Zero Punctuation: Beatles Rock Band and Guitar Hero 5

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
There's a reason why I stopped caring at GH3, even though I can see my home from WT :)

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Marketing the same franchise every 2 months isn't the best strategy unless they want to purposely destroy their own franchise. Which is why I believe that GH or RB franchise isn't for me at all.

Good work there Mr. Croshaw.

KingSnorky

Sep 9, 2009
bodyklok said:
Was it just me, or did the first part of the review sound like Yahtzee insulting his fans?
I'm pretty sure 90% of Yahtzee reviews start with him insulting his fans. And yet we keep coming back. We're kind of enablers in that way.

In other news, did the Escapist News Network promo feel just a little _too_ much like the Onion News Network?

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
had to watch it twice, it gets a bit hard to follow when he reviews two games at the same time, the monkey island review made this easier by being offensive towards the irish, also holy moley, when i clicked to watch this there where no comments already made, have people realized that being "first" wont win them the love of mr. croshaw?

edit : ah, i see people still go for the first and rush true the reviews in order to be on the top while avoiding the ban

Jun 6, 2009
I know I'm going to be suckered out of tons of money getting songs from DLC's but I'm still going to get Beatles Rockband. The notion of me being John Lennon is too tempting to pass up.

Riding on Thermals

Aug 28, 2008
AHA! For someone who's made their career off of the nitpicking of a genre rife with overrated mediocrity you don't even take the tiniest swing at the Beatles themselves...

For that and that alone, this review has failed.

[Cold-Shoulder]

Jun 5, 2009
I wasn't expecting another guitar game review. I thought you already used all the jokes you have on it but you proved me wrong.
Great review as usual.
Note: I'm surprised and glad that nobody has said the word f***t in the comments.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
I liked the review. The whole Rock Band Guitar Hero genre gets little OLD aftr a while. The only redeeming thing was that they had smoe good Beatles songs on Beatles Rock band (duh).

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
I wonder if you get Revolution 9 on that game. I bet that'd be weird as hell to play on Guitar Hero. It's a creepy ass song as it is..

ExistentialCrisis

Dec 29, 2008
I fully sympathize with the "larval form of classic rock snob". I annoy the hell out of my friends all the time with my constant references to bands that were "modern" well before our birth years. Heck, I even wow my folks sometimes and they grew up listening to the stuff!

Come to think of it...how about some Rock Band: Pink Floyd next? Or Rock Band: King Crimson? Or Rock Band: Deep Purple?

Regardless, nice review. I always like the ones that manage to balance interesting commentary and snide, referential jokes.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
slipknot4 said:
I would like to see the new guitar hero games feature songs from the past year instead of giving us older Beatles and Metallica songs.
so true, i realize that the "good ol' days" of music have been glorified, and we all know them from when our parents played them on road trips, but there has been made some good music in the past 10 years!.

but i guess if you want new music dj hero is the one to get, they cant really avoid having new music, though techno and rap isn't my cup of tea.

SgtFlaman

Oct 15, 2007
Oh God (I.E. Yahtzee)... This is by far my favorite one in months. It's certainly been a while since I laughed this much in one sitting.

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
Per your final comment about your depression with still buying guitar games, allow me to say "HA! Welcome to my world!" and the world of all the BEMANI fans out there who have suddenly realized they might just be getting sick of euro, trance, and J-pop after the eightieth installment of Dance Dance Revolution, or beatmania IIDX and pop'n music for the true snobs among us.

Of course, I had to commit myself to writing FAQs for all these games, which sadly didn't stretch my technical writing ability, and really amount to little more than an easy-to-hand reference guide for who's what in the songs and basically saying "look out for this", so my depression truly runs deep.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Decent review. I'm glad that someone has finally stopped bowing to the awe that is the Beatles and pointed out some of the major flaws that exist in the game (small setlist, whacky difficulty curve) and how its "innovations" of allowing up to 3 microphones and the dreamscapes do not compensate for this. Critics were throwing A/9.0+ ratings at this game like if they were entering a raffle contest. Beatles: RB is a solid 7 in my opinion. Not a bad game by any means, but let's not act like this was the greatest music game that has ever come out..

I have both games (as well as many others music games) and I have to agree that the genre in general has plateaued and until we can get some sort of major innovation, I don't see RB 3 or GH 6 moving a lot of units.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Yes this is exactly why I don't bother buying GH, or RB games anymore. Why the fuck can't they just release the new songs as DLC? While they're at it they could also release the older good tracks as DLC too.
See there Bobby, and whoever the hell runs EA; I've just found a way for you two bastards to suck more money away from us with little to no expenditure at your own self...

magnuslion

Jun 16, 2009
oh Rock Band, Guitar Hero, It appears your honeymoon is over with Yahtzee! Maybe the next version will be bundled with a drug kit, a roadie or two, and a cluster of young nubile fan girls.

Hallow'sEve

Sep 4, 2008
I've never understood the whole appeal of Guitar Hero anyway. I could just get the same exact experience by getting wasted and dancing my ass off, pretending I was a major rock star. That way I get even more enjoyment and don't have to remember anything embarrassing that might've happened.

The charity bit made me laugh though : )