Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

Kelgair

May 20, 2012
Huh, I thought Yahtzee was smarter than that. He actually fell for the white privilege bullshit line.

Rikortez

Jan 17, 2011
Remember guys, check your white privilege at least twice a day. And if any minority insults or is racist towards you, its your own fault for being a privileged white male cis.

Seriously, i was very disappointed Yahtzee, never expect this kind of thing coming from you.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Crikey, Yahtzee, what have you done? I can't remember a flame war like this since your review of 'Super Smash Bros. Brawl'. I find it hard to say anything original on the topic, since you have already covered most of it. I will be honest in saying that I find these flag waving, semi-imperialistic games tiresome in the extreme. Yet, at the same time, I tend to usual play historical grand strategy games like Total War. Am I being hypocritical here or is there a genuine disconnect between the game play and events? Especially since the Ottoman Empire has been officially defunct for close to a century.

ARCTIC_EAGLE

Dec 31, 2011
OK, let me be clear, I have and always will LOVE COD. Its by far the greatest FPS ever made, probably the best game ever made. Some people are saying I'm a troll, misquoting me, misleading others but let me say this, I have and never will hate COD, its an amazing masterpiece. To my fellow COD lovers out there, stay strong, no matter what others might say we are right because our game is popular. Like Apple, COD/Activision is perfect due to its popularity. No game can hold a candle to this amazing piece of programing. I am disappointed that Yahtzee can not see the gray-brown goodness that is COD, it stays true to what made COD4 amazing, by being almost the same, and we all know innovation comes from doing the exact same thing forever. Also you're all just jelly you can't shoot as well as me and will never have my amazing KDR.

Karavision

Oct 13, 2011
Zero Serenity said:
Also, help from Moviebob on Oliver North:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l9jnevggnc
Fucking Moviebob....

As a black transwoman (essentially a minority in a minority in a minority) I love his focus on making sure that no one is invisible and that no biased slight is below our notice but damn is he ever going to try to see the world through a lens other than his own?

On another note, that was my first time ever seeing him and he is rather cute.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ah dear lord, what the Hell happened? I went away for a couple of hours and all of a sudden this whole thread devolved into a talk about racism? Jesus Christ, why does this crap always happen?

Also some people are saying that it's impossible to be racist against white people...isn't that kinda like saying that it's impossible for a man to be raped? Yeah it doesn't happen nearly as often, but you can't deny that it exists.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
SOCIALCONSTRUCT said:
Wow I've never heard people whine about white privilege before. Its pretty exiting and edgy. Please tell me more about POC first world problems. Yatzee is risking his job by having such dangerous political opinions!

Yatzee appears to be morphing into another Bob Chipman. Oh well, it was good while it lasted.
Exciting and edgy? Not really. A welcome occurence when community favourites like Yahtzee (as opposed to hobbyist sociology minors) makes a point of adressing the issue? Absolutely.

Slightly unrelated; oh, the white tears in this thread. Om nom nom. They sustain me.
Nobody has, to my knowledge, ever claimed that white people cannot be subject to racial prejudice. It is absolutely a possibility, and to claim otherwise would be foolish. But to equate that to the systemics of racial oppression suffered by people of colour? Asinine.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
Ultratwinkie said:
Rikortez said:
Remember guys, check your white privilege at least twice a day. And if any minority insults or is racist towards you, its your own fault for being a privileged white male cis.

Seriously, i was very disappointed Yahtzee, never expect this kind of thing coming from you.
Unless whites are rounded up and stuck in a concentration camp like Hispanics are in some western red states, its not true racism on the scale other races face.
Citation please?

I'm fairly certain there has never been concentration camps setup in the US for a singular race since WWII when FDR and the rest of his party got loony and sent all the people with Japanese ethnicity to camps

6SteW6

Mar 25, 2011
Wait a sec...so Yahtzee doesn't like Military shooters?? I'm lost.

Honestly though, as Much as I love the Spunkgargleweewee reviews, it is starting to feel a bit like picking on a retarded kid. I feel guilty when I laugh, but the laughter never stops!

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
This one was kind of hard to take seriously since Yahtzee complained about all the games being the same but didn't give a single mention to the choices within the game, which were implemented really well for the most part. (Some were kind of confusing though, like giving you a 'Press F or Space' during the segment with Farid. It would have been better to just let you use the gun yourself.)

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
Arif_Sohaib said:
The Lahore level also raises some doubts because of all the fake Arabic despite the Pakistani soldiers speaking Urdu in a proper Punjabi accent and they are actually talking about the downed drone like your partner tells you.They could have asked the voice actors to give them some Urdu words, they could have used Google to check what Lahore looked like but instead they used fake Arabic for a country where almost no one actually speaks Arabic. Thinking like this would be like us thinking all Catholics speak and write Latin.
The only Arabic word that CoD has gotten right is "Rose" which is apparently the name of a franchise store in CoD world's Muslim areas because it shows up in almost every CoD game.
A lot of the signage in the Lahore level were recycled textures from Modern Warfare 2. I remember the "Fariha Market" sign from the "Invasion" multiplayer map, and there are some others too.

It does seem like a lazy shortcut to take, when they went to the trouble of getting genuine Urdu voice acting for the soldiers, which is pretty neat. Maybe the graphics people and the voice-recording people weren't talking to each other.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I liked it when CoD was still in World War II. Yeah, it's still as ludicrous as it is now, but at least then you might've tangentially learned something about history.

Regardless, you know it's going to make a mint off the stooges who just want to see crap blow up. I however do not enjoy the Spunkgargleweewee genre. Spunkgargleweewee BlOPs is, so buy it I will not.