Zero Punctuation: Cuphead

BarkBarker

New member
May 30, 2013
466
0
0
Suffering requires pay off beyond "I did it", in all areas of life especially when I am paying for the pleasure to suffer.
 

Blazing Hero

New member
Feb 20, 2015
158
0
0
I am actually rather surprised he enjoyed it. Don't get me wrong it is a good game but Yahtzee never striked me as the type who would enjoy an old fashioned Contra style shooter.
 

MrCatchTwenty2

New member
Aug 21, 2014
22
0
0
This is the first time I can remember that yahtzee has ever mentioned a hypothetical wife or hypothetical children. I know he doesn't have either so could this sudden mention of both be a unconscious be a sign of wedding bells playing in Yahtzee's head?
 

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
1,908
0
0
MrCatchTwenty2 said:
This is the first time I can remember that yahtzee has ever mentioned a hypothetical wife or hypothetical children. I know he doesn't have either so could this sudden mention of both be a unconscious be a sign of wedding bells playing in Yahtzee's head?
YouTube keeps recommending a show called "Yahtzee pesters his girlfriend with (name of some game)", or something like that. Perhaps our old pal Ben has finally made a lasting relationship? Who'd have thought there'd be someone willing to put up with him after all (snark snark).

Kidding aside, if you are walking down the aisle Yahtzee, consider this congratulations and best wishes for a happy life and happy coupling. Huzzah!

As for Cuphead... I was so looking forward to this game. Now that I have it I'm forced to make a sad realization. I think I'm simply past the point where a game like this is a viable form of entertainment for me. I'm too old, my hands ache too much, and playing it is not only emotionally painful as I lose over and over, it's physically painful as my hands grip the controller so tight during tense moments that I literally can't let go for a few minutes as the joints scream in agony. I think it's time to look for a "lifelong gamer who can no longer game now that being in his 40's has claimed everything worth having" support group or something. *sigh*
 

Cycloptomese

New member
Jun 4, 2015
313
0
0
ZZoMBiE13 said:
MrCatchTwenty2 said:
This is the first time I can remember that yahtzee has ever mentioned a hypothetical wife or hypothetical children. I know he doesn't have either so could this sudden mention of both be a unconscious be a sign of wedding bells playing in Yahtzee's head?
YouTube keeps recommending a show called "Yahtzee pesters his girlfriend with (name of some game)", or something like that. Perhaps our old pal Ben has finally made a lasting relationship? Who'd have thought there'd be someone willing to put up with him after all (snark snark).

Kidding aside, if you are walking down the aisle Yahtzee, consider this congratulations and best wishes for a happy life and happy coupling. Huzzah!

As for Cuphead... I was so looking forward to this game. Now that I have it I'm forced to make a sad realization. I think I'm simply past the point where a game like this is a viable form of entertainment for me. I'm too old, my hands ache too much, and playing it is not only emotionally painful as I lose over and over, it's physically painful as my hands grip the controller so tight during tense moments that I literally can't let go for a few minutes as the joints scream in agony. I think it's time to look for a "lifelong gamer who can no longer game now that being in his 40's has claimed everything worth having" support group or something. *sigh*
I've been playing through it with my son. I can only take just over a couple of hours. My right thumb is pretty sore. It's a great game, though. Sucks getting old.
 

RJ Dalton

New member
Aug 13, 2009
2,285
0
0
*Pauses video to look up the word Elegiac*
Okay, that's done. You may now proceed.
 

Arnoxthe1

New member
Dec 25, 2010
3,374
0
0
Yeah I'm probably never gonna play this game. Hard difficulty is great and everything, but I don't want it just tossed in my face without getting used to it first and warming up to the game. That's the difference between this and Ninja Gaiden II. NGII is pretty hard at the later levels but it warms you up to itself first. Gives a bunch of nice toys and everything you'll need to take everybody down, and THEN it tosses the piano at you.

I miss NGII...
 

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Apr 3, 2020
6,609
236
68
Gender
Male
Blazing Hero said:
I am actually rather surprised he enjoyed it. Don't get me wrong it is a good game but Yahtzee never striked me as the type who would enjoy an old fashioned Contra style shooter.
Honestly, it's more Gunstar Heroes or Alien Soldier[footnote]And if you haven't played either of those, educate yourself; I think they're both on Steam.[/footnote] than Contra. But the point remains very roughly the same. And since he grew up around that period, it makes a bit more sense that he'd be accepting towards them.
 

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
862
0
0
I too get misery boners and frustrated at a happy ending on occasion, but I also grew up in England during the eighties.
Maybe it's a generational thing.
 

