Zero Punctuation: Borderlands

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Borderlands

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Borderlands.

Be sure to join the Zero Punctuation Facebook Fan Page [http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zero-Punctuation/7546255825].

Watch Video

LornMind

Dec 27, 2008
XD Yay. I was wonderin' when Yahtzee would do this.

I agree, Borderlands is meh alone, but it gets better in co-op.

I just happen to hold a better opinion of it.

EDIT: It's probably already been mentioned, but you can compare weapons on the ground without opening the menu. The little arrows next to the damages, ROF, etc. tell you, do they not?

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
I figured he wouldn't really like the four player co-op, too bad people will whine about it anyway, looking forward to the extra punctaution.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Wow Cant wait for the Comment Purge!!!!

OT: Funny Stuff not as funny as a Mass Effect 2 review though....eh...eh.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Greeat Episode, I was hoping you would tear this game a new one. I am looking forward to your Mass Effect 2 Review, because I actually care about that game and want to see your take on it.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
I figured he wouldn't really like the four player co-op, too bad people will whine about it anyway, looking forward too the extra punctaution.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Yesh, I never expected Mr. Croshaw to be pissed when his fans bother him to review Borderlands.

But eventually, somebody is going to bother him to review FF XIII. Oh hilarity ensures Mr. Croshaw.

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
Man. I think we should stop telling Yahtzee to do reviews of certain games. I was surprised he didn't get a heart attack half way through the review. Never played this game, though I had interest in trying it. I don't multiplayer that much, so might give it a try.

Jory

Dec 16, 2009
They did seem to be pretty minor complaints. But for someone who hates the MMORPG grindy set up it's hardly surprising he hated it

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
If you do manage to shut those whiny stupid tossers up, please don't hoard your secret. Being able to nailgun metal plates over the faces of retarded fanboys aching to hear what is sure to be glowing praise for a shitty game is an ability critics the world over have been dreaming of since the first cave drawing was pissed on by someone who thought the antelopes were not colored properly.

Hobo Joe

Aug 4, 2009
Very funny video; while I agree with all the complaints he made they never stopped Borderlands from being fun for me.

GameGoddess101

Jun 11, 2009
I'm going to have to agree with Yahtzee here and just say that games that require four-player co-op for the "good stuff" is just lazy game design. Remember those days when you bought a game and the single player campaign had to stand up on it's own? Yeah, what the fuck happened to this!?!

Anyway, this was hysterical Yahtzee. Keep up the good work.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Wasn't surprised that he hated it, judging by how much he's complained about it before. I liked it, until I reached level 27 and realized that there's nothing more to it.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
My favourite part was the 'too many clicks + shooting a Dolphin' part. :)

Mainly because I'm extreemly proud of myself for getting it first time.

Firsteye

Nov 12, 2009
OK well I totally agree it is boring and repetitive and game should not rely on multiplayer alone but you really didn't have to kill the dolphin did you :(

NuclearPenguin

Oct 29, 2009
One of the funniest so far.
Now im off to nag him to play MAG.
Because it is multiplayer and multiplayer ONLY.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
ForgottenPr0digy said:
I'm surprised I thought this week might Army of two:40th day or Dante's Inferno or MAG???
Apparently, the amount of whining in his inbox finally reached critical mass.

DreamingMerc

Jul 4, 2009
While I personally enjoyed the title in question there is absolutely no arguing that those menu's and interface systems were nothing other then a complete disaster. That and the system in which your character only gets really strong weapons through 4-player co-op is a bit of a dick move for someone with a weak internet connection.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
As I, too, have few real friends I can relate to wanting to enjoy this game single-player but the few folks who I know who have played Borderlands can only go on and on about how one can't really enjoy/play the game solo. It's why I've passed on it and will probably continue to do so until I can get for super-cheap on eBay.

Kudos to Yahtzee for sneaking in a D&D monster-reference, too. :D

Locke89

May 27, 2009
All the complains are true, but I still love this game. Playing alone or with a few friends. Also this is really the first game that nailed FPS/RPG. Yeah, yeah, Mass Effect blah blah. But MS is still more talking and pausing the menu than shooting people in the face.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Holy shit, I heard him take a breath. I didn't think he breathed, I always thought he had a respirator installed while he talked. I'm kidding though, but it's funny to hear after two years of watching these things.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
So you finally caved Yahtzee. You're getting soft.
Anyway, interesting review. I already didn't think much of Borderlands, now I think even less of it.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I liked this game, but I haven't really played that much. I play a few hours with a few months between each time, but his complaints are as true as always. It's linear, the car is terrible the missions are all about killing, getting somewhere or getting something.
Great review as always.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
I have never played Borderlands online and I didn't much enjoy single player so I agree completely with this ZP for once

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Yahtzee didn't like an RPG or Action-RPG, I am shocked... shocked I tell you. Even though admittedly this game was barely worthy of including an RPG designation, being as I call it a "customizable shooter".

That said... I do agree with him that games need bigger bestiaries in general, Borderlands is only one game sharing what I see is a big problem.

sean.A7x

Dec 16, 2009
YAY he reviewed it, he hated it but im still glad :D

I played in single player all the way up to level 50 and still play in single player

and i actually preferred it in single player and it was my fav game of last year

but oh well i don't give a shit if Yahtzee likes it :p

edit: and i hate MMO's :p

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
K1LLSVV1TCH said:
first of all ur an twit for not watching the video.

i personally like my rpgs to be one player but maybe i will try this but i like to have variety in enemies but u usually don't get that in rpgs only the same enemys with more color, more tendrills, and maybe 1 or 2 extra abilities. i also believe that this is gonna be very repetitive with killing the same enemy so i say this is a rent.

TheNamlessGuy

Jan 7, 2009
Well, I still like it!

Also; Singleplayer is awesome and Claptrap is the best NPC ever.

What do you have to say now?

[sub]Do not take this post seriously or I'll punch you in the face[/i]

EndOfDaWorld

Feb 14, 2009
Somebody probably already said this, but;
Finally Yahtzee reviewed Borederlands!
YAAAAAAAYYYYYY!

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
i love the weekly probations here. ooh! a suspension!

OT:great episode, still loving it.
what number are we on? been a while since 100.

Xesumie

Kazoo player
Oct 30, 2008
Yahtzee has my opinion of Borderlands? I thought I was the only one who didn't love it.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
so you finally broke to peer pressure? glad then you tore the game a new one, it's ok and fun to play with friends but hardly spellbinding like everybody claims it is

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
i agree with yahtzee, people should stop nagging him, and let him do his thing not every game needs to be reviewed, and he is a busy man... er god :D

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
So you finally caved Yahtzee. You're getting soft.
Anyway, interesting review. I already didn't think much of Borderlands, now I think even less of it.
Your opinions are influenced by Zero Punctuation? HAHAHAHA

Sorry. I played Borderlands single-player the whole way through and, whilst it didn't take me very long, I found it entertaining. The guns were pretty much the only thing keeping me on the game, however.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
I wasen't that into the game. It didn't help that my brother dragged me along for the split-screen gameplay and the game was fun at first, but being dragged into a game at level 1 when the person your playing with it level 12 is like fighting Mike Tyson. You're always gonna go down.

SpireOfFire

Dec 4, 2009
after watching my brother play borderlands, i decided to never play it. it looks like a graphic novel version of fallout 3 mixed with bioshock, but the killing point was my brother pouring something like 200 rounds of automatic gunfire into somethings face and it not dying until 300 rounds. afterwhich i said "yeah, fuck that."

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
So, if he did this review because all the fanboys kept nagging him to do it then which game do we have to wait for until later?
Anyway, it sounds like Mass Effect 2 will be the next game he reviews...and after that it'll be Dante's Inferno then Bioshock 2...in that order.
Yeah let's see if I'll be right; Mass Effect 2, Dante's Inferno, then Bioshock 2.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I don´t know.This one was a little lack luster to.Wasn't as good as many other before.

And i´m talking about the review.

Flaminguez

Nov 11, 2009
thatstheguy said:
Man. I think we should stop telling Yahtzee to do reviews of certain games. I was surprised he didn't get a heart attack half way through the review.
I don't know, it results in some pretty amusing reviews....

I don't see anything wrong with designing a game primarily with the multiplayer in mind (e.g., the Left 4 Dead games), but obviously it won't be to everyone's taste. Maybe the problem is more that they try to shoehorn in a single-player campaign to a game that's not really built for it.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Make sure you join the Zero Punctuation Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Zero-Punctuation/7546255825

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
damnit yahtzee I thought you would stay strong!

Oh well. Funny. If I'm going to die of bowel cancer I would love to go skydiving.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
But... it has a scoped revolver that shoots rockets and lightning. Rockets are at least as fun as shurikens.

