: The Force Awakens Killed More Civilians Than Man of Steel

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Zack Snyder: The Force Awakens Killed More Civilians Than Man of Steel

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1301/1301632.jpgZack Snyder is defending Man of Steel's body count by stating Star Wars: The Force Awakens went farther than he did.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is out this week, resurrecting all the old arguments about <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/columns/speedingbullets/16900-Superman-American-Alien-Is-The-Right-Answer-To-Man-of-Steel#&gid=gallery_6008&pid=1>how Man of Steel was too violent for its own good. According to director Zack Snyder, however, that criticism doesn't make sense - because <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20wars%20the%20force%20awakens?os=star+wars+the+force+awakens>Star Wars: The Force Awakens has a bigger body count.

"I went, really?" Snyder told the Wall Street Journal. "And I said, well, what about [Star Wars: The Force Awakens]? In Star Wars they destroy five planets with billions of people on them. That's gotta be one of the highest death toll movies in history, the new Star Wars movie, if you just do the math."

Yes, the Man of Steel director is technically correct that The Force Awakens has a higher death toll. But that's never been the problem fans had with the film - it's that Superman himself spent more time fighting Zod than saving the lives of people in Metropolis. The collateral damage from that conflict is a major reason why Batman is so concerned about Superman in the sequel, after all.

In other words: Stay on target, Snyder.

Besides, Star Wars kind of has a history of heroes being unable to stop genocidal maniacs. Leia was completely helpless to stop Alderaan from being destroyed, an act which motivated its heroes to defeat the Empire. But Superman? Outside of Krypton being destroyed, his entire motivation is stopping disasters like that from happening.

[gallery=6061]

Now obviously, Snyder and Warner Bros can produce whatever Superman film they want. And to be completely fair, Batman v Superman might actually produce a thoughtful response to these concerns - or at least be fun to watch. But taking aim at Star Wars probably won't generate the mic drop Snyder was hoping for. Either way, we'll find out how Batman v Superman compares to the original film and The Force Awakens this Friday.

Source: Screen Rant

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
Yea he doesn't understand the criticism at all. The problem wasn't the death toll but Superman's role in causing that death toll, not even trying to steer Zod away from buildings, casually tossing vehicles into possibly occupied buildings etc.

Meanwhile TFA's civilian death count is solely on the backs of the villains of the movie

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
totheendofsin said:
Meanwhile TFA's civilian death count is solely on the backs of the villains of the movie
Not to mention being the fully inteded result, therefore taking it out of any definition of collateral damage.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
gigastar said:
totheendofsin said:
Not to mention being the fully inteded result, therefore taking it out of any definition of collateral damage.
That's another good point I had forgotten about

In fact he seems to have missed the point so much I have to wonder if he's intentionally missing the point

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
totheendofsin said:
Yea he doesn't understand the criticism at all. The problem wasn't the death toll but Superman's role in causing that death toll, not even trying to steer Zod away from buildings, casually tossing vehicles into possibly occupied buildings etc.
Yeah, that underscores how badly Snyder doesn't get it. This is probably not the guy you want making the Superfriends origin movies.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Doesn't Bats v Supes v A Spare Weta Asset point out that collateral damage isn't killing scores of civvies? That's what I've heard from a review, and if that's the case clearly it's not just Age Of Ultron's finale which is reacting to MoS's fetishistic carnage, so Snyder's comments seem a bit daft.

And if Snyder can't really get his head around the difference between MoS and TFA relative to this criticism, then--- well, I suppose that kinda explains why his films are the way they are.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
You are right Snyder, the Villains of TFA killed more civilians than the Hero of your movie did in collateral damage. Truly that is the strongest of counter-points you can make at this point. This is after all the hero best known for his efforts to save people from harm and whos character is partway defined by his failures and limitations as one man, albeit one super-man, unable to save everything in the world despite his best efforts. The fact your movie about this character killed less civilians through collateral damage and lack of giving a damn during a fight than a military force who built a superweapon to destroy multiple planets is entirely true.

Is it just me, or does this sort of defense really highlight the entire fault wit hthe movie itself and where snyder missed the point?

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
totheendofsin said:
gigastar said:
totheendofsin said:
That's another good point I had forgotten about

In fact he seems to have missed the point so much I have to wonder if he's intentionally missing the point
Not to mention How it Should have Ended for MoS was 100% accurate and they didn't actually need to make anything up for it. God everybody in Man of Steel was an idiot.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
I think it's safe to assume Zack Snyder received multiple terrible blows to the head in the years since he directed Watchmen. Maybe it happened when he was making Sucker Punch?

Either that or he's a Marvel/Disney plant who's objective is to destroy WB/DC... but that would be weird as WB/DC have been doing just fine in that regards.

tiamat5

Aug 6, 2008
What kind of argument is that? Not only did he complete miss the point but attempts to drag down Star Wars to his level. The bad guys killed innocent people in Star Wars. The problem was Superman was probably killing innocent people as well and he is the good guy. It has nothing to do with how many, it was who was doing the killing. Come on man.Don't just say stuff. Think before you speak.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Uhhh...Snyder...you are aware that in star wars the villians of the film killed billions of people, in Man of Steel, Superman, you know the super nice guy who always desperately tries to save everyone? Kills innocent people by being a dumbass, the death toll is irrelevant, last I checked Rey wasn't the one opening fire on planets...

Nov 28, 2007
Yeah, I'm just going to leave this here. Most people have already said what I feel on the subject, but this is my personal contribution.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Its sad that the director has so little insight into the character he is using, and so little understanding of the critique of his work.

That said, the death toll in the newest star wars movie was completely retarded.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
That's a nice comparison between apples and oranges Snyder's got going.

Oh well, they any publicity is good publicity, even if it comes from being deliberately obtuse.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Is he still on about this?[footnote]He now reminds me of a certain Gearbox CEO that won't admit they made some serious mistakes and flops.[/footnote] He's a producer for Bats VS Supes: Justice Dawns, right? Did he ever read a plot summary on why the two heroes would be fighting?

I have a feeling Snyder could someday go all "George Lucas" on his old works and add lines about how any buildings being destroyed where evacuated just in time and any civilian that appeared to be killed would be digitally erased. He is on his way to becoming delusional enough to try it.

Jan 27, 2011
gigastar said:
totheendofsin said:
I like this. I really do. XD

Marvel (aka, the superheroes are AWESOME!!! studio): 75 people died in the chitauri assault, 23 people in washington, over a hundred in that other place...The avengers need to be put in check. *dramatic inception BWWWR*

Snyder: Hey, come on, Superman killed a lot less people than the bad guys of the new Star Wars Movie!

I don't even like superman at all (I find him really boring), and the early reviews are making me cringe. It seems they really missed the point of the character.

(Surprisingly, I like the Cap. I normally don't go for the "super-goody-two-shoes" characters, but I find HIM interesting at least in the movies, mostly because he's still human and thus vulnerable, so he has to really work at it to fix things, unlike Supes who is practically an invincible god)

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
...come again?

So the empire... the EVIL empire... literally SPACE NAZIS killing people... is the same as superman a super HERO killing an unknown numbers of civilians by punching his enemies through cityblocks... is somehow the same?

What? How? Why?

Snyder... people didnt take offense that civilians died in that movie.. they took offense about how superman blatantly disregarded the safety of the people he was suposed to protect from harm. He trashed an entire city during his little showdown with Zod wich must have caused an unknown amount of deaths, i mean they literally punched each others through skyscrapers that then collapsed if i remember correctly.... but somehow him having to kill the badguy zod.. that was the one death that made him go all PTSD?

THATS the problem with your movie. Not that people died at all...