Zero Punctuation: 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Zero Punctuation: 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand

This week Zero Punctuation reviews a rapper shooting up the Middle East to find his prized jeweled skull in 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand.

Snor

Mar 17, 2009
Sylocat said:
Um... quadruple thread, or is something wrong with my comp?
no he is just marketing his own show...a lot :p

haha the end is brilliant

Nexus424

Master Of All That Is Frosty
Dec 26, 2008
Oh god that last part.

Other than that funny stuff. Loved the subliminal messages.

k_rafftry

Mar 5, 2008
Excellent. I like the idea that it's the prequel to CoD4. Maybe he's there as the same time, and fiddy is the one who sets off that big a-bomb... While rapping... about bitches...

SoupsMan

Apr 23, 2008
Oh Yahtzee, I hope you have donned your flame retardant suit, commenting on racial/social situations is always bad news. Nice subliminal picture there.

Though I must say, your ending leaves something, like the sentence needs to be fini

Ronwue

Oct 22, 2008
That was a bit more ranty than usual, and not towards the game. I don't hate rappers myself, but I'll never play that game... Maybe if someone payed me to do it.. but I'm sure even then I'd find a game that is better. Still... I didn't even know 50 Cent had a game... let alone two.

Garrig

Mar 11, 2009
Huh, at least I'm going to be one of the early ones. Hot damn, that was a good ZP, especially with the touches of pseudo-subliminal 'advertising'.

Though I have to wonder just which pub you had that picture taken, and just whom the bloke next to you was?

>.> And I swear, I heard you saying knickers, despite what the delicates are going to pop in here and whine about.

Priceless.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Hahahaha really funny, and amazing ending.
50 Cent games suck....Big surprise...
Seriously though, by expanding his view, I thought Yahztee would have meant talking about multiplayer and playing mainstream, big titles, like Resistance 2, or other large titles. AS much as I'm for laughs, it is kind of pointless reviewing a blatant turd of a game.
Good commentary on the rap mindset though.

MajWound

Mar 18, 2009
Hooray racism!

This is about what I've come to expect from Yahtzee...being absolutely right about everything that has to do with video games.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
i found this pretty humurous, i never expected anyone to take this game "seriously" i agree fully with you on the whole materialistic rap mecrob.

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
I think that was the best punchline in any ZP. Seriously, this is quite possible my favorite ZP now.

And I might just rent BoS.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Mazty said:
Seriously though, by expanding his view, I thought Yahztee would have meant talking about multiplayer and playing mainstream, big titles, like Resistance 2, or other large titles. AS much as I'm for laughs, it is kind of pointless reviewing a blatant turd of a game.
I think you completely miss out the point of his videos... or do you want to tell me you take them as serious reviews instead of just funny vids?

Anyways, didn't laugh about this one too much, but I liked it a lot.

kaziard

Oct 28, 2008
DangerousNewb said:
Yes yes, Hip Hop aint what it used to be.
i wasnt aware it was ever good... anywho that review was awesome, not laughed as hard at a ZP for a while now :p nice ending :)

Sargoto

Oct 22, 2008
I was rather shocked to see this is the game of this week, i had been going on about how terrible i think it is that someone who just has some money decides to buy a game because its a cheaper marketing gimmick then doing concerts or anything else.

I suppose the thing that really bothered me about this games release was, up until a few months ago there was no news at all coming out from the 50cent camp about anything. Granted i was not looking for it but typically when a raper or anyone else that is a celebrity is doing well they are everywhere.

Then with his release date fast approaching suddenly he was on stage at the spike video game awards doing a concert with screen shots from his upcoming game. Interviews talking about how he feels this game teaches the youths good morale values. As well as saying he did more for the development process then just saying, "some guy stole my skull, and i want it back."

At least now i know that it is a ridiculously bad game, that does not deserve the time of day. To you i say Bravo Yahtzee Croshaw Bravo.

Chiefwakka

Mar 18, 2009
This is definitely one of my favorite ZP's now. The subliminal messaging made the ending just that much more epic.

J.E.T.

Mar 9, 2009
The "not racist" picture that kept coming up through the video was funny, the ending was especially hilarious to me too lol.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Isn't this an hour earlier then usual... Also the only laughs I got were from the disclaimer about not being racist, and then about how "they wouldn't know anything about work the N". Still apart from that wasn't hugely funny in my mind. I think I have been desensitized to Yahtzee and all his jokes.

Northover32

Aug 29, 2008
<<<Not Racist haha took so long to pause it at the right time.

that last part was just like the southpark with Mr. Garrison when they scare all the black people out of town... haha if you've seen it you'll understand.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Actually, that game is not that terrible. It's not Half Life 2, but it's not Timeshift...

And even Yahtzee said so. You want mindless shooter - go ahead, try it. Unless you don't like 50 Cent, that is, you are intelligent.

Oh, the last part "Those lazy nig..." made me chuckle.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
SoupsMan said:
Oh Yahtzee, I hope you have donned your flame retardant suit, commenting on racial/social situations is always bad news. Nice subliminal picture there.

Though I must say, your ending leaves something, like the sentence needs to be fini
He is mocking 50 Cent on The Escapist. Few here are going to flame him I assure you.

soniccaraway

Nov 3, 2008
I truly don't get why he would even waste his time reviewing this game. I really don't understand him, he reams the crap out of games are that are either good or great, but he can play a mediocre game or even bad game like this that deserves it and he can only say two or three bad things about it. I think he needs to have written somewhere, something like what AVGN has, that he mainly focuses on the bad aspects of games and that he actually likes some of the games he bags on, because if he really feels exactly how he says he does in these videos, then what is he doing playing games?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Some how I get the subliminally influenced feeling that Yahtzee is not a racist. I wonder where that came from.

