Zelda Boss Reveals Skyward Sword Details

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Zelda Boss Reveals Skyward Sword Details

Rare birds, demon lords, and nifty items: Skyward Sword has them all.

Eiji Aonuma, the overseer for the Legend of Zelda franchise has shared a bounty of details about the upcoming Skyward Sword, revealing how the game will be different from the other games in the series. If you're concerned about minor, almost trivial, spoilers do not read any further.

According to Aonuma, the game's opening plays out a little differently than previous titles. The first part of the game is set in a boarding school in the realm of Skyloft. This section will play out like a school drama, with Link being something of an outsider thanks in part to his rare bird companion. Aonuma says that the bird racing section seen in Nintendo's E3 demo was actually Link competing against his rivals. Interestingly, Zelda isn't royalty in Skyward Sword, instead being Link's classmate and childhood friend. Players will get to see a lot of Skyloft, as, much like Clock Town in Majora's Mask, it will serve as a hub location for the game, and many of its inhabitants will get caught up in the main story.

Aonuma also revealed that the harlequin-esque Lord Ghiraham, seen in the E3 demo blocking sword hits with nothing more than his fingers, will play an important part in the game, filling a role similar to that of Dark Link in Ocarina of Time. "You can sort of swing your sword wildly and still hold your own against a lot of foes," he said. "but there's no way you can beat Ghiraham like that ... I think he's a pretty good change of pace as bosses go, and he'll change gradually throughout the game."

Skyward Sword will also mix up the inventory a little. Aonuma said that the core Zelda gameplay required a certain item set, which meant that the new and interesting items had to wait until later in the game. Shigeru Miyamoto was keen for that not to the case in Skyward Sword, Aonuma explained, and that a lot of the really interesting items appeared earlier on.

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is set to come out later this year.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/news/eiji-aonuma-wraps-zelda-skyward]

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
and now i have a real reason to go buy the brick that is the wii for $100 dollars this fall.

edit: u know if they put a vs mode in the game then this might possibly be the best zelda game of all time. and this is the first time i'm actually first....i still don't get it why all the hype about it.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
There something that should be mentioned here.
For anyone who wants to practice skyward sowrd before it comes out, play wii sports resort.
All the motions are used.
the bombs are used like in bowling and basketball.
the swords are used like in swordplay.
the bow is used like in archery
the weird bug tool is used like in air sports
You also fall out of the sky in both games so theres that.

OT: very happy about this news. Still I wounder if its going to be a sandbox type zelda like what was once hinted.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
Do they really need to market this anymore? All they need to do is say "new Zelda game" and watch people like me make preorders a year in advance :p

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
NOOOOO. Really, highschool drama? When will I get a Zelda where Link is a soldier or some other reason why he is the best swordfighter around? I really want a change of pace game where its more action oriented. But hell, I'll end up buying this anyway.

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
Clocktown Like hub system? Inventory system shake up? damn this combined with the new sword play mechanics really shows they are trying something diffrent with this one.

Was going to buy it anyway, but simply said this really really makes it on my must have.

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
Damn with the 50$ I'm going to spend on the game and the extra 40$ for Wii motion plus, then this game is going to set me back 90$.

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
...Highschool drama?
If there is one think I do not think of when considering the Zelda franchise, it's a highschool drama.
NINTENDOOOOOOOOOO!!

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
These all sound like good things. Great things in fact. And making comparisons to Majora's mask is definitely going to pique my interest, Clock Town was amazing, and after the towns being really lacking in Twilight Princess, I'd love to have more homely ones. Dark Link was one of the best fights in the games too, only beaten bu Majora in terms of actual skill needed.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Mutie said:
...Highschool drama?
If there is one think I do not think of when considering the Zelda franchise, it's a highschool drama.
NINTENDOOOOOOOOOO!!
Bully is a damn fine game...

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
OutrageousEmu said:
So they're trying to rip off Persona now.

Except they managed to miss the involving and deep characters, the relateable problems and the ability to date people, leaving us with precisely nothing people actually like about the school sections of Persona. Lovely.
So you are mad that they are supposedly ripping of persona, but mad that they aren't ripping of persona?

Exactly how can you know the depth of the characters in this upcoming game? And the problems they face which are reported to be different then any previous Zelda?

Run along

Snoozer

Jun 8, 2011
So the fist part sound pretty ... boring. School drama, really?
I hope they don't try and give Link too much of a personality there. Link is a good character simply because you don't know that much about him. He hasn't even real dialog lines in the games so far. But you can't make a really good game if you don't take risks.
Looking forward to a new Zelda game for console, the latest Ds titels were a bit disappointing.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
OutrageousEmu said:
bombadilillo said:
OutrageousEmu said:
So they're trying to rip off Persona now.

Except they managed to miss the involving and deep characters, the relateable problems and the ability to date people, leaving us with precisely nothing people actually like about the school sections of Persona. Lovely.
So you are mad that they are supposedly ripping of persona, but mad that they aren't ripping of persona?

Exactly how can you know the depth of the characters in this upcoming game? And the problems they face which are reported to be different then any previous Zelda?

Run along
The track record.
Intresting, so you would you even think that then are "ripping persona off"? If they are going to do nothing at all similar to persona then wheres your complaint?

Have fun ripping Zelda because...good reasons?

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I don't really care about the whole "high school drama" thing, because they said it was just the opening. Odds are it will just show Link's life, something comes and disrupts everything, and then we're back to the good ol' dungeon-exploring, puzzle-solving, monster-slaying action we're all used to. It'll be a nice change of pace and tone for the series, and maybe deliver a little bit more in the story department, but it likely won't be that big a change.

Now what I'm interested in is the whole thing on how they are interested in changing up parts of the formula. A re-occurring boss or mini-boss that requires more than wild sword swinging. A hub world like Clock Town. A mix-up of the inventory (they'll probably still keep the bow ,bomb and hookshot. The little beetle thing will likely replace the boomerang. And then there's the interesting items.).The game is looking good, and shaping up well. And it's nice to see Nintendo trying to shake things up a little while keeping the core of the game the same.