Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

cyvaris

May 10, 2011
Gearhead mk2 said:
CentralScrtnzr said:
There's a theme that's become more and more apparent lately in Yahtzee's work--mean-spirit towards the US, hatred of all things particularly associated with the US, false association of guns with gun-nuts.

Anyways, I got bored and had to do something else.
In fairness, when America stops making midless racist pro-imperlist America Fuck Yeah games where the main goal is to protect America from any arab or russian that looks at the US funny, he'll probably stop complaning about them.
So never?

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
After MW3 I just had enough of the series. After Oliver North was announced as a consultant, I just said "nope.avi" and went back to my backlog of books.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
cyvaris said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
CentralScrtnzr said:
There's a theme that's become more and more apparent lately in Yahtzee's work--mean-spirit towards the US, hatred of all things particularly associated with the US, false association of guns with gun-nuts.

Anyways, I got bored and had to do something else.
In fairness, when America stops making midless racist pro-imperlist America Fuck Yeah games where the main goal is to protect America from any arab or russian that looks at the US funny, he'll probably stop complaning about them.
So never?
Yeah, prettymuch. I hate humanity sometimes...

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Gorumgol said:
I'm sad he didn't mention that Activision hired a war criminal to advertise this game for them.
Woah, I hadn't heard about that, could you please link to the sauce?

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Assassin Xaero said:
I didn't know who it was with the bag over their head...

I knew it wasn't who they said it was, but I thought the guy you shot was still following me, or at least somewhere around me. I did zone out a bit while playing that level.
It was pretty easy to tell, you just have to pay attention to the cutscenes throughout the mission of Old Man Woods telling the story. It's pretty clear that "that person" didn't make it through the mission, furthermore I believe it's the cutscene just before the deed is done that David Mason says "Tell me that fat greaseball didn't do him in." to which Woods says "It didn't go down like that kid." And then you play "that part" of the mission...pretty obvious by that point who the dude with the bag on his head was. That's why I didn't go for a headshot! :3 and got a good ending for it.
Ahh, that makes sense considering that was the one cut scene I did skip... or maybe I was checking my phone... Figures...

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
Gorumgol said:
Church185 said:
Gorumgol said:
I'm sad he didn't mention that Activision hired a war criminal to advertise this game for them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm5PZGb3OyQ

If you don't know who this guy is, well here's his story in a funny song form:

http://www.heavy.com/comedy/comedy-videos/funny-videos/2010/11/american-dad-oliver-north-song/
Does that make it interesting that the main motivation for the villain for hating America is because of the actions of the Contras?

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
You know what screw this shit. I'm tired of Cod and BF getting shit on by Yahtzee everytime one comes out, so I'll say this "fuck serious sam" . I picked up SS3 during the steam sale and you want to know what's freaking boring and uninteresting? Walking through a deserted town for ten minutes with no indication on where to got and finding only one enemy and tapping the "Kill Shit" melee button to get past him.

Else I picked up Painkiller as well. It bored me just as much as SS3 did. I couldn't quit fast enough to play TF2. This made realise a couple things. One, Yahtzee has extremely opposite tastes to my own when it comes to shooters. BulletStorm, Borderlands 1 & 2, CoD:BO2, even Duke Nukem Forever he trashes all of these and I personally enjoyed every single one as opposed to his recommendations And two a game can have as many unique and colorful enemies and guns as is possible to fit on the disc, yet still turn out to be shit. i.e. Painkiller

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Gorumgol said:
Church185 said:
Gorumgol said:

http://www.heavy.com/comedy/comedy-videos/funny-videos/2010/11/american-dad-oliver-north-song/
...ok, that's just freaking DESPICABLE. Have you no shame Treyarch?!

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Gorumgol said:
Church185 said:
Gorumgol said:

Thank you, seems like this guy was selling weapons to Iran a long time ago. I learned something today.

