Zero Punctuation: Borderlands

Fr331anc3r

Nov 6, 2008
Pickleda said:
well it looks like buying mw2 was a good idea cos borderlands doesnt look that good thnx 4 the info yahtzee and so you you know im advertising you on my profile pages (on different sites of course) lol and i watched everyone of your reviews now even if i did watch most of em b4 i joined escapist
I'm glad your mother was able to fork out the cash for MW2, seeing as the grammar of a 4 year old is used here. Yatzee's show is called Zero Punctuation because he supposedly doesn't take breaths during his rant, not because the replies should be posted without them.

Back on topic, the game was a whole lot of meh in single player, and even with friends it was down right frustrating (even with friends) because everyone was playing it like the single player loot-em-up, for which it was.

Zerocyde

Nov 26, 2008
Shadow-Fox said:
HEY!!
I take pictures of my car's odometer every 10.000 km! Why exactly does that put me on the same level as all these MMORPG trolls? At least I leave the house to do that twice a year!
I thought he was joking, people actually do this? What on earth could possibly be the point?

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
ForgottenPr0digy said:
I'm surprised I thought this week might Army of two:40th day or Dante's Inferno or MAG???
MAG is only multiplayer, thats kinda like volunteering your favorite friend as a grenade tester. and he has no legs.

I'm slightly amazed rough 250 comments in 3 hours. I'm not sure if their hate post or not... scary..

danmega

Feb 10, 2010
I cannot believe I spent 60 ducks on this repetitve garbage heap. Why couldn't yahtzee review this a week ago?! :(

I already bought ME2, and for some reason I can't still long enough to play it for more than an hour. Still a good game, just not for me. Something tells me yahtzee will find a way to rip into it though :p

Niliu

Feb 10, 2010
The only thing I really agree with here is that Borderlands can be a bit repetitive. While its true the game can be fun online, you also have to deal with the people. The people who spend every waking hour of every day trying to find that one better gun that will make them the envy of the entire online community, or so they think. When one tries to play with these people, they constantly feel the need to step on our balls with golf shoes and tell us how bad we suck because we havn't played as obsessivly as them.

To counter these hardcores we get the utter noobs who bought the game and dived into the multi-player right away without getting a grip on the basics of the game. These are the people who spend most of their time looking around and exploring. And while theres nothing wrong with that it slows down the group, and you never know when this noob is going to explore an area filled with guys too high level for all of you and you wind up getting stomped. You then have to carry these noobs through every area teaching them everything they need to know to be a normal player while at the same time fending off the hordes and mutant venus fly-dogs that spawn out of dens almost as fast as your gun can shoot.

The single player I found incredably fun and I rarely ran into the same situation twice... though some were incredibly familiar and some of the boss fights required me to activly search for glitchs for me to hind behind while throwing bullets and dogs with more armor than a tank. When you play through the second time they increase the number of dogs that crawl out of dens and make the bosses so rediculosly over powered you feel like your playing a level one Mage against an eighty Rogue in Warcraft. You die a lot but to be honest it wasn't that bad. The second wind system is nice and is actually exploitable if your fighting a Badass and need to get close ebough to shoot without taking damage. Its a workable tactic. The only boss that gave me serious pause was a giant flying bird, but after spending an hour running around the map trying to find a safe haven I realized it couldn't hit you through overhead cover. i then spent 20 minutes shooting every bullet I had into it while ducking for cover in a building.

Overall I found the game highly enjoyable, though I have to admit I did find the interface annoying, but what am I gonna do? Stop playing?

Fr331anc3r

Nov 6, 2008
NamesAreHardToPick said:
You might be thinking about Fallout 3 rolling dice to determine if a bullet hits or not, you can have your shot perfectly lined up and pull the trigger and the bullet decides it's going to come out sideways or something. That was one of the many many annoying things about that game for me. Borderlands isn't like that at all, if your target fills the crosshairs you're 100% certain to hit.
I'm not sure how looking through the scope changes that, bullets don't always hit exactly where the dot says they will but that's dealing with guys who are really small even with Zoom on. Switching to a gun with ridiculous accuracy (97.5?) seemed to help.
No, I am speaking of Borderlands, hit detection/accuracy aren't totally d20 but the creators of the game have been quoted as it being a mix of actually accuracy (CoD style) and d20 (FO3 style), and it shows.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I love seeing the 5 people every time getting banned for saying first or whatever.

OT: I find it funny when people really like a game and they want Yahtzee to review it. Of all people he is a professional at ripping games apart, he already said that "no one likes when I have to say good things about a game". So what is gonna do to your favorite game? A lot.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Borderlands

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Borderlands.

