Zero Punctuation: Beatles Rock Band and Guitar Hero 5

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Hehe I was excited when I saw that he was reviewing these two games. Sadly it wasn't really funny to me. While he did make a lot of good points as always (instead of releasing DLC they just keep making more games and stupid people still buy them) it wasn't classic or anything. Still enjoyed it though.

Mythbhavd

May 1, 2008
I never liked the Beatles. They were highly overrated...as apparently was this game according to Yahtzee's review.

Hallow'sEve

Sep 4, 2008
Wolfy4226 said:
I wonder if Yahtzee will review DJ Hero next month.
Hope not, that game pretty much speaks for itself. It'd be a waste of a Wednesday for me if he did that.

Skylarm

Sep 23, 2009
Not a particular fan of the Beatles, so this game isn't gonna make me run out and buy it. Loved the review though. DLC is and always will be a waste of money. Glad to see someone else feels that way.

Side Note: Has anyone played Guitar Hero: Aerosmith? They're one of my favorite bands, and I'm not particularly interested in seeing how Activision could screw it up. Just wanted to know if it was worth shelling out for.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
I completely agreed when it came to the part where you don't listen to the music and faze out for a while. I do the exact same now. And since GH3, it's like I don't have to make much effort anymore anyway, 'cause it just seems... easier, and like they've given up on challenges nowadays.

As for Beatles Rockband... well, I hate the Beatles, so won't be buying it anyway. Shame, I prefer Rock Band's interface to Guitar Hero's.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Skylarm said:
Not a particular fan of the Beatles, so this game isn't gonna make me run out and buy it. Loved the review though. DLC is and always will be a waste of money. Glad to see someone else feels that way.

Side Note: Has anyone played Guitar Hero: Aerosmith? They're one of my favorite bands, and I'm not particularly interested in seeing how Activision could screw it up. Just wanted to know if it was worth shelling out for.
Maybe not when it first came out, but considering you can get it used (and in some places new) for less than $20 it's definitely worth it at that price.

Stylish_Robot

Dec 29, 2008
I quite liked Beatles Rock Band but yeah, the setlist was too damn small and some songs I just never gave 2 shits about. No Penny Lane, no Strawberry Fields Forever and I never liked Good Morning from Sgt Peppers but hey look at that, it's there

And I never liked Guitar Hero games, seems like they love to make them, they just don't know how to make them properly

joe_six

Feb 25, 2009
Yahtzee, nobody says "indiCtment"! The world is pronounced "inditement". I've often heard you pronouncing certain words very oddly, mythos was the most recent one, but there have been plenty others that I can't remember right now but remember being quite confused by. I guess you have picked some words up purely by reading them and have never actually heard them being spoken? In any case your pronunciation of many words is certainly novel and unusual...

paiged

May 23, 2008
I can't seem to get away from these games myself. I hated guitar hero 3, hated most of world tour, and yet still went out and bought guitar hero 5 (maybe it was the free copy of van halen that enticed me - because van HALEN not including HAGAR is like a fantasy for me).

Though I admit, playing these games by myself is getting rather stale, I still have a pretty good time with a group of friends, especially when there's alcohol involved (which coincidentally is the same way I feel about the wii). I suppose the novelty has worn off.

At least I saved myself $120 by hating Metallica and The Beatles.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Skylarm said:

I liked it, but then I'm a lifelong Aerosmith fan. I'm only really into these games for the music these days, so a game full of songs I like is always going to be a winner. If you're a top player looking for a massive challenge, you probably won't find it in the Aerosmith game. If you're just a fan looking for a new way to experience the songs, you could do a lot worse.

So, I love the Beatles Rock Band thing, in fact I'd actually go as far as to call it my game of the year so far (and, honestly, I can't see much topping it) just because it's the only plastic guitar game ever released where I love 100% of the songs. GH5 is fairly new to me, only got around to buying it two days ago, but I'm really enjoying it so far which is a nice thing to be able to say after the shitpile that was GHWT.

Incidentally... Stairway To Heaven - never going to happen, at least not unless Robert Plant has some kind of knock to the head and forgets that he thinks the whole thing is stupid.

DrScoobs

Mar 6, 2009
gave up on guitar hero very shortly after gh 3 in which i realised that there was no real point. I have since lived a happy life of not having to buy an new fake instrument every year.

nice review yahtzee. being a beetles fan myself, i was mildly intrested in this game but couldnt be arsed to pay £150 for some new crap.

jefequeso

Feb 26, 2009
I love his riffs at the beginning. Speaking as a musician, I find the whole appeal of guitar hero to be pretty much non-existant, since I can just as easily play an actual instrument and not have to pay $60 to do it.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Hallow said:
I've never understood the whole appeal of Guitar Hero anyway.
Have you played it? I ask because that's pretty much what I was saying for years, then I got coerced into trying it. Surprising thing was that it was a as much fun as a barrel full of monkeys. 'course, then the barrel ran dry and I couldn't rationalize paying for a whole new game that only had about 4 songs I actually wanted.

What they need to do is start putting all individual songs online for DLC and charge like a buck each. Then all they need to do is add new songs periodically and PRESTO! An Incredibly inexpensive way to make money that doesn't involved laboriously long development times and ridiculous production costs. I can't for the life of me figure out why Harmonics and Activision aren't doing this. A single programmer could probably get a new song ready in the span of about a day or two? So you spend about $100 total (with wages and resources used) to make one song, sell it online for a buck, 2,000 people download it (underestimate I think) and you make $1,900 in profit, that's a 1900% return on the investment. How is that a bad plan? Instead, they spend millions producing games that in the end probably return (if they're lucky) 50%-75% on the investment.

jefequeso

Feb 26, 2009
Oh, I'm still waiting for 'Chamber Music Hero', Harmonix. Might be the first 'Hero' game I actually enjoy!