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
Massively entertaining review.

I almost hope this leads to another swarm of hate mail so Yahtzee can do another "Mailbag Showdown;" the last one after the Brawl review was unbelievably hilarious.

Archmike

Oooglybooglyboo!
Sep 9, 2008
Have to admit i got bored when the borderlands version of Johan Gasmask started turning up and i went from 1 shotting enemies from the next town over to having to actually do some work :(

Dendred

Sep 11, 2008
so that many peaple needed reacurance on a game we all knew was filling the niche for shooter fans?

Reddles

Feb 10, 2010
I thought that Borderlands was pretty fun, and if you play it with some friends it is really great. However, there is one thing that bothered me which Yahtzee didn't mention, which is that each character only has like 5 lines. They keep saying the same things over and over again. I'll be running around picking up stuff and I'll keep hearing my character saying "I've never seen anything like this!" a million times.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
I clocked ~20 hours in then gave up... All in Single Player because i can't be arsed to get a gamespy account.
What i think should have been mentioned is "having many different and slightly variable guns =/= role playing"
You can't play a role, you pick one of four personalitys and make absolutely 0 game changing choices. Even the upgrades are fairly samey.
Though i did like the shooting parts, but any longer then 20 hours on a fps and i feel disenchanted.

omegatheta

AutoTuning Denton Clone
Dec 4, 2008
well at least this time he wasn't forced to review it by the country of New Zealand (while a rather round about joke it is still funny) otherwise absolutely FANTASTIC!

EmmerikXXII

Nov 11, 2009
I can't say that I am offended by this or that I even disagree. at first I thought Borderlands was great, but it turns out that it is nothing but a shooter for MMORPGers. That got old for me quickly, just about the time the second play through happened. I went back the an actual MMORPG.

Also, anyone who didn't predict that Yahtzee would despise Borderlands needs to brush up on their Zero Punctuation.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
The vibe I'm getting from this review is that Yahtzee merely says it sucks simply because the people who kept requesting it made him snap. And I don't mean into reviewing the thing, I mean purposely saying it's shit because he hates being nagged at. Then again, it's not he doesn't deserve it half the time.

foxlovingfreak

Sep 9, 2009
This is why I love Zero punctuation I always enjoy seeing my favoriete games taken down a nouch and I was wondering when borderlands would get this treatmeant and I a few weeks ago I had given up hope that it would ever be reviwed. But now that it has it was deafantly worth the wait. I have to most agree about his first comment about how in multiplayer how the other players will quickly leave you behind as they head toward whatever the current objective is. This seems to always happen to me whenever I play this game in co-op with freinds or random pepople. Anyway that being said thanks agian for anohter great review and I can't wait to see what gets reviwed next week.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Thanks for being the first person anywhere to mention how fucking awful the GUI is. The sad thing is it gets much much worse in multi-player when you have to scroll through the menu and your view of the menu separately - that statement probably doesn't even make sense to anyone who hasn't played the game but trust me, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about when you play the game and it'll piss you off.

Hey, not that you need anyone telling you how to do your job, but since you caved in to do a Borderlands review I'll go ahead and tell you that you could write a fine XP article about how Borderlands could turn its sequel into a proper triple-A title. Anyone could list the obvious stuff - fully voiced and animated characters instead of paragraphs, more varied settings, more than three different missions - but I think I speak for all of us when I make an appeal to your intimidating machismo and god-like prowess by saying that only a manly man such as yourself could satisfy our curiosity by sharing your unearthly amount of wisdom.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Hysterical review. I had about the same opinion as Yahtzee (boring grind-fest; what story there is was very hackneyed, if well-voiced-- I particularly liked Tannis; and the UI was hot garbage), I'm surprised he didn't include the fact that the end boss was ridiculously easy by the time you got to it, if you had done all the side-missions and were high enough level...

... and it's supposed to be a monster capable of ending the universe. It should've taken me at least two attempts.

Can't wait for the unreasoning fanboys to start trying to explain to Yahtzee why he's "wrong", and frankly I'm surprised it hasn't already started.

Schlagwerk

Nov 5, 2009
I am now convinced that I am the only player to feel as if this game only gets worse with the amount of players added.

You and three friends are playing at level 10. You have to go to class for 45 minutes. You come back to find your friends are 15 levels higher than you.

Options:
a) Make your friends wait until you catch up, by yourself,
b) Play by yourself until you catch up,
c) Get murdered repeatedly while trying to keep up because the AI aims for you, and only you, if you are the lowest-level character with magical 100% accuracy,
d) Go play TF2.

Not that it wasn't a snooze cruise to begin with.

jamescorck

Jan 25, 2010
My God, he has nailed every single point of the game in less than 8 minutes. I thought he was going to leave something out, but nope, he has totally massacred the game...and it was glorious. I like Borderlands (a lot) but I agree with him: Why keep bothering him with reviewing a game that has already passed by? Poor Yahtzee, peer pressure is his biggest enemy.

Also, if anything, it will be cool to know his opinion on the DLC for the game. We don't just have 2 DLC's avaliable, but I heard a third one is on the making.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
300lb. Samoan said:
Hey, not that you need anyone telling you how to do your job, but since you caved in to do a Borderlands review I'll go ahead and tell you that you could write a fine XP article about how Borderlands could turn its sequel into a proper triple-A title. Anyone could list the obvious stuff - fully voiced and animated characters instead of paragraphs, more varied settings, more than three different missions - but I think I speak for all of us when I make an appeal to your intimidating machismo and god-like prowess by saying that only a manly man such as yourself could satisfy our curiosity by sharing your unearthly amount of wisdom.

Sarcasm sense... tingling.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
foxlovingfreak said:
I have to most agree about his first comment about how in multiplayer how the other players will quickly leave you behind as they head toward whatever the current objective is. This seems to always happen to me whenever I play this game in co-op with freinds or random pepople.
If that happens with your friends, then your friends are dicks. I only play this split-screen or system-link and it's important that whoever is playing stay coordinated so no one gets lost and savagely butt-fucked. I haven't played with random people and I can't imagine that it would be satisfying at all.

Summerstorm

Sep 19, 2008
Hm hm... this i call an accurate review. Borderlands was incredibly boring and the story... plot... lines of script... eh, whatever it should be called were pathetic.

I cared about no character, not even my own dude. I mean what was the point of the intro? It did set you up for just disappointment after disappointment.

And the shooter-part of the game was not entertaining enough to make up for the lack of atmosphere and story.

Hm, ah well...

Feb 13, 2008
HauntedQuiche said:
I think thats his angriest review in quite a while.
I thought after his cold that he did an angry review, but this was pure liquid hatred. I don't think he's been this bad since that last batch of JRPGs.

Oh, and FF13 comes out soon...

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
... Huh. And here I thought he was going to stick to his statement that he wouldn't review the game.
I haven't found myself agreeing with him on that many accounts in a good while. He covered every little thing I thought was crap about Borderlands, first and foremost how online gaming is complete bullshit as soon as you're playing with people you don't know, and in the end the only things I liked about the game were the random weapon generator and the cell-shaded graphics.

highpriestdre

Jun 27, 2008
I enjoyed this game a lot, but I can see where someone who likes and plays more shooters than me would be less impressed with it. The art style is what drew me to it, more than anything else. Luckily for me, the gameplay was good enough to not make my magpie like actions come back to bite me in the arse.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
300lb. Samoan said:

Sarcasm sense... tingling.
Sarcasm? Oh no, that was meant to be bald-faced pandering. Or should I say, BOLD-faced! BA-DUM TSH!

Buried_At_Sea

Nov 18, 2009
I wish the fan boys of games would moan at Yahtzee more; we get funnier reviews out of him when they do lol

Couldn't agree more on Borderlands though. I only found the game a bit fun when I had some other people playing with me on co-op, the single player just dragged. It also annoyed me that the second play through was exactly the same, apart from the enemies getting different names and higher levels.

Darkflamex

Jan 3, 2008
Spot on review and that's coming from a hardcore Borderland player who has 3 maxed out level 50 charactors and completed the game 6 times, lmao

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Pretty much summed up my entire thoughts on the travesty in gaming that is Borderlands. I love RPGs, but I hate FPS games in general, so Borderlands held an extra special place in my hate file for being another example of what is wrong with the new crop of RPGs.

lleulogyll

Nov 18, 2009
I actually really enjoyed this game single player and didn't even do the multiplayer until after I had beaten it. I'm not much of a multiplayer co-op guy but it was still fun taking my buddies with me and watch them die so fast when they were on playthrough 2 with me when they're at level 8. Overall it was hours of fun for me which proves that Yahtzee and I don't really share the same tastes... but it's still fun to listen to him rant.