Also, I wonder if he'll actually catch any flack for that last little comment/non comment at the end.

It'll be funny to see if any controversy arises from it.

Duh

Feb 19, 2009
LOL "not that they would know anything about work, the lazy ni...*cut*"
yahtzee that killed be you racist bastard

i agree with the whole " only a world where you can make fun of anything without being annoyed by selfrigheous cheesy pricks (ie everyone on the escapist except me because im AWESOME) would be totaly unprejudiced" not that anyone would give shit

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
*collapses laughing* Brilliant, Yahtzee! Absolutely hilarious. Especially that end bit. And I like your CoD4 theory.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Gladion said:
Mazty said:
I think you completely miss out the point of his videos... or do you want to tell me you take them as serious reviews instead of just funny vids?

Anyways, didn't laugh about this one too much, but I liked it a lot.
It was a funny video, maybe one of the funniest, but much more to do about the rap ideals and very little about the game. The farcry 2 video and others mention gameplay much more, and reviewing a game which you can't really say is anything other then medicore in terms of gameplay seems a little pointless. Just after the last few reviews (skate, theif, spiderman), was hoping it may shed some light on a game worth looking at.

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
The end bit would have been funny had he not copied it straight from South Park.
Otherwise, very funny, maybe because I hate Fiddy so very much. Overall, Yahtzee's best in a while.

Gunrunner

Jul 20, 2008
I lol'ed at the ending, funny review, also why did 50 Cent want to make two games about him shooting people? Doesnt he do that enough in his songs..by songs i mean speaking really fast with music in the background xD

neuromasser

Jan 20, 2009
Yahtzee is not Racist, Yahtzee is not Racist, Yahtzee is not Racist... lol
Ending was especially funny, it made my day

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Good overall. Didn't give much information about the game itself (although on reflection there probably wasn't much of a game in the first place,) but all the other stuff made up for it.

Fronken

May 10, 2008
I cant watch the movie, as soon as i start it, a black screen pops up infront of it, and nothing happens, if i press the black screen i get redirected to the march mayhem thing, i dont care about that, i just wanna watch the damn video, but i cant make the advertisement go away >_<

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Fuck you lemonhead!

The bits with Yahtzee's subliminal pictures with that guy really reminds me of Father Ted ahh the old days.

Good episode

DoomBlackDragon

Sep 13, 2008
I must agrea The ending was making me laugh very hard. I felt like the old Yahtzee is back. I mean he even got his old rant back. I mean I loved the way Yahtzee rant on rebeling to accully reveiw a game but make the game something he can rant on. Finally middle of march but Yahtzee finally got his reviewing spirit back. Best video so far for the year.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
soniccaraway said:
I truly don't get why he would even waste his time reviewing this game. I really don't understand him, he reams the crap out of games are that are either good or great, but he can play a mediocre game or even bad game like this that deserves it and he can only say two or three bad things about it. I think he needs to have written somewhere, something like what AVGN has, that he mainly focuses on the bad aspects of games and that he actually likes some of the games he bags on, because if he really feels exactly how he says he does in these videos, then what is he doing playing games?
Uurrr what? The only good thing he said about this game was that the gameplay worked well...and then quickly said it got repetitive.

hairymammoth

Mar 18, 2009
There should be a 2 second break in the next video, so I can pause it and eat some toast. I'll email Yahtzee that suggestion.

By the way good video!

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
JPMotion said:
Pure ZP brilliance - the best in a long time :D
I know, Yahtzee is now back on his high horse : ).

Edit - He denied that picture being him on the Game Damage forums.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
Great review; much better than the last few. Go figure we see yet another cookie-cutter FPS based on a media icon. When are we going to get a Mickey Mouse game where you go around to theatres capturing people who are pirating movies? And yes MPAA, I now own the rights to that idea, and you bet your ass I'll toss a lawsuit at you if you even think of using it without paying me millions of dollars.

The social commentary was well argued. It's not that black people are retarded, it's that some people (black, white, or otherwise) are retarded and feel they need to boast about all of the illegal, immoral shit they purport to do on a regular basis.

That being said, if I had as much money as 50 Cent, I'd probably be drinking, fucking women, and boasting about it too.

Doitpow

Mar 18, 2009
wow everyone gets a little worked up when someone almost says the word n***** don't they? Its not really that funny, I get that it is used in an ironic way, and I respect Yahtzee for going there. but people snickering about a joke that basically goes 'oh have you noticed how lazy black people are' then saying oh i didn't really mean it is pretty base if you ask me.

caelloki

Dec 14, 2007
FUCKING HA! amazing, and glad Yahtzee is picking up some new material. best episode in a long time ^.^

hippo24

Apr 29, 2008
Silverwebsurfer said:
wow everyone gets a little worked up when someone almost says the word ****** don't they? Its not really that funny, I get that it is used in an ironic way, and I respect Yahtzee for going there. but people sniggering about a joke that basically goes 'oh have you noticed how lazy black people are' then saying oh i didn't really mean it is pretty base if you ask me.
Your treading on thin ice...
You dont have a sensationalist front to hide behind, but I really vould care less in ither scenario.

Fronken

May 10, 2008
EDIT: Ignore what i wrote, i managed to get the damn advertisement to play, i just had to restart Mozilla 5 times and reload the page 11 times...

