Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Grach said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
I'm not mad at Yahtzee. That rage was directed at YOU. And by you I mean the entire Escapist community. Every single one. Just one huge blanket of contempt for every user.
What the hell did I do?

You know what? I have an idea for a modern military shooter. It would be set in a alternate timeline where World War 1 never happened, so Europe would've been locked in the armed peace period throughout all of the XX century, with hostilities starting in early 2010. You play as Wilhelm Schneider and as Boris Gorodetsky, a german imperial frontline soldier and as a russian saboteur respectively. With both, you experience the start of the war all jacked up with nationalism for both parties which starts getting overshadowed by the horrid atrocities you experience or commit during the campaign, as you witness the nerve shriveling gun fire of the frontlines and the more morally questionable missions your respective goverments send you to do. The old strategies would have to brutally adapt to new weapons such as sarin gas, white phosphorus and radiological weapons used freely, finally coming to terms with the lunacy and hatred that warfare entails.

This would imply a vastly different warzone, as tanks are not as advanced, planes are mostly used for recon with nuclear weapons being phased out for more cost efficient thermobaric ordenance (the world would run on nuclear power mostly).

What do you think? It would be better than what we have now?
I would very much like to play that game. It would certainly be a lot more interesting, especially with the nuclear powered everything. (and hopefully kickass old-timey facial hair)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Machine Man 1992 said:
Says the person who obviously couldn't proof read his own post.

Or were you crying too hard to even attempt proper grammar?
me?...crying?

go back and look over your past posts..then tell me who was "crying".I still don't get what your fucking problem is aside is, aside from the fact you don;t like some of the users so you throw a tantrum, any other group you'd like to generalise? women? gay people? people of other race? "gamers"? do you lump most groups together as the same thing because you don't like a few?

my gramma/spelling may not be perfect but I still stand by what I said

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Demonio Penguino said:
And here we have exhibit "A" of the modern gamer: the rabid idiot.
The absolute most common type of modern gamer, traits include raving about how Call of Duty is the greatest game ever and how anyone who says otherwise deserves to die.
I'm a modern gamer and I've never played COD and I'm not that fanboy-ish

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
I am talking about white privilege in America. The same place where the civil rights movement was in the 1970s and still continues now. Hardly 150 years ago.

And Again. I am not talking about YOU PERSONALLY. White Privilege exist in a STATISTICAL SPACE. A level BIGGER THAN YOU.
yeah i know where you're talking about, and id still like to see some charts.
This is the cycle:

Racism devalues black man. Gets lower wage.[

Black man raises child.

Chance A -> Child just happens to work hard. White child accepted into college instead of him.
yes, i can get a scholarship for being white....oh wait no i cant, but minorities can even if they have a GPA of 1.7
Child works in low wage environment in a college job oriented country. Rinse and repeat.
thats everyone.....EVERYONE. thats not even remotely black exclusive, or minority exclusive.
If Child is accepted, the child has a harder time getting work because of his race.
unless a company needs to fill their bullshit affirmative action quota.
Chance B -> Family can't afford college.

