Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Heh heh, a funny one and pretty much agrees with what I thought of it.

The single player was really short. Maybe putting more time into the missions just playing and shooting dudes would help not only lengthen the time to play Campaign but probably also could have helped those 'Shocking' plot moments by spacing them out a bit or actually put something in to explain them logically.

Spec Ops is very fun too but unfortunately for me it'll be near if not completely impossible for me to beat on Veteran unless...

1) One of my actual friends is online (not random LIVE dude I played a good match in Halo in 3 months ago...)

2) When I can get with my friends... we don't lag all to hell.

Xerxes250

May 18, 2009
I was hoping that he would rag on the silly plot, everyone I tell that to throws their drinks at me. (Also I have one of those sweet Russian hats)

CopperKat

Sep 30, 2009
With most games he's completely right to treat the online multiplayer as an extra, but he really can't get away with a review without playing it. I'm a little disappointed.

Baconmonster723

Mar 4, 2009
By the way anyone confused by the story this should help.
THE FOLLOWING LINK CONTAINS MASSIVE STORY SPOILERS FOR CALL OF DUTY:MODERN WARFARE 2

http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=15099

While it may seem far-fetched for a game that seems to want to be realistic, do you really find it that unrealistic? It's happened multiple times in the course of human history. It's not unrealistic, it's quite common. Super Powers love to knock each other off. They just decided to choose the two of the most notable. (minus China who really just doesn't care about anything) Something like this always sparks a war. Wars don't just "happen" there is a specific reason for them and this one is no different. It is a unique approach to the beginnings of a war, but that doesn't make it bad. Is the story short. yes. Is the story confusing. somewhat. should you rag on what you don't understand. No, ignorance is not an excuse.

If that still doesn't clear up the story for you and you still have questions send me a PM and I'll try to clear up what I can. Granted, I am not a developer or writer so I can't tell you precisely what is meant. So any information I provide is not necessarily completely correct.

Remember the most important lines of this storyline are (Possible Spoilers)

"History is written by the victors" -Shepard
"5 years ago I lost 30,000 men while the world watched." -Shepard
"How long until we go to Moscow? I don't know, but I know when we get there we'll burn everything to the ground" -Two Privates after retaking the White House
"Makarov's a mad dog, he sells his allegience to the highest bidder." -Shepard
"Alright Shepard, you have a blank check, do what needs to be done" -Unknown man in bunker in Colorado (possibly the president? Not likely but who knows)

Quotes may not be exact but I believe I got the gist across with each.

By the way Yahtzee, you are by far the best critic out there. You put forth a great effort to get laughs while providing a very good review almost every week. Keep up the good work. Oh and can I have my Christmas present early!!!!!!!!! I want a Borderlands review!!!!!

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
I find it funny how Yahtzee made no mention of the "dedicated servers" controversy. I was preety convinced he was going to make fun of the whole affair.

Anyway, his review has only enforced my decision to not buy the game. The plot in the original Modern Warfare did not make sense at times (Communist Ultranationalists is one of the ultimate oxymorons), but it was still quite believeable and engaging. But now that I know about the exaggarations in the sequel, I am even less interested (not that the lack of dedicated servers wasn`t a deal breaker enough in itself).

FireFox170

Dec 15, 2007
Should've had a special version where all the Russians were portrayed as Bears riding Unicycles

deadly.by.design

Jan 30, 2008
The best part? Solid Soap.

IMO, it was six hours of fun, twisty, explodey action. Or maybe a roller coaster ride through an alternate history Cold War. (although it wouldn't be so cold then, nowuddit?)

civver

May 15, 2009
Right on the money with the whole "your character gets screwed" experiences. When you try that sort of thing, the gamer is desensitized to the emotional impact and it just becomes cliched. And from watching some campaign missions, a lot of it does seem to be hiding in cover. Still wondering why they haven't expanded much on the coop option. Is it really hard to add coop to the campaign? Story's ridiculous and cliched (lolibetrayu), of course.

And yeah, those hats are quite sweet.

Also, Infinity Ward, a nuke can't have a shock wave in space. There's no air there, you know.

Dr. Gorgenflex

May 10, 2009
I though Yahtzee would avoid doing this, I should probably watch the video before I comment, but I was shocked to see it.

FireFox170

Dec 15, 2007
I though Yahtzee would avoid doing this, I should probably watch the video before I comment, but I was shocked to see it.
Why would he avoid it? He enjoyed the story of the first one.

Smack-Ferret

Jul 14, 2009
skywing said:
Nice, I agree with most of that too. Co-op missions were the best. Also, the stupid cheap deaths every ten seconds in the campaign really piss me off.
3 words for ya: Gulag shower room.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Yeah, that game's pretty popular as of late... Doesn't interest me, though.

DeASplode

Nov 26, 2009
Best thing about the game is Special Ops.
Hopefully they'll release more missions for it, not near enough UNGAY SNIPER MISSIONS and sneaky type missions.

Also, I lol'ed at Soaps haircut.

RoseBridge

Oct 27, 2009
Fricken Hamster said:
archyoda77 said:
Niace you got it before the Yahtzee's automated post

Anyways, the single player was way too short. Now multiplayer sucks on PC, so theres no reason to get it.

AND SNIPER TEAMS ARE NO GAY AT ALL
yeah that's true single pretty short I did enjoy it lot though sans favela which is hell on veteran. This definitely is a console game since its broken for PC users. and why no co-op for single? WaW did it its not like its impossible.