Seriously though, the site is already spammed with March Mayhem, mind not putting it exacly everywhere?, some people dont care about it, and its annoying when you have to go through all that trouble just to watch the video Thanks to March Mayhem

BlackWatch

Feb 13, 2008
wonder how it feels to have the power to make so many people rewatch and pause for a subliminal joke ... the mans a legend

NOOBSAUCE

Feb 5, 2009
God that end was priceless, and its good to see that someone else thinks about rap the same way as me.

Overlord_Dave

Mar 2, 2009
Yahtzee's last couple of reviews weren't as funny as they should have been, but it's good to see he's back on form. And with social commentary too. What a mix.

Also, Fronken, I've got AdBlock plus and NoScript installed and it works fine with me...

Sir Isaac

Aug 24, 2007
mike1921 said:
"nig-" Classic.
Him insulting the politically correct was also great.
I think he was insulting racists with that line, otherwise it wouldn't be satire.

Duh

Feb 19, 2009
your subliminal propaganda about you not being racist only makes stronger my will to believe that you are an half british half australian KKK member that wears robes made of aligator skin, drink tea from cups made of *N word* skulls

MsDevin92

Nov 9, 2008
Oh man, I remember when moviebob first talked about 50 Cent Games on his Youtube channel and I was all, please tell me they do not really have an f-ing 50 Cent game. And then you reviewed it and I was like OMG because I knew it would be beating the piss out of two things I hate: popular rap and boring shooters based around pretending you're out slaughtering people from the Middle East.

Also, I loved your whole bit about what a blog sounds like, I kept imagining some sort of adorably ugly sea slug thing. <3

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
Is anyone else having troubles watching it? It keeps getting stuck on the adverts that show right before it plays.

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
Northover32 said:

that last part was just like the southpark with Mr. Garrison when they scare all the black people out of town... haha if you've seen it you'll understand.
I understand.

Good ZP, as always (for the 900th time this thread)

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Oh my, my, my. That was funny. My favorite parts, "unfunny soapbox bit" and "the lazy ni..."

Still, I think a diamond encrusted skull would be pretty kick ass to own

James Cassidy

Dec 4, 2008
Good review yahtzee.

One thing about this 50 cent game is that I hate this game. Not because of the gameplay or the game itself, but because Activision decided to publish this piece of crap rather than let Ghostbusters or Brutal Legends get published.

Greedy bastards of Activision.

Activision is a perfect example that Yahtzee just described in the video.

Activision has more money than anything thanks solely due to them owning Blizzard and World of Warcraft and they still want more. They sit here and say "we didn't publish such-and-such game because it won;t make money from sequels."

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Not bad, he stole the ending from South Park though.
Enjoyed this a lot more than previous ones.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
loved this one the subliminal images reminded me of cobert report in which the host would once in a while show himself with a hand on the shoulder of some black guy and giving the thumbs up to prove he isnt racist and then to top it all off pulling the south park style ending with the lazy ni... was priceless i enjoyed this one alot.

as for the game its self i am amazed at what good reviews this game is getting after how bad the last one was but i guess they got people this time that knew what they were doing when they made the game though sadly looking at your review they probably didnt have control of the content or it may have been even better.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
mokes310 said:
Is anyone else having troubles watching it? It keeps getting stuck on the adverts that show right before it plays.
It looks like there was a hiccup with the ad provider, it's being looked into right now. ;)

Doitpow

Mar 18, 2009
hippo24 said:
Silverwebsurfer said:
wow everyone gets a little worked up when someone almost says the word n***** don't they? Its not really that funny, I get that it is used in an ironic way, and I respect Yahtzee for going there. but people snickering about a joke that basically goes 'oh have you noticed how lazy black people are' then saying oh i didn't really mean it is pretty base if you ask me.
Your treading on thin ice...
You dont have a sensationalist front to hide behind, but I really vould care less in ither scenario.
you are right of course... You see my point though?
also for the record i thought the episode was fucking hilarious

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Sir Isaac said:
mike1921 said:
"nig-" Classic.
I think he was insulting racists with that line, otherwise it wouldn't be satire.
Politically correct, racist, same thing.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
That was totally worth the three browser restarts, several dozen ctrl+F5s and eventual cache clear that it took to get it to work.

Neesa

Jan 29, 2009
Oh the subliminal messages~ I had to pause it at the right time to see what it actually said. Made me giggle a little. Yes you're not racist.... Or is that at ploy to trick us? Oooh, that'd be a bit of a mind fuck. Hmm... -ponders on it-

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
thecaptainof said:
That was totally worth the three browser restarts, several dozen ctrl+F5s and eventual cache clear that it took to get it to work.
yeah, i have trouble to, to run his vids. sometimes it does not work at all.

great review. it is so clear that this kind of games are crap.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I think he played up that "not racist" "joke" a bit much, as well as the painfully obvious "punch l-" at the end.

Other than that, a fair review.

You fucking cr-!

D.C.

Oct 8, 2008
Is it just me or does the subliminal picture look like yahtzee's face has been photoshopped on there?

Rajin Cajun

Sep 12, 2008
OMFG I about fell out of my chair that was worth the time. Those lazy nig...oh god brilliant. xD

lornb

Jan 16, 2009
Awesome, at first the wrapping up part worried me because it was so rainbows and sunshine and unwashed dreaded people singing "We are the World" then it was Yahtzeed.
<3

Bruiser80

Feb 27, 2009
Sir Isaac said:
mike1921 said:
"nig-" Classic.
I think those were referring to two separate parts of the vid. The PC comment is referring to the lemon-head guy.

Very true though. How much would race be a factor if PC people weren't talking about it so much? I know racism is still around, but I think it's way less than PC people think it is.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
He made alot of excellent comments on the rap industry and political correctness in the same review...that's pretty impressive, excellent job, I enjoyed that Yahtzee actually got a little deep while still keeping the funny.