Be sure to join the Zero Punctuation Facebook Fan Page [http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zero-Punctuation/7546255825].

Watch Video
Yahtzee, you crazy man, I thought we learned from Smash Bros? People don't want reviews of demanded games, they want you to tell them how good it is. (by that same rate, why the hell they're going to you for a nice review is beyond me.)

fyrsten

Aug 19, 2009
HEHEHE WOW he's angry this time! i sorta knew he'd hate it.

I like it well enough but every single flaw he mentions is absolutely right, i wonder why he did'ntmention the horrible map design and lack of working physics - funnily enough, these are some of the things me and the guy i play it coop with likes about it - that much of it is simply so poorly made, we laugh at it alot.

Also, all the menu screens, the internet gamespy thing, and the compatibility (oh horror) are major failure!
Hate the damn claptrap too

xAFROMANx

Dec 5, 2009
i was hoping he'd review borderlands coz i enjoy it but i knew he'd hate it
now all i'm waiting for is Dante's inferno and a new XBLA video

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
Very well done as usual. I never really cared for Borderlands much myself, but you'd think that some people would just shut up about the game. I'm calling yet more 'Fan Dumb' if you get more hate-mail for the critique. I never heard about the GUI being like that, though. It sounds really dumb; what's wrong with displaying the stats of the weapon you have selected and changing the colour of the numbers on the weapon stats for if it's better or worse than what you have equipped?

I would ask what you thought of the weapon system, though, with all the millions of combinations of different ones you could get as they were generated on the spot, but I can hazard a guess that your response would be something along the lines of "A needless addition that makes it harder to find a particular weapon that works well for you since there's so bloody many of them".

Although, one thing I did notice;
01:17 - I think that's the first time I've ever heard you taking a breath in one of these videos. I take it you missed an edit?

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Talcon said:
NamesAreHardToPick said:
With a good collection already on my hands I've learned to mostly grab guns for cash value. I only look at stats when it's time to sell and often end up keeping 1-2 to replace weapons in my current lineup. Yeah maybe I'm missing some awesome white-letter sniper rifle, but probably not.
FANBOY ALERT. FANBOY ALERT. WE HAVE A FANBOY ON OUR HANDS.
So... He's a fanboy because he enjoys the game? I enjoyed it, too. Am I a fanboy?

Why do I always get sucked in by the obvious trolls?

Sep 11, 2009
Locke89 said:
All the complains are true, but I still love this game. Playing alone or with a few friends. Also this is really the first game that nailed FPS/RPG. Yeah, yeah, Mass Effect blah blah. But MS is still more talking and pausing the menu than shooting people in the face.
Oh god, you just called borderlands a FPS/RPG. You can customize weapons, it's like FPS with an RPG bit, divided by 10.

ME is a RPG/Shooter, and has definetively nailed it. :D And most of the talking is optional, skip it if you don' bother with it. And in ME2 the Action/Shooting part has got bigger focus, without loss of story. :)

And yes I'm a Mass Effect fanboy, and proud of it :D

ffanxii4ever

Mar 20, 2009
sweet, he used a pic of the gelatinous cube mini from WotC's Desert of Desolation booster pack!

Bring on the Gelatinous Cube that is Mass Effect 2!

Aug 4, 2009
I have to admit, I don't care about other people's opinions on games, but I was starting to think that i was the only one who thought that Bordelands was a boring and repetitive as all hell, and I only played a small part.

El Munto

Nov 18, 2009
Me and my girl friend love this game and agree it is only its best in multi player as a co op. Its the only game we can actually agree on except for the sharing of loot. The first time I went on Xbox Live and joined a game was last week and I stumbled on to one of the guys from gear box who I can only guess designed a part of the game and gave me an oooober shied that gives + 500% cash and an alien weapon that that destoys everthink in its path. It was amusing for a few minuits then afterward, quicky got boring and now my girl friend refuses to play anymore games with me. Thanks Gear box ¬_¬ yes I know we can share them or I could just not use them but you dont know this woman she is evil.... I think I've been watching too much ZP .....

Yahtzee Rules !

Osaka-chaness

Jul 4, 2009
Not surprising that you found the game a bit boring. Hell I did as well but since I LOVE guns, I still played it. Nothing is funnier than shooting a fully armored Crimson Lance soldier with an acid sniper rifle and watching him roll around on the ground as he gets disintegrated xD

And I bet even you loved blowing the head off of a midget coming at you with a machete xD

And seeing the shotgun versions of them fall back after every shot >.>;; xD