ZeniMax Media Acquires id Software - UPDATED

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Woe Is You said:
300lb. Samoan said:
EDIT: On topic, even though we know that id is good at doin' their thang, I hope this "forward looking research" or whatever doesn't end up watering down their games to make them more palettable for the mainstream.
Thing is, you can't water down Doom. It's the epitome of a turn-off-your-brains-and-shoot-them-all-up. Same goes for... well, just about all the other id IPs aside from maybe Commander Keen and Orcs & Elves. I don't think anything will happen to Doom. In fact, a new Doom is the kind of game that would do well next to Gears of War and the like.

Carmack loves to tinker around with tech but he hates complex gameplay as id's games prove.
Yea, that's why I hope they don't water it down with complex gameplay, character development and RPG elements. I like my id games just the way they've always been: pretty, simple.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
More Fun To Compute said:
Doom is now going to get the magical, full on RPG treatment.

"I saw a Cacodemon the other day by the gates of hell."

"Disgusting creatures."

"I hope I never see another."

"Good day."

I can't wait for that extra level of detail that the Doom game world has been missing.
They tried giving Doom a story with Doom 3, and it pissed all over itself. Doom is at its best when it's just you, a shotgun, and a base full of monsters to clean out.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Huh. That's a bizzare combination: hopefully we get some good games out of it.

Oh, and I hope they make the next DOOM game more about the fast gunplay of the originals and less about trying to be a horror game.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Malygris said:
"ZENIMAX??????? Disgusting," he Twittered [http://twitter.com/theromero] earlier today. "Fallout 3 bought DOOM. Wow."
Ladies and gentlemen, John Romero, a man who still has yet to make anybody his *****.

Outamyhead

Feb 25, 2009
Not exactly surprised, not sure why Romero is (what is he doing these days since Diakatana effectively killed his branch of Ion Storm...besides twittering, bubtubing, myfacing?), besides Quake Wars what have they done lately that got big sales?

in this time and age I think Bethesda made a smart move, they now own one of the best game engine developers in the business.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
John Romero's good for one thing as far as I'm concerned---he proved excellent fodder for the Penny Arcade guys to get their chops back in 1998-99. I don't know that they would've been able to refine their art without such a frequent Butt Monkey to keep them inspired.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Romero shouldn't whine... he lost all credibility when he started making one bad game after another.

Good for both companies that they're appearantly looking forward to working together.