Kanashe

May 8, 2008
Hmmm...I don't know what to say. It was abit funny, but not a huge "OMG!!!THIS IS LOL!!! ROFL!!! YAHZTEE U IS GOD!!!!111" thin', it was a simple "Hehe...Yeah that's funny abit" thin'. Maybe it's just 'cause he picked the game, I mean it's a game that has 50 Cent in it, murderin' people because of some crystal made skull. It's already a joke as it is, you can't possibly make it even more funnier. It's like tryin' to make fun of an Uwe Boll movie, but they're so bad that there's just no point in it. The only people who would actually call this a game are 50 fans an morons who play GoW and Halo 24/7.

tiamat5

Aug 6, 2008
Another cheap shot. If Yahtzee has a problem with Killzone 2, why doesn't he just come up with a review and say it? This is the second time that he has mentioned Killzone 2 to promote crappy games like House of the Dead Overkill and 50 cents. What I don't get is why is it that well thought out, polished games always get so much scorn, while games that are sloppily done and stupid get praises just because they admit to being stupid.If someone came up to you and admitted that he was a retarded jackass, would it make him any less of one because he admitted it? So because House of the Dead Overkill cussed and crassed it's way to fame that means we should be giving it awards and praises. Lots of people work their asses of to make a game that is polished and well done only to have it ignored. Then some idiot comes also and makes some half-ass piece of garbage and gets praises for being stupid, brainless and violent. Gamer logic astounds me to no end.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Damn, I was looking forward to RE5 finally. Guess it hasn't come in Australia yet :´(

Pretty good, but Yahtzee spent too much time faffing about hiphop and how embarassing a culture it is. The idea of a CoD4 prequel was brilliant.

admiraljustin

Mar 18, 2009
All around another great review.

Games like this make me wonder how the marketing people actually think, they have to know that merely slapping 50 cent on a game won't make it worthwhile. Then again, marketing managers are only slightly more evolved than bridge trolls, so that may explain some of it.

Radu889

Dec 14, 2007
Nice ending : Then we can make a perfect world, but they don't know anything about work, the lazy nig-. Epic win. That bit should have had an orchestral song that filled the idea with beauty basically taking us to the beatiful world and then you drop the n bomb and we all laugh ourselves to tears.

ak82

Mar 6, 2009
Your only kidding yourself. I thought you were supposed to be reviewing games and not social groups. I dont really want to hear your opinion on hip-hop, and i am even less interested in hearing your opinions of black people.

I've never seen such a blatant attempt at someone trying to convince themselves, and the rest of the world that they are not a racist. If you weren't it wouldnt have been an issue, you wouldn't even have mentioned it, and you would have just reviewed the game, instead of spending 50% of the time talking about black people and how your not racist.

But the sheer fact that there was a 'stereo typical hip hop black person', on the cover made you go on a ridiculous rant. Why should it be embarassing that 50 cent got discovered by Eminem? Are you even listening to yourself?

Im all for fun and games, and i lol'd at the ending that was genuinely funny (though black people would prob not agree), but still. Stop kidding yourself, and go out and socialise and broaden your horizons.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
I'm loving the over the top plot for this game, contrary to what ZP said it does sound like the writers were taking the piss...

Gormers1

Apr 9, 2008
I was thinking "this will be interesting" when I saw what game it was. And it was. Great and hilarious review/video. Especially the ending like everyone says.

Kanashe

May 8, 2008
tiamat5 said:
Another cheap shot. If Yahtzee has a problem with Killzone 2, why doesn't he just come up with a review and say it? This is the second time that he has mentioned Killzone 2 to promote crappy games like House of the Dead Overkill and 50 cents. What I don't get is why is it that well thought out, polished games always get so much scorn, while games that are sloppily done and stupid get praises just because they admit to being stupid.If someone came up to you and admitted that he was a retarded jackass, would it make him any less of one because he admitted it? So because House of the Dead Overkill cussed and crassed it's way to fame that means we should be giving it awards and praises. Lots of people work their asses of to make a game that is polished and well done only to have it ignored. Then some idiot comes also and makes some half-ass piece of garbage and gets praises for being stupid, brainless and violent. Gamer logic astounds me to no end.
I think the main problem is he say's somethin' bout Killzone 2, the people who actually like it will call him a hack. Wich won't be to far from the truth, I guess his main idea is to piss off Killzone 2 fans just like he did with MGS fans, SSBB fans, Sonic fans etc. As for the crappy games getting better medals, well I guess it's either two things: 1. The less the game has you thinkin' the better Yahtzee belives it is or 2. The shittier the game is, the less he can ***** bout it, over hype the good points an then turn to a good game an bash the shit out of it.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Northover32 said:

I thought that when he said it :p I thought that was particularly daring of Yahtzee ^^

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
My inner pollitically correct nagging ***** was made extremely confused, and is now hitting her head on the inside of my skull...

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
The whole thing was funny, but that ending just made it hilarious. You don't need me to say good work, but damn, I'm still laughing about that last bit.

And everyone who is on the edge about the ending...get over it, honestly, hes just making a joke.

tijuanatim

Sep 24, 2008
I'm sure this is about 90% of the posts before me but damn, the last 10 seconds of the video had me in tears.

Vesper24503

Feb 25, 2009
Blood in the Sand is actually a good game, even more so than Gears of War because the controls handle so much more smoothly. The game doesn't take itself too seriously, neither should people who play the game.

chenry

Oct 31, 2007
I can't say anything that hasn't already been said, so I'll just say BRAVO and leave it at that.

