Zero Punctuation: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Sabinfrost

Mar 2, 2011
Nothing wrong with reviewing the classics, if it gets them out there for a new generation of gamers fantastic. I remember playing this game when it first came out and I shelved almost everything else at the time, to have a few more people know it exists and can be downloaded on xbox is nothing but brilliant.

darmey

Sep 10, 2008
Squeezed enough ads in there, Escapist? I'm pretty sure you can get some fucking more in before the video actually starts.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Dragonpit said:
It was an interesting review to be sure. Unfortunately, unless SotN is in the Xbox marketplace, I won't be able to try it for a while. I originally didn't want to try it because the exploration of that level was just too daunting for me, but I've recently been thinking of trying it out despite that and to spite myself for it. But oh well...At least I've still got Pony parodies and Castle Crashers.
Symphony of the Night kind of IS on the Xbox Marketplace.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Castlevania-SOTN/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410847

Have fun.

Rheinmetall

May 13, 2011
Hi Ben,
nice and interesting review. In a way I have idolized SoTN, so I couldn't see the negatives of the game.
You didn't mention anything about the music. Did you like it?

Trippeh

Feb 25, 2010
nice review. i sure wish i had the saturn version though for the extra dungeon etc. well... i guess there's always emulators.

agreed about the crissaegrim thing above though. once you go out of your way (and you WILL go out of your way to find the best weapons) the game becomes rediculously easy... shield rod + alucard shield combo? oh dear... but this is one of 'those' games where people are still doing 'speed runs' or 'short sword runs' so i guess that kind of does make it a pretty good classic in that we don't need 'achievements' because we'll forever be setting our own challenges.

i also very much enjoyed finding the hidden elements of the game -- from the special 'bat move' to the upside down castle to the sun sword that spawns skeletal warriors -- it was all very cool that this wasn't just presented on a plate for idiots, and instead left for you to find on your own.

we need more metroidvania games!

Rodrigo Girao

May 13, 2011
To actually enjoy Symphon-- er, I mean, Devil's Castle Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight, the way it was MEANT to be, you must get the fan-translated version, not the silly official one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rBGKVgXYjM

Randvek

Jan 5, 2010
Rodrigo Girao said:
To actually enjoy Symphon-- er, I mean, Devil's Castle Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight, the way it was MEANT to be, you must get the fan-translated version, not the silly official one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rBGKVgXYjM
Enough talk! Have at you!

bluefire4000

Mar 25, 2011
I never played a Castlevania game until the GBA and quickly fell in love with the games so when this game (one I heard is a fan favorite) was on the XBLA I picked it up. While I did enjoy it there were things that annoyed me. I was happy that Yahtzee pointed out the most egregious one being the knockback from any damage.

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
Never heard of Symphony of the Night. If you're review taught me anything, i might as well try it.

Great review as always.

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
Noooo! Not the Fleamen! Not the Fleamen!!

This was one of my favorite psx games.

If you haven't played Shadow Complex, then you're missing the next best game in this playstyle.

RedMagic

Feb 16, 2011
Now this is a surprise, a good and refreshing one to boot. I didn't expect Symphony of the Night to be reviewed. Now past images of spamming the backdash button are all coming back to me.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Sonic Doctor said:
A definite surprise review. It is one of the best games I have played.

I only have two 100% completion games on my 360 and I'm proud to say this is one of them. I would say the hardest achievement was to preform all the different magic combos, each part had to be entered so fast that it was hard to do with the 360 controller.

My favorite achievement was "Explore all 200.6% of the castle."

Caramel Frappe said:
Also.. since when does a vampire turn into poisonous gas?! That's overdoing it, but what character doesn't these days?
Well if he can change into a bat, why not poisonous gas and a purple wolf as well? =P
Probably because a lot of vampires can turn into bats anyway.

A Gray Phantom

Mar 4, 2011
Alucard was the main villain in "Son of Dracula," which was the third installment of the Dracual franchise.

Just throwing that out there.

Malacite

Feb 21, 2009
#1) I'm amazed he didn't crap on this game, as he usually does with almost everything - Good on you Yahtzee, because I'd have to hate you otherwise what with it being ONE OF THE GREATEST GAMES EVER MADE!

#2) Why just now? Methinks someone was bored to tears :(

vikeif

Sep 22, 2008
Thank you yahtzee, for the reference to the fucking Marsil! (Flaming Sword of pettiness)

Lepreykan

Jan 14, 2008
Alrighty... I've never had the want to comment but on this one yes... alright... SON is kinda old and more than last years news, but once you play SON you nee to try and play COD (Curse of Darkness)... it was what kind of revived the SON gameplay that Castlevania games were missing after SON... you get some of the same drudge mixed into the mix and there is a multi level dungeon which takes you back to Zelda: Wind Waker almost but is does capture most elements in a more up tp date theme... and yes... death and dracula are in this one unlike that other abomination... sigh... I digress.. anways... big fan of your reviews... and if you thought there was some good aspects tp SON, I do recommend COD and would like to here what you think of that...

hink86

May 17, 2011
loved the game and the review. was there any big difference between the japan release and the US version?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Ok question: In that SOCOM game, since I'm from Canada would the characters all sound like Bob and Doug McKenzie or do we get lumped in with the Americans (again)?