Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - G.I. Joe Villain Kevin Spacey

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Serious question: Why haven't EA and Activision teamed up to make "Call of Duty vs Battlefield"?

Pit the fanboys against each other, rake in the cash.

Edit: And somehow the post above me makes the exact same point independently while I was writing my post.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
May I ask, what kind of problem people have with the whole "Press F"-thing? It is quite literally just "Press <use-key> to interact and continue" - SINCE WHEN DID THAT BECOME A BAD THING? Because it's Call of Duty doing it (despite the fact it did it a lot previously), am I right? Yes, I am.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Bindal said:
May I ask, what kind of problem people have with the whole "Press F"-thing? It is quite literally just "Press <use-key> to interact and continue" - SINCE WHEN DID THAT BECOME A BAD THING? Because it's Call of Duty doing it (despite the fact it did it a lot previously), am I right? Yes, I am.
Immersion. On in this case, the lack thereof.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
So basically it lacks any of the hilariously qualities of its predecessors and is just a pile of bland mush. I think at this point with the series selling less and less every year, Activision is just keep it on as a cheap way to make pocket change until the next big thing.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Alarien said:
Does anyone else here now REALLY REALLY want to play Call of Duty vs. Pinhead?

That sounds fantastic. Especially if you get to play as Pinhead.
Would you get to have a sheep as you commander? The sheep must have a British accent and occasionally talk about Fish and Chips. And can we have a jetpack pig while we're at it?

Wouldn't slow fall just mean that you're a slow moving target for people to hit?

Karthesios

Jul 11, 2010
Funny, too that a friend of mine brought this over last night to show me; got through about half the story campaign in two hours or so. Gave me more reason to watch this week. Anyone else actually press F at the end of the video just for reasons?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Thanatos2k said:
Bindal said:
Immersion. On in this case, the lack thereof.
Yeah, not buying that argument. Those that do bash the game for the funeral scene wouldn't even try to get immersed into the game to begin with because they rather want to bash the franchise.

layne

Jun 14, 2013
I liked the choice of a sheep, but was saddened at his ultimate fate. Great video! *presses F*

tish

Feb 22, 2013
Bindal said:
what kind of problem people have with the whole "Press F"-thing? It is quite literally just "Press <use-key> to interact and continue" - SINCE WHEN DID THAT BECOME A BAD THING? Because it's Call of Duty doing it, am I right? Yes, I am.
I don't think you are. It isn't about the interaction game mechanic which is obviously useful, but the irony of pressing a button to initiate going through the motions of what is supposedly an authentic emotional response. A cynical person might draw parallels to real life ceremony.

Micah Weil said:
I'm surprised you didn't point out that Just Cause 2 was doing the grappling hook thing four years ago...
First time I've seen a grappling hook in a game was in Quake 1 CTF, so I don't understand how JC would come into it.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
I was kinda hoping for an Assassin's Creed Unity and/or Rogue review, but he might be waiting until Unity is actually finished.

Also, I'm fairly certain that if it hadn't been for forum rules, there'd be a lot of posts with just an F in this thread.
On reflection, I do believe that's a good thing.

Having said that: F

THM

Sep 27, 2014
Looks like a game to miss for now, and wait until all of Kevin Spacey's cutscene parts end up on Youtube.

Kind of a pity Yahtzee's going to skip reviewing Borderlands the Pre-sequel, but I guess he's got better things to do than say 'more of the same' for five minutes. :)

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
tish said:
First time I've seen a grappling hook in a game was in Quake 1 CTF, so I don't understand how JC would come into it.
Because Just Cause 2 is in recent memory. Willing to bet a good half of us know what Quake 1 CTF is.

Devieus

Jul 30, 2014
MrFalconfly said:
All I can say is.

"60 bloody Euros?!?"

Seriously. They have the cheek to try and sell this for 60 Euros. I wouldn't buy this for 30 Euros.
Then clearly we are not the target demographic, because they're doing a hell of a job selling it. I don't have any metrics for that, but it's CoD, it'll sell better than the pope, even if the concept is just as old as the papacy.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Devieus said:
MrFalconfly said:
All I can say is.

"60 bloody Euros?!?"

Seriously. They have the cheek to try and sell this for 60 Euros. I wouldn't buy this for 30 Euros.
Then clearly we are not the target demographic, because they're doing a hell of a job selling it. I don't have any metrics for that, but it's CoD, it'll sell better than the pope, even if the concept is just as old as the papacy.
Yeah but still.

60 Euros?

That's 446.95kr (the currency of Denmark).

It's $75.29

£48.05

What do they use all that money for?

The shameless, and insanely inflated marketing?!?

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I remember when Yahtzee mocked games for using PMCs as villains. It's kind of sad that we've reached a point where that's considered an improvement.

I will give the game credit for going the "Objectivist libertarian tries to topple all governments in the world to usher in an era of anarchism" route, though. It's no more realistic than "PMC goes to war against the US and almost wins" angle, but it's at least something I haven't seen before, plus it's refreshing to see Objectivists as the villains again. (And having them be a PMC means I can imagine they're the private covert-ops group from Jay Naylor's comics.)

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
OT: My prediction that Ghosts' dribbling awfulness would make people be less cruel to Advanced Warfare is being proven even more, though it wasn't some kind of master class prediction when MW3 allowed for the quite good Black Ops II to look outright great. Even the Zero Punctuation review of Advanced Warfare wasn't overly mean like it always is, though once more there is no mention of the Co-Op mode because that might actually lead to the Black Ops affair where good things could be said about the game (though I haven't played AW's co-op mode yet).

Aiddon said:
So basically it lacks any of the hilariously qualities of its predecessors and is just a pile of bland mush. I think at this point with the series selling less and less every year, Activision is just keep it on as a cheap way to make pocket change until the next big thing.
I think this sums up Ghosts, and in the Call of Duty series can only sum up Ghosts.

ErwinGodfrey

Jul 17, 2012
Too bad Yahtzee didn't play against the bots or try the endurance mode, he would've gotten a good sense of the MP experience without ever having to deal with his fellow man.

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
You know why all the CoD games stick to the same formula (sniper mission, rail shooter mission on a turrent, etc...)? Because when they did All Ghillied Up and the AC-130 sections in CoD4, people loved them for being innovative and unique. In a world dominated at the time by generic-as-fuck WWII shooters with the same constant formula (AKA ripping off Saving Private Ryan), Modern Warfare with its use of a present-day setting, large-scale setpieces and mission variety was a breath of fresh air. But they keep trying to recapture that, not realizing that by doing so they're making a new set of cliches that something else is going to come along and break.