Lord Doom

Aug 7, 2008
I loved the cut off at the end. Best joke ever. Also, loved the subliminal message that kept popping up.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
ak82 said:
Your only kidding yourself. I thought you were supposed to be reviewing games and not social groups. I dont really want to hear your opinion on hip-hop, and i am even less interested in hearing your opinions of black people.

I've never seen such a blatant attempt at someone trying to convince themselves, and the rest of the world that they are not a racist. If you weren't it wouldnt have been an issue, you wouldn't even have mentioned it, and you would have just reviewed the game, instead of spending 50% of the time talking about black people and how your not racist.

But the sheer fact that there was a 'stereo typical hip hop black person', on the cover made you go on a ridiculous rant. Why should it be embarassing that 50 cent got discovered by Eminem? Are you even listening to yourself?

Im all for fun and games, and i lol'd at the ending that was genuinely funny (though black people would prob not agree), but still. Stop kidding yourself, and go out and socialise and broaden your horizons.
Obvious troll is obvious.

Black people have a different sense of humour now do they? Racist!

Arcyde

Nov 16, 2008
What a heartwarming picture of yahtzee.

One of my favourite reviews so far.

Dom541

Oct 20, 2008
you look wrecked in your "im not racist" pic

nice review, but bad game.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
tiamat5 said:
Lower budget games, like Blood on the Sand here, that don't take themselves seriously are being more honest than big name games that think they're the second coming of Christ. Games like Killzone 2, Halo X, etc. all proclaim themselves 'art' before they're out the door and then turn out to be ho-hum, or at least not as great as promised. When a game doesn't get a lot of hype and doesn't pretend to claim to be 'art' but turns out to be fun it wins me over way more than an epic story filled with 'interesting' characters and excellent gameplay. A flawed game that admits its flaws is infinitely cooler than a game like Killzone, Halo, or Half-life.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Must... destroy... mankind... ah, wait that's another subliminal message I recieved earlier today. Sorry about that.

OblivionWolf

Nov 11, 2008
Nice one. Better stay out of places like New York and LA for a few weeks anyway though. Angry people there seem to want to get violent just about anytime anyone notices them. Though I don't see any of the ones stupid enough to think that was racist having enough money for a flight to Australia, so you should be ok.

I Mav I

May 7, 2008
tiamat5 said:
The reason why he doesnt review it is too piss people like you off...im not joking, Yahtzee is possibly giggling with glee evertime someone posts something like this...

Trentdaddy

Mar 18, 2009
As a unemployed black gamer in this tough, hard to find a job economy, I'm severely offended by the comments mentioned at the end of the video.

I'm so kidding, it was funny (but risky....thought it isn't like he did this at the Apollo)

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
SoupsMan said:

Oh bug off!First of all, Yahtzee doesnt respond to posts commenting on his videos, so you chances of talking to him on this site are about 1 in a jazillion,and, he usually doesnt give a fuck what we say, as every person who doesnt like ethnic commenting should.

Logicality

Feb 8, 2008
My goodness! It's like he was saying what I was thinking when it comes to hip hop! Too hilarious!

UncleScar

Hakuna Matata Bitches!
Oct 26, 2008
As has been said already, loved the last sentence, but I also loved the social comments and the irony that's been so well highlighted.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
I'm so glad that Yahtzee could further stereotypes about hip-hop so that people can continue to ignore the fact there is very good rap out there. Yes 50 Cent is perpetuating stereotypes and his music and lyricism are less than desirable but for all of Yahtzee's awareness about racial issues he fails to see this is only about 50% of rap.

OwenEdwards

Mar 19, 2008
Well obviously the view on rap was a bit ignorant and restricted to a particular brand of commercial material, but other than that, funny stuff.

trelloskilos

Mar 11, 2009
The very last line was a bit of a risk, but it made me laugh! Yahtzee's well & truly on form with this review.

(also not racist!)

SoupsMan

Apr 23, 2008
mike1921 said:
"nig-" Classic.
No, he never got the g in there. If I had to guess, in order to play it safe(if yahtzee has ever done such a thing), he probably used the word nihilist. But then again, I can't read minds.

GOATOFRAGE

Jun 20, 2008
Yahtzee please stop beating on killzone in reviews of other games
but i have to admit last line was legendary

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
The end was by far the best!
I'm getting the feeling that Yahtzee is trying to avoid KZ2.
I know he did a mini "review" in his last one but I believe that he's just avoiding a game he might actually like.
I could be wrong...

Illuminatis

Oct 3, 2007
HA, man that was a good review, had me laughing quite a bit. Nice job.

On a side note review Madworld next, great game.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
The end was the funniest thing on Zero Punctuation yet. I'm literally crying with laughter. Absolute genius.

Also, nice little touch putting Damien Hurst's skull in there. That's the first thing I thought of when I heard about this game.

HadesWTF

Jun 4, 2008
Damn Yahtzee! I was rolling in the hilarity.

I'm really looking forward to your review of Resident Evil 5. Even though its a good game I can see your "Nothing has changed" video coming from miles away.

I'm also looking forward to Madworld, but I realize you Aussie's are getting the short end of the stick and have to wait a few extra weeks. But hey. America has to wait extra months for Fatal Frame 4.