Jamienra

Nov 7, 2009
How I felt about the game, funny review but it was sorta predictable.
I wanted a Dante's Inferno review!

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
solidstatemind said:
Can't wait for the unreasoning fanboys to start trying to explain to Yahtzee why he's "wrong", and frankly I'm surprised it hasn't already started.
Look, there's tons of criticism to level against this game. It can't be denied, but as someone who's already sank nearly a hundred hours into this game, and at least as much time into Diablo 2 and Quake, the game is undeniably fun. It knows what audience it's going for and as the human bullseye of this target I can attest that no matter how many other games I play, no matter how many times I get tired of this game, I keep coming back. It's just that fun, and it's kinda refreshing how old-school it is.

I think those unreasoning fanboys are the kind of e-mail trolls who don't bother registering for the escapist forums because all they really want to do is make Yahtzee's life a living hell.

Benjeezy

Dec 3, 2009
Yaaay

I kinda liked Borderlands, but my roommate is obsessed with it. He always nags me to play. In fact, he was earlier today at lunch...HE makes me enjoy it less then the quality if the game itself.

TheSugarRay

Dec 23, 2009
I was expecting Dante's inferno sense he was on a God-of-war-clone warpath.
I also feel genuine excitement when the odometer in my car turns, it's the little things.

I had a lot of fun with boarderlands, and then they gave me vehicles and I soon lost interest shortly after that.

But I liked the robot. I'm glad I don't know Yahtze because I'm the most negative person in my group of friends. It would be like the time I watched there will be blood and say what pure hate looks like.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Great review, as always. I'm in the same boat as Yahtzee when it comes to games like this. In my opinion, multiplayer is best when you're with friends you know in real life, whether it be on- or offline. I tried to go with the multiplayer, but it wasn't exactly fun, because no one was talking.

But, that's the deal with life. Not everyone can have a buddy who's off of work on the same day as you and has the same game to play with. Plus, I can't stand first-person shooters. I also couldn't stand when those damn dog-things from Borderlands were hiding below my perspective.

Zykon TheLich

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 20, 2020
Country
UK
I think Yahtzee nailed it's faults pretty well, but I still really enjoyed the game. I like shooters, and there was lots of shooting.

jorgemalgom

Apr 15, 2009
Good review, never the less we will continue whining.
The (business)point of the videos is not if you like or not, but how much people sees it, so there before you next review will be...

burninfidels

Jul 16, 2009
Yahtzee's complaints are perfectly valid and yet I had tons of fun with the game.

Of course, I did play with real life friends, so that might be that.

andsoitgoes

Mar 6, 2008
Lost In The Void said:
Greeat Episode, I was hoping you would tear this game a new one. I am looking forward to your Mass Effect 2 Review, because I actually care about that game and want to see your take on it.
Really?

You do realize that he pissed all over the face of ME1, complained that there was tooo much story, etc, etc, etc.

On another note, I find it funny how much he LOOOOOOOOVED Dragon Age (and yes, I equate him not hating a game to loving it). The amount of boring ramble in that game, compared to ME1/2 was MIND BOGGLING. And the damn game stunk of WoW style grinding and quests.

I like Yahtzee's reviews, and I'll probably chuckle at the ME2 review, regardless of how much he hates the game, but I'm a bit frustrated with his double standard with ME? versus Dragon Age.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
ok
Jamesigh said:
Yahtzee, try not review Final Fantasy XIII until AFTER I've completed it......
he doesnt even like JRPG's i dont think a review of FFXIII is ever gonna hit here im sure the skies will fall and rivers run red with blood first lol

ShotgunSmoke

Apr 19, 2009
I'm not gonna lie, I almost broke into tears when I noticed the lack of "Mass", "Effect" and "2" in the title.

The review itself made me feel better, one of the best ones in a long time. Definitely agree about the story, the lack of it (or any kind of cutscenes) was disturbing.

Can't wait until the next Wednesday.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
Heh, I love "the less clicks the better" frame.

Nice enough review and I think we all expected he'd say something along these lines when he eventually got do reviewing it - he never claimed any love for grinding or rpg's.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Oh c'mon! At the very least, you gotta like "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked". :'(

blademan30

Feb 10, 2010
I found this game incredibly boring as hell and i refuse to play online with other people so i wasted my money down the tube ><.

Random Wanderer

Apr 15, 2009
I don't disagree with any of the things Yahtzee complained about this time. Yet I still liked Borderlands. And I played exclusively single player. It's not the be all and end all of gaming, but I found it to be fun. And fun is what I want out of a game.

Lost In The Void said:
Why on earth would you want him to review a game you actually care about? He's going to hate it for the same reasons he hated the original Mass Effect and any other Bioware RPG.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I kind of agree. I mean, I got tired of the game not because of the gameplay, but because the God damn Claptrap kept telling me that there are level 10 quests for my level 29 character...

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
Not surprised really.
I really haven't seen a game with so little appeal,(for me),in a long time.
Now bring on the nagging for Dantes Inferno.

NamesAreHardToPick

Jan 7, 2010
300lb. Samoan said:
Look, there's tons of criticism to level against this game. It can't be denied, but as someone who's already sank nearly a hundred hours into this game, and at least as much time into Diablo 2 and Quake, the game is undeniably fun. It knows what audience it's going for and as the human bullseye of this target I can attest that no matter how many other games I play, no matter how many times I get tired of this game, I keep coming back. It's just that fun, and it's kinda refreshing how old-school it is.
It's a pretty simple game... shooting, fetching, getting new guns. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It's great if you just get the urge to boot up a game where you shoot dudes in the head for a while.

The graphics are distinctive and nice to look at.
The maps are really varied and busy despite their size with cute touches all over the place.
The NPCs are funny. Scooter (especially as you get into Dahl Headlands), Tannis, the Claptraps, etc.

As for multiplayer I've got one save for playing split-screen with my son and another for split-screen with a friend of mine. We only touch the files when we're playing together so levels and gear are always even. Absolutely the best way to go. Personally I don't mind single-player since I can stand around geeking out when a particular terrain feature calls for it.

The one thing that really bugs me is how ridiculously over-powering a couple of character levels can be. If you go into a quest and it's got someone above your level, you're dead by the time you notice the skull beside their health bar. On the other hand if you go back and do a low-level quest for fun because you missed it earlier, you're dropping everyone with a could of rounds from a submachinegun. I imagine this is also a huge barrier to having fun with random teammates, but haven't bothered trying to go online since I can't use a headset during my only free gaming time (the dead of night).

Xelanath

Jan 24, 2009
GameGoddess101 said:
I'm going to have to agree with Yahtzee here and just say that games that require four-player co-op for the "good stuff" is just lazy game design. Remember those days when you bought a game and the single player campaign had to stand up on it's own? Yeah, what the fuck happened to this!?!
So you would say the same of MMOs?

Borderlands was designed as a co-operative experience, that fact is by no means secret.
Expecting its single player to stand alone is like expecting the Blitzball in FFX to carry the whole game; it wasn't intended by the developers and isn't expected by people who know what the game is about.

Cogzwell

Jul 10, 2008
Well that wasn't going to be as bad as i thought.

I played Borderlands almost exclusively single-player and loved it, granted I am an mmo fan (kinda, i actually quit recently though) and all i have to say is "Big Numbers, Blood, and Loot." If you don't get a stiffy for random item generators will will not like this game period end.

And to the people who asked him to review this, shut the frak up! first of all stop being annoying and second of all i was glad because i was able to go a few months with ought having my bubble popped.

I played Borderlands for over 200 hours, and loved it. I haven't played it in a while but I might some more in the future.

nonl33t m4st3r

Oct 31, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
I'm surprised I thought this week might Army of two:40th day or Dante's Inferno or MAG???
Apparently, the amount of whining in his inbox finally reached critical mass.
Maybe with all the replies, rants, and nags, it'll collapse into a singularity.

On a side note, the picture of a guy in a hospital bed skydiving is one of the funniest things I've seen on ZP.

Rensenhito

Jan 28, 2009
I rather liked Borderlands, although it does take a certain amount of skill and organization to have fun with it. I have the advantage of being in college right now, and my roommate loves the game, so whenever I play it, I play it 2-player splitscreen, which is probably the very BEST way to play it. Your bit of screen isn't microscopic, and the difficulty is just high enough to keep things frenetic, but not unmanageable.
Now, I won't lie: the single player game is a grind fest. You do nothing but kill things, level up, repeat. But two-player keeps things varied enough to be interesting, and it's always good to have someone there to heal you when you get jumped by a Badass Corrosive Skag... again.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
There's one thing of this I am glad about, an that is the fact that he said he was going to review mass effect 2. Now I don't have to worry about turning on my computer to be greeted by 3 threads, 2 groups (Someone already made a group solely to make him review 1 game in articular) and a partige in a bloody pear tree whining about whther or not he's going to review it.

