Zero Punctuation: Burnout: Paradise

wolfgamesstudios

Oct 16, 2009
i like t and play it alot, but the lack of humans kind of makes me annoyed and not being able to see anything on the effing screen half the time is even worse. oh, and like all the cars die after about one hit sooo.... yeaaaahhhh.. still fun though.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
How funny that I saw a video of Mikael Stanne from Dark Tranquillity playing this in between recording albums.

Brenton Fletcher

Apr 2, 2011
I know this is massive necromancy, but I just got this game recently and wanted to make a couple of points:

* At first it was hard to know which way to go, but eventually I realised (as a couple of other commenters have) that during a race each turn you have to make is signalled at the top of the screen, so as long as you pay attention to the top part of the screen you'll be fine. You don't need to use the map at all during the race (I don't).

* I think the difficulty in paying attention to everything coming at you is more realistic (in a good way) than many racing games - people go on about GT3 which is supposedly realistic, but it was much less interesting/entertaining than this game.

* I honestly didn't mind DJ Atomica - it breaks up the monotony and the complete lack of people in the game. Also, you can turn him off in the settings AFAIK.

* I had previously bought Burnout 3 Takedown for the PS2 and I miss some of the more advanced takedowns of that, and I thought at first that it didn't have the crash mode where you build points - Burnout Paradise does, you just have to hit a hotkey first.

* The only negative to the game in my mind, is the occasional monotony of the races - though it's really up to me to explore and find new races, and there's now DLC for the game which should spice things up a bit.

THAT IS ALL

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
This review is EPIC, my favorite from Yahtzee because he says EXACTLY what I was thinking. Burnout Paradise IS a game that hates players!! And how can anyone defend it's lack of direction by saying watch the top of the screen?? It touts itself as an open world racer; how is it 'open world' when they're signaling a 'closed' track to me via flashing street signs!?