Grim-aces

Mar 11, 2009
Great video, but come on reviewing a 50 cent game really. It saddens me that there hasn't been a decent game released in a while, it's like game developers have just stopped trying.
The last game that I truly enjoyed was Penny arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness episodes 1 and 2. Yes a downloadable game is better then practically every release in the past six months. If any of you are a game designer for a major game company reading this hang your head in shame you worthless piece of human waste.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
This is the first time Yahtzee has done something on the edge and off the cuff for a long time. Just when ZP was becoming standard and mundane, Yahtzee steps away from bashing Video games and instead makes a seocial political statement against political correctness with the perfect set up, delivery and punch.

I genuinely laughed and felt bad for doing so... thank you!

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
The last bit caused me to just roll on the floor laughing. Great job!

I loved the flashes of you in it too and agree that having to specify that you aren't racist is just insane.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
The joke at the end was extremely predictable. What was so funny about it? It was more pointless than an episode of The Simpsons.

"I'm not racist, I'm not racist, I'm not racist!" *Gasp* 'twas a fake out. I never would've guessed.

Aanorith

Mar 17, 2009
It's nice to have something fun to look forward to every wednesday.
As always, he put a smile on my face.

Kazturkey

Mar 1, 2009
Ah, good old fashioned non-racism that is mistakenly percieved as racism because you're talking about a black guy. The nostalgia. We love you Ben.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Excellent vid, like the attempt to subconsciously remind us you're not racist ;) (see the inserted stills that flick across the screen at various points if you missed them somehow).

HalcyonUpperSix

Mar 18, 2009
Ahhhh, that was good.

I would even go so far as to say 'Classic Yahtzee'.

I loved the first stuff, then it kinda went downhill a bit, but this is a shining gem, one of the funniest bits I've seen him do :D

Bravo :)

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
there'll be some fuss over the 'ni-' bit to be sure! great review though lol

Archereus

Aug 18, 2008
this was a smart episode. It wasn't overly funny right until the very last 2 seconds, i wonder what would have happened if he didn't cut himself off in the video?

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
I see what you did thar. Can't help but think Yahtzee -is- racist because of the subliminal messages and the interrupted "n*****" phrase in the end.

Vicioussama

Jun 5, 2008
DangerousNewb said:
nah, it's just as bad. Almost all rap and hip hop is shit. Too bad people are too stupid to realize it (and no I'm not racist, cause if I hated all black music I'd hate blues, bebop, jazz, and a ton of other stuff which I find great)

DangerousNewb

Mar 1, 2009
Sorry, I meant only Alternative Hip Hop and Jazz Rap is good, Fuck Mainstream rappers and Hip Hop artists like 50 Cents :]

theklng

May 1, 2008
Mazty said:
he already reviewed gears of war 2, so for him reviewing killzone 2/resistance 2/any other generic shooter would be pretty pointless. at least in his way of thinking.

Goldbling

Nov 21, 2008
kaziard said:
DangerousNewb said:
i wasnt aware it was ever good... anywho that review was awesome, not laughed as hard at a ZP for a while now :p nice ending :)
Har har har, I hate when people talk about rap music then wonder why a black kid beats them up... seriously you dont see me going around talking about rock or country or whatever you listin to

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
way to paint a huge bullseye on your forehead for every minority rights group (strangely containing everyone who's NOT in that minority) to shoot at, I'm quite frankly oddly alienated in the way you presented that, it made me sort of angry but the tragic twist is that you're for the most part right... and it would be a better world without minority groups sponsored by everyone who's scared of being called racist homophobic or otherwise words that make them seem unlikable. They keep on whining about the smallest things that you start to think they are just doing it so they keep a paycheck

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
hsb said:
I lol'ed at the ending, funny review, also why did 50 Cent want to make two games about him shooting people? Doesnt he do that enough in his songs..by songs i mean speaking really fast with music in the background xD
You mean lip singing really fast with someone else speaking and music in the background? Seriously a lot of the artists (really stretching the term for a lot of people) lipsing.

kaziard

Oct 28, 2008
Goldbling said:
kaziard said:
DangerousNewb said:
Har har har, I hate when people talk about rap music then wonder why a black kid beats them up... seriously you dont see me going around talking about rock or country or whatever you listin to
ok well that was an interesting post 1. i dont need to wonder why i got beaten up seeing as i dont get into fights of trivial differences between peoples tastes 2. why would it be "a black kid" last time i looked any music could be enjoyed by anyone quit beeing ignorant 3. feel free to speak yer mind about metal im not insecure enough to be riled by any insults against it and last dont be so sensitive

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
DarkSaber said:
Kukul said:
Mr Garrison did that first, but I still laughed hard.
As a matter of fact, it's from the British sitcom Father Ted.
Which in turn probably drew inspiration for that joke from Blazing Saddles.

"The Sheriff is a Ni"DONG!

It's still funny though, no matter where the original inspiration came from.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
theklng said:
Mazty said:
he already reviewed gears of war 2, so for him reviewing killzone 2/resistance 2/any other generic shooter would be pretty pointless. at least in his way of thinking.
GoW2 is a TPS, those other games are FPS'. Saying if he's reviewed one he's reviewed them all is saying if he's reviewed a mainstream game, he's reviewed them all, which just isn't true.

Russian Redneck

Apr 21, 2008
I haven't laughed this hard at a ZP review for a long time. Most of the time I politely chuckle at the clever animations, side-jokes, and ridiculous metaphors but this time I literally fell out of my chair laughing (note: I did not actually fall out of my chair). The final credits snippet was also clever: "Barack Obama probably likes 50 Cent since he's always talking about 'change'". Oh Yahtzee~

cyrad

Dec 24, 2008
Nice. You're quite right about the parts you were serious about. If people just learned to reflect and laugh about themselves occasionally rather than worry whether every little unsavory comment is motivated by racism, the world would be a better place.

