ZeniMax Media Acquires id Software - UPDATED

insanejigsaw

Jun 21, 2009
countrysteaksauce said:
The Elder Command and Conquer 3D: DooMed Knights of the Old Fallout ft. MechaHitler: Sizzling Isles Expansion Pack

One day...One day...
one day that game will be real and it will be the best game ever

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Logan Frederick said:
Didn't see this one coming. The industry consolidation only continues with the economic times.
Truth, and that is something I'm not happy with.

P.S. Tell Romero to come back and form an opinion when he's undone Daikatana. Oh yeah, I went there.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
When times get tough, its good to see something like this happen. I'm optimistic that Zenimax will keep their hands off Id games for long enough that they get the gist of what makes Id good, and maybe even apply that formula to some of Bethesda's games.
(A Heretic rpg sounds good, especially Fallout 3 style. Mmmm, chicken...)
And Romero, who we havent even heard from in years thank GOD, can stick his hair in a metal ceiling fan. Id wouldn't even be around anymore if that twit stayed.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
More Fun To Compute said:
Doom is now going to get the magical, full on RPG treatment.

"I saw a Cacodemon the other day by the gates of hell."

"Disgusting creatures."

"I hope I never see another."

"Good day."
:D

Two awesome, and my personal favorite studios under one roof. Sounds exciting.

I wonder if this means that Bethesda will be looking towards IdTech for upcoming titles.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
they should just make a huge gaming company so they can fire Sonic team...
I have been slamming on that blue cultural phenomenon for a while now, haven't I?

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Maybe id Software can instruct Bethesda in making games with characters that don't look like mannequins and that ship with less than 100 bugs, perhaps even adhering to source material when acquiring franchises?

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
When I first read this (on a Bethesda wiki of all places) I didn't know what to think.

Then I remembered Doom 3 over on my shelf, and came to the conclusion that I really didn't care one way or another.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Okay, Romero has apparently changed his mind but since I already updated this story once to accommodate him, I'll just make a note here in the ol' comments.

Several hours after his initial reaction, Romero had some kinder words for the id/ZeniMax dead. "i am positive about the Zenimax deal. my initial reaction was harsh. sorry," he Twittered. "i guess i was shocked and sad to see the id Software of old changed forever today. it's a new day and a new id."

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Here's to ZeniMax, a privately held company that doesn't have to kowtow to idiot shareholders who have no dog in the fight as far as actual games are concerned (I'm looking at you, EA) and care only about the bottom line. Try this for size: Wonder Woman is now the First Lady of id.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
nilcypher said:
Wow, John Romero. It's been a long time since his opinion was worth anything ...
Yes, on seeing that my thoughts were that John 'Daikatana' Romero was perhaps not the best judge of what a good RPG studio was.

Maybe now there's hope for more Commander Keen games. A boy can dream.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Note to ZeniMax: please continue developing Quake Live. Yes, also the Mac and Linux version. And yes, for free. Thanks.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
I do recall Carmack saying he was leaving after id tech 5 was done, which basically means when Rage is done, and possibly Doom 4, so it's rather surprising that they've all signed long term contracts. I would imagine video game programming might get boring when you're working on putting a private rocket into space. I love id though, and Bethesda has made some great games, and neither of them seem like money grubbing whores. Bethesda may seem like a company that can't seem to get bugs worked out, but they still make good games. I can't see any real problems with this, id will get more funding, and won't have to outsource publishing, and Bethesda can come to Carmack when they need to program a computerized Jesus that's better than the original. I'd still really like to see them make an actual sequel to Quake, instead of the futuristic bullshit that was Quake 2, and the multiplayer/botfest deathmatch romp that was Quake 3.

karmapolizei

Sep 26, 2008
I guess that makes sense, somehow. Bethesda obviously has no clue of how to make an FPS (as you can see from the really dodgy non-VATS fights in Fallout 3), and I guess id would be more than happy to have some RPG expertise at their side - who knows what you might need that for ;)

That, or Zedimax simply wants to be a bigger player ;)

Halfang

Nov 5, 2007
razbuten363 said:
Anyone else afraid of the day when all games come from a single corporation, always producing the same bland games because that's all they can do?
Imagine the huge amount of shovelware! Yay(not!)

It's already happening, IMO. Look at how many clones of clones of clones we have nowadays. The last innovative game was, probably, Portal. And it even was a clone of that Kneeless princess, or something like that.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
You know, I spent a lot of years calling Romero every name I could think of, not necessarily because I was mad about Daikatana (although... wow, John) but because, as I saw it, his Ion Storm adventure resulted in the demise of Looking Glass, one of the greatest studios EVAR.

But you can't take away his past work. Everything up to Daikatana was pretty goddamn amazing. And while I haven't been paying close attention by any stretch, what I've seen on his home page over the past year or so has kinda swung me back around to his side. The guy fucked up, yeah, but that doesn't mean he's some kind of evil idiot. He just dropped the ball, albeit it in a very big, public way.

I was shocked when I read about id and Bethsoft yesterday. So I imagine that shock mixed with Romero's history with id as a founder and a major player through the studio's glory years and I think, yeah, I can see why he'd have a bit of a freakout over this. I figure it was a natural reaction, and no harm, no foul.

Back on topic, I see this as a good fit. I remember reading an interview with a Bethsoft guy ages ago about how the studio was so lucky because they were basically just given money to make the games they wanted and otherwise left alone. If id is able to operate in the same environment I think we'll see this, as Hollenshead predicted, as a very good thing in the long run.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Malygris said:
"ZENIMAX??????? Disgusting," he Twittered [http://twitter.com/theromero] earlier today. "Fallout 3 bought DOOM. Wow."
The guy who brought you Daikatana, and screwed up Ion Storm so badly we'll never get a true sequel to Deus Ex (Deus Ex: IW doesn't count, and Deus Ex 3 I don't really think'll be a true Deus Ex sequel).

Basically, he can go fuck himself.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Malygris said:
"ZENIMAX??????? Disgusting," he Twittered [http://twitter.com/theromero] earlier today. "Fallout 3 bought DOOM. Wow."
thank you John, you still don't mean much to everyone anymore

Malygris said:
You know, I spent a lot of years calling Romero every name I could think of, not necessarily because I was mad about Daikatana (although... wow, John) but because, as I saw it, his Ion Storm adventure resulted in the demise of Looking Glass, one of the greatest studios EVAR.

But you can't take away his past work. Everything up to Daikatana was pretty goddamn amazing. And while I haven't been paying close attention by any stretch, what I've seen on his home page over the past year or so has kinda swung me back around to his side. The guy fucked up, yeah, but that doesn't mean he's some kind of evil idiot. He just dropped the ball, albeit it in a very big, public way.
i'm going to have to say the amazing work was done by The Carmack and not Romero and i think that Dikatana proved that really