Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
pdgeorge said:
Wirelink said:
i was expecting him to talk more about the Blood on the screen which i find idiotic, haven't they found a more subtle way of letting you know you are being shot at? like for instance, NOTHING; cause that's what that blood really is, a punch in the face letting you know you've been shot gravely, WELL you can see that by looking at your HP, you don't need your screen flooded with Strawberry Juice like you are some kind of a retarded one winged bat and can't see that your HP has changed. What.. he got shot in the leg and then took some blood from the wound and rubbed it on his eyes? and he had to be pretty fast to do that, seeing that there is no animation in the game to suggest it. But then again, i think they implemented that feature just to catch your attention, they realized the game has nothing new to offer, to glue your eyes to the screen, and so they throw with tomatoes at you. I personally don't feel comfortable playing a game that throws tomatoes at me.
Tell me, how do you show 'pain' in a medium where the only feedback is sound, vision and a vibrating controller (that can be turned off, and will be if the controller vibrates more then the player likes).
I admit it doesn't make much realistic sence, but what is really ment to be shown is 'your hurt, you can't see great (things get blured aswell) because you've been shot somewhere on your body and it's a crap load harder to focus on what is directly infront of you' and as it fades away thats you regenerating your health. Yes regenerating health isn't realistic in the slightest either.
Then again theres the good old fashioned static health, where it only goes up or down when you have been attacked or pick up a med-pack (which make just as little sence in my books) but then if you get hit by something and have to go a long way on little health, you can either do that with no sign of 'pain' or anything inhibiting your ability to fight just as well as you did at 100% health, or you have your eyes blurred with shaking of your character with something else obscuring the ability to play untill you pick up a medpack which brings you back to 100% health and lets you be bad ass again. And in some situations, you don't want to get up to the tough part of a level and spend half of it in a hindered state. It would get far too frustrating.

Personally, I love the game but I hate the *@$*ing lag. Australian here, I don't mind non-dedicated servers, I've been a concole gamer for the majority of the last few years but atleast have a better form of sorting, give us the option of "only look for matches in your country" or something else so us Aussies (and others around the world) arn't forced to play with international hosts averaging a red bar on most matches (yellow if lucky, and no before 'its your internet connection dood!' comes out, I've played private matches with friends when they are online and we all end up with perfect green)
I can't tell you how frustrating it is to play a match, watching 'killcam' to see that the kill you THOUGHT you had never even happened. On your screen, you see your knife go through the other persons body, hear the knife on flesh sound effect only for a second later the guy turns around and shoots you. In the killcam view, your still running up to him. Have that happen 3-4 times in a match, loose the match by 10-15 kills and find out your entire team was suffering lag while the other team was pure green. That has happened to me in atleast 20 of the 70 or so matches I've played so far (havn't had enough time to play it enough sadly... I've played it all different times, from 2pm till 7am and it's almost always the same story)
I'd play a game that shocked me everytime I got injured. That would be intense. Just light shocks to random places on the body (so not to develop any sort of seizures).

Bourne Endeavor

May 14, 2008
Hmm, alright I suppose and while neverhaving played the game as of yet. I personally found this to be one of Yahtzee's lacking reviews, at least by comparison.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
After hearing countless positive play-by-play stories about this game, I was rather glad to watch this review (albeit all late-like). The way he talks, this is the best game ever made, but I was doubtful about that at best and was leery about picking the game up when I finally broke down and bought myself an XBox (once I do I think there will only be 2 or 3 folks left in the US without one...).

But 6 hours of solo play? Forget it. I can kill people online in the MMO I play, so there's no need for me to even bother waking up someone up to play a co-op when I feel like being a c*nt and ruining someone else's day.

Hey, I work nights, it's not unusual for me to want to do something like that at around 3 am when I'm bored with the internet...

y1fella

Jul 29, 2009
i did not buy that game for a realistic and gritty depiction of modern war i bought that game for intense gameplay and a james bonds esque story. I was not disapointed. you are critisizing this game for what it claims to be. thats just poor reviewing

Belbe

Oct 12, 2009
Funny what people have said here, but like Yahtzee said - in the end everyone probably has a copy of MW2 whether they admit it or not, money made. Whatever content, they could care less about what you think lol.
Great review.

Skooterz

Jul 22, 2009
Zefar said:
Skooterz said:
Zefar said:
That is 6 hours on Hardened. One step below Veteran(Hardest). If you play it on Easy or Medium you'll probably rush through it in 3 to 4 hours at most.

Nice review but I found it a bit confusing, like the whole story in MW2. Still don't see what Shepard would gain to declare war with a nation.
Took me 5 hours on Veteran. *shrug*
Was it on 360? Because I saw that insane aimbot you guys had in SP which was just silly. It'd be easy if I had that too. Just snap aim on people and fire a bit.
If it's on PC you are just insanely good.
Nah, PS3. I don't use aimbots. Maybe I was just lucky.