Child works in low wage under crippling college debt. Child couldn't find work due to his race. Rinse and repeat until hope is dead.
again, how is that black or minority exclusive? you think white people have a money tree? we dont.
Hell, A California did a study on this in 2003.
oh this ought to be good.
Racism has practically screwed minorities either into a never ending cycle of poverty or limiting how high a normal person can achieve. Its much like the feminist's use of the word "glass ceiling." A poverty cycle that is very hard to break and very easy to slip back into. Its still a very real problem, and that is the reason affirmative action EXISTS. Its so the poverty cycle CAN be broken and that EVERYONE has the SAME chances at life. Its not reverse racism, its helping people have a shot at escaping the ghetto and actually have hope of doing something without fear of sliding back into poverty.
ok first off. thats not a study, thats a bullshit statement. i'll tell you what the problem is....trying to push 'white privilege ' or 'white guilt' and creating a scapegoat per se, to where the 'victim' can casually blame their short comings on someone else instead of bettering themselves and improving...of course, gang culture and sheer moral corruption in popular culture isnt helping either.
But we don't live in that perfect world. Not everyone has the same chances you have and not everyone is treated the same. Its an appealing sentiment, but not a realistic one that takes real world problems into account.
of course it isnt a perfect world, racism does exist, slavery DID happen (to everyone, it isnt remotely back exclusive) everyone has been a dick to everyone else at one point or another..
but luckily, America has finally come to the point where everyone is on equal ground. You cant use racism as an excuse anymore. racism is not the reason why 30% of blacks live in poverty, its not the reason why the biggest killers of black men are other black men. the real reason is the culture they live in. and its not all of them, but its a too large amount.
yes, every now and then, racism will strike, but its not as big of a problem as people say. and to say its a big reason why blacks and other minorities have a higher poverty rate or a harder time in this country is a narrow minded, claim used to make people feel better and not have to rely as much on self responsibility.
its as ignorant as a trailer trash white fat bastard blaming jews for his poverty.

We are not a post race society yet. Thousands of years of racism doesn't go away over night or when Obama took office. There is still a lot of ways to go. A lot of issues that need to be solved.
there is no such thing. there will never be such a thing. besides the fact i can honestly say ive experienced more openly racist blacks than whites, any anthropologist will tell you race is not skin deep, its body structure, mindset, and (controversial statement ahead, dont take it the wrong way) intelligence. not to mention culture and environmental differences.
instead of viewing everyone as 'the human race' we should acknowledge and work with the differences in race and ethnicity, then you will become a truly tolerant nation. the more you push us together, the more we repel, you have to find the right spot to where we have the perfect pull and push. odd magnetic analogy but you should be able to get my drift.
To say that minorities don't work hard is like breaking a man legs then blaming him for his leg being broken. Its unfair, and frankly exudes a persecution complex.
im not saying because you're of a certain race you dont work hard, i claim that certain races (not the whole race, but a large chunk) have come under mindset that has the consequence that they don't need to work as hard. and i know people are going to impale me on a pike for that, but you people know im right because we over compensated for racism and started pandering.
No one is coming to hurt you. The "scary" black man isn't scary.

i could be a smart ass and post the stat that whites are more likely to be a victim of a black on white crime than the other way around by a significant margin....but im just going to move on.

The woman isn't coming to castrate you and take your stuff. To use this "us vs them" mentality against helping correct problems set in motion in the past is severely paranoid. Around the same level as people who think Red Dawn will happen in 2012. This mentality on the Escapist has to stop because it stopped being cute and is now well into the "creepy" category and getting extremely near "Fox News" level of fear.
oh good, a fox news joke....nice to see we're aiming high...also red dawn is a movie...just a movie. and a fun one with patrick swayze and the kid from drake and josh.

also im not 'scared of women' im scared people are going to believe these STUPID women who believe they're oppressed or discriminated over the most trivial bullshit. tax payers dont need to pay for your birth control lady, either have some self control or learn to do the 69...which will make both parties happy.

the worst ones are the ones walking around topless with writing in marker on them saying "Still not asking for it" when ...yes....you are.....you honest to god are. no matter how you put it, you're just asking for trouble doing stupid shit like that. if i went around without pants and underwear, i guarantee someone will kick me in the balls.

Also, this 'war on women' thing is nothing more and a left wing media created controversy that didnt exist until they had to get Romney out of the presidential picture.
which is ironic, because the republican politicians actually paid their women more...and hired them more...and bush had more minority cabinet members than Clinton or Obama.

So in short, white [male] privilege is nothing more than a scapegoat to shrug off responsibility, to pander, or to falsely explain stuff that if one where to explain they'd be labeled as a sexiest/racist/bigot/ ect....or a fox news contributor if your on Reddit or the escapist or you think you have a sense of humor. *cough* john Stewart*cough*

also you never did post those Charts and graphs.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
CrossLOPER said:
Ultratwinkie said:
White privilege is saying whites DON'T GET AS MUCH RACISM AS OTHERS. Not that you automatically suck or evil, just more fortunate STATISTICALLY.