Well at least it kept those people out of everyone elses conversations. Wonder how many Escapists are gonna get Suspended next time? My money is on 7 minimum, with at least 2 of them claiming to of seen the video before Yahtzee could of even watched it.

Oh yeah, and good work and all.

lordlillen

Nov 18, 2009
WHOA did not expeckt this i wondered where this review was like twelve episode's ago
still cant wait for your take on mass effeckt 2
nad after that dantes inferno right and then army of two the 40:th day i presume

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
ramik81 said:
Sounds like Yahtzee isn't liking Mass Effect 2 either...lol
Well, he said it'll take a couple weeks for him to be able to review it. This could mean one of two things:
1) He's taking a long time to get through it because it's longer than most of the stuff he does.
2) He likes it so freaking much he can't stop replaying it. (Unlikely, but potentially awesome.)

Hileo20

Dec 7, 2009
The two things I can say I absolutely hated about Borderlands is that when I killed Sledge and the lady came back to talk to me, I had forgotten she or the vault even existed, and the screen cant be fixed. Your splitscreen will decide on its own if its vertical or horizontal, and it will cut off important things like the lady's eyes or ammo count/exp bar.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Borderlands

Be sure to join the Zero Punctuation Facebook Fan Page [http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zero-Punctuation/7546255825].

Watch Video
Yeah... so guess what? It might come as a surprise but it's a Co-Op game xD

It is boring alone, it is awesome with friends. I wouldn't even recommend anyone to play it any other way, that very much resembles joining an empty Battlefield 2/Counter Strike or Team Fortress 2 server and complaining that there isn't anything to do other than staring at a wall and emptying your mag into the air or trying to play tennis or chess or whatever alone.

And you don't need 3 friends, just use 1 or 2, meet up and play over a LAN or grab a headset (you obviously have one) and have some fun while shooting things in the head xD

flabslapper

Sep 24, 2009
Anybody got any news on whether Australia will get a release of Shattered Memories? For Yahtzee's sanity I hope it does, even though he probably won't like it lol

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
andsoitgoes said:
Lost In The Void said:
Really?

You do realize that he pissed all over the face of ME1, complained that there was tooo much story, etc, etc, etc.

On another note, I find it funny how much he LOOOOOOOOVED Dragon Age (and yes, I equate him not hating a game to loving it). The amount of boring ramble in that game, compared to ME1/2 was MIND BOGGLING. And the damn game stunk of WoW style grinding and quests.

I like Yahtzee's reviews, and I'll probably chuckle at the ME2 review, regardless of how much he hates the game, but I'm a bit frustrated with his double standard with ME? versus Dragon Age.
Random Wanderer said:
I don't disagree with any of the things Yahtzee complained about this time. Yet I still liked Borderlands. And I played exclusively single player. It's not the be all and end all of gaming, but I found it to be fun. And fun is what I want out of a game.

Lost In The Void said:
Why on earth would you want him to review a game you actually care about? He's going to hate it for the same reasons he hated the original Mass Effect and any other Bioware RPG.
Good, I don't care if he pisses on it, or hates it for whatever reason [for the record, he didn't hate it, he pointed out the flaws of it] anyways, I'm hoping to see what he thinks what is wrong with the game, and to see what he thinks has improved. Plus its entertainment, why wouldn't I want to see my favorite game get torn a new one, its hilarious when he does that

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
I can understand why Yahtzee wouldn't want to review it, isn't Borderlands a middling shooter with broken online multiplayer?

Who the fuck wants to play that?

Donttazemehbro

Nov 24, 2009
HAHA very nice as usual. THe game is awesome and as usual i dont agree with some of the things you say but thank you for reviewing it. I didnt ask because i knew you would just send me a reply saying how much you hate people who request games for you to review.

You are right, Claptrap was THE SINGLE MOST ANNOYING NPC IN ANY GAME IVE PLAYED UP TO NOW. "Hello, new missions are available at the lvl 5 Fyrestone bounty board." SHUT UP claptrap

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
He makes this game sound like Phantasy Star Online... which would've sounded good back in 2001 but times have moved on and online grinding shouldn't be as basic as what he's making it sound like.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
flabslapper said:
Anybody got any news on whether Australia will get a release of Shattered Memories? For Yahtzee's sanity I hope it does, even though he probably won't like it lol
We're getting it in March I believe.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Ah, yes - victory at last. Not because he reviewed that game in particular but more because he once in his life forgot to cut out the little part where he has to take breath. This is victory for me because I had a bet going he'd forget it some day. Now please excuse me - I'd like to receive my prize blow-job.
I'll think about you, Yahtzee. :)

Oh yeah, about Borderlands: It was okay. Like an MMORPG with three friends in the same room. I don't really mind that grinding stuff as long as its fun, and it was fun. But that might only be because it was my friend's game and I didn't spend a single penny on it.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Complete and utter bull. It is a fun and as paced RPG/FPS with some of the best gunplay I have seen since Far Cry

I know he's a critic and it's opinion, but the modded weapons, special abilities, choice of guns and hording is just brilliant.

Also interface being bad? I never had a problem with it...maybe someone was running out of complaints?

hypercube

Jul 23, 2008
chenry said:
I like Borderlands. But Yahtzee's not wrong about it either.
Yea verily. I had a blast playing it single player, but as you say, Yahtzee's gripes about it are all true. That interface is one of the worst I've ever seen.

Slavik_91

May 2, 2009
The game gets alot more entertaining once you figure out how to mod it and turn rocket launchers into nuke launchers :D

runningfatman

Dec 5, 2008
seriously he bitchs about how he has to review 4 games about mytical creature massacer in a row and when dantes inferno finally comes out he dosnt review it i mean seriously what the hell??? still i liked borderlands even solo so ya he rly did just pick at stupid things still made me see a different side of the game then i have befor.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
As always extremly entertaining and glad you finally did Borderlands~

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Borderlands

Watch Video
Sir i bow to your review! everybody was hyped (and maybe most of them are..) about this game, but frankly i must say it's a simplistic FPS with few rpg elements and that's it.
and you might have lacked to add that there's no storyline... only a mirage of it.

Overall you've got the logical way of seeing it.

Joe Deadman

Jan 9, 2010
Poor Yahtzee XD. Saw the blurb last episode but I didn't think he would actually cave in. Oh well at least it's entertaining to watch him rant.

NamesAreHardToPick

Jan 7, 2010
Talcon said:
At first I liked Borderlands, but stopping to check if the new gun you found is marginally better than what you have, really "breaks the flow", to borrow a phrase from Yahtzee. Stopping the action every five minutes to analyze new gear is NOT good gameplay design, it's tedious and doesn't live up to the fast-paced action that FPS are SUPPOSED to be.
... or you could get a handle on your own OCD. It's not the game's fault that you go into your equipment menu every time you pick up a new gun. Admittedly it might make a big difference at low levels but, if it's killing your fun you have to be a grown-up and prioritize a little.

With a good collection already on my hands I've learned to mostly grab guns for cash value. I only look at stats when it's time to sell and often end up keeping 1-2 to replace weapons in my current lineup. Yeah maybe I'm missing some awesome white-letter sniper rifle, but probably not.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
As someone who has played Borderlands and liked it, I must say this review was surprisingly accurate. Good job!

Big-T

Jan 11, 2010
i was hella happy to see that YZ felt the same feeling that i had about borderlands. i have been taking wayyy too much heat from friends for my opinions. making me feel like i had to either get a new opinion or new friends. after watching this episode im thinking about getting new models of the latter.

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
Also interface being bad? I never had a problem with it...maybe someone was running out of complaints?
Personally, the menu system is my biggest complaint with the whole game. The sheer time it takes to select a gun, scroll down the screen, find the stats, and find the other gun's stats probably took more time than half the missions (over-exaggeration).

I bought this game, played it by myself, beat it, and traded it in within the hour. Thank god for Gamestop, or I would have wasted all my money. Good review, Yahtzee.

runningfatman said:
seriously he bitchs about how he has to review 4 games about mytical creature massacer in a row and when dantes inferno finally comes out he dosnt review it i mean seriously what the hell??? still i liked borderlands even solo so ya he rly did just pick at stupid things still made me see a different side of the game then i have befor.
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! SPELLING! Is English your first language?

sramota

Aug 1, 2009
Good on ya, succumbed to whiners.
Now go do a double Mass Effect / Bioshock 2-2 for me next week or I'll also cry.

On a totally irrelevant and meaningless sidenote: I agree fully with the review.
It's crap. It's cute and charming crap that'll make you giggle at ball jokes. But it's still crap.

