Zero Punctuation: Crysis

Seano95

Dec 10, 2007
I may give Crysis a try in 30 years when the aforementioned computer that doesn't exist for which Crysis was built no longer costs as much as I will make during my life grand total. Maybe.

Personally, Crysis was too soon. If someone had gone 'LETZ MAKE US A SUPAH GRAFIX GAME GUYZ' to a team of like minded graphics-centric game developers today, and the game had been finished for late 2010, then it would have been a lot more favorably received. It wouldn't have been a stand out because it was two or three steps up graphically from the norm, but there you go.

beepit

Jan 3, 2008
is it me, or did yatzee talk rely, RELY slow in this one (compared to the others of course :p)

4C3C|24Ck

Nov 7, 2007
Fun Fact: "In order to play Crysis, you would need a PC worth the money and organs of all the people in [Insert subject's hometown here]."

Muddy62

Jan 2, 2008
JakubK666 said:
Muddy62 said:
Excellent REVIEW YAHTZEE
you hit the nail on the hammer before this came out everyone was like"oh this will be one of the best games ever its going to set a new standARds
Well it did...anybody know a game with better graphics.In fact can anybody think of the game that can top Crysis within the next 5 years?
Yes i can think of a better gamplay thats asasins creed well i think that anyway and fro graphics cod4 preety good and so is asasins creed and there is also frontline fuels of war coming out this year and it is ment to replace one of the best games ever battlefield 2

slyder35

Jan 16, 2008
JakubK666 said:
Muddy62 said:
Excellent REVIEW YAHTZEE
you hit the nail on the hammer before this came out everyone was like"oh this will be one of the best games ever its going to set a new standARds
Well it did...anybody know a game with better graphics.In fact can anybody think of the game that can top Crysis within the next 5 years?
That's like saying "can anybody think of a Movie that will top this Movie in 5 years?" What a stupid question.

sergeantz

Nov 4, 2007
JakubK666 said:
No, but I attribute it to my not being able to see the future.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
XaVierDK said:
BonsaiK said:
He did say it was a "game for sightseers" so it's only a recommendation for people with more money than brains who like 'teh pretties', really. I'm just glad that he didn't go ga-ga for it like most of the PC magazines have. Seems reviewers across the board are so sucked in by graphics these days that it's a total embarrassment to gaming culture, that they think we're as superficial as they are.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you there...
Crysis is a game for people who like to think for themselves, even when they've got high-tech equipment in their hands... I've said it before in different places, I'll say it here again:
If you're not having fun in Crysis, it's your own fault entirely... If you can't have fun playing super/Hollow-man, then that's your problem... Crysis is THE shooter right now, who offers the most choice as to how to do things... And it's not just in the visuals, unless of course by visuals you also mean physics...
And the AI isn't that bad, how would you react if your camp was fell upon by a seemingly unstoppable super-soldier? I agree they're not always the brightest, but not a lot of games (shooters mostly, many others as well) have what could be defined as truly beliveable AI... (and if you mention COD4 as a good game in aspects that Crysis excel at, solely because it runs well on your 3 year old PC, I'm gonna rip you a new one)

And trust me, if you take just 15 minutes of your precious time to find which settings work for your PC, even a PC with less than stellar hardware can play Crysis and enjoy the visuals at the same time... A few pointers though:
1. Keep physics above "low", as it turns off destructability.

2. keep Shaders at "high" as anything below that disables HDR-lighting.

3. shadows and textures are two good things to turn down if you expirience slow performance, it won't hurt the image quality too much, and you'll see a reasonable performance gain.

And Crysis is by no means a generic shooter, because no generic shooter has the replayability of Crysis... As I said above, Crysis is about being creative on your own, not always following what the game tells you to do ("take that vehicle" means "you COULD take it" etc.), and you really need to look beyond the graphics to see this (ironically, as it seems people who complain about poor gameplay are stuck with the fact that they apparently can't run the game properly for some reason or other)...

You say you will not pick up Crysis due to cost, I say pick it up regardless... There's more to it than meets the eye (uh-oh, nerd reference).. ;-)

Best Regards
I see Sir you never actually played Deus-Ex or alike since then you would not talk such rubbish. "Real" choice is something else then "faking" to have real choice ;)

stacia123

Nov 8, 2007
I really came away from this review not knowing anything about the game except that it's pretty, and that it would point and laugh at my aged PC.

What's a Columbo?

Ciarog

Nov 21, 2007
stacia123 said:
What's a Columbo?
A 1970's American detective TV series. It's one of relatively few shows to use the inverted mystery format, where the perpetrator of the crime is known to the audience from the start and the plot focuses on the main character figuring it out for himself. Lieutenant Columbo is known for his ruffled appearance, deceptively dawdling persona and his driving of a beat-up 1959 Peugeot 403 Cabriolet convertible. I never cared much for the series itself but the main character is indeed perfect; I mean he'd have to be if he owned William Shatner and Johny Cash!