Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
tifa77 said:
I'm British and I'm not ashamed of my country. I'm sad to see that isn't the case for you Yahtzee. Taking the piss out of the brits for all being tea drinkers with bad teeth or all Americans are fat is totally fine but saying that we should all feel guilty and apologize for simply being born white is absurd. Why do people in the entertainment industry all jump on the white guilt bandwagon?

I'm glad I listened to your audiobook beforehand as it would have effected my enjoyment of it. I will still look forward to next week as whatever your views are, at least the vast majority of your content is funny.
Huh, I guess I didn't see that. Maybe because I think that us white people in first-world countries are some of the most privileged people in the world.

My download speed can go well above 1 mb/s if I'm downloading from the right server and I could probably emulate the playstation 2 on my 5-year-old computer. I'm sure new computers could emulate the PS3. I have a massive flatscreen monitor and if I suddenly get bored with my technological wonder, I could go out and watch my 50-inch TV. By the by, I've had nothing but shit temp jobs through-out my life. In any other kind of country or as any other kind of race, I'm sure I'd be struggling my ass off just to eat. Not to say that other races are getting better footing in America but Yahtzee is still, technically, correct right now.

My mother has this friend (who is white) who owns three massive houses outright and who is, right as I'm writing this, probably complaining about how is sister is taking all of their parents money through legal means. In America, the only time such a fervor was made over a president's birthplace was over a black man... the latest notable occurrence being rich white guy threatening not to give five million dollars to people who need help if he didn't get a birth certificate. I know we like to live in a fantasy world of love and gumdrops but there is no need to get so... ahem:

BUTTHURT

...when someone points out that we're still doing pretty amazingly when it comes to acting like entitled white people. Admittedly I don't know how it is in Britain, but I'm sure if you sat down to think about it, you could come up with a massive list of modern events where entitled white people were being racist. I could go find a youtube video of some British white guy acting all indignant that Arab people live near him.

Also, I'm not sure where he asked people to apologize. Did I miss a forum post somewhere? Because he certainly didn't ask for an apology in the video.

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
Rastelin said:
Oh silly kids. Yahtzee is paid for giving funny and critical reviews. I however will share his bed on this issue.
Please explain to me what new elements Black Ops 2 introduce to the already stuffed turkey of bloated over hyped first person shooters?
Well there was umm... And that thing with the thing... And err...

Suplax868686

May 1, 2011
Did anybody else catch the LIMBO reference?
(A spider with seven legs pulled off, in the same position as that boss fight that gave me several dozen nightmares)

Yahtzee, don't ever change.

MrNelg

Nov 20, 2009
This is the first ZP review I decided not to fully watch. The instant I saw what he was reviewing, I thought to myself, He's going to spend the whole review talking about the imbalance of the villains to the hero's, and he'll some how managed to shoe horn in the phrase, ?right-wing gun wank.? And low and behold, he did. This is the problem I have with ZP these days; It's too bloody predictable. I used to love the old days when every review was a mystery. Now, you can pretty much guess what's going to happen with titles he's going to review. I know Yahtzee hates the lack of innovation and story telling in these types of games but he could at least try to throw us a curve ball.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Only thing I remember from this game was the fact that the melee attack somehow managed to look even less convincing than before.

"I KNIFE YOU IN THE SOUL"
"BLARG! I AM DEAD!"

And that's all I can remember because every moment I see it it looks more and more unmemorable and bland.
Give it a few years, and you could probably use this game to induce selective amnesia.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
Enosh_ said:
the tower defense is just one of the strike force missions...
GonzoGamer said:
This game got me thinking that the next "Just Cause" game would be really cool if it was futuristic.

I dig that he pointed out how horribly pedestrian the campaigns for FPSs have been this generation. Sure, people mostly spend time in multiplayer but considering they have two different COD franchises now, they should try doing something interesting with at least one of them; and yes that doesn't mean stapling (Tower Defense) minigames onto it. I wont write off strategy, but they should put a little more effort than that. Or how about an open world CoD like Far Cry or Fallout.

The thing is that I like playing CoD multiplayer but I got the last one and when I feel like playing a game like that, I'll play the last one. Changing up the SP campaign would probably be the best way of getting more people to buy every installment.
*facepalm*
This is probably the best COD SP since COD4 not kidding the whole story revolves around several choices in the game. you can save the world or let it go to shit you can actually beat the villain but lose in the big picture. making things better just about half the Choices in the game are never presented AS choices they just put you in a situation and let you react in few ways. that is certai nly "interesting"

cobalt358

Sep 16, 2011
yahtzee knew exactly what he was doing, he knew the review would stir up a shitstorm and he played it to the max.

anyone who takes his "reviews" seriously is an idiot. he's torn right into games that i love and i couldn't care less, because it's always been about entertainment. if he tears down a game that i hold dear it doesn't matter as long as i get a laugh out of it, it's when they're not funny that i'm dissapointed.

as someone who couldn't care less about CoD one way or another seeing the levels of butthurt here is amazing (and highly amusing). but that's what this review was all about anyway, starting a shitstorm.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
People seriously, is going at each other like this really solving anything? Can we please just put down the race topic and walk away? Can we stop talking about politics and talk more about video games?