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
Well I think it is a fun and fast paced RPG/FPS with some of the best gunplay I have seen since Far Cry.

I for one found the modded weapons, special abilities, choice of guns and hoarding brilliant.

I never had a problem with the interface, but I can understand if some people think differently
There. I re-wrote your post so you don't come off as a pretentious fanboy that perceives his, and only his, opinions as facts. Thank me later.

Fr331anc3r

Nov 6, 2008
The Rockerfly said:
Complete and utter bull. It is a fun and as paced RPG/FPS with some of the best gunplay I have seen since Far Cry

I know he's a critic and it's opinion, but the modded weapons, special abilities, choice of guns and hording is just brilliant.

1. Best gun play since Far Cry... what? Yeah, the shooting was fun, but all hit calculations were still d20 based, not actual accuracy/distance/etc based. They might have had the stats but that's not how the system worked (Placebo Effects). You're comparing apples to oranges.

2. This is also an opinion, I found it to be good, not great, making a first person loot-em-up isn't necessarily something new and innovative. If you want tons of loot at a cheaper price with about the same level of plot, character design, and level design get Torchlight.

3. The interface was pretty obnoxious on the PC, I can't even imagine how bad it was on the console.

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
I'm disappointed that you bowed to public pressure and reviewed a game you weren't going to do. Now you've set a precedent and idiots are going to realise they can manipulate you. Things are going to get a whole lot worse now.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I honestly didn't give a flying toss if he reviewed Boarderlands or not. But that's probably because of my MMO hate.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
I've been waiting for this for awhile.
However, I didn't feel like asking for it.

Let the man do his job the way he wants to do it.

HollywoodH17

Jan 6, 2010
I really like Borderlands. Then again, I actually do have pictures and video of my car rolling over from 49,999 to 50,000.

Munsie

Feb 10, 2010
Solid review.

It should be interesting to see what's to come in the following weeks.. So many new releases.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Did anyone else notice when they showed the Extra Punctuation photo that it said that Yahtzee had 5,361 new messages?

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
NickCooely said:
There. I re-wrote your post so you don't come off as a pretentious fanboy that perceives his, and only his, opinions as facts. Thank me later.
I didn't though, I addressed that it's is opinion, reread my original post. I am a human being therefore I have an opinion, why is that such a bad thing these days?

How does it make me pretentious though?
No I won't thank you, you just come off as rude

Wodan

Feb 8, 2010
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Borderlands

Watch Video
Loved the usual Yahtzee greatness! Great video. However I will respectfully disagree with your take on the game. Can't wait for Mass effect 2 review though! He is going to rip planet scanning a new one!

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
While I can't approve of complaining about problems that aren't there (like the lack of upgrades in Valkyria Chronicles) , or just plain stupid (like comparing Demon's Souls to IWBTG) I don't see why people object to nit-picking. As small as a flaw may be it's still a flaw. Wouldn't you prefer to have them fixed? Criticism can be constructive and harsh at the same time. If you have some self-distance then you shouldn't be excusing flaws in it, you should be looking for them and posting about them on the developer forums so they can easier decide what can be improved.

Jamesigh

Jan 29, 2010
Sethstorm said:
ok
Jamesigh said:
he doesnt even like JRPG's i dont think a review of FFXIII is ever gonna hit here im sure the skies will fall and rivers run red with blood first lol
i reckon he will review it. it will be his first opportunity to critically mutilate a Final Fantasy game. and he has reviewed a couple JRPGs before.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I agree that playing the multiplayer shouldn't be needed. I actually play the game alone more often then online because when i play online its usually with people on my friends list an they have good connections. Also playing random online is the stupidest thing. Everyone just runs for the items and doesn't give you the time of day.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Jamesigh said:
Sethstorm said:
ok
Jamesigh said:
i reckon he will review it. it will be his first opportunity to critically mutilate a Final Fantasy game. and he has reviewed a couple JRPGs before.
I don't know about that. Yahtzee doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who will review something just for the sake of bashing it. Maybe the editors at the Escapist will force him to, but I doubt it'll be completely by choice that he'll want to review it. I don't think movie critics go out trying to find movies they won't like to review. Don't forget they still have to invest all the time watching/playing the thing first.

Saarai-fan

Nov 12, 2009
Seeing this review makes me wonder what Yahtzee would think of the PC game of Fallen Earth, which is similar to Borderlands in that it blends first person shooter and rpg gameplay. In my opinion, Fallen Earth is the better game in it's story, where as Borderlands seems to be about killing Jason Voorhees.

And yes, I joined the Zero Puncutation Facebook Fan Page. Looks good.

Jamesigh said:
I agree with that. Sooner or later he'll probably review a Final Fantasy game, and tell us his thoughts on the franchise. What he doesn't like about it, what he finds alright about it, and more importantly what annoys him the most about it. But none the less, regardless of what he says, I have XIII reserved to buy at my local video game store, and I hope it will be at least better than XII was.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I'm also really p.o.'d at the recent of abundance of games that are "only good online." If I wanted to interact with people, I'd go outside, maybe play some tennis or hockey. I might actually have fun. Video games have advanced beyond the inconvenience of having to find someone to play it with. That's why they were invented. What was the first major advancement of pong? Being able to play it at home by yourself. It's like saying masturbation's only enjoyable if you do it with a group of buddies. The second you introduce more people into the fold, it's no longer masturbation, just sex.

Likewise, online play is really swayed by the fact that you play with people you like. I swear I've read reviews that said Borderlands is much more fun with 3 friends who know what they're doing. Well yeah, everything is more fun with people you like. School, work, root canal, driving, sleeping, eating, going to the movies... doesn't make it any better in of itself just because you personally had a good time.

"You know, I really dug New Moon."
"Really, that movie was crap!"
"Yeah, well you didn't see it at the midnight release with dozens of screaming fans and then get laid afterwards by six different women because you were the only eligible male present."
"Oh, I guess I'll have to watch it again some time."

Jamesigh

Jan 29, 2010
yourbeliefs said:
Jamesigh said:
Sethstorm said:
ok
Jamesigh said:
I don't know about that. Yahtzee doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who will review something just for the sake of bashing it. Maybe the editors at the Escapist will force him to, but I doubt it'll be completely by choice that he'll want to review it. I don't think movie critics go out trying to find movies they won't like to review. Don't forget they still have to invest all the time watching/playing the thing first.
i suppose you're right. although i think the chance to destroy something he has long claimed to detest would provide at least SOME incentive to play it.

AllTeam

Feb 11, 2009
I understand the comments towards other games but leave Bruce Willis out of this :)

Hudson Hawk is an enjoyable movie :)

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
So, what you're saying is: Fallout 3 it is not. I'll have to rent it and see for myself on this one.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
This seemed funnier than some of his more recent ones. Keep nagging him to review your favorite games, whiny fanboys! That way, he'll be more angry and, therefore, more funny!

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
well it looks like buying mw2 was a good idea cos borderlands doesnt look that good thnx 4 the info yahtzee and so you you know im advertising you on my profile pages (on different sites of course) lol and i watched everyone of your reviews now even if i did watch most of em b4 i joined escapist

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Loved this review, and I loved the game. But Yahtzee is right, creating a game solely for multiplayer fun is a little vexing for those of us who don't want to subject ourselves to being corpse humped/called a pussy by twelve year old boys. And the menu system was awful. Spot on review.

I kind of hope he doesn't do FF actually. What can be said about the series that hasn't already been said before. I like FF games, it's a nostalgic thing I think, but they kind of specialize in doing the same game with a new hairdo every few years.

Shydrow

Feb 8, 2010
Don't think Borderlands had enough to it to really have him review it. Im not saying its not a fun game to play with buddies but since he played it as a single player it feels like a wasted week wait

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
NickCooely said:
I didn't though, I addressed that it's is opinion, reread my original post. I am a human being therefore I have an opinion, why is that such a bad thing these days?

How does it make me pretentious though?
No I won't thank you, you just come off as rude
Well the first four words easily led me to that conclusion. "Complete and utter bull" Whcih them led me to think that you find opinions that differ to your own as bullshit. It's not a hard train of thought to follow.

And I'm not saying having an opinion is bad. Quite the contrary, it was your post that made out that you thought differing opinions are bad. Perhaps that wasn't your intention, but thats how it turned out unfortunatly.

Instead of flaming you as the more immature members or disturbed Yahtzee fanboys would have I decided to instead re-write your post in a more appealing manner.

And yeah, I did come off rude. Kinda what I was aiming for.

BloodyThoughts

EPIC PIRATE DANCE PARTY!
Jan 4, 2010
Im wondering how he is going to tear down over 80 hours (well....for me) of content into one 5 minute review. gonna be tough for him to do ME2 aint it?

