Zenimax Files Suit Against Samsung for Oculus Tech in Gear VR

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Zenimax Files Suit Against Samsung for Oculus Tech in Gear VR

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1406/1406131.jpgIn the wake of its court victory over Oculus, Zenimax is now taking aim at Samsung's Gear VR.

After here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169432-ZeniMax-Awarded-500-Million-in-Oculus-Lawsuit]).

The suit alleges that Oculus CTO John Carmack came up with the idea that led to the creation of Gear VR while working at id Software. According to the suit, Carmack brought Matt Hooper, who had been recently fired by Zenimax, into the id Software offices after hours, and, "left Hooper unattended, free to examine ZeniMax confidential materials, at which point Hooper went alone into offices where ZeniMax maintained and stored confidential information." Zenimax said that Carmack failed to disclose Hooper's presence, and that it only learned of the late night visit through reviewing security camera footage.

Later that night, the suit says, Hooper emailed his contacts stating that he and Carmack had "formulated an 'attack plan' for the mobile VR work that they would undertake together at Oculus, and which Oculus would subsequently provide to Samsung.

Zenimax claims that the Gear VR headset is built on Zenimax technology, and therefore infringes on its IP rights. The suit seeks punitive damages, a percentage of the profits earned from the sales of Gear VR, injunctive relief, and of course, court costs.

It sounds like this may hinge on the outcome of the motion that Oculus has already sold five million Gear VR headsets [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170092-Oculus-Files-Motion-New-Trial-Zenimax-Lawsuit].

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Surely this breaks some criminal law as well? Why aren't they pressing charges?

P.S. Thanks

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Covarr said:
Surely this breaks some criminal law as well?
Hard to imagine what. It's not trespassing if one person is an employee and the other is a guest. Breaking company policy is easily cited in civil law, but criminal law doesn't usually care.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Zenimax, How are you losing money?
Its not like you announced your own headset.
And if you did I doubt you could use it on consoles.
ffronw said:
Zenimax said that Carmack failed to disclose Hooper's presence, and that it only learned of the late night visit through reviewing security camera footage.
Can we see this footage too?

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I was mostly on the fence over the previous lawsuit (more so on Carmack's side given that the Google searches for how to wipe a hard drive make no goddamn sense!) but now I cannot help but feel that Zenimax are merely being litigious. I mean, what part other than it being VR did Samsung copy? Did they examine a unit and find some of their code or patents?

Jacked Assassin said:
Zenimax, How are you losing money?
Its not like you announced your own headset.
And if you did I doubt you could use it on consoles.
ffronw said:
Zenimax said that Carmack failed to disclose Hooper's presence, and that it only learned of the late night visit through reviewing security camera footage.
Can we see this footage too?
Me three.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Covarr said:
Surely this breaks some criminal law as well? Why aren't they pressing charges?

P.S. Thanks
It doesn't, if building security was lax enough to let a former employee back in to the building, then the fault is Zenimax's. And don't call me Shirley.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I'm confuse. Haven't we already been through this? I'm getting a sense of deja vu here.

bladestorm91

Mar 18, 2015
You seriously can't cheer for Zenimax, I didn't when they went after Oculus and this time even more so because it confirms their real intentions. They don't really care about VR, they are not making VR tech and doing this is damaging an emerging industry. They only care that suing will bring them money. Disgusting. I'm not supporting this behavior and I'm not planning to buy anything from Zenimax/Bethesda in the future.