Zelda Fan Builds Tuneful Treasure Chest

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Zelda Fan Builds Tuneful Treasure Chest

Storage becomes a lot more interesting when it incorporates videogame sound effects.

Sculptor and Nintendo fan Zachariah Perry Cruse has constructed a treasure chest that plays the "chest opening tune" from the Legend of Zelda every time the lid is opened. What's more, he's put together step-by-step instructions [http://www.instructables.com/id/Legend-of-Zelda-Treasure-chest-with-sound/] on people can build one for themselves.

Cruse built the chest out of pine plywood, using woodstain to get the color right, and poster board and furniture nails for the details. The construction is surprisingly simple, with everything held together with glue, and a sharpie pen used to make it look like it's made of more pieces of wood than it really is. The distinctive melody is contained on an MP3 player, with a switch that triggers when the lid is opened. Cruse suggests that nothing else be on the player other than the song itself.

Using Cruse's instructions as a guideline, it seems like it would be a fairly simply affair tweak the design and make a chest straight out of your favorite Zelda game. With a different colored woodstain and some gold trim, you could make the chests from A Link to the Past, or if you're feeling really adventurous, you could try and replicate the multicolored spiked chests from Wind Waker. As a Zelda fan myself, I'm rather tempted to make a chest of my own. I'd have to keep something special in though, partially to reflect all the effort I'd put in, and partially because if it plays the song every time the lid is opened, it's not something I'd necessarily want to be diving into all the time.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Finally, somewhere to put my maps (except my map has a chart of all the happy hours in the city on the back).

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
The chest doesn't creak! :(
What's the OoT chest opening sequence without the creaking?

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
Cool. I'm going to build a couple, so I can put my Iron Boots, Boomerang, Hook Shot and keys in them. Then, to make sure they stay extra safe, I'll put them in a deep recess of some mysteriously enchanted cave, where no one will ever find them.

I mean, who goes spelunking these days?

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Cruse built the chest out of pine plywood, using woodstain to get the color right and poste rboard and furniture nails for the details.
How did that get past the spellcheck?

Anyways I want one of those in my room... so bad.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Want.
Want with the force of one thousand suns.
If only i had the time to build one.

sylekage

Dec 24, 2008
I'm gonna make a hundred of these. Then put rupees, items, maybe a map or two in them. Why?

Cuz I can.

But yeah, I want to make these, this is really, really awesome

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
So... do you HAVE to open it slowly? What if you really needed what was in it? O_O

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
Now I have to make one of these. thanks, guys, it's not like I needed another project to take up my free time.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
How Nintendo or game/toy related company did not think about this at all is kind of suprising.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to buy one of those cards you can record a voice message on and rip the technical gubbins out of it?