I don't know much about 50 Cent, but every piece of media about him leaves an impression on me that it's just a massive childish ego trip. The media has him playing as HIMSELF that supposed to make him look like a hero when he's just a rapper. Sure, Chuck Norris was pretty egotistical with Walker Texas Ranger but at least he was playing a CHARACTER, not as himself, and Chuck Norris is an expert martial artist. Besides, his highly goal oriented attitude and personal code for having faith in others makes him a good role model. What kind of role model 50 Cent trying to convey? Make a bunch of foul mouthed music while showing off you can shoot unarmed people and become rich, highly materialistic snob?

Plus, anyone get the impression that 50 Cent contracted THQ to make these games for only himself and not others to play?

Connors M.C

Jul 3, 2008
Like how your hugging a man of a diffrent race (can't say which race it is in fear of being clamed wrong/racist) it does push the point home just that little bit extra.

Mr0llivand3r

Aug 10, 2008
HAHAHAH OH NO HE DI-INT!!!

that was a great one. :)

please let there be at least one black person who gets generally offended by this review... PLEASE!!!

it would only make the "Not Racist" subliminal messages in the review all the more funny

Mr0llivand3r

Aug 10, 2008
hopeneverdies said:
hsb said:
You mean lip singing really fast with someone else speaking and music in the background? Seriously a lot of the artists (really stretching the term for a lot of people) lipsing.
i think you mean lip "syncing", but it's all the same difference

goldsphinxxx

Mar 16, 2009
AHAHAHAAH you have got to be kidding me! This is going to be such a one sided review. It was obvious and hilarious that after 50 cent the movie the game came out (which was also obvious and hilarious) that they would have to release another one. Problem is, is that the 50 cent fanboy well has run a little dry, however they will find some salvation at the fact that achievement cravers, REVIEWERS looking for an easy review (teehee) and people who just want to laugh and gawk at the game will accompany the fanboy's purchases so maybe this game might actually sell.

Note: I still am looking forward to watching this review because all of your reviews are random, spunky and fun to watch.

Mr0llivand3r

Aug 10, 2008
archwiccan said:
this was a smart episode. It wasn't overly funny right until the very last 2 seconds, i wonder what would have happened if he didn't cut himself off in the video?
yeah but don't forget that in the "Uncharted" review there was a character wearing an "I Hate N*****s" billboard for a shirt

thelaughingman

Feb 4, 2009
Mr0llivand3r said:
archwiccan said:
yeah but don't forget that in the "Uncharted" review there was a character wearing an "I Hate N*****s" billboard for a shirt
True, but I think that was meant to be a reference to Die Hard with a Vengence

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
kaziard said:
Goldbling said:
kaziard said:
DangerousNewb said:
ok well that was an interesting post 1. i dont need to wonder why i got beaten up seeing as i dont get into fights of trivial differences between peoples tastes 2. why would it be "a black kid" last time i looked any music could be enjoyed by anyone quit beeing ignorant 3. feel free to speak yer mind about metal im not insecure enough to be riled by any insults against it and last dont be so sensitive
Being a bystander in this exchange, I have to say:

I -do- agree that alternative rap/hip-hop is actually very good, and requires a lot of talent and writing-skill. See, this is how I would've phrased a counter-argument here. However, eh..."Goldbling" here (note the irony, with the username?) is only really (unfortunately) reinforcing the stereotypes that he shouldn't be.

1. Reinforcing the stereotype that Black people beat others up
2. Reinforcing that Blacks deploy reverse racism against Whites
3. Reinforcing that they are less educated, and more likely to react violently to things they don't like

When I was at University, I dormed with Black suitemates, and they were -anything- but these stereotypes here. They also shared with me the beauty of alternative hip-hop which requires so much more thought than the mainstream crud that's on the radio/TV.

So no. Just no

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
Hehehehe very funny, excellently executed, and genuinely the most epic thing this week as far. Really great review, the end had me in stitches.

How long will the asinine internet arguments last this time? 500 posts, 1000 posts or will it beat SSBB and reach 2000 posts. The race for utter inanity is on. Release the velociraptors!

Heh, RAPtors.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
I think Yahtzee's comments about this games are true for the hip-hop genre as a whole, it's not the product itself, but the attitude taken towards creating it that makes so musch of it a waste of time.

I spent so much time trying to read those subliminal messages. Very funny.

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
SoupsMan said:

Yeah, it was almost like he said Candlejack or something.

The subliminal messages were hilari

AndresCL

Feb 2, 2009
The ending was just priceless, it also reminds me of "The Sopranos"

This just made my day, great video Yahtzee

P.S: I always need to pause the video so i can read the finl comments on it
P.S: Still, i think i forgot someth...

That Bastard Tony

Mar 18, 2009
I knew in the back of my mind that if you reviewed this game this would happen.

I'm black (like that can be verified online but who cares) and I found the review funny as hell. I bought the game on day 1 because (1) I am a Fiffy fan and (2) the game got good reviews practically across the board. Right now, it is one of my favorite games because of the gameplay, the online co-op and the attitude. Seriously, the story alone is so ridiculous that there is no other way you can take it except as comedy and the in-game scenarios have been the only time that I've ever laughed out loud while playing a game. The game isn't obviously for everyone, but it is still better than most movie tie-ins.

Keep up the great work Ben and don't let anybody (black, white or ChiaPet) keep you from speaking your mind.

Anaphyis

Jun 17, 2008
GuerrillaClock said:
The end bit would have been funny had he not copied it straight from South Park.
Otherwise, very funny, maybe because I hate Fiddy so very much. Overall, Yahtzee's best in a while.
So? He made a joke that happened to be in a 8 year old episode of Southpark. Holy shit, call the police. You sure have a humorless life if a joke is only funny once, probably stopped laughing after the 4th grade. My condolences.