But as well as a lot of other people, im in shock that you did this, I was think AOT: 40th day or Dantes inferno, or MAG. Wait no not MAG cause from what I hear it is all multiplayer, meaning probably most people in the game will have mics, meaning Yahtzee will just call it shit on the spot.

But great review. I felt the same with you on borderlands. Better with Co-op, but a game is barely a videogame if it can't hold up on it's own with Single player.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Jamesigh said:
yourbeliefs said:
Jamesigh said:
Sethstorm said:
ok
Jamesigh said:
i suppose you're right. although i think the chance to destroy something he has long claimed to detest would provide at least SOME incentive to play it.
If he did review it it'll be incredibly boring. It'll just be the exact same thing he always says about every JRPG in the history of the world, ever. It'll just be stuff like:

"Why does everyone in this game look like a 12-year-old-girl?", "if these guy is involved in a war why can't they wear armor that'll actually protect them, are they worried that it'll ruin their hairdo?", "after the forty-billionth cutscene I had gone to make myself a sandwich when all of a sudden it decided to actually let me PLAY the game"...

And so-on and so-forth. So it does seem like a bit of a waste of time for him to review something when we already have a fair idea of what he's going to say about it.

That being said, you can never be certain with a guy like Ben.

Mash101

Feb 8, 2010
Another great review, but I do have to explain why games like this piss me off:

You put three things in a game and it will do well:
1)shooting enemies in any fashion possible with sometimes hilarious outcomes
2)an experience system that makes you stronger as you level and gives you new abilities
3)coop

people always say: well its funner in coop (works for all games with the feature). Well no crap, because you can talk about other things besides the game you're playing distracting you from how bad it is, screwing around inside the game (and that only comes from playing with more people), and the fact that the less work you have to do in a bad game the quicker it's over and the less work you have to do, embracing humanities most portrayed quality: laziness.

Borderlands is a mediocre game which posses as being artsy because it uses art that looks like it was ripped straight out of mad max and a cell shaded visual style. While it is fun I do find myself bored silly if I'm playing alone, while coop is a blast like I said any game with coop can pretty much end up being 100x better. Left 4 Dead 2 is another terrible game, that is unless your in coop.

Add an experience system and blowing the hell out of everything will sell a game no matter what. Worked for Modern Warfare and Borderlands for a reason. Took the qualities that made RPGs addicting (better weapons and attachments when you level, an experience system to make you feel like you've accomplished something, and the ability to make your classes/characters unique in both looks and abilities while creating your own personal playing style) and put it into a shooter, freaking brilliant.

Kyouki1980

May 26, 2008
I am a happ happy man. Atlast someone to say it like it is. Borderlands is shit. I have no interest in multiplayer... Mostly cause I have the same problem Yahtzee does *Cough* >_>
But apart from that theres also the massive lack of anything resembling an actual story.
Its like watching an Uwe Boll film. Except those actually have some story... if you can call it that.
Borderlands is aimed at the teeny twicth shooter generation crossed with the mmorpgers. Its got the shooty and the grindy. neither of which appeal to me. GIVE US BACK OUR STORY DAMN YOU 2K!!!

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
I know you really didn't like this game, but the review felt...I dunno, lacking. With Brawl, sure you complained the entire time, but it felt more solid to the core of complaints, whereas this Borderlands review felt shallower and emptier.

For the record, while I like this game, I liked the single player and really wouldn't care if there were people there, the same reason I don't like playing team deathmatch in anything else online. But like I said, it felt like there were too many little complaints, and there was nothing that you said that was big enough for me to believe you despised the game as much as you have. So I have to ask, did you just not want to review because it was THAT bad, or was it that you had other games that interested you more?

CommyGingerbreadMan

Dec 22, 2009
Online play can only ADD to a game. Single Player is basically the same way through over and over again, online you face people of varying degrees.

Also probably Ninja'd, but the pop up screen he talked about weapons and stuff. . . the game has that, when you look at a weapon it tells you in a box (not inside the inventory screen) and has the box of you weapons stats sitting right next to it. How did he possibly miss that?

afroforce69

Nov 23, 2009
OMG 1st post here ever

only to tell the fact that at the end there seriously is a fieldhockeystick!!! OMG!!!

If i could give it kudos it would be +10000 just for that tiny remark towards the greatest sport ever, field hockey!(probably has something to do with australia, jamie dwyer and such, but still!!!)

at the review itself, didnt really like the game myself so it was expected. hoped on it to be funnier btw.
Damn pure awesomness...

chopperman

Jan 17, 2010
aww but I liked borderlands, too bad everyone online is only out for themselves to get the mad loots and wont stop tea bagin me while I'm dieing and all the hacked lvl 50s wanna beat up on my lvl 15 brick and all the little kids screaming how bad the game is every time they die....

on second thought this game isn't that grand ....

Shadow-Fox

Nov 11, 2009
HEY!!
I take pictures of my car's odometer every 10.000 km! Why exactly does that put me on the same level as all these MMORPG trolls? At least I leave the house to do that twice a year!

Qwirk

Nov 28, 2007
I personally enjoy playing Borderlands as well as the whiney little robot so thusly I must also enjoy the sound of fingernails being dragged over a chalkboard.

At least the game didn't have Mario in it.

Darkefire

Jun 25, 2008
I played through Borderlands almost exclusively on singleplayer because I have the same problem with friends that Yahtzee does. My brother and I did co-op briefly a few times (after getting through the hellhole that is the online system) but it just didn't work because we have completely different playstyles. I'm the type that enjoys hanging back, scoping out the whole battlefield and picking guys off with a sniper at a leisurely pace, while he's the kind that enjoys running in with a shotgun/SMG and blasting anything that moves. I can't imagine what the game would be like with four people, trying to coordinate anything would be akin to pulling teeth. Also, you get into fights over loot pretty regularly.

Regardless, I had fun, and got a decent way into my second playthrough before Mass Effect 2 came along and sucked all my gaming time into its sweet, sweet depths. I enjoy a touch of easy mode (nothing annoys me more than having to level up to be able to beat a mission), but it was challenging enough to keep me engaged. The art design is fantastic, there's a lot more enemy variation and strategy than Yahtzee lets on, and there's about as much mission variation as an FPS will allow (kill something, collect a number of somethings while killing something, find someone while killing somethings, and a combination of the above). Really, the only thing the game doesn't have is puzzles, which is probably what really annoyed our favorite adventure-game-lovin' critic more than any of his other complaints.

There's still a number of glitches and bugs in the game, but overall it's a solid B- as far as games go. You'll have fun for a while, maybe even enough to finish the game once or twice, but it's not the sort of thing you'll be revisiting a year from now.

BloodyThoughts

EPIC PIRATE DANCE PARTY!
Jan 4, 2010
CheckD3 said:
I know you really didn't like this game, but the review felt...I dunno, lacking. With Brawl, sure you complained the entire time, but it felt more solid to the core of complaints, whereas this Borderlands review felt shallower and emptier.

For the record, while I like this game, I liked the single player and really wouldn't care if there were people there, the same reason I don't like playing team deathmatch in anything else online. But like I said, it felt like there were too many little complaints, and there was nothing that you said that was big enough for me to believe you despised the game as much as you have. So I have to ask, did you just not want to review because it was THAT bad, or was it that you had other games that interested you more?
Well, that was probably how he thought the game to be, little complaint after little complaint all piling up into one huge giant complaint utterly making the game bad. Oh, and listen to him in the beginning, fanboys wouldn't stop emailing him to review Borderlands, unfortunately he thought it was a bad game.

Leodiensian

Jun 7, 2008
I agree with a lot of the complaints he levels at Borderlands. While it was a functional shooter (point gun at man, pull trigger, man fall down) the lack of a story was a major turn-off for me.

I think the "compare items" complaint he had was a PC only thing? I don't remember weapon comparison being a hassle on the console version I played.

While I still completed it, since I'd payed money for it, I certainly didn't feel compelled to give it the multiple playthroughs games like this usually demand from the player to get the full experience. I think the problem with Borderlands is basically that it can't decide whether it wants to be a single player or multiplayer game. If it had just gone pure multiplayer, then it wouldn't have been such a problem, but it required a single player mode for.. what, legitimacy? So that it seems like a "real" game?

I wouldn't have marked it down for focussing solely on multiplayer. But I will have it marked down for a single player mode that feels like a sick, withered limb of the game rather than it's robust, healthy heart. The end result is I feel like a played a massive beta, or maybe a really huge demo. It did not feel like a full game.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
NickCooely said:
Well the first four words easily led me to that conclusion. "Complete and utter bull" Whcih them led me to think that you find opinions that differ to your own as bullshit. It's not a hard train of thought to follow.