It DOESN'T mean you are automatically rich, but what it DOES MEAN is that you are statistically more fortunate and more LIKELY open with your life. At the end of the day that's what matters, statistics. People don't focus on whites because they encompass ALL aspects of social class and are not bound by largely by racial rules. Minorities, and women LARGELY DON'T HAVE THE SAME UPWARD MOBILITY.

When taking all the statistics into account, whites are more fortunate in a number of areas and are not restricted as much as others.

If you are not EXTREMELY effected by a form of discrimination STATISTICALLY, that is privilege. That's all it means. That's all it ever meant. It was never meant that you're evil in official circles.

Its just a numbers game through statistics and number crunchers. A term to describe DISPARITIES in STATISTICAL GRAPHS.

The only way one can interpret that as hatred is the same people who thought "death panels" meant Obama was going to start killing everyone.
Does this sort of argument not seem to imply that peoples' races are rolled like some demented D&D game and that everyone in the world has a default disposition toward people of a certain race? There are most certainly other factors involved and to suggest some sort of privilege for a race seems extreme.
You're statistically more likely to roll up terrible stats, but the silver lining is that you get a totally sweet henchman called the 'white-guilt leftie'.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Vault101 said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Says the person who obviously couldn't proof read his own post.

Or were you crying too hard to even attempt proper grammar?
me?...crying?

go back and look over your past posts..then tell me who was "crying".I still don't get what your fucking problem is aside is, aside from the fact you don;t like some of the users so you throw a tantrum, any other group you'd like to generalise? women? gay people? people of other race? "gamers"? do you lump most groups together as the same thing because you don't like a few?

my gramma/spelling may not be perfect but I still stand by what I said
Alright, let me explain.

After reviewing the past 13 pages of some of the most asinine, white guilting, creator fellating, pseudo intellectual bullshit, I felt then would have been a good time to unleash a years worth of hate, scorn, and bile upon these cretins.

These jack wads who generalize all players of FPSs as raging homophobes, neo-conservative extremists, as the lowest of the gaming totem pole. I makes me angry.

The Escapist forums are the most homogenized and disgusting forums on teh interwebz, full of idiots who can't not follow the herd like a bunch of sheep in ironic t-shirts. NEWS FLASH! Pointing out the obvious doesn't make you smart! Pointing out that women were oppressed decades ago doesn't make you progressive and labeling yourself a feminist won't make them want to touch your weiner! Pointing out that white people were sonsabitches to black people doesn't make you racially sensitive. Yes, whites were douchebags, and segregation was terrible. But you know what? That was before you lot were even a cumstain on your mama's uterus! ADDENDUM: RACISM AGAINST WHITES IS STILL RACISM. Racism is not okay, it doesn't matter if the party being the jerk is black and the other white, it's still a bad thing.

Oh, and I love how you try to make me sound like a sexist or homophobic, because that just SCREAMS maturity.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Demonio Penguino said:
ARCTIC_EAGLE said:
Wow, worst review EVER! Any professional review would give this game, the most amazing in history, a 90-100 or 4/5. Every single part of this game is new and interesting and amazing, you're inability to recognize that demonstrates how bad you are at reviewing. When COD:B03 comes out in 2 years you can correct you mistake by giving it a 90-100 like every other reviewer will. Be sure to do the same for COD:MW4, COD:MW5, COD:BO4, COD:MW6, etc. They will ALL be amazing and look amazing and just be more amazing then the amazingly amazing game that came before. In fact they'll be so amazing they'll amaze you into an amazement coma of amazement.
And here we have exhibit "A" of the modern gamer: the rabid idiot.
The absolute most common type of modern gamer, traits include raving about how Call of Duty is the greatest game ever and how anyone who says otherwise deserves to die.
Ladies and gentlemen, Exhibit A of the common Escapist member: Traits include a complete inability to grasp the subtleties of sarcasm, despite overwhelming evidence the the "rabid idiot" is TAKING THE PISS!!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Guys, seriously LET IT GO! We are accomplishing absolutely nothing here. To anyone reading the post, do yourself a favor, step away from your computer, walk away and cool down for a few minutes. I recommend getting a glass of water. Let the anger seep out. This isn't accomplishing anything other than generating headaches. Come on, we're not enemies here.

