ZeniMax Planning New Prey?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
ZeniMax Planning New Prey?

Bethesda and id Software parent company ZeniMax Media now owns the rights to 3D Realms' Prey - could the company be looking to breathe new life into the FPS franchise?

Prey took some 11 years to come out, but at least it did. Another 3D Realms production, Duke Nukem Forever, well, we all know how that ended. Sadly Prey didn't make much of a splash among gamers, though it certainly wasn't for lack of trying. Do we forget that this Cherokee-mythology-inspired FPS had portals before Portal?

Well ZeniMax Media hasn't forgotten about Prey. The company, which is the parent company of big names like Bethesda and id, has swooped up the rights to the franchise from Radar Group, the brand management company headed by former 3D Realms staffer Scott Miller. Internet copyright supersleuth trademarks [http://supererogatory.tumblr.com/post/182700715/http-assignments-uspto-gov-assignments-q-db-tm-qt] filed by ZeniMax for Prey as well.

Which obviously begs the question: Is ZeniMax looking to make a new Prey game? Prey 2 already exists, in some form, having been announced last year as being in development over at Human Head Studios, who did the core work on what became the first Prey. So perhaps ZeniMax is just taking over the rights so that it can have one of its imprints publish Human Head's Prey 2, or maybe they're farming the entire franchise over to one of its companies.

Recent evidence [http://supererogatory.tumblr.com/post/155259797/as-far-as-i-go-i-work-for-human-head-studios] that Human Head landed a big contract for a "AAA" game with a publisher might suggest that the studio is indeed working on Prey 2, but who knows. I wouldn't mind seeing id develop a Prey game, that's for sure.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Cool!

Didn't like the old one too much but at least it was unique and very innovative

(Plus seeing children get impaled by huge machine things never gets old *evil laugh*)

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Well, let's hope it comes out at a reasonable space of time between the game when everyone hasn't lost interest in it.

Meemaimoh

Aug 20, 2009
Prey is one of my bargain bin purchases gathering dust in my room. I should really go pick that up, I think.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
"Sadly Prey didn't make much of a splash among gamers..."

Why the hell not? I played it and it was awesome!

OMG Cherokee! On no, aliens are abducting them! Oh no, The guns are alive! Oh no, the grenade is a three legged bug thing you tear the legs off to make explode! And then it turns out that you can walk on ceilings using the anti gravity floor stuff! and then you throw up! and you get a spirit bow to shoot aliens from the spirit realm! and then you go though a portal and tiny and a HUGE alien sees you and you're like OH SHI- and it comes though the portal but is normal sized so you kill it! And you kill a big thing by cutting off it's machine gun hand with a forcefield and using it's own hand to gun it down!

Spoilers of the ending ahead:
and there are native Americans who have been living on the big spaceship for AAAAAAGES, and you help them and they all die! and then WTF the aliens invade the Cherokee spirit world though portals! then HOLY FUCK you have to kill your girlfriend because she's been turned into a cyborg and is now shooting you with lasers while screaming for death!

Now tell me why that game was not recorded as the best game ever produced by mankind. I can't wait for another round of native american-anti-gravity-living gun FPS insanity.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
The game ended definitively. There really isn't much room in the story for a sequel without it being crowbarred in.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Proteus214 said:
The game ended definitively. There really isn't much room in the story for a sequel without it being crowbarred in.
no it didn't

i liked the game tho i had a few complaints about it. the death system was kinda neat and kinda made the game a bit too easy as well

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Proteus214 said:
Uh, no, not quite. Remember when...
that lady leading the Hiders appears from a portal when you're back at the bar
and tells you there is still work to be done? That looked like a pretty definitive promise of a sequel to me.

I quite liked Prey, though. At first it looks like a generic Doom/Quake-like shooter, and then you find out they make it all revolve around native American mythology and spirits and stuff, and you're like what the heck of a world is this?

Also: ALIENS INVADE THE AFTERLIFE

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I sincerely hope they make a second one! The first was amazing! Everything about it other than it being a first person shooter was (and still is) fairly unique in the FPS genre. I have no idea why it didn't make a huge impact...

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
GOOD. Prey was a unique game with a great premise and terrific ideas, even though it had terrible flaws in the shooter elements.

I should actually do a review of that, after Space Siege and GTA4 and Rock Band and...

Also, Prey did Portal before Portal.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Most messed up game Ive ever played. Seriously...I had to stop to register what I saw sometimes...
I had been waiting for Prey 2 since I beat Prey since its TOTALLY set up for a sequal.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'd be willing to give it a look, if they can this time not:

a) Do the "You can't get across, I wonder if there's a path in the spirit world HINT HINT" thing,

b) Predictably make things start attacking every damn time you throw a switch, change gravity, open a portal, etc.,

c) Have anything so buggeringly obviously cut off as the "And now you will undergo a series of trials to unlock your true spirit warrior potent- Oops, sorry, no, here's a life upgrade, you have to run now"

d) Confuse predictable and melodramatic tragedy for poignancy, particularly when the victims of that tragedy are the only things allegedly spurring your character to action.