ZeniMax Acquires Rage from Electronic Arts

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
TOGSolid said:
swaki said:
well, lets hope it will be better than the last game bethesda published.
Funny, I was just talking about that with a buddy of mine. Unfortunately for Rage, I now have to assume that their game is going to suck and not purchase it until I hear otherwise. I have a hard and fast rule that everything Bethesda touches, whether via development or production, is just going to suck. Especially after the last time they tried to publish a game and they absolutely raped it.
well i liked morrowind and oblivion, and i absolutely loved fallout 3, but im really interested in the "Especially after the last time they tried to publish a game and they absolutely raped it." part, are they to blame for rogue warrior? if so do you have a source, i have allot of anger and apparently ive been pointing it in the wrong direction.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Well, if they say the development of the game won't change, all that's going to change is how the game is marketed. I'm not sure if EA and ZeniMax have differences in how they market games, but I don't really care. I'll have a look at the reviews that Rage gets when it's released, and make my decision over whether to buy it or not based on that.

Does it really matter who develops a game, as long as it gets developed? I mean, sure it's a loss for EA, but I doubt anyone's going to jumping out of any windows over it. EA's a big company, they'll survive.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Huh. Don't care one way or another about Bethesda, but I didn't know the game was being made for the PS3.

Though the Mac is even more surprising.

r_Chance

Dec 13, 2008
zombie711 said:
wait the fallout ripoff will be published by the people who make fallout?
Both games, Fallout 3 and Rage, began development at pretty much the same time. The difference in dev times is simple -- Bethesda used middleware and id develops it's own engines.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Gfan_00 said:
Damn, I've been unimpressed by Bethesda lately, and would've vastly preferred EA to publish Rage.
Published =/= Developed.

Basically, Bethesda is just going to copy the disc a couple million times, they aren't going to actually develop anything. As for the new poster's sentiments on being surprised or not: I'd say no. ZeniMax owns iD now, so they want to make sure that their games stay "in house". By taking EA's name off of Rage, any positive publicity is going to now stay within ZeniMax-owned companies.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
ID is no longer independent? Great, there goes one of the two studios I still have 100% fanboy faith in.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
this is just business at work.

Id was an independant company when Rage was started, and they were getting EA to publish their game for them.

Then Zeni bought Id, but didn't have the rights to the game they're currently working on until now.

Nothing really to see here people.

thanks for the news though.. not really discussion worthy, but news is always good :)

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I'm surprised at how many people don't like Bethesda... Fallout 3 is awesome, Oblivion is awesome, Morrowind was super-awesome... what's wrong with you people?

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
zombie711 said:
wait the fallout ripoff will be published by the people who make fallout?
I don't normally do this, but,

SO

MUCH

FAIL.

[sub]Sorry.[/sub]

OK, two main things, first of all don't just disregard Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout: Tactics.

Second, "A game is set in the post-apocalypse! IT MUST BE A RIPOFF OF FALLOUT!" is a little silly.

Keep in ming all (potential) differences in gameplay, story, themes and style.

Also, something only qualifies as a ripoff if it is specifically designed to mimic another successful game and ride on its success.

Case in point, Two Worlds. It was made to be like Oblivion.

Rage is not this. Rage is respectable.

Rage is id.

Also, I think there is a significant difference in themes, i.e. Fallout being more about the close-up relationships and lower-level result of emergence and apocalypse, whilst Rage is more about a world without government or defining leading force.

I would also like to apologize for my attack at the top but I AIN'T GOIN' BACK TO EDIT IT!

Kellerb

Jan 20, 2009
Tiamat666 said:
I'm surprised at how many people don't like Bethesda... Fallout 3 is awesome, Oblivion is awesome, Morrowind was super-awesome... what's wrong with you people?
precisely. Bethesda brought us the rock-it launcher people!

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
I don't know what to think.

EA is pretty much the embodiment of evil, so I can't cheer for those guys.
But Bethesda is pretty much the embodiment of making games that sound good on paper but end up being shitty in the end.

I mean really, why would I want to go into V.A.T.S every time I want to shoot something in Fallout 3? (Okay, it does look awesome the first hundred or so times) Well, because it's impossible to shoot anything without it, because Bethesda most likely didn't feel like bothering to implement a way to actually hit stuff while aiming on your own.
And let us not forget the stiff-backed people talking to us while never looking away-conversations that plague Bethesda games. And FACIAL ANIMATION! Helloooo!
Urgh.

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
Tiamat666 said:
Exactly! Whats wrong with you people?!
Also so many persons seems to hate bethesda but still they spend so much time playing their games? You can't really hate some thing you spend 100h+ on? Why do you play their games so much if you hate them?

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Rage is currently in development for the PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Mac, but no release date has been set.
What the hell? An AAA title developed for Mac and not a port? That's news.[footnote]Yes, I know Blizzard makes for Mac too.[/footnote]

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Bethesda is not making the game. ZeniMax OWNS Bethesda, thats it. Be happy if someone gets bought by ZeniMax, since unlike EA, they dont muck around with their adopted children.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
addeB said:
Tiamat666 said:
Exactly! Whats wrong with you people?!
Also so many persons seems to hate bethesda but still they spend so much time playing their games? You can't really hate some thing you spend 100h+ on? Why do you play their games so much if you hate them?
Im guessing cause of the Oblivionized Fallout 3, they assume anything they get will be TESified.

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
Kiutu said:
Bethesda is not making the game. ZeniMax OWNS Bethesda, thats it. Be happy if someone gets bought by ZeniMax, since unlike EA, they dont muck around with their adopted children.
Damn straight. Couldn't have said it better myself.

(And for evidence to the skeptical, look at Pandemic - developers of The Saboteur - shut down recently due to some of EA's more shady dealings)