Zero Punctuation: Batman: Arkham Knight - Being Rich Is a Super Power

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
I'm surprised that Yahtzee didn't mention the fact the amount of times they do the "turn the camera away, turn it back, and BAM something's changed" trick. I feel like they must have developed some new technology to make it work more effectively, because they do it a lot and it keeps on working, with some of it seeming eerily seamless. Probably the best one (out of the half of the game I've played) was when:

...You're playing as Commissioner Gordon, having been invited to some secret location by Batman. You explore the place in first person, and having looked around you turn around and BAM, Batman's RIGHT behind you. It genuinely made me swear at the top of my voice, and reminded me how scary Batman is to normal people (and that's to people who's legs he doesn't break).

PS. I also noticed the thing with the female characters in Arkham Knight. Pretty much all of them end up getting kidnapped or detained or Harley Quinn just being written into the downward spiral of "She's dumb and crazy, lol". On the plus side, Kate Kane/Maggie Sawyer engagement easter egg, and Oracle pulling a pretty badass stunt!

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
erttheking said:
Thanatos2k said:
erttheking said:
Zydrate said:
WhiteNachos said:
"you know what forget I said anything"

Then why bring it up? Perhaps it's because I've never played an Arkham game but that just seemed like a wishy washy point.
Because even he's getting a bit tired of it. A fear years late compared to the rest of us, but hey.
Just a question, an honest question. What games have recently been accused of being sexist to any major degree recently? And my to any major degree I mean more than a couple of youtubers/bloggers/forum commenters. Because I'm drawing a blank. I just have the nagging feeling that despite people still shouting about it, the arguments have gone kinda meta and are about the concept more than any actual solid examples.
Witcher 3.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/05/31/why-feminist-frequency-is-dead-wrong-about-the-witcher-3/

Oddly, haven't seen the same whining about Batman. Kind of odd, isn't it?
I said "And to any major degree I mean more than a couple of youtubers/bloggers/forum commenters." I don't consider it a major amount criticism if it's just Anita and her posse. Sorry if I didn't make it that clear.
What are you talking about, she's an AWARD WINNING game critic! AWARD WINNING! Plus Anita and her posse is like two thirds of game journalists these days.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I think Yahtzee wastes too much time hanging on the weaker aspects of a game's story. Dude, less about that, more on gameplay.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Logience said:
So what you're saying is that Escapist can ban people for using adblock programs? What a bunch of dicks.
Not ban outright, that I have heard of, you get like one of those warnings on your profile. Maybe if you get enough warnings racked up you could get a temporary suspension. But permabanned? I do not believe so. But you have to admit that you are using one such program in order for any action to be taken. It's not something that they actively scan for.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Thanatos2k said:
erttheking said:
Thanatos2k said:
erttheking said:
Zydrate said:
WhiteNachos said:

Then why bring it up? Perhaps it's because I've never played an Arkham game but that just seemed like a wishy washy point.
Because even he's getting a bit tired of it. A fear years late compared to the rest of us, but hey.
Just a question, an honest question. What games have recently been accused of being sexist to any major degree recently? And my to any major degree I mean more than a couple of youtubers/bloggers/forum commenters. Because I'm drawing a blank. I just have the nagging feeling that despite people still shouting about it, the arguments have gone kinda meta and are about the concept more than any actual solid examples.
Witcher 3.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/05/31/why-feminist-frequency-is-dead-wrong-about-the-witcher-3/

I said "And to any major degree I mean more than a couple of youtubers/bloggers/forum commenters." I don't consider it a major amount criticism if it's just Anita and her posse. Sorry if I didn't make it that clear.
What are you talking about, she's an AWARD WINNING game critic! AWARD WINNING! Plus Anita and her posse is like two thirds of game journalists these days.
O...k. The point I'm trying to make is that I haven't seen much in terms of quantity when these things happen now. And two thirds of games journalists? Yeah...tone down the hyperbole.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
erttheking said:
Thanatos2k said:
erttheking said:
Thanatos2k said:
erttheking said:
Zydrate said:
WhiteNachos said:

Witcher 3.