Waddles

Mar 16, 2010
Oh how this reminded me of the Yahtzee of old... brings a nostalgic tear to the eye!

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
This game is not racist and the villain is shown as sympathetic.
The two guys in your unit who turn on you have good reasons.
Farid does it only to maintain his cover and is depressed enough about it that he takes a bullet later to save someone else and Salazar is angered at US forign policy and decadence just like Manandez. The Mullah Rahman betrayal especially due to him saying "you will always be our true enemy" does ,however, look anti-Muslim. At least they could have told us that Manandez convinced him that the Americans would betray him so he acted in revenge.
The Lahore level also raises some doubts because of all the fake Arabic despite the Pakistani soldiers speaking Urdu in a proper Punjabi accent and they are actually talking about the downed drone like your partner tells you.They could have asked the voice actors to give them some Urdu words, they could have used Google to check what Lahore looked like but instead they used fake Arabic for a country where almost no one actually speaks Arabic. Thinking like this would be like us thinking all Catholics speak and write Latin.
The only Arabic word that CoD has gotten right is "Rose" which is apparently the name of a franchise store in CoD world's Muslim areas because it shows up in almost every CoD game.
In Battlefield 3, the Arabic word for Hotel (Fandaq) is correct and so are several other pieces of written Arabic and Farsi.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
lord.jeff said:
Can we get over this fallacy of liking something I don't like makes you an idiot?
Get over it?!? Hell it appears to be picking up steam every day. Pretty soon we will just be reenacting the opening scene of Gangs of New York whenever somebody likes something another person doesn't.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Hmm, didn't even mention Zombies or Multiplayer.

When that is all ANYONE ELSE is talking about and pretty much the entire reason for the series success. Seriously, hardly anyone gives a shit about the single player.

Serious now: did I miss the memo when he said he categorically refuses to consider multiplayer, because he didn't state anything like that since he reviewed the ONLINE GAME of DayZ only 2 months ago.

Jan 22, 2011
That's not fair Ben, I only play this for the multi player pfttt, this is no longer valid argument. Oh I miss the old days of playing shooter game while having fun.

Treblaine said:
Hmm, didn't even mention Zombies or Multiplayer.

When that is all ANYONE ELSE is talking about and pretty much the entire reason for the series success. Seriously, hardly anyone gives a shit about the single player.

Serious now: did I miss the memo when he said he categorically refuses to consider multiplayer, because he didn't state anything like that since he reviewed the ONLINE GAME of DayZ only 2 months ago.
you must have missed yatzee's memo about multiplayer in games. If your only selling point is just multiplayer then you are doing it wrong. A fps game needs a strong single player campaign to stand on it's and engage you with a compelling story.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
Connor Lonske said:
i like how zero punctuation for a big game like Call of Duty or Halo comes out about a week or two so after the game in question comes out, hence meaning his opinion and critique on the game falls on ether deaf ears because they already played the game or never were going to anyways.

i also wonder why that is and who's causing it. both it being the work of yahtzee or the escapist seem equally likely, although i'm pretty sure if it's yahtzee who causes these games to be reviewed so late after release it's likely for him having a fucked up crazy schedule and nothing else.

and obviously i have nothing to say about the escapist staff at all nor am i implying anything. those guys sure are great. totally not sold ou-*is shot by an assassin before i can finish my sentence*
People want to see Yahtzee rip games to shreds in the most entertaining way possible and the mere mention of codblops in a slightly controversial fashion is sure to summon a Flamewar of Ad Revenue Attraction.

I don't see the big mystery here. Yahtzee's doing 5-minute rundowns touching on some negative parts in funny ways, not complex and balanced analyses.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
Church185 said:
Gorumgol said:
Church185 said:
Gorumgol said:

Thank you, seems like this guy was selling weapons to Iran a long time ago. I learned something today.
To be fair it was back in the day when the Iranians and Iraqis were fighting against each other and the communists