C14N

New member
May 28, 2008
250
0
0
The one thing really putting me off this game is the fact that the gameplay footage I have seen of it shows the player's gun as being frustratingly weak. After playing Nier Automata I've kind of gotten tired of the idea of having to hold a shoot button for hours while it does infinitesimal amounts of damage, but at least in Nier you could add in a sword to the mix. That said, I do really like the animation and art style.
 

rembrandtqeinstein

New member
Sep 4, 2009
2,173
0
0
leet_x1337 said:
Blazing Hero said:
I am actually rather surprised he enjoyed it. Don't get me wrong it is a good game but Yahtzee never striked me as the type who would enjoy an old fashioned Contra style shooter.
Honestly, it's more Gunstar Heroes or Alien Soldier[footnote]And if you haven't played either of those, educate yourself; I think they're both on Steam.[/footnote] than Contra. But the point remains very roughly the same. And since he grew up around that period, it makes a bit more sense that he'd be accepting towards them.
Yeah I'm definitely feeling a gunstar heroes vibe in the game.

I was honestly disappointed that you couldn't mix and match weapons. One of the highlights of my adolescence was beating gunstar heros with every weapon combination.
 

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
14,334
0
0
I kinda wish we'd go back to being willing to scare the shit out of our kids instead of being overprotective to the point of absurdity. I remember an old Disney short that ended with Donald Duck dressed as the Devil chasing Huey, Dewey, and Louie with a pitch fork. You certainly wouldn't see that today.

Anyway as for Cuphead I think I'll give it a pass. I'm not fond of that style of animation.
 

linkblade91

New member
Dec 2, 2009
254
0
0
C14N said:
The one thing really putting me off this game is the fact that the gameplay footage I have seen of it shows the player's gun as being frustratingly weak. After playing Nier Automata I've kind of gotten tired of the idea of having to hold a shoot button for hours while it does infinitesimal amounts of damage, but at least in Nier you could add in a sword to the mix. That said, I do really like the animation and art style.
If it makes you feel any better, you can upgrade your arsenal with the coins you find in platforming levels.

Even then, I'm not sure how something so small can put you off of Cuphead when there's so much more here to enjoy. The soundtrack is off-the-charts good, and the game is just so full of charm and love (no love for *you*, though lol).
 

Jaymer 161

New member
Nov 21, 2014
5
0
0
I can't even get this video to load. I keep getting some stupid video ad starting off with a line about waterslides, then after it sits proud and doesn't go into the actual review. I've gone through the browsers, save IE, and tried it on a mobile. The hell is going on?
 

maninahat

New member
Nov 8, 2007
4,397
0
0
Cuphead is the delicious hot curry of videogames: it's painful, but to the point that its satisfying.
 

ToastyMozart

New member
Mar 13, 2012
224
0
0
Canadamus Prime said:
I kinda wish we'd go back to being willing to scare the shit out of our kids instead of being overprotective to the point of absurdity. I remember an old Disney short that ended with Donald Duck dressed as the Devil chasing Huey, Dewey, and Louie with a pitch fork. You certainly wouldn't see that today.
Seriously, it's the childrearing equivalent of not letting a new player fight any enemies at the start of an RPG and then throwing them into the boss room severely underleveled. Kids've gotta learn how to handle shit before there start being major consequences for fucking up.
 

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
14,334
0
0
ToastyMozart said:
Canadamus Prime said:
I kinda wish we'd go back to being willing to scare the shit out of our kids instead of being overprotective to the point of absurdity. I remember an old Disney short that ended with Donald Duck dressed as the Devil chasing Huey, Dewey, and Louie with a pitch fork. You certainly wouldn't see that today.
Seriously, it's the childrearing equivalent of not letting a new player fight any enemies at the start of an RPG and then throwing them into the boss room severely underleveled. Kids've gotta learn how to handle shit before there start being major consequences for fucking up.
That's quite an apt analogy. It's only going to hurt the kid in the long run. Also we wonder why they act like self-entitled little shits.
 

Drathnoxis

Artificial Person
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
3,718
598
118
Country
Canada
Gender
Male
Jaymer 161 said:
I can't even get this video to load. I keep getting some stupid video ad starting off with a line about waterslides, then after it sits proud and doesn't go into the actual review. I've gone through the browsers, save IE, and tried it on a mobile. The hell is going on?
Oh, I had that happen a while back. I thought it might have been because I downloaded all of Yahtzee's videos through the site's RSS feed, but if you haven't done that then I don't know what it might be. It went away after a month or two though.