O...k. The point I'm trying to make is that I haven't seen much in terms of quantity when these things happen now. And two thirds of games journalists? Yeah...tone down the hyperbole.
Probably because you stopped going to the trash sites that feature such "outrage" as news. I haven't seen it either, because I don't go to those cesspools anymore.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Thanatos2k said:
erttheking said:
Thanatos2k said:
erttheking said:
Thanatos2k said:
erttheking said:
Zydrate said:
WhiteNachos said:

Witcher 3.

Probably because you stopped going to the trash sites that feature such "outrage" as news. I haven't seen it either, because I don't go to those cesspools anymore.
If there was a massive abundance of articles calling things sexist I have a feeling that it would've trickled down to the Escapist when someone made a thread complaining about it. Also I imagine it's nowhere as widespread as you claim, you numbers just aren't feasible.

Garrett

Jul 12, 2012
Tohuvabohu said:
OT: This ZP episode leaves a lot out for the sake of the story. Which is understandable, since speaking from the basis of narrative, I found this to be the strongest Arkham game to date. The game has it's problems, but I found the story to be addicting from almost the beginning, all the way to the very end.

Not that I don't have my gripes with it (Seriously, the fucking tank wars), but I think Rocksteady did their finest job with this game's story.
I'll have to disagree here. The story started strong and was going strong for quite a bit of time, that's true. I was actually quite hopeful about this story and impressed with Rocksteady but in the end they didn't have the balls to go through with what they started. At the point when you learn that a certain very important event was just a red herring, the story just straight up jumps down from the building and crashes hard on the pavement. At this point I kinda lost interest whereas before I was having fun and was willing to overlook shoving up the batmobile everywhere. Without good storyline to keep you occupied everything that's not great is becoming apparent, like horrible side quests for side villains (especially Man-Bat). And then they had to try and give character development to certain someone by giving him motivation which completely missed the point IMO. That bit destroyed the already kinda boring game for me to the point if it wasn't the very end I wouldn't even finish it.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
erttheking said:
Zydrate said:
WhiteNachos said:

Not that this side discussion really matters or anything, but I do want to ask. What would you constitute as a minimum for the number of articles, blogs and/or youtube videos required for it to be considered a "major degree"?

Because that's a fairly subjective line, and you probably have a higher threshold for what would constitute that than others. So I'm curious where that line is for you.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Johnny Novgorod said:
I think Yahtzee wastes too much time hanging on the weaker aspects of a game's story. Dude, less about that, more on gameplay.
Well, he has mentioned (especially when talking about fighting games) that he cares mostly about story.

Also, what's really to say about the gameplay?

Same as the last ones, but better in places (except one PC where it wasn't working).
Also, bat-tank. ;p

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Nuuu~! Batman kicks the icecream man? Who else will the one remaining food vendor in Gotham be able to sell to? I think the villain types would refuse to pay so that leaves the remaining law enforcement who are doing everything they can to hold an empty city together ouch! lol

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
...Is this all that Hatfall is? Like seriously, is it just this over and over again? From the screenshots and stuff I thought it was going to be like Dumb Ways to Die or Toilet Time or one of those other Warioware-esque mini-game fueled games. But I've been playing for about an hour and it just seems to be this one game over and over again with some slight variations chucked in.

I paid two dollars for this? C'mon, Yahtzee. For someone who's so quick to point out the faults of games and the industry, why is this a thing? I mean sure, it's mildly fun, even if the controls need some work, but if this is all that it is, it's not worth 2 bucks. This should've been either free or a dollar at most.

And the fact that it has microtransactions in it...really? You. You of all people allowed microtransactions in your game? I mean at least it's not trying to be like "Hey, you can have 18,000 hats for $99.99 BEST VALUE." but still. You've locked game content behind a pay wall in a game we've already paid above average cost for on a mobile game.

YOU'VE BECOME EVERYTHING YOU'VE EVER HATED!!!

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It's okay Yahtzee, you can complain about how a game handles female characters, you won't get any flak for it.

Unlike other people. For reasons.