Parallel Streaks

Jan 16, 2008
Well for some reason I feel like apologizing for my homophobia comment last week, I guess I took it too seriously. Not that you know, because you never read these threads, and I can't blame you. :)

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Cool, after those last few ones I was worried you were losing a bit of your edge.

But this was pure brilliance. There were so many things going on at once at any one moment it was hard to keep track of it all. This one definitely needs to be watched more than once for full effect.

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
Anaphyis said:
GuerrillaClock said:
So? He made a joke that happened to be in a 8 year old episode of Southpark. Holy shit, call the police. You sure have a humorless life if a joke is only funny once, probably stopped laughing after the 4th grade. My condolences.
Didn't realise I'd poked the proverbial hornets' nest of fanboys with a throwaway comment. I made a point, then moved on. It was barely even a criticism. Grow up. Yahtzee doesn't need defending by anyone, least of all by whiny fanboys throwing a tantrum. You sure must have a painful life if you cry at anyone who dares to go against your almighty opinion.
My condolences.

Goldbling

Nov 21, 2008
kaziard said:
Goldbling said:
kaziard said:
DangerousNewb said:
I'm not sensitive, but when you 1,000,000 people telling you that one of your favorite genres sucks it gets really annoying, and it gets even more annoying when I tell people I also like classical and Techo(and all sub-genres of Techno)becuse then they tell me I'm just trying to fit in with everyone. Here is the thing, I like almost every genre of music with two exeptions, country and scremo/grindcore or anything that sounds like it.

versusterminus7

Mar 9, 2009
Funny stuff. It does seem kind of masturbatory, when you think about it. Seems like a lot of games nowadays are doing it for graphic images/gore/shock value. Whatever happened to story?

I R A RITER

kaziard

Oct 28, 2008
Goldbling said:
I'm not sensitive, but when you 1,000,000 people telling you that one of your favorite genres sucks it gets really annoying, and it gets even more annoying when I tell people I also like classical and Techo(and all sub-genres of Techno)becuse then they tell me I'm just trying to fit in with everyone. Here is the thing, I like almost every genre of music with two exeptions, country and scremo/grindcore or anything that sounds like it.
dude i get plenty of stick over my choice in metal though its easy enough to just plug the ear phones in and smile, i am liking this polar opposite though, i r for teh screaming (but definately not screamo damn emo music ruins screaming :mad:) and the only stuf i dislike is tha rap dance nd techno.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
soo funny i almost wet myself,

"Not that they'd know anything about work the lazy nigg-" First one to finish that sentence is called racist

CuriousLemur

Mar 18, 2009
Pretty good review. Still not planning on getting this game. I think my pure frustration about 50 cent and what he stands for would make me through my 360 through the window...

...don't want to buy another one

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
You're so racist... *twitch* OH YOU'RE SO NOT RACIST... what the hell just happened?

I knew this would more of a commetry on rap and 50 cent than the game itself which is why of course I was very quick to watch this one... and it was great!

El_Chubba_Chubba

Mar 13, 2009
I dont know why, but i have the strange feeling that hes not rascist??? anyway i remember seeing a interview on the tele-o-vision with 50 cent talking about the game, and im pretty sure he said that whenever he has any ideas for the game the developers are happy to listen :0????? omg plz say they just nod and forget.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
Is it just me or are these reviews getting too revolutionary? I mean, if Yahtzee wants us to lead an antisystemic war, he can just ask us :D

Although, awesome racist joke compilation, and good review altogether

Goldbling

Nov 21, 2008
kaziard said:
Goldbling said:
dude i get plenty of stick over my choice in metal though its easy enough to just plug the ear phones in and smile, i am liking this polar opposite though, i r for teh screaming (but definately not screamo damn emo music ruins screaming :mad:) and the only stuf i dislike is tha rap dance nd techno.
Wich is usually how it is, I accept the fact that I can't change peoples opinion of rap, even though I think there are some songs that people might like

El_Chubba_Chubba

Mar 13, 2009
I think the sentence is "........the lazy niggards" niggard is a person who begrudes spending or giving away. Now i dont think im rascist.

tustin2121

Dec 24, 2008
This was the most I laughed at any ZP in a long long long time. I couldn't stop through out the video and the ending just blew me to the floor (though I couldn't help remembering a certain South Park episode). :D :D :D :D :D :D

12/10!!!

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
If you want a lot of racist black white jokes play madworld. There is a black pimp and a white ***** which "spoilers"...

Ah, the game is black and white too...

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Im the sort of guy that finds things amusing but doesnt really laugh, preferring to smile.

the end made me laugh. Alot.

BIGpanda

Jan 13, 2009
I feel akward since I just finished listening to "my buddy" while watching this review supplement. Is it wrong for someone who's barely sane to induldge in musical lyrics that express genocide and violence and sex?

well whatever, great review none the less.

UltraBlumpkin

Aug 1, 2008
Finally, a funny video. The last couple were quite disappointing. I was beginning to think he lost his touch.

Supernaut565

Mar 18, 2009
This game has been getting alot of good reviews but I refuse to buy because it would just be feeding 50 cents ego. Also the words cover system and 50 cent make me laugh the guys been shot like 9 times.

Mr Nathan

Sep 13, 2008
The whole thing was great but the ending was the best ending I can find in all of the zero punctuation collection.

I laughed my kidneys out, not even kidding, I am going to die in a couple of minutes.