Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward Review

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward Review

Play it for the pun-loving psychopathic AI rabbit.

Read Full Article

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Haven't gotton to it yet(moving) but I'm really looking forward to playing it. 999 was the biggest suprise of the DS and I'm glad it got a sequel.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I really enjoyed 999. Kind of worried that the plot seems to get even more crazy, but that's not enough to stop me from getting this. And this is the first I've heard of the rabbit.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
I will say this: I enjoyed the story of 999 far more, but this has *way* more content and far better mechanics. The Flow feature alone is worth picking it up for, really. Genius way of both helping you keep track of and letting you navigate the branching storylines.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Game came in the mail today, will probably start playing it on the weekend or just late at night in general. Visual novels are just as good as books for that hour or two before bed :)

Glad to see it's been getting reviews, the demo had me interested. This, AC3L, and Ragnarok Odyssey tomorrow are going to keep my Vita occupied for a while.

WorriedSandwich

Nov 23, 2011
Damn, that's by far the harshest score this game has gotten yet (by 1.5 points IIRC). Review was sound, though, I can see why you arrived at that grade.

Ragnarok2kx

Nov 18, 2009
As good as this looks, I kinda wish they went with the original title idea, which I believe was "Good People Die"

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
WorriedSandwich said:
Damn, that's by far the harshest score this game has gotten yet (by 1.5 points IIRC). Review was sound, though, I can see why you arrived at that grade.
You know, this is such a wacky game that I can see a fair argument for giving it just about any score. You could just as easily argue it's terrible or brilliant. It's kind of both.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I really want to play both this and 999. Sadly, I don't have a 3DS. I plan on getting a 3DS XL in the coming future though.

WorriedSandwich

Nov 23, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
You know, this is such a wacky game that I can see a fair argument for giving it just about any score. You could just as easily argue it's terrible or brilliant. It's kind of both.
Yeah, the games in this franchise are a classic example of 'love it or hate it' games, which tend to be not that compatible with the classic 1-10 scoring system. At that point I imagine you can only deduct points based on the smaller objective flaws rather than the broader strokes.

I have to apologize though, my rampant fanboyism kicked in and forced this 'quick mention the general concescus of this game or else all these readers are not going to buy it' reaction on me, I didn't mean to discredit your opinion.

I haven't listened to the podcast in a while (new job shifts don't really allow for it :< ), but I believe I can submit this otter .gif as a get-out-of-jail-free card:

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
Could you put a note of the supported platform/s somewhere near the start? It's very frustrating when I fall in love while reading a review, only to realize there's no version for my preferred platform.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
I loved the first game, got every ending and it made the story even more enjoyable. The cast this time does look pretty colorful, I just hope their wacky attire doesn't make the scene of finding a knife in their back any less serious.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
No too sure about this game. I guess the only thing that has "zero" and "escape" in its name that I like is Zero Punctuation on the Escapist.
(badum tss)

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Well, I got a PS Vita for this title (...and Uncharted, Gravity Rush, and Corpse Party: Book of Shadows), so I've got rather high hopes for it.

Hopefully it'll be able to juggle colourful wacky surrealism with psychological horror, as it seems intent on. It's a fine line pulling it off, but perhaps a bit easier in VN form.

Not a fan of the 3D models though, strangely enough, they seem lifeless compared to 2D sprites. And the cost of animating them seem to limit the emotional range that can be visually expressed, an area where already the sprites were at times struggling to keep up with the script.

...Capcha: "Magical realism".

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Ragnarok2kx said:
As good as this looks, I kinda wish they went with the original title idea, which I believe was "Good People Die"
I actually enjoy the original title as well. It seems a bit eerie, which I enjoy

T_ConX

Mar 8, 2010
I am in love with this game! It's a Sci-Fi Murder Mystery that I have to keep plugging into a wall because of 3DS's battery life. I'm only four 'play-throughs' in, and it's been a complete narrative rollercoaster!

1) Phi: Sigma! Everyone except you and I are dead! Now figure out the Login info for this computer!
Sigma: I don't know! What's the deal with these lions eating the sun?
TO BE CONTINUED!

2) Clover: I'm a secret agent who's gone through this bullshit twice already! There's a drug that can counteract the stuff in our bracelets!
- 5 Minutes later -
Sigma: Oh no! Everyone killed themselves! It was probably that weird virus that we may or may not be quarantined for! I think I should kill myself!

3) Dio: We escaped! Now I'll tell you about how I'm an Elite Soldier for a suicide cult with plans for world domination!
Phi: Give me the code for the bomb or I'll smash your face in with this rock!
Dio: Okay!

4) Sigma: We're dying K!
K: If you ever see some lions eating the sun, remember this... MILKEVOLI...
Sigma takes of K's mask!
Sigma: OH MY GOD! It's ME!

And I'm only about a third of the way through!

One of these days, I'm going to get around to playing EVER17...