Zeno Clash II Review - Lovably Absurd

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008

The closest you?ll ever get to having a fist fight in an art gallery.

Read Full Article

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Me and you aren't totally seeing eye to eye on this game, Grey, but that's totally okay. Granted, I'm only halfway through it, but simply having the areas opened up and fighting more enemies at once is insanely satisfying for a Zeno Clash fanboy like myself.

I think the first game was well served by playing like a museum tour, being guided from area to area and given just enough time to take it in and be astounded by it. Either way, I commend you for being critical and somewhat harsh with a game, regardless of the team's size or the "budget/indie" limitations. We can only help developers by pointing out faults, and refusing to coddle them because of their humble origins.

A game's success can be measured by whether or not it achieves its stated goals, and in places I can see lofty goals that weren't attained here, so I totally understand that point. My hope is that this game does well enough to justify a third for Atlus, allowing ACEteam to actually execute the "pie in the sky" vision they have for this series. In the end, good review, and I respect it. Not that what I say should mean much.

At_The_Gates

Feb 7, 2012
Some of the other reviews I've looked at mentioned some issues with bugs. How stable is the released version of the game?

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Loved the first one. It had some big flaws, too. So I doubt the flaws this time around will keep me away from the second one, either. ^^

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
TotalBiscuit is crusading against this game because the FOV wtfpwns him lol.

Prof.Beany

Apr 22, 2011
Ill probably pick this up at some point, but god damn my backlog is so huge right now...
kurupt87 said:
TotalBiscuit is crusading against this game because the FOV wtfpwns him lol.
He made a video telling people that the game has severe FOV issues because some people actually get a form of motion sickness with limited FOV's. Thats hardly crusading against it, more of a "buyer beware" type of thing.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Grey Carter said:

The closest you?ll ever get to having a fist fight in an art gallery.

Read Full Article
Ostensibly, you can use these skills to create combos, but there's no real creativity to be had here. All the combos are pre-defined, meaning you'll likely be using the same seven or so attack patterns throughout the game. The camera has a nasty habit of zooming in on enemies when you focus on them, meaning shorter opponents often end up throwing punches from outside your field of view. Imagine trying to box a midget, only you can't look down and he keeps throwing haymakers at your genitals. Not fun.
I played with auto-lock OFF.

It's no God Hand, but there's enough creativity in just the moves. I liked having to aim punches against some enemies. I used the counter kick A LOT against the Mountain Dwellers because the kick sends them flying, and then you can kick them off the cliff because they have plenty of health that you don't want to bother with. The enemies who block a lot, I just did the charged right hand strong attacks, or power moves. I didn't use the dodge+punch as much because I focused more on positioning to get the drop on them.

For the little Enforcers, I'd just sprint bash into them and get right up in their grill.

And then the secondary weapons are lifesavers for group combat.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
My favorite combo

Piledriver!

Fist of the North Zenozoik

At_The_Gates said:
Some of the other reviews I've looked at mentioned some issues with bugs. How stable is the released version of the game?
I didn't experience a single glitch or game-breaking bug. I've finished the game in 18 hours.

btw, I think this game is kakking amazing. This is still the best First Person Melee system ever. And it's the most imaginative world I've seen in a game since Neverhood. As a fan of Zeno Clash 1, I loved how the levels are opened up. This is a connected world now [http://i.minus.com/i9ONRftIAFTmq.jpg] [pic], you can fast travel from locations and if you're at a high enough place, you can see how the levels are laid out much like Alan Wake (a similarly connected world for a not-open world game). I can talk to NPCs, explore around and find little cubekeys for the Last Tomb or moths to get all those treasures in the Moth Collector's house.

The jawdropping environments, character designs, enemy variety, and an actual open world where hardly any assets are repeated, is ridiculous ambition that needs to be congratulated.

KAKKING BUY THIS GAME YOU TEF

Took a whole load of screenshots, here are some just for the scenery for only the first 6 hours (took me 18 hrs to finish):
Halstedom at night

Where you get the Golem Hand

Desert

Forgot what this place was, just full of Shadows and molten lava

Beach

Deeper Woods

Mhmh

Oct 12, 2012
Why aren't there video reviews being made anymore? :(
Reading through pages of text is kind of dry.