And I'm not saying having an opinion is bad. Quite the contrary, it was your post that made out that you thought differing opinions are bad. Perhaps that wasn't your intention, but thats how it turned out unfortunatly.

Instead of flaming you as the more immature members or disturbed Yahtzee fanboys would have I decided to instead re-write your post in a more appealing manner.

And yeah, I did come off rude. Kinda what I was aiming for.
Yeah but even with your rewritten statement, it's still an opinion, no matter how much you dress it up.

Yeah I said they were bull because they were unjust opinions and not mentioning a thing about the actual gameplay which he mentioned nothing on yet called the game shit. I don't have a problem with a person hating something, but if it's not on it's primary function as a game then I think there argument is bull.

You said my different opinion is not a bad thing, yet you call me a "fanboy" which is a derogative term. Why insult me enjoying a game yet you appreciate other opinions? The two statements contradict with each other

I don't care if you answer me maturely, nicely or appealingly, you opinions contradict and your dressing up of my OP does not change my opinion.

Okay be rude to me, I don't care but the mods will. Enjoy your stay here, even if it may be short if you keep up with that attitude

NamesAreHardToPick

Jan 7, 2010
Fr331anc3r said:
1. Best gun play since Far Cry... what? Yeah, the shooting was fun, but all hit calculations were still d20 based, not actual accuracy/distance/etc based. They might have had the stats but that's not how the system worked (Placebo Effects). You're comparing apples to oranges.

2. This is also an opinion, I found it to be good, not great
You might be thinking about Fallout 3 rolling dice to determine if a bullet hits or not, you can have your shot perfectly lined up and pull the trigger and the bullet decides it's going to come out sideways or something. That was one of the many many annoying things about that game for me. Borderlands isn't like that at all, if your target fills the crosshairs you're 100% certain to hit.
I'm not sure how looking through the scope changes that, bullets don't always hit exactly where the dot says they will but that's dealing with guys who are really small even with Zoom on. Switching to a gun with ridiculous accuracy (97.5?) seemed to help.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
Couldn't agree more.. Borderlands is shit.. Bought it.. Played for 3 hours.. Never looked back at it.. Next time i will just eat my money instead..

Darth Rahu

Critic of the Sith
Nov 20, 2009
Finally, someone who realized that this game was just an overly hyped single player MMO. Thank you Yahtzee, you have not disappointed!

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
For once I found myself agreeing with Yahtzee completely. I usually find he is a bit hard on most games - but this time, I think he was spot on.

I bought the game and after a week, I was tired of shooting the same hockey-masked blokes and skags. And much like Yahtzee, I didn't really enjoy the co-op either - because there was no co-operation between any of the players. (Who were also too busy looking for loot.)

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
This does well embody one of my favorite aspects to the ZP rants. The content to meta-gaming monologue ratio. The extent to which he is critiquing the game is balanced by the way he addresses all of gaming itself.

Fr331anc3r

Nov 6, 2008
Pickleda said:
well it looks like buying mw2 was a good idea cos borderlands doesnt look that good thnx 4 the info yahtzee and so you you know im advertising you on my profile pages (on different sites of course) lol and i watched everyone of your reviews now even if i did watch most of em b4 i joined escapist
I'm glad your mother was able to fork out the cash for MW2, seeing as the grammar of a 4 year old is used here. Yatzee's show is called Zero Punctuation because he supposedly doesn't take breaths during his rant, not because the replies should be posted without them.

Back on topic, the game was a whole lot of meh in single player, and even with friends it was down right frustrating (even with friends) because everyone was playing it like the single player loot-em-up, for which it was.

Zerocyde

Nov 26, 2008
Shadow-Fox said:
HEY!!
I take pictures of my car's odometer every 10.000 km! Why exactly does that put me on the same level as all these MMORPG trolls? At least I leave the house to do that twice a year!
I thought he was joking, people actually do this? What on earth could possibly be the point?

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
ForgottenPr0digy said:
MAG is only multiplayer, thats kinda like volunteering your favorite friend as a grenade tester. and he has no legs.

I'm slightly amazed rough 250 comments in 3 hours. I'm not sure if their hate post or not... scary..

danmega

Feb 10, 2010
I cannot believe I spent 60 ducks on this repetitve garbage heap. Why couldn't yahtzee review this a week ago?! :(

I already bought ME2, and for some reason I can't still long enough to play it for more than an hour. Still a good game, just not for me. Something tells me yahtzee will find a way to rip into it though :p

Niliu

Feb 10, 2010
The only thing I really agree with here is that Borderlands can be a bit repetitive. While its true the game can be fun online, you also have to deal with the people. The people who spend every waking hour of every day trying to find that one better gun that will make them the envy of the entire online community, or so they think. When one tries to play with these people, they constantly feel the need to step on our balls with golf shoes and tell us how bad we suck because we havn't played as obsessivly as them.

To counter these hardcores we get the utter noobs who bought the game and dived into the multi-player right away without getting a grip on the basics of the game. These are the people who spend most of their time looking around and exploring. And while theres nothing wrong with that it slows down the group, and you never know when this noob is going to explore an area filled with guys too high level for all of you and you wind up getting stomped. You then have to carry these noobs through every area teaching them everything they need to know to be a normal player while at the same time fending off the hordes and mutant venus fly-dogs that spawn out of dens almost as fast as your gun can shoot.

The single player I found incredably fun and I rarely ran into the same situation twice... though some were incredibly familiar and some of the boss fights required me to activly search for glitchs for me to hind behind while throwing bullets and dogs with more armor than a tank. When you play through the second time they increase the number of dogs that crawl out of dens and make the bosses so rediculosly over powered you feel like your playing a level one Mage against an eighty Rogue in Warcraft. You die a lot but to be honest it wasn't that bad. The second wind system is nice and is actually exploitable if your fighting a Badass and need to get close ebough to shoot without taking damage. Its a workable tactic. The only boss that gave me serious pause was a giant flying bird, but after spending an hour running around the map trying to find a safe haven I realized it couldn't hit you through overhead cover. i then spent 20 minutes shooting every bullet I had into it while ducking for cover in a building.

Overall I found the game highly enjoyable, though I have to admit I did find the interface annoying, but what am I gonna do? Stop playing?

Fr331anc3r

Nov 6, 2008
NamesAreHardToPick said:
You might be thinking about Fallout 3 rolling dice to determine if a bullet hits or not, you can have your shot perfectly lined up and pull the trigger and the bullet decides it's going to come out sideways or something. That was one of the many many annoying things about that game for me. Borderlands isn't like that at all, if your target fills the crosshairs you're 100% certain to hit.
I'm not sure how looking through the scope changes that, bullets don't always hit exactly where the dot says they will but that's dealing with guys who are really small even with Zoom on. Switching to a gun with ridiculous accuracy (97.5?) seemed to help.
No, I am speaking of Borderlands, hit detection/accuracy aren't totally d20 but the creators of the game have been quoted as it being a mix of actually accuracy (CoD style) and d20 (FO3 style), and it shows.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I love seeing the 5 people every time getting banned for saying first or whatever.

OT: I find it funny when people really like a game and they want Yahtzee to review it. Of all people he is a professional at ripping games apart, he already said that "no one likes when I have to say good things about a game". So what is gonna do to your favorite game? A lot.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Borderlands

Watch Video
Yahtzee, you crazy man, I thought we learned from Smash Bros? People don't want reviews of demanded games, they want you to tell them how good it is. (by that same rate, why the hell they're going to you for a nice review is beyond me.)

fyrsten

Aug 19, 2009
HEHEHE WOW he's angry this time! i sorta knew he'd hate it.

I like it well enough but every single flaw he mentions is absolutely right, i wonder why he did'ntmention the horrible map design and lack of working physics - funnily enough, these are some of the things me and the guy i play it coop with likes about it - that much of it is simply so poorly made, we laugh at it alot.

Also, all the menu screens, the internet gamespy thing, and the compatibility (oh horror) are major failure!
Hate the damn claptrap too

xAFROMANx

Dec 5, 2009
i was hoping he'd review borderlands coz i enjoy it but i knew he'd hate it
now all i'm waiting for is Dante's inferno and a new XBLA video

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
Very well done as usual. I never really cared for Borderlands much myself, but you'd think that some people would just shut up about the game. I'm calling yet more 'Fan Dumb' if you get more hate-mail for the critique. I never heard about the GUI being like that, though. It sounds really dumb; what's wrong with displaying the stats of the weapon you have selected and changing the colour of the numbers on the weapon stats for if it's better or worse than what you have equipped?

I would ask what you thought of the weapon system, though, with all the millions of combinations of different ones you could get as they were generated on the spot, but I can hazard a guess that your response would be something along the lines of "A needless addition that makes it harder to find a particular weapon that works well for you since there's so bloody many of them".

