Zelda: Skyward Sword Trailer Introduces Enigmatic Foe

Artorius

Mar 18, 2009
a question- i am new the zelda series .so who is the white girl standing behind link in the poster?.
shaboinkin said:
I don't know if I'm by myself with this one, but that music sounds awfully cheesy.
i second yours.
OT - for a wii game its looks to be good.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
The art style bothers me, not because Wind Waker was a bad game, it was great. It's that with silly art, comes silly concepts.

I'm reminded of Niko and the Pirates in WW. Try playing out that scene with an OoT Link or TP Link. It doesn't fit.

I see what Nintendo is trying to do, but I'm afraid the concepts might get too silly.

An example I want to throw out there is Zant in TP. He's made out to be the slow-walking baddass, and when we finally get to fight him, the battle inevitable simply becomes silly... He takes off the helmet, starts making wacky noises and his attacks didn't exactly bring any finesse to the field. Now don't get me wrong, the switch from slow-walking badass to super-fast almost DBZ like speed kept me on my toes and was a nice twist for a boss fight you're expecting to be more like OoT Ganondorf speed, but they could have handled that better. This is where I made the biggest comparison to Wind Waker from Twilight Princess.

Link doesn't have to ALWAYS be serious, it's ok to stop and have some fun once in a while and I think that's one of the reasons TP still had their minigames and if they'd been sillier I'd have been ok with it, but when it's time to get serious, then it's time to get serious.

(to clarify, I seriously enjoyed WW but I LOVED TP)

This is the ONLY concern I have for this game, that the art style influenced the overall tone and silliness level of the serious parts of the game.

That and this is Ninteno's last chance to prove they can still make great games before I switch companies... Us poor people can only afford one console at a couple games a year you know....

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
Artorius said:
a question- i am new the zelda series .so who is the white girl standing behind link in the poster?.
shaboinkin said:
I don't know if I'm by myself with this one, but that music sounds awfully cheesy.
i second yours.
OT - for a wii game its looks to be good.
It's not clarified, but speculation says it's the humanoid persona of the Master Sword. This is specific to this game, so until we get more on it, we won't really know.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
i want him so bad! however, i'm still not sure about the move back to a Wind Waker-esk look

firetamer13

Jun 8, 2010
Not sold on the gameplay. Link's arm looks really stiff and awkward with no follow through to any of his slashes (ala Twilight Princess's fluid sword controls (at least on the G-cube)). I guess this is where we see (again) if motion controls can really provide an extra layer of immersion or if they just serve to show why gamers aren't weapon masters. (I might as well have copy-pasted that from almost any 1st party wii game to have come out in the last three years. No conclusion has been reached yet.)
Yeah the art looks kind of nasty too, but I guess they're trying to smooth out the schizophrenia that the Zelda universe has had with it's art style ever since OoT, though I kind of wish they had waited until the [Wii 2]. The engine doesn't seem to have any strong lights or shadows.
Yes I'll probably buy it, my Nintendo overlords compel me.

About To Crash

Apr 24, 2009
I... don't want it. I've bought Zelda games my whole gaming career, but now it's come to me realizing that I really don't want to just play more of it. I wasn't even that big of a fan of Twilight princess. I'll probably play it, but on a friend's console. I want to see Zelda go in a new direction. Regardless of that direction, they'll have huge sales, because it's Zelda, and they could explore some new gameplay feelings. Have one that's acrobatic, or more reminiscent of Steampunk designs. I'd happily debase myself for Steampunk Zelda. And geez, it would be nice for Link to have some new elements to his personality. I know it's not going to happen, I know a lot of people don't want to see it happen, but I can still plea.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Scrumpmonkey said:
Hmmm... whilst the gameplay looks excelent as usual im not really a fan of the "Niehter here nor there" art stlye as i think it really beings out the weaknesses in the Wii's hardware and looks a little off to me. im not sure why but the flat but colourful why it looks reminds me of the N64 era... in a bad way.
I'm with you, the mix of styles does nothing for me. And even repels me from what I think should have been an installment of the 'darker' Zelda formula. Trying to hybrid the two now really doesn't help sell this to me. And graphics while never a make or break thing for Nintendo games still puts me off, it almost hurts to look at. I think Twilight Princess, while suffering from a bit of the 'Bloom brush' was still crisp and visually stunning in it's own way, this just reeks of 'we can't be bothered to do that again'.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Lrbearclaw said:
Mordwyl said:
It doesn't take a genius to realise the villain is Ganon, again.
Just like Four Swords and Majora's Mask huh?
Um... if you're talking the Gamecube Four Swords... Ganon was the main villain...

Mordwyl said:
Lrbearclaw said:
Mordwyl said:
It doesn't take a genius to realise the villain is Ganon, again.
Just like Four Swords and Majora's Mask huh?
Great as they were (MM being my second favourite) they don't go in the main series.
First off, Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time, so if there were any game that would be part of the "main series", it's that.

Second of all, all normal Zelda games are part of the "main series", so I don't even understand what you're getting at.

And finally, if we're talking the "canonical" story, then there IS no "main series", at least the way I see it. You're supposed to look at all the different Zelda games and decide which fits where for yourself, what story you think makes the most sense and is the coolest.

Take me, for example. I believe that the Link in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask is the same Link in Twilight Princess, and that upon returning to Hyrule from Termina, Link realized that all his time-fuckery had sent him over a thousand years into the future.

But, again, that's my own personal Legend. Think about it... it'd make much more sense for someone like Miyamoto to want something like that rather then some strict timeline.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Man, the graphics aren't very impressive, not that this is a big deal. Hopefully the gameplay is excellent. I won't be playing this game unfortunately since I don't own a wii.

pendragon177

Jul 12, 2009
Jabberwock xeno said:
He's the gilded sword personified, like how the girl is the master sword.

This is starting to sound like Bleach filler. Swords coming to life with a physical body to attack it's previous owner.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Another white-haired (male or female?) not-attractive-so-not-a-heroic-romancing-option character? Hes obviously a "Stoic" yet completely heartless evil villian.

The gameplay seems kind of fun.

I just hope the overworld wont be an empty, lifeless shell full of nothing (like TP). When we fix something i expect to see people/things doing their stuff outside. (again, in TP Hyrule town is a big city full of people.. but you only see 3 civilian outside; the bug girl, the postman, and a goron with water. No guard patrol, no farmers, no travelling merchants.. nothing.)

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
It may be the unpopular opinion around here, but I'm honestly not impressed by this game so far.

I absolutely abhor motion controls except for certain games (Metroid Prime) and the whole direction cutting of this game seems like a gimmick that would get annoying to me really fast.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I'm happy to see trailers that show actual gameplay. Nintendo is usually good about that, though. This seems like a motion control demo, but it looks good. I'm sure many people will hate it on principle, but if Skyward Sword can accurately distinguish a horizontal slash, vertical slash, diagonal slash, and a thrust, then that could make for some solid gameplay.

I just hope they get rid of the Wii and Nunchuck on the HUD. At least give us the option to remove it.
Onyx Oblivion said:
New Ganon design, maybe?
I've heard some solid theories that he's Vaati, actually.