Zelda: Skyward Sword Trailer Introduces Enigmatic Foe

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Zelda: Skyward Sword Trailer Introduces Enigmatic Foe

The newest trailer for Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword briefly introduces what could be a major character.

The keynote [http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Skyward-Sword-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002BSC54I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299254029&sr=8-1] at GDC 2011 gets more into the nitty gritty of how the next title in the series will be different from what we've seen before. In addition to new gameplay segments, it also gives us a look at a mysterious character that likely plays a significant part in the game.

Link is present in all his green glory, and seen taking on a variety of enemies in different ways. He flips over spiders to thrust at their undersides, chops down living totem poles, and slashes apart the hulking wooden shields of spear-wielding ogres. Not only will Link have to face skeletons again in Skyward Sword, but skeletons with four arms. He's got it tough, Link does.

The trailer also shows off the flying beetle tool we saw in the trailer from E3 2010, a minigame where Link hacks away at at a bamboo pole, and a new type of cubic key that players must rotate to find the proper fit in a door. However, the biggest new development in the trailer could be easily missed.

Towards the end, a white-haired man with a black and yellow cape is seen sitting atop a bronze construct that later comes to life and tries to cut Link in half with an axe. The man doesn't look all that evil, but he could be the one that gives life to the construct so it'll get in Link's way. He's shown teleporting away with a snap of his fingers, so he obviously has some power.

Skyward Sword is truly looking gorgeous, with a visual style that mixes the "controversial" Twilight Princess [http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Wind-Waker-Gamecube/dp/7100027950/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1299255287&sr=1-2]. If Nintendo is currently working on the Wii's successor, it'll at least make sure the system goes out with a bang.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/03/mysterious-caped-character-seen-in-the-latest-the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-video/]

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
o_O

DAMN... why did my dad gave away his WII... NOW i´m gonna gave to buy a new one...

DAMN DAMN DAMN...

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Why is the toon style of Wind Waker called controversial? I liked the wind waker toon style, and so does my friends who played it, fit the game =/

Looks cool, Link is still right handed in this game though :>

Sad Face

Oct 29, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
Hmmm... whilst the gameplay looks excelent as usual im not really a fan of the "Niehter here nor there" art stlye as i think it really beings out the weaknesses in the Wii's hardware and looks a little off to me. im not sure why but the flat but colourful why it looks reminds me of the N64 era... in a bad way.
I liked the art stlye until I read this. I see everything that you're saying, yet I can't decide if I like the look now or not.

I would like to see more before I decide...but regardless I came here to ask if the colours look a little dull to anyone else, or if it's my monitor. It's all looking a little dusted.

Either way, I'm pumped for the game and will probably be pre-ordering it. Is there a release date yet?

therandombear said:
Why is the toon style of Wind Waker called controversial? I liked the wind waker toon style, and so does my friends who played it, fit the game =/

\

People thought the graphics were a step backwards, that it looked too cartoony. I even heard of people boycotting it.
Man Gamers can be really uppity.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
very cool look but I have reservations about how all the motion controls will work

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
Lrbearclaw said:
Mordwyl said:
It doesn't take a genius to realise the villain is Ganon, again.
Just like Four Swords and Majora's Mask huh?
Great as they were (MM being my second favourite) they don't go in the main series.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
WolfEdge said:
Jabberwock xeno said:
He's the gilded sword personified, like how the girl is the master sword.

*Removes sunglasses*

O mai gehd...
i kneow raght!

But really, I bet that the entire game explains how all of the artifacts and swords in the LOZ universe came to be:

They were all deities.

Maybe even Majora himself may show up. :D

Mordwyl said:
Lrbearclaw said:
Mordwyl said:
Great as they were (MM being my second favourite) they don't go in the main series.
What?

MM took place right after OoT, it IS a part of the main series.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
therandombear said:

People raised a stink. I liked it too.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
I had a nerdgasm while watching the trailer.

When is this coming out again?

Lrbearclaw

May 19, 2009
Mordwyl said:
Lrbearclaw said:
Mordwyl said:
Majora's Mask happened inside of Ocarina's timeline. 4 Sword (Adventures) is part of the Legend but unknown where. Link's Awakening was a dream yes so that is the only one "not in continuality".

However, Ganon's origin is in OoT, LoZ:SS is BEFORE all others so Ganon can NOT be the enemy as he did not even exist.