altereggo

Jul 27, 2011
I don't expect Yahtzee to care, but he just lost me as a viewer. I don't like any of the Call of Modern Battlefield games, but this review was both unamusing, uninformative, and quite frankly offensive.
Want to complain about racism in games? You can and have made a lot of valid (and witty) arguments. But slinging tired old insults at the very people you should be trying to convince isn't constructive--it's just hateful ranting.
Worse, it's boring hateful ranting that makes you wonder if Yahtzee shouldn't just start yelling at his bathroom mirror instead of an audience.

I'm a right-wing American gun nut who increasingly finds imperialism and racism in video games and movies distasteful. But your tiresome lefty hate-fest almost made me want to buy a game I know I'd hate. Especially once people like Ultratwinkie started chiming in on the "evil white people" angle.
Here's a hint, guys: the majority of people ignore your arguments, not because we're brainwashed by a giant right-wing conspiracy, but because we just don't want to be associated with rude people who brand us "the enemy".

Also Grach: get that game of yours made, and I'll buy it for All My Money.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Machine Man 1992 said:
Alright, let me explain.

After reviewing the past 13 pages of some of the most asinine, white guilting, creator fellating, pseudo intellectual bullshit, I felt then would have been a good time to unleash a years worth of hate, scorn, and bile upon these cretins.
[img/]http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/24985958.jpg[/img]
ah I see.....all thease nasty different opinions are making you upset,

ok sure I'll roll my eyes when I see this ting has decended into a race debate and I roll my eyes even harder when I see people with the attitude [i/]oh YES! yahtzee! I shall not be touching this I don;t play a game unless YOU like it yahtzee naw haw haw haw[/i] <-but that not reason to go off on a big old hate rant against the site

[quote/]These jack wads who generalize all players of FPSs as raging homophobes, neo-conservative extremists, as the lowest of the gaming totem pole. I makes me angry.[/quote]
all FPS players? I think you mean "COD/modern military" players, because they do not represent the FPS genre as a whole (only whats popular right now) and yeah that sucks...I mean apasrently I'm awful because I like AAA games and am not shouting from my lawn at how awful games are today and pining for the days of complex slow number crunching games on my computer

yes there is a bias but not everyone thinks that (or is too much of an ass to think that)

[quote/]The Escapist forums are the most homogenized and disgusting forums on teh interwebz, full of idiots who can't not follow the herd like a bunch of sheep in ironic t-shirts.[/quote]
I used to get bothered by the "opinion hivemind" too...but then I realised its kind of pointless, it doesnt matter...dicks are dicks, again NOT everyone thinks the same..but they are however allowed to dislike the things you dislike

[quote/]NEWS FLASH! Pointing out the obvious doesn't make you smart! Pointing out that women were oppressed decades ago doesn't make you progressive and labeling yourself a feminist won't make them want to touch your weiner![/quote]
yes because thats OBVIOUSLY why they say thease things...on the internet, men can't self identify as feminists because only women can do that because we are suposed to be locked in a gender battle for all eterinity?

its just an opinion you don't like

[quote/]Pointing out that white people were sonsabitches to black people doesn't make you racially sensitive. Yes, whites were douchebags, and segregation was terrible. But you know what? That was before you lot were even a cumstain on your mama's uterus! ADDENDUM: RACISM AGAINST WHITES IS STILL RACISM. Racism is not okay, it doesn't matter if the party being the jerk is black and the other white, it's still a bad thing.[/quote]
while that is a point on the otherside of things theres always people who will foul and try and play victem...like mens rights talking about the evil feminists holding them down, but this isn't even what we are talking about