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
I love Yahtzee, but I'm getting really sick of his criticisms of Modern Shooters, I get it, he doesnt like them. And he doesnt like multiplayer either which really makes it seem strange that he even reviews them.
I know he's said in the past that a game should stand up on its single player, but Its not something I agree with, and its just his opinion. I'd rather he look at other games rather than Modern Shooters since those reviews are usually funny, and not hate filled rants

shrimpcel

Sep 5, 2011
ObsidianJones said:
Honestly, this whole thread has made me severely uncomfortable with all the seething going on.

For a little bit, I think I'm going to feel uncomfortable being a non-white escapist member. There's just... a lot of anger here.
You should hide for a while, I don't think it's safe out here.

OT: Zero Punctuation tells it how it is, once again.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
cobalt358 said:
yahtzee knew exactly what he was doing, he knew the review would stir up a shitstorm and he played it to the max.

anyone who takes his "reviews" seriously is an idiot. he's torn right into games that i love and i couldn't care less, because it's always been about entertainment. if he tears down a game that i hold dear it doesn't matter as long as i get a laugh out of it, it's when they're not funny that i'm dissapointed.

as someone who couldn't care less about CoD one way or another seeing the levels of butthurt here is amazing (and highly amusing). but that's what this review was all about anyway, starting a shitstorm.
My problem with it is that when he does these reviews, they stop being funny since its just the same points he's mentioned before, and instead of going for jokes he mainly just spews hate.

I watch Yahtzee's reviews to laugh, not listen to 5 minutes of him repeatedly stating how much he dislikes the modern shooter genre

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Its been sad to see the decline of the CoD series. From CoD4, which Yahtzee put up with the likes of Portal and Jesus Christ, to this meandering pile of coded nonsense. I immediately hated every character the second they were on screen. One looks like a character from Trailer Park Boys on steroids. And whats with not wearing helmets? I saw Saving Private Ryan- the dude without the helmet gets shot in the head. Don't be a hero- wear a helmet. It's war, not a bicycle.

Jakisthe

Nov 29, 2012
Shame. It's a great game, with a fun, varied SP and always frantic MP. I've heard roughly zero reasons why it's a bad military shooter, or why such games are bad to begin with. And no, having other games do the same thing does not make another game bad, nor does having a bombastic, ridiculous story. The game have, in my opinion, only gotten better. CoD4 was awful: unbalanced perks, even more linear levels, less options for approach, more enemy threshold spawns, etc. BO2 is easily the best in the series so far, but as I'm sure that you'll all categorize this under the "b..but but games with bullets are bad for some reason!", I'd be surprised if you got this far. Not that it really speaks poorly of you or bothers me; I'm already enjoying the game.

As for the racism thing: it's really not here. It's not in the game, there is no "jingoist" nonsense, just having guns does't make a person a gun nut, the main villain is a drug dealer (as opposed to "just being non-white"),and the characters are (for video games), generally well written. Perhaps not particularly complex, but well written.

Oh, and seriously? This conversation has gotten incredibly stupid. Know what's bad, inexcusable, and still exists? Racism towards blacks, even if it goes much deeper than can be mediated on such a superficial level and most people aren't actually actively racist. Know what's still bad, inexcusable, and exists? Racism towards whites. Just because one group of people is disadvantaged and mocked doesn't make it ok to disadvantage and mock another group of people on a smaller scale.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Rastelin said:
Anchupom said:
Well there was umm... And that thing with the thing... And err...
Well to be fair to Black Ops 2. There was... umm... But wait!... There was... err...

Yes you sit there, just realizing there is a lot of graphics, but nothing new. Games does not amount to much
compared to the real problems we struggle with daily, but once in avail it would be nice to pay for something worth while.

The latest series I found worth the money was the Walking Dead. Was different.
New things in Black Ops 2? For Singleplayer, I can list quite a few things right away:
1 - Strike Force. Can't remember ANY previous FPS ever to have optional RTS missions, where you can also take control over your guys.
2 - Choices, which affect the story (not the gameplay, unfortunally). New for CoD.
3 - Customisable loadout before the campaign missions. Last time I saw that was probably a Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon (Advanced Warfighter)... so quite a while.

For Zombies
1 - TranZit (addional rules for Survival, A LOT larger map)
2 - Grief (a mode)

So, yes, BO2 does bring quite a few new things to the table - don't say otherwise.

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
Glad I didnt bother to buy it but then as much as I value and enjoy Ben's thoughts I rarely base my purchasing decisions on them. No I didnt buy it for a far more fundamental reason, Im just over these games now.

Modern Warfare was SO GOOD it was just a brilliant game. It had a connected story, developed characters and excellent gameplay with setpieces that really felt like a shitstorm of combat. The level where you have to wait for the helicopter after sniping the main villain and blowing his arm off was just awesome. There were limitless ways to play that level and I must have put 20 hours in just trying to perfect it and I enjoyed every minute.

Bad Company was excellent, Bad company 2 was good but not great. As for the rest both around and since, sadly, sadly including BF3 (Played BF2 for like years straight and still fire it up in PR) are just more of the same, same, sameness.

Im going to be picking up a copy of Far Cry 3, because for me if shooters are going to continue to interest me, they need to be more than just Wolfenstien 2012 on rails and that is extremely sadly where this is heading right now.

Imagine for a minute ARMA 2 unit accuracy and detail/realism, with useable controls, ARMA 2 scale maps, a series of objectives for 2 or more sides and say 64-132 players per side with BLOPS/BF3 level graphics! Why arnt we seeing a games like that instead of more of this unimaginative cashing in behaviour. Its lazy and I wish gamers would stop rewarding this second rate farming of a hungry market by flocking to buy the crap.

/rant off