Although, one thing I did notice;
01:17 - I think that's the first time I've ever heard you taking a breath in one of these videos. I take it you missed an edit?

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Talcon said:
NamesAreHardToPick said:
With a good collection already on my hands I've learned to mostly grab guns for cash value. I only look at stats when it's time to sell and often end up keeping 1-2 to replace weapons in my current lineup. Yeah maybe I'm missing some awesome white-letter sniper rifle, but probably not.
FANBOY ALERT. FANBOY ALERT. WE HAVE A FANBOY ON OUR HANDS.
So... He's a fanboy because he enjoys the game? I enjoyed it, too. Am I a fanboy?

Why do I always get sucked in by the obvious trolls?

Sep 11, 2009
Locke89 said:
All the complains are true, but I still love this game. Playing alone or with a few friends. Also this is really the first game that nailed FPS/RPG. Yeah, yeah, Mass Effect blah blah. But MS is still more talking and pausing the menu than shooting people in the face.
Oh god, you just called borderlands a FPS/RPG. You can customize weapons, it's like FPS with an RPG bit, divided by 10.

ME is a RPG/Shooter, and has definetively nailed it. :D And most of the talking is optional, skip it if you don' bother with it. And in ME2 the Action/Shooting part has got bigger focus, without loss of story. :)

And yes I'm a Mass Effect fanboy, and proud of it :D

ffanxii4ever

Mar 20, 2009
sweet, he used a pic of the gelatinous cube mini from WotC's Desert of Desolation booster pack!

Bring on the Gelatinous Cube that is Mass Effect 2!

Aug 4, 2009
I have to admit, I don't care about other people's opinions on games, but I was starting to think that i was the only one who thought that Bordelands was a boring and repetitive as all hell, and I only played a small part.

El Munto

Nov 18, 2009
Me and my girl friend love this game and agree it is only its best in multi player as a co op. Its the only game we can actually agree on except for the sharing of loot. The first time I went on Xbox Live and joined a game was last week and I stumbled on to one of the guys from gear box who I can only guess designed a part of the game and gave me an oooober shied that gives + 500% cash and an alien weapon that that destoys everthink in its path. It was amusing for a few minuits then afterward, quicky got boring and now my girl friend refuses to play anymore games with me. Thanks Gear box ¬_¬ yes I know we can share them or I could just not use them but you dont know this woman she is evil.... I think I've been watching too much ZP .....

Yahtzee Rules !

Osaka-chaness

Jul 4, 2009
Not surprising that you found the game a bit boring. Hell I did as well but since I LOVE guns, I still played it. Nothing is funnier than shooting a fully armored Crimson Lance soldier with an acid sniper rifle and watching him roll around on the ground as he gets disintegrated xD

And I bet even you loved blowing the head off of a midget coming at you with a machete xD

And seeing the shotgun versions of them fall back after every shot >.>;; xD

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
I laughed when I saw that Borderlands was the review this week. Personally I liked the game, got bored of it, hated watching my friends play it, borrowed it and got back into it, got sick of it again and bought Saint's Row 2.
The multiplayer (multiplayer gets spell-checked?) seems to only be fun when you're on an even level with everyone else. If you're even 5 levels below someone you do piss-all for damage to enemies and you're begging for help after two hits from anything. And receiving weapons from friends when they're 15 levels above yours feels infuriating. Plus hearing everyone say the same three lines through the entire game gets old in a day. Did the developers even test this game with the sound on?

RenegadeRed

Aug 26, 2008
Well this is my first time writing in to Zero Punctuation to hello to everyone [Shakes hands] and "Ahoy thar!!" to Yahtzee.

I think Yahtzee's strength is his ability to construct great metaphors: both verbal and visual. It's just a sight to behold and his skill at this has been steadily getting better and better: story is a book, grinding is a tread-cycle, setting is the Middle East, item names are arbitrary, enemies are Jason Vorheys, dying = bedridden, alien = space lobster, ego = internet cocks, public multiplayer = monkeyhouse, mcguffin = towtruck, etc etc etc. Every episode is like a brief lesson in metaphor.

Looking forward to more,

-RR

Axikal

Oct 21, 2009
I agree and disagree with some of the complaints. However, to each their own. Was still a funny video to watch. Here's to whichever title you slag next. I'm curious as to your opinion on Dante's Inferno.

Cyrax023

Jun 27, 2009
he reviwed BORDERLANDS!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am one of the naggers he was talking about btw.

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
Yeah, the menus really are a pain in the arse. Even on the 360 version. I can't actually stand the game for extended periods now, because of how trivial it is.

Well, actually since I hit the level cap I can't really get back on it anymore. However, before that I really enjoyed the game.

wiredk

Jun 1, 2008
This isn't the first time I've caught Yahtzee reviewing a game he hasn't played past the first 5 minutes of, and I doubt it'll be the last.

etherlance

Apr 1, 2009
my friends play this all the time and have a go at me because i got rid of my copy.

frankly after that horribly pathetic excuse for an end game boss/story line my heart just broke and i couldn't bring myself to play it anymore.

I mean i was playing that game all week looking forward to finding the treasure in the vault and what happens?.......

a fucking weak arse tentacle rape scene on some woman i don't give a fuck about only then to find out after killing it, that the creature WAS the vault and I get NOTHING other than some crappy loot and a pat on the back from a seeminly unappreciative holographic women (cant remember her name).

yeah cheers for that borderlands that sure was an epic adventure. . . . . .

Vimbert

Aug 15, 2009
To be honest, I would not-so-secretly take pleasure in seeing Yahtzee review FFXIII and watching him going totally apeshit about how much he hates it. Then he could do a review about a theoretical Branston pickle game the week following so he could recover.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
What class was he again?

I played solo all the way through as the Siren and had a good enough time.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
The worst part is borderlands was almost a great game. All it really needed was adjustable difficulty or a (WORKING) /players 8 command.

Especially after you get one of the more inane weapons.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I know you can have a good time when you play with your friends, but if you can't have fun by yourself, something's wrong. I can't remember the last time I played a game that had a great balance of single player and multiplayer (not MW2)

bachterman

Mar 12, 2009
i played through borderlands with a friend of mine, and it was good fun. we leveled up quickly, and finished the game. end.
no farming, no grinding, no boring stuff, etc.

the review was unbiased, but who the fuck cares? i'm not watching zp to be biased.

Auric

Dec 7, 2009
To be honest, i think the only reason they made a single player campaign is just so they can market if off to people without a a decent internet connection.

Its pretty much a multiplayer game, but eh, i don't care.

SeanthePsycho

Nov 11, 2009
Yahtzee made a good point in the sense of why I have to read objectives when they have voice actors to give out the occassional one liner and grunt who can simply to go to X and kill Y. It reminded me of Dead Rising when I had to read the little text that the janitor was giving me while trying to make sure that zombies didn't eat my jugular viens.

And the vehicles didn't help out either since, if I recall correctly, the left stick was used for steering while the right was used for acceleration. But, in all, it was a decent game I beat in roughly a week.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
His analysis of fanboys requests at the beginning was spot-on. I could never tell what all the people nagging him to do Borderlands were expecting.

Archeangel2009

Dec 26, 2009
thank (insert religious figure here) AVP is coming out soon and the demo is awesome, maybe he will review that instead of most of the shite that he's forced to review... just saying

Shadow-Fox

Nov 11, 2009
Zerocyde said:
Shadow-Fox said:
HEY!!
I thought he was joking, people actually do this? What on earth could possibly be the point?
well go ahaed and use your imagination. I for example just want to have any kind of proof that my car lasted for about double the lifetime others of it's kind usually have.
And if you would just try to think about it rather then just blatantly ask in disbelief, you could probably could think of another dozen reasons.

Joey245

Jan 29, 2009
You'd think the fanboys would have learned by now, if Yahtzee waits this long to review a game, chances are he doesn't like it.

Awesome Review, Mr. Yahtzee.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Although I enjoyed Borderlands with my friends, you basically went over pretty much all of my complaints about the game.

The game was really freaking repetitive, and you did practically face the same enemies over and over again.

WaffleGod

Oct 22, 2008
Anger + yahtzee = epic Zero Punctuation review :).

I have actually borrowed this game from my buddy. Still have it, and it's pretty much what Yahtzee described. The game is repetetive. Do this, gain xp, find a new gun, bla bla bla. They should've called this "Grindland: the quest for slightly less crappy gear".

blacklab

May 21, 2009
Wow, I really liked this one, but I can understand most of his complaints. The most off-putting thing for me was the wonky enemy AI, which he never mentioned.

TheJwalkR

May 20, 2009
Funny review as always. Although I like the game all of his points are valid and it was entertaining to watch.