Zero Punctuation: Awards for 2008

Erdie

Jan 8, 2009
That feeling you got at the end of Prince of Persia was exactly what you were supposed to feel. I loved it, and I loved both the characters. Cannot wait for the next entry.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Well, I never thought I'll ever say this at a ZP video, but...

...this was a total waste of time. Durr.

First a clipshow, a lackluster PoP review, and now this? Jahtzee, at least make it look like you are trying, man. I really hope the rest of the 2009 videos will be at least as enjoyable as the others were in 2008 and 2007. A long vacation perhaps?

Epictank of Wintown

Jan 8, 2009
Okay, seriously, you people want to know what Yahtzee hasn't reviewed Call of Duty 5? I'll tell you why.

It's exactly the same as Call of Duty 4. That's why. Treyarch were too scared to try something new with the series because they knew fans would ***** (and fans bitched anyway), so nothing has changed. At all.

At any rate, I don't mind Yahtzee doing things like this. You really expect one man to give you one review each and every week? For free? Wow, seriously. X-Play only does two or three reviews a week, and they have a full staff working for them. You get a half a dozen or a dozen reviews from gaming magazines a month, and THEY have a full staff working for THEM, too. So quit bitching and enjoy the fun. Plus, I love the theme music.

Now! As for the video itself. It wasn't really laugh worthy, but I chuckled a few times and grinned all the way through it. The only game I can really comment on is Saints Row 2, which is just as fun and entertaining as Yahtzee says it is. Anyone who hasn't played it definitely should.

Looking forward to next week, Yahtzee.

intergral

Dec 18, 2008
Meh. 2008 was shit as far as creativity in gaming goes. (Although, I am enjoying the crap out of Fallout 3) What can be said? The gaming industry has turned into the snot nosed, bastard child of the movie industry and is now cranking out crap meant for a 'broader' audience.

Here's hoping 2009 is at least marginally better!

Rolling 20

Jan 1, 2009
Dabamash said:
Not bad, but I prefer game reviews. It's quite dissapointing when there isn't a proper review after waiting a week.
I do kind of agree with that, especially after promising to review some of the one's he missed for this year (i.e. Gears of War 2, which i'm surprised he didn't review despite how much he appears to hate the series). None-the-less, I greatly enjoyed this review. Especially his parting shot with Tomb Raider.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
intergral said:
Meh. 2008 was shit as far as creativity in gaming goes. (Although, I am enjoying the crap out of Fallout 3) What can be said? The gaming industry has turned into the snot nosed, bastard child of the movie industry and is now cranking out crap meant for a 'broader' audience.
I don't know about that. If you only look at the pool of AAA titles, sure, but there were also a lot of games like Megaman 9, World of Goo, Braid and Trials 2 released that are were pretty much aimed squarely at the long time gamers. They just weren't the big budget games with huge advertisement budget.

I admit I actually had more fun with smaller budget titles (the ones listed above) than I did with games like GTAIV, but that's really just me.

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
Fun, but I was rather hoping to see Yahtzee take on LPB. Especially as it is one of those games that is getting mountains of praise and adulation.

Admittedly, it DESERVES all the praise and adulation, but that never stopped him reviewing Call of Duty 4.

Lightnr

Jan 8, 2009
thermo1 said:
EA will probably make itself a trophy!
Hey heyyyy we shouldn't desire the demise of one of the most prominent game publishers that has published plenty of great games. With out EA the gaming industry would just be Activision/Blizzard and a bunch of garage made unpolished game studios.

Some great EA games I can think of (that yahtzee should review): Crysis: Warhead, Mass Effect, Red Alert 3, Fifa 09.

Or3dinator

Dec 25, 2008
A few points on this episode, some mentioned already:

1) Disappointment for it not being an actual review, still quite enjoyable I guess
2) All in all awards were fair and point made valid, however
3) I think I speak for a lot of ppl when I say that the theme zp music is too damn frustrating unless killing stuff is your thing!

Shouldnt all request for Yahtzee to go back to using appropriate tunes depending on the game he reviews/topic?

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
I really disagree with Yahtzee on Mirrors Edge. Of course it has some quite major flaws in the level design, and controls but I don't think it was of poor quality. It was a refreshing title that managed FPS platforming amazingly well and had some great set pieces.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
commodoryhori said:
I prefer Gta4, i enjoy Saints row 2 alot, Yahtzees only reviews i really trust.
I take Yahtzee's reviews with a barrel full of salt. They're generally too sort and don't cover many of the aspects of the game for me to take them seriously. I enjoy him ripping on games but I'm often not in agreement with him over the criticisms.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
beddo said:
I really disagree with Yahtzee on Mirrors Edge. Of course it has some quite major flaws in the level design, and controls but I don't think it was of poor quality. It was a refreshing title that managed FPS platforming amazingly well and had some great set pieces.
Same here. I have strong objections to some of the level design[sup]*[/sup], and the story was on the trite side, but Mirror's Edge was a lot of fun even in the frustrating bits and it captured the same feeling of motion that Crackdown did. Heck, the game even encourages speed runs making it that little bit more replayable...

I respect Yahtzee as an entertainer, but he's looking at games in a completely different manner than I do and if I went by his reviews I'd have missed a LOT of games that I enjoyed greatly.

-- Steve

[sup]*[/sup]Much the same objections as I had with Psychonaut's "Meat Circus" level, come to think of it, and I enjoyed both. Whereas Ben only liked one...