Mylon

Jan 8, 2008
So how does this game "feel", anyhow? One thing I hate about most FPS games is how rigid and clunky the game itself feels, how much it all falls down to being able to hide behind that magic door that looks like wood but is made of neutronium, and so on.

MW1 was nice because it's one of the few games where one has to look down the sights to aim, trying to bunny hop is a great way to get slowed to a crawl, not hit anything, and get shot, and flashbangs at least seem somewhat useful and grenades are very useful without being overkill. I tried to play Left for Dead during the free play weekend and it felt exactly like Quake 2. Had more polygons and more shades of black, but otherwise reminded me of why I hate most FPS games. It's not because I dislike FPS games as a whole, but because they're too arcady.

ChaosGenesis

Mar 11, 2009
TheRealCJ said:
ChaosGenesis said:
Fantastic game. Short (but fun) campaign, spec ops was great and amazing multiplayer.
Definitely worth buying.

And if I may.... why does everyone keep saying the story isn't realistic... it's a video game. It doesn't have to be. But it's fun. Isn't that what matters? Just sayin'
Mostly because it's the latest installment in a series that prides itself on realism.

Okay, if somebody complained that say, Turok, was unrealistic, I'd agree with you. But Call of Duty has had 5 more-or-less historically accurate (for a given value of 'accurate') WWII shooters, and the Call of Duty 4's story was at least plausable
*coughnazizombiescough*
Yeah yeah, I know that's not the story mode.

I don't know. I don't remember them saying MW2 was going to be realistic. And even as it is, it's realistic in a lot of ways and as far as I'm concerned the story is plausible (however VERY VERY VERY unlikely).
Regardless. I still don't think it should matter. But that's just my opinion.
Now I'm gonna go nuke some fools :D

Donttazemehbro

Nov 24, 2009
Its amazing how well MW2 did on the first day, and i believe each person owns about 2.7 copies except me i only have 1. It was a great game i the shortness of the campaign was made up by the multiplayer but as he specified, a lot of people don't care about multiplayer

jigs160

Oct 18, 2009
ST3FAN said:
He was rather nice to the game i think. Really the only complaint against the game was the story. But hey good review anyway. Better than any review from any other website.
Shepard was pained that he lost 30,000 of his men in the Nuke from CoD4. So, in order to get more recruits into the Army/Rangers whatever, he would instigate war with Russia. To do this, he hired Makarov, a very high power Ultranationalist to conduct a massacre on a Russian airport. He tells Makarov that Allen is an undercover CIA agent, and to kill him so that when they find the body, war would start(Which is why Makarov said that this would be sending a message, and that Shepard said "You will be saving the lives of many with what you start here"). Shit happens, Shepard decides to break out Price because he thought he could use him like he has been using Soap, Gaz, and Roach. Price copies MacMillan word for word the entire level, then nukes the east coast. Instead of the nuke detonating as a nuke, he detonates it as an EMP to cut off all electronics. This does two thing. First, it cuts all of the Russian fleet off from their homeland. Second, it was supposed to stop the carpet bombing of DC, which Price was believing was just about to start. Gaz and Roach decide to storm Makarov's warehouse, where they transfer all the files about Makarov, which presumably had the data regarding the deal between Makarov and Shepard. Shepard kills Roach and Gaz once he has the box, because they would know where it would be, which could boil over on Shepard if they were alive. Soap and Price go to kill Shepard, knife in eye, the end.
Funny part was, Shepard was supposed to come out a war hero at the end of this.
got this from /v/

TransMando

Jul 15, 2009
This game was 'special'. Love the first Modern Warfare, but this one really fell on its face. Why can't we get both an epic campaign (meaning at least 10 hours) with an epic multiplayer? Not everyone has access to superman speed internet 100% of the time year round and not everyone likes that sort of thing. Hit the campaign players and the online players with one quick stroke and make everyone happy.

Chaos scorch NL

Oct 27, 2008
noo in mw III u should be the terrorists so you can die by blowing yourself up at the end of every level or maybe even more times in one level

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Of course if Modern Warfare 2 is any example that producer logic seems to working quite well. And also the world seems to be inhabited by several million robots.

Gormalysis

Nov 18, 2009
joe51498 said:
It does not have 6 hours of single player you retarted chimpanzee its NOT 6 hours I REPEAT its atleast 12 hours of solid game play
Your attempt at humour = Fail.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
y1fella said:
i did not buy that game for a realistic and gritty depiction of modern war i bought that game for intense gameplay and a james bonds esque story. I was not disapointed. you are critisizing this game for what it claims to be. thats just poor reviewing
Actually the story of this game isn't really that good, face it, if Modern Warfare was a movie it would have tanked in the box office for how cliched and generic the plot and characters were...lol

But then again people aren't exactly buying MW2 for its story now are they...0o

hclarke15

May 24, 2009
joe51498 said:
It does not have 6 hours of single player you retarted chimpanzee its NOT 6 hours I REPEAT its atleast 12 hours of solid game play
It's 6 hours if you aren't terrible at video games