I don't know the context of that response but again...its an opinion you don't like

[quote/]Oh, and I love how you try to make me sound like a sexist or homophobic, because that just SCREAMS maturity.[/quote]
*facepalm* you.....telling ME about maturity- oh nevermind

I wasn;t actually, my point was you thourght it was OK to insult, generalise and overall say some awful stupid things and apply to it to ALL of us...probably because we are only an internet forum...kind of like what you said above "hate and generalisations amongst a group is still hate and generalisation and not ok" if you saw somone say such things about another group (like the ones I mentioned) you'd probably think them a fucking 9racist/homophobe/mysoganist) idiot...or mabye just a plain idiot

my point is if you feel the need to rant and get angry thats perfectly fine..just don;t be an ass about it because people will respond

EDIT: and Demonio Penguino's comment pissed me off as well

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Vault101 said:
You're trying to scrutinize angry ranting made in the middle of the night from someone who has completely stopped giving a shit about what some punk-tard on the intertubes says.

This is not a fight you're going to win.

altereggo

Jul 27, 2011
Ultratwinkie said:
I don't care what side you're on, I care about facts.
And the best way to prepare people to listen to your facts is with massive rants about how all the people who disagree with you are awful fox news watching braindead redneck zombies. Oh, and there was also something about us sticking to our armchairs, or something? Not quite sure what his insult was about there.
Please note that I'm talking about Yahtzee, not you. All I'm accusing you of is coming out swinging the "white privilege" club at people who don't think his language is called for.

I'm sorry. We all know the world has problems. We all know it's not fair. But when I hear people say "maybe people should be sent to prison for writing anti-social things on Twitter. It would teach them a lesson", I kinda lose interest in hearing the rest of their solutions, you know?
I'm closeted at work, and before the election I had to listen to three Daily Kos reading coworkers sagely inform me that reintroducing slavery is part of the secret republican platform. What do pure facts matter when you're dealing with people who treat their "progressive" agenda like a Holy Crusade?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Machine Man 1992 said:
You're trying to scrutinize angry ranting made in the middle of the night from someone who has completely stopped giving a shit about what some punk-tard on the intertubes says.

This is not a fight you're going to win.
so essentially you admit it was bullshit?

altereggo

Jul 27, 2011
Ultratwinkie said:
He could have made his case that Blops II glorifying a dark chapter in American history is in poor taste much more clearly.
And (and this is my sole original point), he could have done it without attacking 40% of Americans as a pointless, boring preamble. Most of whom have probably never played the game, and wouldn't like it if they had. Like I said, he made his case so badly he almost had me supporting the game.

Guilt solves nothing. We won't feel better if we guilt trip someone. We will feel better when its solved and we can put it all the negativity behind us. That's what people are asking for, solutions. Not guilt.
Guilt is a weapon used to stop people opposing the wielder's agenda. It's the left's version of "why do you hate America?". It stifles debate, and lets the accuser do whatever they want in the name of "solving the problems your skin color/gender/nose shape is responsible for".

People can't differentiate fiction and reality when it comes to guns because gun knowledge isn't wide spread.
Yes. That's something we're trying to cure over here with proper weapons education and familiarization. Generations of people have been brainwashed into believing that war is a noble and good, as long as you ban "barbaric" weapons like cluster bombs. Learning the martial arts is essential to truly understand the horrors of using violence to control people.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
An episode of Zero Punctuation where the comments have reached almost 500?

I bet people are just discussing in a totally pleasant manner about how well made the video was, and how far Yahtzee has come as a reviewer in the past 5 years.

Yup, I bet there are no arguments or non-sequiturs in this thread at all. Just good solid chat about Zero Punctuation.