Optimus24

Jan 8, 2009
GodOfTongs said:
I've never really understood how everyone can go along with this. Ok, Yahtzee is just as funny as ever, but both GTA4 and MGS4 are great games.

His videos are great but how can you take his opinion seriously. He disagrees with absolutely everyone. His nomination for worst game of the year got almost strait 10's down the line. Ridiculous.

If you take a look on online forums you`ll see that alot of people think the scores of GTA4 are bought. Me personally couldnt agree more, I think alot of sites didnt play it thouruly enought to rate it. GTA4 is a beautifull game, but when you consider how they guttet the GTA franchise compared to the GTA3 series in gameplay elements no one can seriously give it a close to perfect score, this is a sequel. Even Yahtzee admits it in this review, he kinda liked the game when it was released. Its a beautiful and cinematic game, but they took away most of the fun parts about it. I would understand if they cut down a little to give room for the improved graphics and more lively city streets, but they compleatly guttet it. Saints Row 2 became what GTA4 was supposed to be for me, short and simple:_FUN_! Not as big as GTA:SA but just as fun! What Im missing, but Im forgiving Saints Row 2 for at the moment is bigger and more varied landscape like in GTA:SA. Everything Saints Row 2 gets beaten down for are just the same things the entire GTA3 series got beaten down for: Bad graphics, sloppy camera, bad driving physics and so on. As with the GTA3 series, if this was forgiven you got an amazingly entertaining sandbox game!

I disagree with some of Yahtzee`s reviews, but it all boils down to personal preference. I understand his (and tons of other peoples) dislike of MGS4, even though I personally hold it as one of my own last years GOTY candidates.

fallen1

Dec 22, 2008
Lightnr said:
thermo1 said:
EA will probably make itself a trophy!
Hey heyyyy we shouldn't desire the demise of one of the most prominent game publishers that has published plenty of great games. With out EA the gaming industry would just be Activision/Blizzard and a bunch of garage made unpolished game studios.

Some great EA games I can think of (that yahtzee should review): Crysis: Warhead, Mass Effect, Red Alert 3, Fifa 09.
Yahtzee has already reviewed one of the games you said, but he did review Crysis

Crysis
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/21-Crysis

Mass Effect
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/18-Mass-Effect

As for Fifa 09, Yathzee has not reviewed a single sports game yet and I don't think he will anytime soon. Reviewing sports games for him would probably be boring and I really don't think you will get many laughs from it. There just is not enough variety from any of the sports games to be able to get a good review from them. Take ball and score points, that's all. I know you could argue that some games are the same that he does, but every year a new Fifa, Madden, or NCAA gets released w/like one new thing and nothing much has changed. He sticks mainly to RPG's, FPS's, and big name titles that come out. I can say that at first I thought maybe Yahtzee just didn't like EA and that's why he rags on them, but I have played Mirror's Edge and Mass Effect by them and I now see why he doesn't like most of their games.

fallen1

Dec 22, 2008
Optimus24 said:
GodOfTongs said:
I've never really understood how everyone can go along with this. Ok, Yahtzee is just as funny as ever, but both GTA4 and MGS4 are great games.

His videos are great but how can you take his opinion seriously. He disagrees with absolutely everyone. His nomination for worst game of the year got almost strait 10's down the line. Ridiculous.

If you take a look on online forums you`ll see that alot of people think the scores of GTA4 are bought. Me personally couldnt agree more, I think alot of sites didnt play it thouruly enought to rate it. GTA4 is a beautifull game, but when you consider how they guttet the GTA franchise compared to the GTA3 series in gameplay elements no one can seriously give it a close to perfect score, this is a sequel. Even Yahtzee admits it in this review, he kinda liked the game when it was released. Its a beautiful and cinematic game, but they took away most of the fun parts about it. I would understand if they cut down a little to give room for the improved graphics and more lively city streets, but they compleatly guttet it. Saints Row 2 became what GTA4 was supposed to be for me, short and simple:_FUN_! Not as big as GTA:SA but just as fun! What Im missing, but Im forgiving Saints Row 2 for at the moment is bigger and more varied landscape like in GTA:SA. Everything Saints Row 2 gets beaten down for are just the same things the entire GTA3 series got beaten down for: Bad graphics, sloppy camera, bad driving physics and so on. As with the GTA3 series, if this was forgiven you got an amazingly entertaining sandbox game!

I disagree with some of Yahtzee`s reviews, but it all boils down to personal preference. I understand his (and tons of other peoples) dislike of MGS4, even though I personally hold it as one of my own last years GOTY candidates.
I will have to say that earlier in this thread that this is what I said for the most part and Ihave to agree 100%. I think that people have to realize that these videos are Yathzee's personal preference and that he is just one person. The fact that he is able to produce a new video every week is awesome when there are other companys with more people and they release something new every week or maybe twice in one week. Breaking up the usual with something different is kinda cool and if you like the reviews more, then this will make you enjoy them more.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
for example, I never really understood how anyone could ever FINISH (not play), but FINISH a GTA game. I remember playing GTA San Andreas, being really impressed, but being horrendously wtf about how to have the patience to stomach down the entire game (recall driving across an entire countryside to do ONE mission) <--repeat this cycle ever so often

GTA IV seemed much of the same. I mean, my brother (who loves both GTA games) has never finished either. I mean, does anyone EVER finish GTA games. I think that alone is a major flaw in entertainment value (not to mention the checkpoints make you drive forever to RESTART a failed mission, which are sometimes incredibly difficult; NO ONE wants to drive 1000 years in this manner. Cut the realism, and make instant checkpoints!)